The outrage when a decision goes in Manchester United’s favour

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
My opinion is that United are a footballing institution. Most of the time that works in your favour. In this very case, in fact. As a result, people will have a bit of a moan about it.

You can take that with pinch of salt if you want. It's not exactly a hot take, though.
If only mate, the fact that you still think this in 2023 is wild but.... oppo fan so I'm not surprised

Bertie Wooster

My opinion is that United are a footballing institution. Most of the time that works in your favour. In this very case, in fact. As a result, people will have a bit of a moan about it.

You can take that with pinch of salt if you want. It's not exactly a hot take, though.
The fact that you think the only reason a penalty wasn't given was biggest we're 'a football institution' - so the whole United, Old Trafford bias, etc - is the very point about why the ABU media spin works so well and is so ingrained.

Penalties are hardly ever given whenever a defender or keeper goes to block a shot, header or cross and the attacker gets it away before the contact. That's just play on, without comment, almost every time. Exactly as happened with Antony at the other end half an hour or so earlier when he chipped the keeper who then fouled him in his follow through. Rightly no mention it should be a penalty because it almost never is. Yet it happens in United's box when we're holding on for a win and suddenly it's a stonewall penalty, only not given because it's against United at Old Trafford, etc...

TsuWave

We’ll be getting some weird decisions against us for the next 15 fixtures now

mctrials23

We'll get loads of shit decisions against us and every time we complain about it people will point at this game and say "you got that decision" like it makes up for 5 decisions that have gone against us.

Refereeing is just bad at times. Not corrupt, just bad. Every team get bad decisions against them. Some are very obvious and clearly change the outcome of a match and others are less well defined. If that Onana foul had come in the 15th minute it wouldn't be quite so spicy. Because it was right at the end of the game its clearly a game changer.

I can't remember which game it was last season where we were denied 2 very clear penalties and there wasn't so much as a peep about it the day after in the media. They didn't even include them in the highlights on match of the day.

United outrage sells like nothing else. The media will dine on this for weeks.

swred

Sky sports reporting that the officials from last nights game haven't been selected for a game this w/end.

I have to agree, it was (in my opinion) a stone wall penalty.
Then again, i used to play as a keeper & it was almost a free for all to take people out & not get booked for it. (Then again that was Saturday league.)

I'm a Utd fan, but i cannot believe they didn't overturn it with VAR.

Not complaining though!

Fr. Todd Unctious

Those decisons are made against United there's no way officials are dropped. In fact even if they were the media would be screeching about how United influencing it and so on

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
People are still traumatized from that OGS season where Utd got 14 pens in the league alone. I mean, it was ridiculous.

BerryBerryShrew

How?

I hope, this is not going to happen again like when Klopp made his comments about penalties, and when we got the offside goal against City. These controversial decisions happens every other game, due to the lack of consistency in refereeing decisions but last 10 years United suffers these dragged out catastrophe headlines way more than other teams. We're being made an example of, and to me if that influences games at a latter stage, it hurts the integrity of the game. These type of situations shouldn't be hidden, but United shouldn't be the end of the conversation, which is the real issue. The head of these refs should be a lot more open for starters.
Not to nitpick, but if you're talking about the Bruno goal where Rashford was offside but didn't touch the ball, it definitely wasn't offside.

There were no grounds to disallow the goal under the rules. I think that the rules were stupid, and I think the rules should have allowed the goal to be chalked off- but they didn't. It can't be compared to an incident like Onana's last night where it was genuinely up to the ref/VAR so bias can be claimed (rightly or wrongly).

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
There's always a level of 'outrage' when any team gets decisions in their favour.

Liverpool in 19/20 there was constant moaning about them getting all the decisions.

Drogba's offside goal at OT was banged on about for years (despite a double slamdunk goal two minutes cancelling that out).

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
There's always a level of 'outrage' when any team gets decisions in their favour.

Liverpool in 19/20 there was constant moaning about them getting all the decisions.

Drogba's offside goal at OT was banged on about for years (despite a double slamdunk goal two minutes cancelling that out).
No one is saying any different, just that obviously United's 'Level' is much, much higher than the rest.

Not sure what you oppo fans find so hard to understand about that?

cyberman

Nah nobody is out to get you, you just get more annoyed because it's your club.
There’s been two rule changes (attempted or muted by Webb) after we received two decisions that we should have gotten last season.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
No one is saying any different, just that obviously United's 'Level' is much, much higher than the rest.

Not sure what you oppo fans find so hard to understand about that?
The fact that they're dredging up things from four seasons ago for Liverpool, and incident from over a decade ago for Chelsea, while literally any decision deemed to be in United's favour is immediately headline news seems to be lost on them.

El Zoido

I can see the argument for a penalty but it’s never a red card, that’s pure insanity.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Red Card now jesus christ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Media meltdown is truly a sight to behold. Spurs to get the softest of Penos then on Saturday and presumably a red card as well for someome. Presumably Cas given the sh**e he received last season

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
This reaction risks training refs to treat United a certain way, and we will suffer the consequences all season.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not to nitpick, but if you're talking about the Bruno goal where Rashford was offside but didn't touch the ball, it definitely wasn't offside.

There were no grounds to disallow the goal under the rules. I think that the rules were stupid, and I think the rules should have allowed the goal to be chalked off- but they didn't. It can't be compared to an incident like Onana's last night where it was genuinely up to the ref/VAR so bias can be claimed (rightly or wrongly).
I seem to remember he interfered with play and touched the ball but your right the controversy was about him not touching but still potentially interfering.

Strelok

I seem to remember he interfered with play and touched the ball but your right the controversy was about him not touching but still potentially interfering.
No he didn't touch the ball. You might say he wanted to touch the ball but realised he's offside and stopped in the last minute to not touch it. The thing is he didn't block anyone nor the keeper's view or interfere with play. This has been discussed to death back then.

Here is a short video explaining:
https://youtube.com/shorts/WY8d87V8Qak?feature=share8

Ghostrider318

Lee Dixon on NBCSN was so upset, it almost felt like he put a decent amount of money on us to lose or draw at halftime

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Some of you really need to let go of this persecution complex.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Tim Sherwood already calling it soft and Keown says its never a penalty. Obviously the group chats are all over it without watching the game saying United rescued again. So boring.