The outrage when a decision goes in Manchester United’s favour

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
There is outrage right now, when a decision went in our favour. That's what the thread is about. Deflecting from that discussion to make it about something weird is what you are doing, not everyone else.
The op suggested the media is out to get you, I found it rawkish. It's what the thread is about.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You tried to turn a silly post poking fun at this into some weird deep analysis.
Because it was a silly post having fun, are you really that shocked to get pressed on it?? Maybe you should sit this one out for real?

Chairman Steve

United has one of the biggest fan bases so all the media outlets will see that as a jackpot to talk about it. Talksport will bait the gullible to call in on some premium price phone number line just to shout at pundits and presenters and not realise they’ve essentially been conned out of money.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
:lol:

Anyway I'm off for a walk, you won this attrition battle.

Bertie Wooster

If that had gone against us we would be fuming - and rightly so. So this particular time - we just have to sit down and accept that we were VERY lucky
But, as far as the thread goes, if that had gone against us, would there have been the same level of reporting and outrage about it in the media? History says no, it would have mostly been glossed over.

DavidDeSchmikes

we got away with one, though keepers always get protection by the refs. Onana won't be the last to swipe out an attacker and get away with it

regarding this thread, we'll have a whole week of conspirational takes

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Oh god we are going to get a battering from refs for about 10 games now aren't we? :lol:
It'll be like the second half of last season after the Bruno/Rashford fiasco against City. Which I fully think should have been offside.

But it was obvious to anyone that we had the scales...adjusted after that against us.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If that had gone against us we would be fuming - and rightly so. So this particular time - we just have to sit down and accept that we were VERY lucky
I don’t think so at all. You’re begging in the last minute. In the cold light of day this just doesn’t get given as a pen as the attacker doesn’t have the ball under control and is deemed to have got there first. It won’t be an issue many many times this season.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Had that incident at the end occurred in a mid table battle between Palace and Brentford it would have barely gotten a mention
United is the biggest club in England, and arguably world, so of course things that happen involving United will generate many more headlines and a lot more talk than when they happen at other clubs.

Dansk

But, as far as the thread goes, if that had gone against us, would there have been the same level of reporting and outrage about it in the media? History says no, it would have mostly been glossed over.
If it had gone against us, suddenly the media and non-United fans would all agree that it wasn't a penalty anyway.

That's the most infuriating part. The excessive outrage is one thing, but the way they somehow interpret reality in whatever way aligns with the ABU spirit is wild. You can be absolutely certain that if an identical situation had happened with the Wolves keeper and a United player, those same people would have decided it wasn't a penalty, and if we'd got one, they'd be outraged.

Dr. StrangeHate

Everyone's against us, ABUs... I mean you lot mock rawk for this all the time.
It is not a conspiracy. It is just something that sells. Social media, news, videos, etc. is all about clicks. Negative stories get even more engagement. The people creating controversy are just doing it for the money. If punching puppies during matches was legal and got more clicks they would be doing that instead.

city-puma

Everton scored a perfect goal against Fulham when Leno rushed out to claim high ball but dropped. The referee took it away and VAR didn’t seem involved at all. No one talked about it afterwards and Sean Dynce freaked out completely.

Drizzle

We won't be getting a lot of decisions this season as a result of this.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
You pride yourselves on being the biggest club in the world. The biggest clubs in the world will always be judged with more scrutiny and they will always be held to higher standards. Take it as the compliment it is and learn to deal with it.

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
We don’t hear the end of it.

I was just listening to TalkSport driving back from the game and Jamie O’Hara and Jason Cundy were incandescent with rage at the non-penalty. Headlines from other media outlets are also ******** ** *** ****- and no doubt Plopp will have his two cents ready as well. This will paradoxically lead to us getting less decisions.

Is it my United bias or is the media outcry always exponentially more when it involves us?
Unfortunately people pick and choose the rules.
Ball was played before Onana clattered into him, fair challenge as he was going for the ball - something keepers get abuse for not doing enough (being brave/physical).
He didn't affect play as the ball was played before the contact.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Paddy Power having their usual meltdown. Some of their stuff can be good but feck me the slightest decision in favour of United and out comes the usual "hilarious" ABU shite. Meanwhile the dippers got plenty last season and *crickets*.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
You pride yourselves on being the biggest club in the world. The biggest clubs in the world will always be judged with more scrutiny and they will always be held to higher standards. Take it as the compliment it is and learn to deal with it.
If the discussion and impact is off the pitch, people wouldn't care. Whenever there is a lot of noise, we get fecked for few games denying blatant penalties. Last few seasons are a joke.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If the discussion and impact is off the pitch, people wouldn't care. Whenever there is a lot of noise, we get fecked for few games denying blatant penalties. Last few seasons are a joke.
Last season showed it, after the Bruno decision in the City game we were shafted for weeks off the refs. Same thing will happen now.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I know plenty Bayernfans stating similar stuff. I believe this to be something that simply comes with being a nations biggest club. People will always make accusations and they will always try to influence refs. But a true top team, st least in my view, should just get over it and go on with tearing their opponents apart. Who gives a shit what they say? Who cares what they tell the refs? You are United and should be above this stuff.

.Phil1968

There was an FA cup game v Barnsley in 98 I think, where they should have had a penalty which wasn't given. The Barnsley MP asked a question in the House of Commons about decisions in our favour, it was laughable.
Ironically in the replay they beat us with a blatantly offside goal which wasn't given the same treatment.
There'll be another rough decision this weekend which the media will cry about and this will be old news.

afrocentricity

We have, it's not like we've just started following United is it? None of this is new, it's just a reoccurring topic.... Prompted today by the decision at the end.

You are United and should be above this stuff
It's a 2 page thread with a few posters letting off steam...... You'd think it was a meltdown! It wouldn't even be 2 pages if oppo fans didn't pop in to explain the obvious, WUM or gaslight..... Not that deep

Last edited:

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
We ruined ALOT of childhoods during the SAF years, these same people are now in positions of influence, media, punditry etc, it's no surprise really.

Heinzesight

We will get shat on from a great height after this. Nothing new.

What fecks me off the most is the Gary O’Neil quote about Jon Moss ‘apology’ has now turned into an official apology by PGMOL according to most ABUs.

Bertie Wooster

I know plenty Bayernfans stating similar stuff. I believe this to be something that simply comes with being a nations biggest club. People will always make accusations and they will always try to influence refs. But a true top team, st least in my view, should just get over it and go on with tearing their opponents apart. Who gives a shit what they say? Who cares what they tell the refs? You are United and should be above this stuff.
The big difference is, you're in the privileged position of likely being comfortable winners by a healthy margin so you can just merrily go on winning Bundesliga titles regardless of everything going on all around.

We've actually only ever won the English top flight under three different managers in our entire history, and the European Cup / CL under two of those same ones (Busby and Ferguson).

So conditions being right is key for our success. And other managers being aided by the national media in influencing referees decisions against us does have a bearing on our chances of success, especially during the times we don't have a Busby or a Ferguson type at the helm producing winning machines.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
United are a giant club. That means favourable decisions get more coverage.

But it also means you're more likely to get favourable decisions. Your fanbase used to be fairly content with that situation overall. It's basically a badge of honour and helps you to be more successful on the pitch.

Ask the Managers of smaller clubs if they'd accept preferential treatment from referees in exchange for a few nobodies whining about it on TalkSport. They'd all take you up on that deal.

As an outsider, claiming that the whole world is out to get you as a result of things going your way is something I'd usually associate with RAWK.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
We'll get shafted for the rest of the season and whenever it gets pointed out pundits will refer back to this incident as justification. A tale as old as time.

If I may don my tin foil hat for a moment, the VAR ref probably knew exactly what they were doing when they didn't even bother asking the on-field ref to review it.

afrocentricity

But it also means you're more likely to get favourable decisions. Your fanbase used to be fairly content with that situation overall. It's basically a badge of honour and helps you to be more successful on the pitch.

Ask the Managers of smaller clubs if they'd accept preferential treatment from referees in exchange for a few nobodies whining about it on TalkSport. They'd all take you up on that deal.

As an outsider, claiming that the whole world is out to get you as a result of things going your way is something I'd usually associate with RAWK.
Again, you're an oppo fan that signed up on a rivals forum. Maybe we should take your opinion with a pinch of salt?

Bertie Wooster

You're ignoring the added on result of the media - and rival managers - 'whining' whenever a big decision has gone, or perceived to have 'wrongly' gone, our way. Which is, we then get openly and deliberately shafted by decisions for the following few games - none of which gets any coverage / acknowledgement from that same media.

Our rivals are also big clubs, so by your reasoning also 'more likely to get favourable decisions' their way. But the lack of media outrage whenever those decisions do go their way means they aren't openly and deliberate screwed in subsequent matches and therefore puts us at a significant disadvantage to our direct rivals, not necessarily the 'smaller clubs' you compare us to.

But when you are asking the managers of those smaller clubs what they'd chose, don't forget to add on that whenever they are perceived to have 'benefitted' from one major decision, they'll then be deliberately screwed over for the next few games. Not sure how many would take you up on that deal.

Last edited:

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Again, you're an oppo fan that signed up on a rivals forum. Maybe we should take your opinion with a pinch of salt?
My opinion is that United are a footballing institution. Most of the time that works in your favour. In this very case, in fact. As a result, people will have a bit of a moan about it.

You can take that with pinch of salt if you want. It's not exactly a hot take, though.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Ramsdale or Allison could do similar this weekend and their won't be anywhere near the same level of "outrage" if at all so it's not just because United are a big club

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
You're ignoring the added on result of the media - and rival managers - 'whining' whenever a big decision has gone, or perceived to have 'wrongly' gone, our way. Which is, we then get openly and deliberately shafted by decisions for the following few games - none of which gets any coverage / acknowledgement from that same media.

Our rivals are also big clubs, so by your reasoning also 'more likely to get favourable decisions' their way. But the lack of media outrage whenever those decisions do go their way means they aren't openly and deliberate screwed in subsequent matches and therefore puts us at a significant disadvantage to our direct rivals, not necessarily the 'smaller clubs' you compare us to.

But when you are asking the managers of those smaller clubs what they'd chose, don't forget to add on that whenever they are perceived to have 'benefitted' from one major decision, they'll then be deliberately screwed over for the next few games. Not sure how many would take you up on that deal.
Every fanbase thinks they get shafted by the referees. It's pretty much the only constant you can find among football fans.

But there's an inherent contradiction is pointing out how many times the media excessively highlight decisions that go United's way while simultaneously claiming that it's having an adverse affect on how they're refereed. United continue to benefit from being a top club. That's why they continue generate attention in that regard.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Every fanbase thinks they get shafted by the referees. It's pretty much the only constant you can find among football fans.

But there's an inherent contradiction is pointing out how many times the media excessively highlight decisions that go United's way while simultaneously claiming that it's having an adverse affect on how they're refereed. United continue to benefit from being a top club. That's why they continue generate attention in that regard.
Every fan base thinks they understand what it's like to be United, you don't, because no other team in this league gets the scrutiny that we do, that can't even be argued.

Bertie Wooster

No, there's no contradiction. Because I clearly said we get shafted for the next few games. Which we do. Then it all dies down and levels out - until we happen to have another big call that is perceived to go in our favour and causes media / rival manager outrage again and the same happens again - with referees so concerned of being accused of pro-United bias for the next few games that they give us pretty much nothing.

It's a cycle that keeps on recurring. And no other team gets that same level of 'outrage' from the media / social media whenever a decision is perceived to have gone their way. That's what consciously / subconsciously influences referees for the next few United matches. No other English clubs suffer from the media putting such direct pressure and influence on referees decisions than United do.