The Race for 4th

Who will finish 4th this year ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Riz

This season is going to be like a poor mans version of last season for Liverpool. They're hitting form again and it'll look like they will nick fourth but for a monumental feck up and there will be tears again as they settle for their rightful place in the Europa League.
:lol:

montpelier

I'm struggling with this narrative that we cruised it, wins at Arsenal, Southampton & Anfield were well timed to say the least. First 2 rather fortunate.

Not to say we haven't suffered from a bit of bad luck along the way - Leicester anyone?

Funny olde season, I think we are where's fair overall but form has been rather patchy.

ChaddyP

Have we given up on third place? Is it just widely accepted that there is no way we are catching Arsenal or City ? Or are there a few optimist still around

Raw

Have we given up on third place? Is it just widely accepted that there is no way we are catching Arsenal or City ? Or are there a few optimist still around
We'll need City to lose to both Swansea away and Southampton at home, or Arsenal to drop 9 points out of 12.

You never know!

ChaddyP

We'll need City to lose to both Swansea away and Southampton at home, or Arsenal to drop 9 points out of 12.

You never know!

I know what it will take. Just wondered if anyone still thinks this scenario is likely :wenger:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
United A
Sunderland H
WBA H

Arsenal need 4 points from this as they have a +7 GD.

Its a long shot but you never know what might happen if we beat them.

FujiVice

Sunderland and WBA wont be push overs. We could get 3rd if we beat them next week.

ChaddyP

lets smash em at home
United A
Sunderland H
WBA H

Arsenal need 4 points from this as they have a +7 GD.

Its a long shot but you never know what might happen if we beat them.

If we beat them bad like 3-0 the GD goes to +3

#BELIEVE

Raw

Unless we smash Arsenal, there's very little chance of us overtaking them on goal difference. We'd have to rely on Sunderland/WBA winning, or Arsenal drawing both.

Feck it, it's on!!

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I've dreamed bigger than 4th a few times this season. Each time the bubble has promptly been burst. I'm sure this time will be the same, but 4th is all that matters at the end of the day.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
lets smash em at home

If we beat them bad like 3-0 the GD goes to +3

#BELIEVE
If we beat Arsenal 3-0, the GD would be + 1 in their favour. Plus, because we require them to lose/draw another and us win our game against Hull to achieve third place, the GD at the very least will be the same.

Having said that, I don't think we'll do it.

ChaddyP

If we beat Arsenal 3-0, the GD would be + 1 in their favour. Plus, because we require them to lose/draw another and us win our game against Hull to achieve third place, the GD at the very least will be the same.

lets smash em 5 love then :cool:

Gerald G

We would need to batter Arsenal then batter Hull for us to have a chance of finishing above them.

They'll most likely win both games vs Sunderland and West Brom, but even if they draw one we'll have to hope they only beat Sunderland/West Brom by a single goal.

Danny Boi

If we beat Arsenal anything can happen.It will then go to the last game of the season.With the F.A cup final to think about surely they won't have the likes of Sanchez playing 3 times in a week.They'll have lost 2 games on the trot at that stage and will be facing a battling Sunderland side.Let's make it uncomfortable for them at least.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Can someone explain to me what happens if...
United v Arsenal 3-0
Hull v MU 0-4
Arsenal v Sunderland 1-1
Arsenal v WBA 3-0

spacer
P W D L GF GA Diff Pts
AFC W38 22 8 8 70 38 32 74
MUFC 38 22 8 8 68 36 32 74

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Can someone explain to me what happens if...
United v Arsenal 3-0
Hull v MU 0-4
Arsenal v Sunderland 1-1
Arsenal v WBA 3-0

spacer
P W D L GF GA Diff Pts
AFC W38 22 8 8 70 38 32 74
MUFC 38 22 8 8 68 36 32 74
Arsenal finish ahead because of more goals scored.

saivet

So if we beat Arsenal, we will need to them to either draw two of or lose to one of Sunderland, Villa or West Brom. All at the Emirates too.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
United 3 Arsenal 0
Hull 0 United 3
Arsenal 1 Sunderland 0
Arsenal 0 WBA 0

United 74 pts GF 67 GA 36
Arsenal 74 pts GF 67 GA 37
Pinch 3rd place by 1 goal:wenger:
So if we beat Arsenal, we will need to them to either draw two of or lose to one of Sunderland, Villa or West Brom. All at the Emirates too.
No, see above

Tincanalley

Villa is in the Cup. Different competition. Different stadium.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Am not holding my breath, sadly I think 3rd is gone after our crap results:mad:

In any case, the lads still need to be up for the game on Sunday - the least they owe the fans is a win at the final home game of the season.

Tincanalley

Realistically it will be a very tough match on Sunday, so better not get too carried away; for any of these dream scenarios, we have to win it. A slip up by Arsenal in either (or both) of the last two matches (two draws?) is very possible.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
If we beat arsenal we will need to go full attack vs brucey maybe.
It is still unlikely. First of all, I don't see them not winning the 2 home games. Sunderland may offer resistance as they might still need points by then but don't expect West Brom to defend maniacally on last day when they are safe.
Let's say they pick 4 points from those 2 games, a 2 goal win for us vs Arse will bring GD to +3 in their favour. So we will effectively have to top Arsenal's win margin vs Sunderland/West Brom by 4(if we tie on GD they will be ahead having scored more goals). So if they draw Sunderland and beat West Brom 1-0, we will need to beat Hull by 5!

Our only hope is a big win by say 3 goals min. at our place vs them as difference will count double. Don't see that happening either(such huge win).

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It is still unlikely. First of all, I don't see them not winning the 2 home games. Sunderland may offer resistance as they might still need points by then but don't expect West Brom to defend maniacally on last day when they are safe.
Let's say they pick 4 points from those 2 games, a 2 goal win for us vs Arse will bring GD to +3 in their favour. So we will effectively have to top Arsenal's win margin vs Sunderland/West Brom by 4(if we tie on GD they will be ahead having scored more goals). So if they draw Sunderland and beat West Brom 1-0, we will need to beat Hull by 5!

Our only hope is a big win by say 3 goals min. at our place vs them as difference will count double. Don't see that happening either(such huge win).
We will stuff them 7-0.

Anduin

Tough ask, but I hope we will have two options to go 3rd on the last day of the season: For that we obviously need to beat Arsenal, but it would also be great if Swansea beat City, who then have to get a point against Southampton in their final game. Ideally Spurs self-implode again against Hull at home, so Sunderland have it all to play for when they visit the Emirates in the midweek fixture. For that we also need Leicester to at least get a point at the Stadium of Light, which is very possible considering their recent run in the last couple of months.

Anyway, lots of its and buts. To make it short, this must/should happen:

Leicester beat Sunderland
Hull beat/draw at Tottenham
Swansea beat City
United beat Arsenal
Arsenal get a point at max vs Sunderland at home

Would make a great final day. It's possible, but extremely unlikely to happen.