The RedCafe Boxing Thread

G-manc

The issue for me here is jumping straight in with a PPV fight which simply isn't worthy.

I absolutely applaud terrestrial TV investing in boxing and i wouldn't mind potentially paying for a PPV fight in a 'genuine' World Title fight down the line but you're hardly bringing it back to a mainstream audience with what's on offer this weekend.

I'm still in shock at how the Eubanks' have sold this concept to ITV. I heard they were aiming for 150k buys but i'd be surprised if that many people watch it on a dodgy stream.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
I've bought the PPV and don't feel I'm being conned. The IBO belt has more integrity than any of the top four sanctioning bodies, even if it's not as prestigious. Eubank Jr always entertains and there's some decent fights on the undercard too, happy to support it.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
I'm torn on tonight. I originally thought it was a joke until I read this below comment on a YouTube vid:

Regarding the PPV - I'll be buying this card. After all, I have to pay to watch all boxing on Sky, I have to pay to watch all boxing on Boxnation and I'll be paying to watch a good night's boxing on ITV Box Office this weekend (and have absolutely no qualms about it). Anyone trying to differentiate between the three broadcasters needs to take a step back and realise no boxing is free these days - the purses involved are just too large. Pay your £10, support the boxers and support this new platform. Competition between broadcasters is a very healthy thing for the sport, and terrestrial exposure for boxing is great for absolutely everyone involved in it (not just the Eubanks).
Hard to argue with that really. Terrestrial PPV could be a very powerful tool. Although I won't be buying it as I'm out.

El General 1994

I've bought the PPV and don't feel I'm being conned. The IBO belt has more integrity than any of the top four sanctioning bodies, even if it's not as prestigious. Eubank Jr always entertains and there's some decent fights on the undercard too, happy to support it.
Good lad. I've paid for it too and I'm personally happy to support the boxing.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
It's a joke of a fight to be on PPV, let's be completely honest.

I see the larger picture as well, but no reason they couldn't kick off a new production with a fight that offers viewers better value. Start as you mean to continue.

Kazi

It's a joke that this card is on PPV. If it wants to be healthy competition, put it on ITV. Let your audience grow and then think about making a PPV card. Making people pay for a shite card isn't healthy for anyone.

NextSeason

It's a joke that this card is on PPV. If it wants to be healthy competition, put it on ITV. Let your audience grow and then think about making a PPV card. Making people pay for a shite card isn't healthy for anyone.
No ones making anyone do anything - it's a choice you have. People that think it's value for money will pay. How can they compete without doing PPV? It's where all the money is in boxing. IMO, this fight is not PPV worthy but I won't knock them for trying it.

It's a joke of a fight to be on PPV, let's be completely honest.

I see the larger picture as well, but no reason they couldn't kick off a new production with a fight that offers viewers better value. Start as you mean to continue.
That would have been the clever way to do it but clearly the greed took over.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Getting a Saturday night slot on the biggest commercial channel isn't as easy as people imagine - boxing isn't as popular as it used to be. Bare in mind Eubank has fought on terrestrial before, I imagine if he had the opportunity to do so on ITV he would have.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
David Price in another embarrassing fight where he goes from flooring an opponent to being stopped through sheer fatigue amid constant reminders of his own weak chin.

FC Ronaldo

Cheers found a nice river , hope it stays that way.
Good stuff.

There was some cracking upper cuts, but over all a poor fight.
Agreed. Price's fights mostly are. He either annihilates or stops.

He's the most frustrating fighter to watch because he had all of the ingredients to be one of the best in the heavyweight division - that right hand of his is up there with the most powerful single shots in boxing. Everything else is woeful though. Tactics, awareness, mental strength, fitness etc.

Any fighter that steps in the ring is braver than me and even in my criticisms, they have my utmost respect, but Price has to be up there as one of the weakest mentally in the game. Unless he flattens them (or they get up) then he folds everytime and becomes his own worst enemy in the rest of the fight before the inevitable conclusion - a loss.

G-manc

Price's stamina is awful - he looks like he'd struggle to hear the final bell if he had to shadow box for 12 rounds.

Eubanks doesn't punch anywhere near as hard as he thinks he does.

G-manc

I'm torn on tonight. I originally thought it was a joke until I read this below comment on a YouTube vid:

Hard to argue with that really. Terrestrial PPV could be a very powerful tool. Although I won't be buying it as I'm out.
There's no one on the bill whose purse should require PPV charges and they've not had to tempt an established fighter over to defend his title with big money.

Eubank Snr is a total bell and impossible to deal with - look at the ticket pricing which was a joke. It's all about how much money they can make not giving boxing back to a terrestrial audience like he's pretending.

If it doesn't do the numbers then ITV will bail then where do they go?

Oggmonster

I don't like the Eubank's but part of me can see why they do what they do. I think the reality of it is that Jr isn't that good. They might as well milk the name for all it's worth and get the money when they can. He's a decent level fighter and probably a step above what he fights at the moment but if he did fight the likes of GGG etc he'd get humiliated. People after the fight were saying how the opponent was better than people thought or whatever but I just think Eubank is an average boxer really. Like I say I don't like the guy but he honestly might as well continue using the name fighting shite til people stop paying to see him.

As for Price he's a joke, Fury embarrassed Hammer when they fought just shows the diference in class between them.

Claymore

I'm amazed that people in this thread would pay for PPV for it, or any fight to be honest. People saying they'd pay if the card was good, stuff that, its paying that makes boxing PPV, if we didn't pay then it'd be on free TV, which, you know, isn't free anyway because we have to pay £150 TV licenese a year + subscription fees on top for the likes of Sky, BT, Boxnation etc.

I was a mug before, but after Kahn v Prescott at Manchester arena, never again. I don't care if Eddie Hearn slimes out a card of:

Joshua v Haye
Wilder v Fury and the winners face off against each other on the same night with Kel Brook v Khan, Eubank v Saunders and GGG v Kanelo on the undercard, I'm not paying. Would rather be a drone who sleep walks their way to the parking meter in a car park and drops loads of their hard earned coins in without thinking. Its all the same, if you pay, they'll keep charging more and more and trying to get away with silly stuff like PPV for one Eubank fight with Price on the undercard. Price is shocking, always was. Amazing to think he was after Fury years ago. He seems to get exhausted like Wald did that time in vegas, but in EVERY fight he's in.

FC Ronaldo

Was the Price batter or the Eubank fight worth chekcing out? Will have a look for some footage if so...
Not really mate. It was the same as their usual fights but with different people. Instead of Price knocking Tony Thompson over before wilting on his feet, it was Hammer. Instead of Nick Blackwell being stopped for his own good, it was Renold Quinlan.

Oggmonster

I'm amazed that people in this thread would pay for PPV for it, or any fight to be honest. People saying they'd pay if the card was good, stuff that, its paying that makes boxing PPV, if we didn't pay then it'd be on free TV, which, you know, isn't free anyway because we have to pay £150 TV licenese a year + subscription fees on top for the likes of Sky, BT, Boxnation etc.

I was a mug before, but after Kahn v Prescott at Manchester arena, never again. I don't care if Eddie Hearn slimes out a card of:

Joshua v Haye
Wilder v Fury and the winners face off against each other on the same night with Kel Brook v Khan, Eubank v Saunders and GGG v Kanelo on the undercard, I'm not paying. Would rather be a drone who sleep walks their way to the parking meter in a car park and drops loads of their hard earned coins in without thinking. Its all the same, if you pay, they'll keep charging more and more and trying to get away with silly stuff like PPV for one Eubank fight with Price on the undercard. Price is shocking, always was. Amazing to think he was after Fury years ago. He seems to get exhausted like Wald did that time in vegas, but in EVERY fight he's in.
Just to let you know your TV License pays for BBC, which doesn't broadcast the boxing.

Claymore

Skimmed through Price, a good comeback shot for his knockdown after getting hit plenty by Hammer but what followed in later rounds was embarrassing. He was bending over and virtually falling asleep on the ropes, how can he be so knackered!! Eubank v Quinlan was a good fight, Quinlan was like Whyte or Brazille against Joshua, very tough. That double uppercut he took on the ropes was mental. Decent but still wouldn't pay.

Just to let you know your TV License pays for BBC, which doesn't broadcast the boxing.

Just to let you know.... if Joe Calzaghe came back and fought Froch at the millenium stadium and Itv put it on itv1 then you'd still need a tv license for £150!!! (Regardless of if Graham Norton and Lineker etc get the dough. )

NextSeason

There's no one on the bill whose purse should require PPV charges and they've not had to tempt an established fighter over to defend his title with big money.

Eubank Snr is a total bell and impossible to deal with - look at the ticket pricing which was a joke. It's all about how much money they can make not giving boxing back to a terrestrial audience like he's pretending.

If it doesn't do the numbers then ITV will bail then where do they go?
I agree that the bill was not PPV worthy - already said that above. But to expect any decent level of boxing to be aired for free then that's just not going to happen, being realistic.

Sorry to break it to you, but most of life is to do with how much money can be made.

I doubt ITV will bail if it didn't do well last night. They have other options like putting on actual good fights. I can see the likes of David Haye and Amir Khan being interested in working with them as well as you can access a bigger audience than Sky PPV and you don't have to give Eddie Hearn a cut.

G-manc

I agree that the bill was not PPV worthy - already said that above. But to expect any decent level of boxing to be aired for free then that's just not going to happen, being realistic.

Sorry to break it to you, but most of life is to do with how much money can be made.

I doubt ITV will bail if it didn't do well last night. They have other options like putting on actual good fights. I can see the likes of David Haye and Amir Khan being interested in working with them as well as you can access a bigger audience than Sky PPV and you don't have to give Eddie Hearn a cut.
I know SKY and Boxnation are subscription channels but they have their share of free cards too albeit they are becoming rarer. I just think jumping straight in with PPV is a mistake - it should be down the line for genuine quality not as standard because people like Eubank overestimate their own self-worth. I would absolutely expect last nights card to be free for the reason i stated in my last post - not one of the fighters that were on the bill are big money fighters. I grumbled when Joshua went PPV so early but when you think what they would have had to pay Charles Martin for example to come over here to defend his title then it's understandable. I'd be surprised if Quinlan was paid a 6 figure sum last night.

I just found the whole thing a bit weird. Granted ITV are dipping their toes into unknown territory but surely they have to come up with more than what was served up last night. Tiny arena (that wasn't even full) and just a general lack of big fight feel or pizazz which at least you get with SKY.

Does Eubank even have a promoter? how does he expect to unify the belts with no one to stump up the money for the opponents?

Oggmonster

[QUOTE="Claymore, post: 20429849, member: 34727"
Just to let you know.... if Joe Calzaghe came back and fought Froch at the millenium stadium and Itv put it on itv1 then you'd still need a tv license for £150!!! (Regardless of if Graham Norton and Lineker etc get the dough. )[/QUOTE]

True but it's not Sky or ITVs fault theirs a TV License fee is my point. It's not really fair to blame them for the price of something they don't get anything out of and use it as a logic to not pay for the boxing really.

I don't see the massive problem with boxing being on PPV for a good card either. It's what allows us the opportunity to get top level fights, both fighters (who are taking huge risks just stepping into the ring) get financially rewarded for it and therefore are more likely to fight. The PPV model generates more interest in itself really. Look at stuff like the PBC which in America it's still not taken off really.

I'd say the inconsistency of PPVs make it less appealing. I don't mind paying for Mayweather vs. Pacquiao (even if it was shite in hindsight) or Joshua vs. Wlad. I'd of paid for Frampton vs. Santa Cruz II myself but it's when stuff like Kell Brook vs. Jo Jo Dan is on box office I'd agree it is stupid.

If you don't want to pay that's fine it's your choice I'm not bothered in the slightest how you spend your money, it's yours to do what you want with. Personally it doesn't bother me paying when the card warrants it.

Utdstar01

Eubank Jr just seemed to be in 3rd gear the whole fight barring moments and the final round when he finally decided to throw a barrage of power punches that were just too much in the end. Think he could've ended it a lot sooner if he wanted to easily.

Oggmonster

People have said that about a few of Eubank's fights. Spike O'Sullivan is one I remember people saying it for.

I personally just think he's a few levels below the top fighters and whilst he is better than the people he fights he isn't good enough to end it whenever he wants or easier than he does. Considering his last fight before this one ended in 4 rounds and the on e before O'Sullivan ended in 2 I don't know why he wouldn't end all his fights that early if he wanted to.

G-manc

Eubank Jnr. doesn't punch anywhere near as hard as he thinks he does. He's a spiteful puncher but not a knockout artist - if he was he'd have cleaned up the likes of Quinlan relatively quickly with the shots he landed.

FC Ronaldo

Eubank Jnr. doesn't punch anywhere near as hard as he thinks he does. He's a spiteful puncher but not a knockout artist - if he was he'd have cleaned up the likes of Quinlan relatively quickly with the shots he landed.
Agreed. Froch-like concussive blows and accumulation stoppages (with added skill on the angle of many of his punches) are his bread and butter as opposed to single punch or single combination stoppages.

Utdstar01

While I agree that he isn't the hardest hitter there's a few in here underrating his power. He was headlining his first own PPV for people asking why he wouldn't go in there and get the job in 2 rounds. Fans want to see more than 1 or 2 rounds in the main event hence why I think he took the fight deeper than he could've.

What Eubank Jr is known for is his switch combinations, speed and accuracy. The only way we will know if he's good enough is when he steps up and fights somebody decent like most fighters it just happens too often nowadays where boxers can pick and choose but I genuinely think Eubank Jr would fight most. The thing is he is a risky fight, he's a high risk low reward scalp at the minute.

Oggmonster

While I agree that he isn't the hardest hitter there's a few in here underrating his power. He was headlining his first own PPV for people asking why he wouldn't go in there and get the job in 2 rounds. Fans want to see more than 1 or 2 rounds in the main event hence why I think he took the fight deeper than he could've.

What Eubank Jr is known for is his switch combinations, speed and accuracy. The only way we will know if he's good enough is when he steps up and fights somebody decent like most fighters it just happens too often nowadays where boxers can pick and choose but I genuinely think Eubank Jr would fight most. The thing is he is a risky fight, he's a high risk low reward scalp at the minute.
I don't know about that. Mike Tyson, one of the biggest names ever in boxing, used to knock people out inside 1 or 2 rounds regularly and sold out arenas and did big PPV numbers. Anthony Joshua is doing the same now. Them 2 are more popular than Eubank ever will be.

I genuinely don't buy this thing he'd fight anyone. He's been called out by loads of people. He comes up with shit excuses, he constantly says he'll fight other fighters the minute they're announced for fights. The guy is a level above what he fights but a good few levels below any of the top in his division. If I had to guess he'll keep fighting a few bums and then when he becomes irrelevant he might take a risky fight for a pay day. The Eubanks, especially Sr are masters at marketing themselves. Look at the bullshit with Blackwell when they were all over TV saying they wouldn't hit him in the head to "protect him" were they feck, the whole thing was cos it wasn't working so hit him to the body instead!