The Patrice Evra Appreciation Thread

prath92

One of the very few United signings to embrace the values, history and traditions of the club. He truly cared and fell in love with it.

Shame not one current United player comes close to him in that regard.
Isn't it too early to say that ? Evra was a true United player after well into his second or third season. It's really early for most in the current team. And the older ones definitely get it including schweini

Why did he leave again?
Afaik because his wife wanted a change in scenery and because we apparently made him sign an extension without his will (not our fault imo. We had an option to extend for a year and we rightly exercised it) but he didn't want to play a back up role to Shaw.

Wonderful servant. We ditched too many of that generation at the same time, even as a squad rotation player i think we could have done with the likes of Evra and rio over the last few seasons.
Hope you are joking. Rio was abysmal for QPR last year. A Rio in his prime I would take without a question though.

jem

What a fecking player! The word legend gets bandied around a bit too easily, and he probably didn't quite perform at that level long enough to be called it, but his passion and skill were just incredible. Where can we find another one?

Shimo

Absolutely loved the club to bits and we felt the same towards him. Can't think of a single player outside of Basti that plays with his desire / passion for us currently. Miss him so much.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What a fecking player! The word legend gets bandied around a bit too easily, and he probably didn't quite perform at that level long enough to be called it, but his passion and skill were just incredible.
He was the best in the world for three seasons, and even after that when he started falling away a bit he was still right up there amongst the best for quite a few more seasons. Combined with his attitude, a definite legend.

Other than Alves, I don't think I've ever seen a fullback so consistently dominate his entire side of the field from goal line to goal line. At his peak he owned the entire left side of the field almost every match.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
A fecking brilliant player on his day, and a credit to the club nonetheless when off it. Should absolutely be made a club ambassador when he retires; the picture above is more evidence of him being a prime example of a player from abroad who "gets" the club.

arthurka

United need more players like him.
Miss him and sad to see him play for Juve when he should be here..

thepolice123

The work he does on the left flank was absolutely incredible. We are really lacking a fullback like him at the moment.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
So a few of us in the Mourinho thread are now in agreement, he should be our next Assistant Manager. Player / Assistant capacity available also. Either way, Mourinho's ex-player assistant guy.

How can anyone not want this? Let's start the movement Caftards!

A reminder:
On playing for United, 2010

“I got a load of DVDs. About the Munich disaster and the Busby Babes, about Bobby Charlton, George Best and Denis Law, about Cantona. The whole story of the club. You meet these people around the club and I wanted to know who they were. What they had done for the club. Out of respect. Because when you shake the hand of Sir Bobby Charlton you can feel the legend. All the young players here need to understand the history of the club. After I watched those DVDs I realised I needed to respect the shirt. I needed to respect the story. Every time I play that is in my head. What a privilege it is to play for Manchester United. When you pull on the shirt you are pulling on history, and I say thanks to God that I play for this club. To be able to come in and train here. To work with legends like Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes. When I arrived here people asked me what excited me most. I said it was not training with Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney but players like Giggs and Scholes. They are the history of the club. Giggs trains like a player who has never won anything in his career. His hunger. His desire to win, even on the training pitch.”
@SirAF @MyOnlySolskjaer

HabeasC

You know that there's no way he'd sit on his arse for an entire game watching it go by. He'd be yelling at the players, antagonising the other side. He'd be brilliant.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I don't think I've ever seen a player love a club with such affinity that isn't his hometown club or the one he came through as a youth.

Nickosaur

I had never even considered it before but now that I have it must happen.

Djemba-Djemba

Eric, Ole and Paddy are the holy trio of foreign players who seemed to treat playing for Utd as if they were lifelong fans. They all formed a bond with the fans every bit as strong as local guys like Scholes and Giggs.

Paddy though, what a player. He seems a total madman, in a good way. Total and utter legend

redflash

Honestly never had such a personal affection for a united player. Absolutely loved him he was and is a legend. The way he spoke about the club was just unbelievable and showed that even though he was not from here he understood he had become a part of the greatest story in football

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The word 'legend' is bandied about as often as the word 'bandied' is bandied about when discussing legends but...Patrice=legend.

togg

Always loved him, totally dedicated to United, I hope he returns in some capacity. He totally got the ethos and history of the club. Not many players in our team can say that today.

Having said that, he got quite a bit of stick on here in those last couple of seasons....just read back!

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
"It maybe early yet but Evra may be out of Man Utd faster than Djemba Djemba or Tiabi. He's shit from what I've seen. What are the scouts playing at recommending a bloke like this. 5 Mil for what?

Fergie and his staff have lost it. I hope the other defender is worth his fee."

Ha! from the match thread of Evras first game. To be fair most were sympathetic to it being a debut in a tough derby game.

cfkane

Him and vidic taught me never to judge a player early and likewise I will give some time for Memphis to grow.
That's the truth! Both had an awful debut as I recall, against City I believe. We gt hammered like 5-0 or something, I think.