The purpose of keeping Darmian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The club is seldom praised.

It’s a fact that the club has previously received criticism for selling players for less than their market value. This goes all the way back to Beckham (even though I agree on this one).
Because the club seldom sells players for profit.

Kostov

All of the people that lose their minds every time Chelsea sell a shit youth player and get what is considered to be a good fee.

The club has received stick for this for years, in spite of making its money back on the likes of Schneiderlin and Blind, something it never did under David Gill.
People lose their mind when Oscar is sold to China for 60 fecking millions simply because it's shady and suspicious, and yeah Chelsea had couple of deals like that. Also the Luiz transfers with PSG.

Getting most of our money back for Schneiderling and Blind was great I agree, but it also happened as soon as they were not needed. Keeping useless players like Darmian and Rojo is hardly going to help us in any way. They were massive failing and still stealing a wage from the club.

Kag

Because the club seldom sells players for profit.
And when it attempts to make its money back from scrimping Italian clubs it’s accused of (and I type this with a straight face, of course) holding players ‘hostage’.

Brilliant.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
And when it attempts to make its money back from scrimping Italian clubs it’s accused of (and I type this with a straight face, of course) holding players ‘hostage’.

Brilliant.
I'm sure once/if he is sold for profit, it'll change. Now, we're just in a grey area.

suheilsworld

As far as I remember, he was a starter for Italy when we signed him. It's all gone downhill for him since then. Sciglio has taken over ghat spot anf he is nowhere to be seen in the national team as well

Siorac

I think it's meant to be an inspirational message for aspiring young footballers across the globe:

If Matteo Darmian can spend several seasons at Manchester United, you can achieve anything you want, too!

stevoc

Not sure there is a specific thread on this but I find this one of the strangest situations.

We currently have three right backs and heavily linked with buying another. Young is clearly first choice, Dalot is then rotating with him. And then there’s Darmian.

He’s barely played any minutes for us. Last season he played 8 games, the season before that it was 17 games. I actually think he isn’t that bad of a player. Like many players in our team they never get a run of games and then are expected to be up to match fitness. He hadn’t played for months and was then picked to play against Manchester City of all teams. What did Solskjaer expect to happen? That appeared to be his final game for us, or is it?

He’s asked to leave last summer. I would expect he’s not a high earner, 29 years old. His value can be no more than £10m now, surely an Italian club would take a punt.

In the past we have been happy to sell at massive losses but for some reason we just won’t let Darmian go. Why? Can anyone think of a reason why we won’t sell him?
Maybe two years ago, now we would be lucky to get £5m for him. He's nearly 30 years old, rubbish for 4 years, barely played the last 2 of those and only a year on his contract. Honestly i'd be surprised if any club made any sort of a bid on him at this stage. Better to just wait and pick him up for nothing next year, 2017 was the year to sell him. Younger, more time on his contract, towards the end of that season he even looked like he'd played football before. Back then we probably would have got £10m for him. But the club vastly overpriced him out of a move.

-Supreme-

Correct decision.

If the Italian teams are not willing to pay 10-15 million for an Italian international defender then I'd say they can go feck themselves

If we give him away for free then what message does it send out? We might as well offload Lukaku for £20m as that's their going rate when they want to buy players from us

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
It's quite simple. No club wants to pay close to what Utd is paying these players

Josep Dowling

We can make threads for most of the players, Purpose of keeping Jones
Purpose of keeping Young
Purpose of keeping rojo
Purpose of keeping Mata
Purpose of keeping lee grant
Purpose of keeping smalling
Purpose of keeping Lingard

And we would not have answer for any of them
But there is a purpose for keeping some those players. The English quota for starters. Lee Grant is solely for the under 23s.

Rojo I don’t get why he’s still here but we tried to get rid and his contract is too high.

Darmian has very little resale value now. I don’t understand why we don’t sell him for £5m or less just to get rid. Surely one of the promoted teams would take him. I think he was still pushing for an international spot only recently.

Revaulx

Why did we buy Fred, Why haven't we sold Darmian are two of life's mysteries. Perhaps Ole says it best "we're Manchester United".

Darmian has spent his last good years here doing nothing. Should've gone after LVG or after Jose's first season, it was clear we bought a cart horse and would barely play. Perhaps he's not that bothered coupled with wages no-one on earth would pay. It would've taken LVG managing a fairly rich club after us to buy him but he retired sadly.
If LvG had rated him he wouldn’t have kept dropping him for Valencia. Though he did look good in his first few games.

Revaulx

Cave dwellers criticise the board when they sell for pittance.

Cave dwellers criticise the board when they are determined to receive acceptable fees for players.

Holding him hostage? Away and do one.
True. And anyway it’s only recently that they’ve started to bring in acceptable fees.

Nevertheless, Darmian has been here for four years and it was apparent before the end of his first that he really wasn’t good enough. That’s a damning indictment of United’s poor squad management in recent times.

Allas8

Darmian and Dalot will be our RB next season, while Shaw and Demetri Mitchell will be our LB, mark my words.

settembrini

We reject offers for our deadwood like Darmian so Woodward can feel like he's a tough negotiator.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'd keep darmian ahead of Jones, Smalling and Young. I also think Rojo is better than that lot

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hes going on his 5th season at the club. Rojo about to enter his 6th. Both absolutely pointless and them still being here is representative of the joke we've become tbh. Rojo has 853 combined premier league minutes over the last 2 seasons, Darmian has 888 combined minutes. That's fewer then 10 full games total for each player over a 76 game period. Or in percentages, theyve each played between 12-13% of our total minutes over the last 2 seasons. How the feck they're still at the club is just mind numbing. I'll bet they stay after the summer as well.

Can go further though. We have a list of players who if they left, we wouldn't even need to replace to replicate their output. Our youth players could do it (and probably better):
  1. Grant -> Pereira/Henderson
  2. Darmian -> Laird
  3. Rojo -> Tuanzebe
  4. Sanchez -> Greenwood/Chong/Gomes
  5. Mata -> Greenwood/Chong/Gomes
The others like Young, Jones and Bailly all still have a role even considering youth, but drop out to pretty pointless once we sign someone. Like if we had a list of 10 out, I would replace 5 with youth, and 5 with new signings and that would be a really good rebuild this summer.

Last edited:

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Purpose of keeping Young
Purpose of keeping rojo
Purpose of keeping Mata

Laird, Tuanzebe, Garner, J. Pereira, Fosu-Mensah and Chong could literally do just as good a job in the squad, if not better, with the potential to grow, for about a tenth of the salary cost.

Problem is, no one wants to buy them and Woodward is too busy protecting player's values by extending their contracts, than thinking what might be best for the team long-term.

AshRK

But there is a purpose for keeping some those players. The English quota for starters. Lee Grant is solely for the under 23s.

Rojo I don’t get why he’s still here but we tried to get rid and his contract is too high.

Darmian has very little resale value now. I don’t understand why we don’t sell him for £5m or less just to get rid. Surely one of the promoted teams would take him. I think he was still pushing for an international spot only recently.
I understand some but we have too many of those "some players". We could have easily got rid of Jones and Young and we would have been fine. By just keeping them we just have bodies but no quality. ANd the sad part is people say we need to have squad players, I agree but the problem is when these squad players are no longer squad players but become regular feature. That has been the trend for last 5 years. Young every season starts as a squad player only to become a regular. Same with Jones and Smalling.

Gandalf

To be fair it is not the case that we are set on keeping him so far as I can tell, unlike some of our deadwood there is actual transfer interest around Darmian with apparently a couple of clubs in Italy and Spain in negotiations. I will be genuinely surprised if he is not gone by August but you won't see a ton of detail in the press because he is not exactly exciting news.

Irwin99

I thought his contract was up this summer? What a waste of a career.

Lebowski

He’s a fantastic fella, so we don’t want to say goodbyes, he’ll get a good job here when he retires, the U13’s coach for a start, who knows, maybe he’ll end up managing us one day.
You made me genuinely laugh out loud with this, well played sir!

Perfect parody of the hopelessly optimistic reactions to the extension of Mata and other deadwood.

Serious response to the thread... it's probably the same reason why we have failed to move on any number of players who aren't up to it... poor ownership and club management. Woodward would seemingly far rather extend the contracts of players who are clearly not up to snuff than make a considerable loss on selling them.

Maybe it's all an elaborate balance sheet exercise to trick our shareholders into thinking we have a squad with a book value of £1b...

Krisbijoy

We fail to shift/phase out our players when they start to show signs of decline or are getting frozen out for various reasons. This means we end up with way too many over the hill players which everyone knows is not good enough . For an e.g. if Hummels was a Utd player I'm sure he'd have got a new contract this season citing 'he still can do a good job for us '.

Josep Dowling

I understand some but we have too many of those "some players". We could have easily got rid of Jones and Young and we would have been fine. By just keeping them we just have bodies but no quality. ANd the sad part is people say we need to have squad players, I agree but the problem is when these squad players are no longer squad players but become regular feature. That has been the trend for last 5 years. Young every season starts as a squad player only to become a regular. Same with Jones and Smalling.
I agree with you. My point is from the club’s perspective I can see why they kept Smalling, Jones, Young and Lingard for the home grown quota, even though us fans don’t understand why we are keeping these players.

Darmian is different. He’s not worth anything, doesn’t play, one year left, aging, wants to leave. Why the hell are we keeping him then? Just promote a youngster.

sp_107

Purpose of keeping Young
Purpose of keeping rojo
Purpose of keeping Mata

Jones and Baily?

stevoc

So he has got another year on his contract?
Yep the club activated their optional year on his deal last January in the hope of selling him this summer for a fee. Seems like bad business seeing as he's basically been for sale for 2 years now with no takers, but you have to admire that sort of optimism.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
People saying Bailly when fit is our best defender? Did you not see how he performed against PSG last season?

RedDevil@84

Yep the club activated their optional year on his deal last January in the hope of selling him this summer for a fee. Seems like bad business seeing as he's basically been for sale for 2 years now with no takers, but you have to admire that sort of optimism.
I thought he had no takers because Woodward wanted 15M or whatever that amount was. Surely we could sell him for 5M. Let the lad have a career, even if it is the Chinese league.
Unless of course, he does a Bale and would rather take the money.

Craig Ward

Darmian is one of many who has come in, performed averagely, not improved and doesn't feature in the current managers plans.

Why he cant be sold is beyond me. He has been linked at several Italian teams.

Whats also more worrying is the fact that Ashley young gets a game ahead of him. He was Italys 1st choice RB when he signed, and looked a half decent player. He's a shambles now. What we do to make these players look so bad is beyond me.

I'd have preferred to stick with him at RB at one point, as I really think Young is that incompetent. But his time has been up here for a very long time.

He has no use. Sell him. Its really simple yet the powers that be make a mockery of the majority of things they are tasked with

Ultimate_L

Maybe two years ago, now we would be lucky to get £5m for him. He's nearly 30 years old, rubbish for 4 years, barely played the last 2 of those and only a year on his contract. Honestly i'd be surprised if any club made any sort of a bid on him at this stage. Better to just wait and pick him up for nothing next year, 2017 was the year to sell him. Younger, more time on his contract, towards the end of that season he even looked like he'd played football before. Back then we probably would have got £10m for him. But the club vastly overpriced him out of a move.
Completely agree with this, too many negatives towards trying for a £10m valuation. Sell him back to Torino for cut price and cut the losses.

Fosu-Mens

The resale value is less than what it would cost to buy a new fullback.
The same is the argument for why we are extending contracts with players that should be let go or sold.

Darmian, Jones, Young, Mata, Rojo (we tried to sell him last year)...

Josep Dowling

The resale value is less than what it would cost to buy a new fullback.
The same is the argument for why we are extending contracts with players that should be let go or sold.

Darmian, Jones, Young, Mata, Rojo (we tried to sell him last year)...
But that only makes sense if we actually used him or required him. We have Young and Dalot already. AWB is heavily linked with us. Why do we need 4 RBs on the books? Just get rid, there are far worse players being bought and sold for decent money. I've never seen Solanke have a good game yet Liverpool got £20m and he was earning well over £50k a week at Liverpool. Making the excuse we can't sell him because no one is interested doesn't wash with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.