The RedCafe Boxing Thread

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
:lol:

the bastards should get the fight on. 70-30 is bullshit from Khan.

Oggmonster

God they're both awful at trash talk!! First Brook rips off McGregor and then Khan uses the "net worth" thing Mywether did.

I'd say Khan used to be the bigger draw now I'm not to sure. The reality is I don't think either is particularly a big draw unless they fight each other.

G-manc

70-30 is ridiculous. I wouldn't complain too much at a slight favour in terms for Khan but realistically they are both coming off losses and could make a lot of money with a 50-50 split.

Khan is an absolute helmet and Brook has barely fought anyone.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Khan is right that if anyone should get the higher percentage then it should be him, however 70/30 is clearly weighted so highly in his favour that it's a political move to say that he offered Brook the fight and it was to be turned down.

They should just get it on and be done with because it needs to happen and it would be a career high payday for both men (likely across their future careers too).

Boxing always finds ways to disappoint though. The sooner a UFC type promotion reigns supreme, the better. PBC are taking too long to assemble it.

Zen

I'm truly not sure why they don't do equal lower percentages and winner takes the rest in these fights literally, it'd actually beef the fight too as both would genuinely want to win to get that purse. 35-25 then 30-10 winner-loser from the next 40.

Boxers just killing off their own sport, future of the game be damned.

Kazi

I'm truly not sure why they don't do equal lower percentages and winner takes the rest in these fights literally, it'd actually beef the fight too as both would genuinely want to win to get that purse. 35-25 then 30-10 winner-loser from the next 40.

Boxers just killing off their own sport, future of the game be damned.
Will never be a thing, judges can be shit for starters. But fighters and their team would never agree to these sort of deals.

Classical Mechanic

I'm not even sure it's that any more, Khan still marginally the bigger fighter but he needs this fight more than Khan does.
I think Khan brings comfortably more money to the table. He has the profile in America whereas Kell doesn't. I think Kell should take 60/40 because it will be his biggest pay day and he will beat Khan which will make him box office. I'm pretty sure that Hearn would make the fight at 60/40.

Zen

This fight has no profile in America....since no one cares about either unless they are fighting a name in America. Similar to Froch-Groves being kind of irrelevant there but massive here, especially the second time.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think Khan brings comfortably more money to the table. He has the profile in America whereas Kell doesn't. I think Kell should take 60/40 because it will be his biggest pay day and he will beat Khan which will make him box office. I'm pretty sure that Hearn would make the fight at 60/40.
I won't dispute he's the bigger fighter, just think Khan's reputation has been badly damaged in recent years, he's not current if you know what I mean. Khan needs a big fight to get his career back on track, despite Brook losing to GGG it's certainly no disgrace, he'll still have plenty of offers on the table. Can't wait for his fight against Spence of it goes ahead btw.

This fight has no profile in America....since no one cares about either unless they are fighting a name in America. Similar to Froch-Groves being kind of irrelevant there but massive here, especially the second time.
Good point.

G-manc

They've both spent way too much time of their careers doing nothing - particularly Brook who really needs to kick on.

Khan's always overestimated his worth. He may have fought in the States a couple of times but no one cares about him there which is part of the reason the Floyd fight never happened.

Oggmonster

I don't know if either is particularly a huge name over here either to be honest. Brook struggles to sell out his home town and Khan has lost the interest of a lot of boxing fans. If they fought it would do good numbers but I don't know if it would be a super fight. There was talk a few years ago of putting them at Wembley, I don't think they come close to selling it out to be honest.

Agree with @G-manc they spent to much time fecking about. Brook fought bums then fought GGG to raise his stock when the reality is he was never going to win and it was probably a way to give him a pass for fighting a few more bums in the future and Khan hasn't done anything remotely impressive in years.

SambaBoy

70-30% is a disgrace IMO but it's still the best move for Brook. He will earn plenty more money & rep from fighting Khan, who I think he beats as he's a more rounded and talented fighter, than facing Errol Spence.

Errol Spence is a top talent and someone who could beat Brook. It's a massive gamble for Brook, as Errol Spence doesn't quite have the reputation or big fights behind him yet due to being 'unknown' and is just seen as another mandatory but for anyone who follows boxing, knows what a talent this kid is and he will go to the top of the WW division IMO.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
At 70-30, Team Khan are clearly pricing themselves out of the fight.

I think they want Brook to face Spence cause they think he may lose, which he may. Then, Khan would fancy himself a bit more against Brook.

I'd say anywhere between 60-40 to 55-45 to Khan is a fair split in terms of what they are commercially worth.

Claymore

Used to really like Khan but gone right off him. 70-30 in his favour? LMAO its like 50-50 right now after Canelo/GGG. Khan hasn't held a title for ages and has had 3 big knockouts, Kell got beat with being banged out. Khan is almost guaranteed to go to sleep by Kell because he'll want to show the UK he can go toe to toe war with him again. Khan has been dodging this for years, damn, how long ago was it they were on the Sky ringside/gloves are off show together? Feels like an age, Nothing but excuses from Khan.

Eddie Hearne will make him big money, slime ball that he is, Khan should take and enjoy the 50%.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Billy Joe Saunders talking about his next opponent in an ifltv interview today, pretty sure it's going to be Golovkin. He mentions that it'll be a surprise because his opponent has a fight lined up, he says he's the best there is to fight and he confirms it'll be at middleweight. Really can't see who else it could be, just watch him announce Martin Murray now.

Oggmonster

Billy Joe Saunders talking about his next opponent in an ifltv interview today, pretty sure it's going to be Golovkin. He mentions that it'll be a surprise because his opponent has a fight lined up, he says he's the best there is to fight and he confirms it'll be at middleweight. Really can't see who else it could be, just watch him announce Martin Murray now.
Despite the fact he has constantly avoided any decent fighter it is possible he fights GGG (or any other top fighter) if he makes a shit load of money I think. He even said in a press conference him and Eubank would lose to GGG in the same night.

I'd guess if he fights him he does it for a shit load of money, knows he's going to lose anyway and either fecks off or fighters Eubank Jr in a rematch that makes him more money then.

Suppose it's fair enough but he's never really struck me as someone who wants to make a legacy of a champion more wants to make a load of money which is pretty annoying when he is a champion and fighting shit fighters.

Oggmonster

Frampton vs. Santa Cruz rematch this weekend and Selby is also defending against Barros all on Sky Sports to. Should be a pair of good fights. I reckon Frampton will win again and hopefully Selby wins to set up a fight between the 2 of them which should be a great fight especially for UK fans!

@Red_Aaron (and anyone else who wanted tickets) they're releasing 10,000 extra for Wlad vs. Joshua as it's been granted 90,000 tickets instead of the original 80k

Classical Mechanic

I don't know if either is particularly a huge name over here either to be honest
Khan is a big name over here especially in the mainstream. He is in the national newspapers everyday, granted it is because of the drama of his marriage but he does have a much bigger profile than Brook. I think he can justify a 60/40 split on the back of that rather than his recent boxing career.

Oggmonster

Khan is a big name over here especially in the mainstream. He is in the national newspapers everyday, granted it is because of the drama of his marriage but he does have a much bigger profile than Brook. I think he can justify a 60/40 split on the back of that rather than his recent boxing career.
True at the moment he's in the papers at the moment for his various misfortunes but in terms of interest for a fight I just don't see people being hugely bothered to see him really. My point was more in terms of boxing fans paying money. I'd pay to see Khan vs. Brook. I wouldn't pay to see a Khan fight vs. anyone else or a Brook fight vs. anyone else really. They both make the fight. Granted Khan is the bigger name historically in boxing and has fought better fighters to his credit but I dunno if either is particularly at this moment in time a huge draw.

If Brook had his dick out on webcam and was cheating on his missus I reckon that would make The Sun as well to be fair.

In terms of casual mainstream viewers for British boxers I can only think of Joshua and Haye who would attract people who wouldn't be massively into their boxing regardless of who they fight. Everyone else probably needs a top level opponent.

60/40 isn't massively unfair. 70/30 that was suggested is ludicrous though.

El General 1994

Apart from the obvious huge fights on the weekend, I'm really looking forward to seeing Mikey Garcia continue his progress. Great weekend for boxing, but I wish promoters would look at the upcoming schedule and not clash with other cards.

NextSeason

Despite the fact he has constantly avoided any decent fighter it is possible he fights GGG (or any other top fighter) if he makes a shit load of money I think. He even said in a press conference him and Eubank would lose to GGG in the same night.

I'd guess if he fights him he does it for a shit load of money, knows he's going to lose anyway and either fecks off or fighters Eubank Jr in a rematch that makes him more money then.

Suppose it's fair enough but he's never really struck me as someone who wants to make a legacy of a champion more wants to make a load of money which is pretty annoying when he is a champion and fighting shit fighters.
BJS at his best is a very skillful boxer though. Not saying he would beat GGG but his slippery style would be all wrong for him.

BJS at his best is a very skillful boxer though. Not saying he would beat GGG but his slippery style would be all wrong for him.
Be the same as all other GGG fights
He hits them once and they instantly know they are in a different game to him and want nothing to do with it

NextSeason

Be the same as all other GGG fights
He hits them once and they instantly know they are in a different game to him and want nothing to do with it
I think BJS could potentially give him the best fight he's had, but yeah, the power of GGG would tell eventually.

Don't forget Brook was winning on the cards before the stoppage and he's not even a middleweight.

Fergies Formula

I think BJS could potentially give him the best fight he's had, but yeah, the power of GGG would tell eventually.

Don't forget Brook was winning on the cards before the stoppage and he's not even a middleweight.
He was, but that was due to the fact that GGG disregarded brook as a middle weight and was just walking through him and wanted to make a show for the fans. When he fought lemieux, who is a big hitter, he out boxed him.

I wouldn't put too much weight on the style in which he fought the brook fight.

NextSeason

He was, but that was due to the fact that GGG disregarded brook as a middle weight and was just walking through him and wanted to make a show for the fans. When he fought lemieux, who is a big hitter, he out boxed him.

I wouldn't put too much weight on the style in which he fought the brook fight.
Would be a good fight so let's hope it gets made.

What time is the frampton fight starting?
4/5am I think. Will prob have to kip and get up for it myself.

Utdstar01

Much more difficult so far this time round. LSC making much better use of his longer range this time as he should, got him up by 2 at the minute but very narrow.