The Players Tribune: Kalidou Koulibaly

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/kalidou-koulibaly-napoli-we-are-all-brothers

Another excellent read. Three good snippets below but recommend reading the whole thing.

But first, we have to talk about hate.

The first time that I really experienced any racism in football was against Lazio a few seasons ago. Every time I got the ball, I heard the fans making noises. But I wasn’t sure if I was just imagining it. When the ball went out of play, I asked my teammates, “Are they only doing this to me?”

The match went on, and I realized some Lazio fans were making monkey noises whenever I touched the ball. It is impossible to know what you are supposed to do in this moment. There were times when I wanted to walk off the pitch to make a point, but then I told myself that this is exactly what they want. I remember thinking to myself, “Why do they do this? Because I am black? Is it not normal to be a black guy in this world?”

You are just playing the game you love, like you have done a thousand times before. You feel hurt. You feel insulted. Honestly, it gets to a point where you feel practically ashamed of yourself.

After a while, the referee, Mr. Irrati, stopped the match. He came running over to me, and he said, “Kalidou, I’m with you, don’t worry. Let’s stop these chants. If you don’t want to finish the game, let me know.”

I thought this was very brave of him. But I told him that I wanted to finish the match. They made an announcement to the fans, and after three minutes, we started playing again. But the chants did not stop.

At the final whistle, I was walking to the tunnel, and I was very, very angry. But then I remembered something important. Before the match, there was a little mascot boy who walked with me to the pitch, holding my hand. He asked if he could have my jersey. I promised that I would give it to him after the match. So I turned around and went looking for him. I found him in the stands and gave him my shirt. And guess what’s the first thing he said to me?

“I am very sorry for what happened.”

This really affected me a lot. This little guy was apologizing for I don’t know how many grown men. And this was the first thing he thinks about — how I was feeling.

I told him, “It doesn’t matter. Thank you. Ciao.”
When I arrived for my medical, I was very nervous, because I didn’t speak any Italian yet. I was greeted by the chairman, Mr. De Laurentiis, in the hallway.

And I think this says everything about Napoli and the club.

He’s looking at me kind of funny, and he says, “Oh, you’re Koulibaly?”

I say, “Yes, I am Koulibaly.”

He says, “But you’re not tall? Aren’t you 1.92 meters?”

I say, “No, Mr. President, I am 1.86 meters.”

He says, “Damn! It is written everywhere that you are 1.92! I am going to have to speak to Genk and get some money back!”

I say, “It’s alright, Mr. President, you pay the full amount. I will give every centimeter back to you on the field, don’t worry.”

He liked that a lot. He was laughing and he said, “O.K., O.K., you are welcome here in Napoli, Koulibaly. You are welcome.”
After my medical, Rafa took me out to lunch, and the first thing he did after we sat down, before we even got the menus, he took all the wine glasses from the other tables. He was laying them out on the table and sliding them around. I am thinking, What is he doing? Is he mad?

He said, “O.K., now I show you the tactics.”

The waiter comes over, and the Mister is pushing the glasses everywhere, saying, “This is how we play. You go here, then you go there. Do you understand? Now, you must do two things very quickly: You must understand these tactics, and you must learn Italian.”

I said, “O.K., boss, O.K.”

When I returned from a little vacation, Rafa shut me in a room with the head of video analysis, and he was showing me all of my best plays. Sensational passes, dribbling, sliding tackles.

He says, “This, this and this?”

I say, “Yes? It’s good, no?”

He says, “Don’t do this shit anymore.”

I say, “But I won the ball back!”

It’s hard to translate the next part, but he says, “This is ass! You won it back because of your strength. If your opponent was smarter, you would be in trouble.”

Then he shows me this other video. Very boring. Normal plays.

He’s smiling and he says, “Yes! This is good. This is very good.”

I say, “But, sir, these are simple plays.”

He says, “Yes, Kouli, exactly.”

This says everything about my experience here. When I arrived in Italy, I was a boy. I became a better footballer, because I learned top-level tactics. They are so meticulous with the tactics here. But the most important thing is that I also became a family man and a real Neapolitan.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
The Sarri story is ace:lol:

mu4c_20le

Great read, now I understand why he would never push for a move.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Pay that release clause! Sounds like a great person, and a decent footballer too.

Zlatattack

Sounds like a top bloke. An extremely talented player too. Wish we'd bring him in.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I look forward to the inevitable Ronaldo/Sarri fireworks next season, one sure as hell won't still be at a Juve in 12months time

U-N-I-T-E-D

This makes me want him at the club even more. Sounds like a decent personality, loyal and humble.

Exactly what we need at the heart of our defence

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This has to be the best one I’ve read. Fantastic read. Sign him up and give him the captaincy.

3KDré

Doesn't sound like he'd want to leave Napoli.

Seems like a real genuine bloke, I can see him staying at Napoli for the rest of his career.

If he had chosen France they would have a ridiculous amount of talent to pick from for their centre backs.

Wayne's World

After reading that, I can't see him leaving anytime soon to any club.

He sounds like he wants to finish his career there and best of luck to him, he's a fantastic centre-back and by the sounds of it, a fantastic person too.

lapassion

Makes me want him here even more but seems like the chance of him leaving Napoli is slim. Beautiful read.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I like him he has a great positive attitude. You would think the racism in Italy would make him consider a transfer but he seems to love the city.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Makes me want to sign him even more. He has always been my first choice, he's the perfect option for us.

If we're having to pay 75m for De Ligt or 80+ for Maguire, why not stretch a little further? he'd improve us immeasurably.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Sarri :lol: If he does that to a mental character instead of a lovely person like Koulibaly, it would've been fireworks.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
So refreshing to read an interview with an actual grown up from the world of football. Welcome change from all the dancers, dabbers and posers.

Patrick08

Makes me want to sign him even more. He has always been my first choice, he's the perfect option for us.

If we're having to pay 75m for De Light or 80+ for Maguire, why not stretch a little further? he'd improve us immeasurably.
The board's attitude towards his age and price and their pathetic management of the transfer market.

Last year we were desperate for a CB and never went for him, while he signd a new deal in September.

Decomposing In Paris

We need that video analyst to sit down with Bailly....

Good interview, seems like a lovely guy with great self-belief and amazing quality... break the bank.

Bobski

Any centre-forward would be proud of that. Just unlucky :smirk:
Did you see how easily Higuain turned him in the same game? A piece of defending that makes me question his reputation. Haven't seen enough of him to make a true appraisal but wasn't that impressed by him against Liverpool and Arsenal last year. A bit cumbersome, great athlete when he gets going but he is so wide and bulky, that can be problematic for agility.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Did you see how easily Higuain turned him in the same game? A piece of defending that makes me question his reputation. Haven't seen enough of him to make a true appraisal but wasn't that impressed by him against Liverpool and Arsenal last year. A bit cumbersome, great athlete when he gets going but he is so wide and bulky, that can be problematic for agility.
Ah, that explains it. You’ve never seen him.

Bobski

Ah, that explains it. You’ve never seen him.
Not enough to make a true judgment of him, as I stated in the original post. Just seems to have a different shape to most CB's I am familiar with, though that might just be his posture.

In the few games I have seen from him he has struggled, that might just be unfortunate timing on my part, everyone has a player like that, hear a lot of how good they are but under-perform when you watch them. Higuain did him easily for that goal you must admit.

Bobski

Not enough to make a true judgment of him, as I stated in the original post. Just seems to have a different shape to most CB's I am familiar with, though that might just be his posture.

In the few games I have seen from him he has struggled, that might just be unfortunate timing on my part, everyone has a player like that, hear a lot of how good they are but under-perform when you watch them. Higuain did him easily for that goal you must admit.
To further confirm this phenomenon I was out playing cage football during the Napoli-Liverpool game, and talking to those who watched, he was apparently sensational. In my next viewing he will probably do a Woodgate, score an OG, give away a pen, then get sent off.

Posh Red

To further confirm this phenomenon I was out playing cage football during the Napoli-Liverpool game, and talking to those who watched, he was apparently sensational. In my next viewing he will probably do a Woodgate, score an OG, give away a pen, then get sent off.
He was brilliant. It’s the first time I’ve had a good look at him and what really impressed me was his use of the ball. Didn’t realise how good he was in that regard.