The Patronising Babying of Professional Athletes

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
They missed a fecking penalty, it's a hazard of the job, and they are grown men, performing that job. It was tough on them, they will survive it and it'll be a learning experience. Sure they will get some undeserved abuse from idiots and that is shit but stop with the fecking hysteria and lashing out at others.

Edited.

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The poor lad who missed our decisive pen actually looks like a 12 year old. I'm not surprised people are babying him because he shouldn't have been put in that situation.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
Double standards everywhere. When I give the young lads in work a kiss and a cuddle after a bad day I’m a “dangerous predator”. But when Gareth Southgate does it “Ooh, leader of men, he says hello to everyone every morning.” Sick of it. Let’s just all be allowed to cuddle young fellas.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Double standards everywhere. When I give the young lads in work a kiss and a cuddle after a bad day I’m a “dangerous predator”. But when Gareth Southgate does it “Ooh, leader of men, he says hello to everyone every morning.” Sick of it. Let’s just all be allowed to cuddle young fellas.
Your honor as you can see the signs were always there, Mr Brophs' recent actions aren't out of character.

CG1010

They missed a fecking penalty, it's a hazard of the job, and they are grown men, performing that job. It was tough on them, they will survive it and it'll be a learning experience. Sure they will get some undeserved abuse from idiots and that is shit but stop with the fecking hysteria and lashing out at others.

You immature fecking clowns.
You ar trivialising the abuse that is getting hurled their way. Lot of racism also. It's difficult to deal with for experienced pros, not just the likes of Rashford, Sancho and Saka.

It is much more important to call out the unbrindled online abuse rather than the "babying" of atheletes which is your primary concern. Jeez what a terrible thread.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

The issue is going to be the torrent of racial abuse for most.

Also, the history of abuse that United kop every time England fail due to shit house management leading to shirt burning, effigy’s etc.

DickDastardly

Yeah, it certainly won't define them as players or people.....

And surely there won't produce any articles on a certain someone who missed a deciding penalty in the semis 15 years ago....(early morning math. That's 25 years ago)

No, wait...

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
What you call babying, is what I call support and empathy. As far as I know most of us require it on a daily basis whether we realize it or not and it's even more important for young people who have to deal with the scrutiny/abuse of miilions of people while still being immature.

Tarrou

I honestly think it must be incredibly hard to deal with

especially with the internet these days and the inevitable racist abuse from your own "fans"

more-so if you're still a teenager

Bwuk

The English fans and media are an absolute disgrace and they will hound them over this.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Also what is your favourite Gareth Southgate QANON style conspiracy about stitching up the penalty missers you've seen?
I'm going to respectfully decline to comment on this steaming pile of horsedung of a post.

Toad

The poor lad who missed our decisive pen actually looks like a 12 year old. I'm not surprised people are babying him because he shouldn't have been put in that situation.
This sums it up. The whole country watching you in this massive build up to the game and he takes THAT penalty. I think I’d be fecking crying to be honest, his confidence is going to be shattered and any shit comments he gets on social media will only add to that. Maybe he was crying because Chiellini tried to choke him out earlier in the game.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some of you can't even stand in front of a crowd of 20. We saw another athlete have a panic attack last week. It is not easy. Let the people who want to sympathise with these players do.

JPRouve

Scout
Some of you can't even stand in front of a crowd of 20. We saw another athlete have a panic attack last week. It is not easy. Let the people who want to sympathise with these players do.
You mean some of us, don't think we didn't notice your anxious self. ;)

hobbers

Funnily enough I agree we dont need to be babying millionaire professional athletes. But that doesn't make Southgate any less of an incompetent twat.

TheReligion

Abusive

Also what is your favourite Gareth Southgate QANON style conspiracy about stitching up the penalty missers you've seen?
Are our club babying him then?

AFC NimbleThumb

Great from the club.

Hopefully it does define him as a player in the way it did Beckham [till he was sucked in by the England captaincy], I’m looking forward to watching a fully rested post-surgery Marcus.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Impressively shite and totally way off the mark thread from someone who is seemingly one of those in charge of judging newbies post quality.
Says it all really doesn't it

TheReligion

Abusive
Great from the club.

Hopefully it does define him as a player in the way it did Beckham [till he was sucked in by the England captaincy], I’m looking forward to watching a fully rested post-surgery Marcus.
It's good that he's got Sancho to get through this at club now and the likes of Maguire and Shaw who have been part of the England unit.

They'll both be fine. Saka though might struggle.

AFC NimbleThumb

It's good that he's got Sancho to get through this at club now and the likes of Maguire and Shaw who have been part of the England unit.

They'll both be fine. Saka though might struggle.
True, this will hopefully bond Sancho & Rashford immensely. Shaw & Maguire won’t take no sh*t after this either.

Saka as you say could struggle so I’d suggest selling Martial & taking him off Arsenal’s hands as he deserves better.

Ace of Spades

I agree with the gist of it, treat is as part of the game and move on.

There is no need to baby them, but also no need to abuse them either. Losing is part and parcel of the game, and once you go to penalties it is a toss up to who will win. Think as long as they stay away from social media for a bit they will be fine.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The abuse of the players is obviously bad, don't think anyone here disagrees.

But the whole notion of "you can't send a 19 year old to shoot a penalty" is a bit silly.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Sure.

I have no problem with anyone expressing sympathy for what must have been a tough outcome for the lads. I do have a problem with people who warp that sense of sympathy into patronising, coddling expressions, out of some sort of feeling that they need to protect professional athletes, and then pointing the finger of blame at other people (Southgate) and trashing their reputation calling them "pathetic", "shit", "idiots" and accusing them of orchestrating a set up.

Also the argument that these players should be protected from racist abuse by preventing them from carrying out a vital part of their job (taking penalties in a knockout tournament) is a completely skewed way to look at things. All players should be taking positions of full responsibility in line with their ability. The onus should not be on a victim of racist abuse to modify their behaviour in order to prevent racist abuse.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout

What a terrible photo to use, and the tone is a tad mawkish for my liking. However, showing support for the player and reminding him of his position in the team is what should be done.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
I still cringe at a penalty I missed when I was 6 years old. People abusing someone who managed to shoot a decent PK and didn't Zaza it, have never played football.

Glorio

Impressively shite and totally way off the mark thread from someone who is seemingly one of those in charge of judging newbies post quality.
Imagine trivialising the barrage of racist abuse and threats directed at them on social media as he's just done :houllier:

I kinda take the point about folks who are trying to make it like Southgate had a agenda but everything else about that post completely lacks empathy of any kind.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal

But the whole notion of "you can't send a 19 year old to shoot a penalty" is a bit silly.
You can send a 19 years old, Trezeguet / Henry scored theirs in 98 against Italy. But sending a 19 years old as the last pen taker is odd and I can't remember a single occurence of it happening in recent years.

botond

you cant send a 19 year old to take a peno but you can pay him a million a month to kick a ball around

Dan_F

The English fans and media are an absolute disgrace and they will hound them over this.
Are they? Apart from some of the ultra cnuts in the shittest newspapers, who probably write far worse about the most vulnerable in society, are any of the papers hounding the players?

You’ve just made that up haven’t you?

vodrake

Its the context not just the penalty. Its a 19 year old shooting the 5th and decisive penalty in your counties first international final in over 50 years, in front of a huge home crowd of expectant fans and a media who may crucify you if you miss. Its an insanely difficult situation to put anyone in let alone an inexperienced guy who was clearly already struggling with the enormity of the situation.

Not sure I agree with the nobody disagrees with abusing players bit either. I think there are clearly some who think that abusing football players is acceptable and "just part of the game", because they earn a lot of money and should therefore just shut up and take it. If they didn't want to be abused they shouldn't have a social media account etcetera etcetera

Beagle

Racial abuse is the problem I think. They should be made fun of and ridiculed for missing 3 penalties in a row but it should stop there. No one should have to take racial or any kind of personal abuse.