The re-signing of Ander Herrera

Status
Not open for further replies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
His effort made him very easy to like. Unfortunately his positioning was horrible. He was constantly chasing the ball rather than marking his man. No thanks...

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Not for me, Clive. He's a nice guy and all but he doesn't excel in much of anything and we aren't exactly in desperate need for more rotation players...

McTom
McFred
McPog
McMatic
McDe Beek
McPereira(?)

Where exactly would he fit in?

Raven

I like the guy but Fred is essentially just a better version of him.

MadMike

Teja

He could play Matic's role and be the 5th midfielder if he signs on a free and PSG subsidize his wages.

One of our best post-Ferguson players and some of these comments are ridiculous. I dread to think how much more depressing the Van Gaal era would have been without Herrera. His legs have gone now though so bringing him back would not be a good idea.
“One of our best”, fecking hell.

yup.

And no way would Fred allow Mark fecking Noble to carry him off the pitch.
Herrera summed up everything that was so shit about us as a team back then, average, a wimp but a bit of a trier who said the right thing.

Nick7

Resign and re-sign are completely different words with completely different meanings.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I like him but a squad player in midfield is not what we need. I find it highly unlikely we would be interested.

Last edited:

NotQuiteManc

I rather have United try getting De Jong from Barca. I think he would, more or less, make the first 11 more balanced, complete team.

MadMike

I rather have United try getting De Jong from Barca. I think he would, more or less, make the first 11 more balanced, complete team.
Barca are not selling him or Pedri. They are the only two players who are talented, young and critical to team.

Ekeke

If Mata can get a squad place he can. Played very well in the champions league final the season before last which makes the performance side a no brainer.

But at 31 he obviously isnt the future and even if we signed him it should be on the basis that Van De beek and any new midfielder/Garner gets the majority of game time and he comes in for the occasional start as rotation. Give them the chance to show that they are the future

Blood Mage

Fred is not as good as peak Herrera was. I feel like I remember his time here differently to a lot of posters, he was a fantastic big game player who always showed up against our top 4 rivals when others around him wilted.

Raven

Fred is not as good as peak Herrera was. I feel like I remember his time here differently to a lot of posters, he was a fantastic big game player who always showed up against our top 4 rivals when others around him wilted.
Like I said, I like Herrera and rated him highly when he was here but I think Fred is a much better player.

Van Gaal had a cracking top 4 record so yeah it’s odd you remember everyone else but Herrera wilting.

Macern

Pee pee pants
1. He's a box to box. We don't need that, we need someone who can sit behind the other midfielders in an out-and-out defensive role.
2. Even as a b2b, I'd rather play McT or Fred

And for that reason I'm out.

tomaldinho1

Very different players. Fred, for all his faults, is vital to how Ole wants to play.

If he was on a free I think he'd work well next to Fred but really not fussed about him coming back.

Ekeke

Also, he started PSG's first league game of the season, got 90 mins played well and got an assist

Blood Mage

Van Gaal had a cracking top 4 record so yeah it’s odd you remember everyone else but Herrera wilting.
I didn't say everyone else wilted just that Herrera was the one who always turned up consistently. To be fair we had a very good defence under Van Gaal also. Smalling was incredible back then.

Gandalf

I also like Fred but I disagree, Herrera was better for me.
Even if that statement is correct which I would disagree with, the operative word is was. Herrera is about to turn 32 and has clearly lost a step since leaving, we have half a dozen better options in the current squad before we even get into the under 23s. It would be a total waste of time and money to bring him back because of how good he used to be.

When has Fred ever been one of the best players in a champions league final?
Oh ffs.

The Eder argument in full flow.

He had a decent 30 minutes, a crap second half and got brought off after 72 minutes.

Vladimír Šmicer once had a good 30 mins in a final too, is he better than anyone who didn’t?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Loved Ander Herrera while he was here and he is a better player than McTominay or Fred. However, I don't think we should bring him back to United.

What we need is a proper replacement for Carrick. I think I've watched enough of Herrera to know he ain't that. He's not even really a defensive midfielder. He's a box-to-box midfielder who is good positionally and doesn't mind a tackle.

If we are going into the market for a midfielder, and are trying to take advantage of PSG being open to selling, Idrissa Gueye probably suits are needs better. Gueye's more limited than Herrera but he's more of a #6. Even if he is vastly more limited than someone like Carrick was on the ball.

Ekeke

Oh ffs.

The Eder argument in full flow.

He had a decent 30 minutes, a crap second half and got brought off after 72 minutes.
And was one of the best players on the pitch against the team that won the tournament, giving his own team a good chance to win it which they missed.

So again what has Fred done?

And was one of the best players on the pitch against the team that won the tournament, giving his own team a good chance to win it which they missed.

So again what has Fred done?
Vladimír Šmicer once had a good 30 mins in a final too, is he better than anyone who didn’t? Should we make a list of average players who’ve had a decent half in a final?

Lewnited

There's nothing that he could currently offer that Fred couldn't.

yamo123x

Its all just diabolical journalism.

PSG need to raise funds, put all fringe players up for sale, ohh Herrera is one of them, let's link him with a return to UTD.

No thank you

prateik

Loved the guy but no thanks.

Bs story anyway.. I dont think its even a consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.