The RedCafe Boxing Thread

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's never a good way to judge a fight going off their faces. Some fighters bruise/cut easier than others especially older fighters with higher cheek bones. I can give hundreds of examples of the worse looking guy winning the fight and many times by KO.
You're obviously correct in what you're saying, but I don't remember ever seeing GGG look like that before. Perhaps he has, I've not watched all his fights? People are so riled up with Canelo, but no matter which way you saw the fight, you have to be impressed with him. He's an absolute beast of a boxer.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
You're obviously correct in what you're saying, but I don't remember ever seeing GGG look like that before. Perhaps he has, I've not watched all his fights? People are so riled up with Canelo, but no matter which way you saw the fight, you have to be impressed with him. He's an absolute beast of a boxer.
I think we can all agree on that! He is superb. I do feel sorry for GGG, though and I think he was robbed both times. In the two fights he was the busier, more aggressive fighter, threw and laded more punches overall. You can argue about the power shots but only if they are effective. In the last fight GGG rocked Canelo 2/3 times, GGG never looked close to being rocked.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think we can all agree on that! He is superb. I do feel sorry for GGG, though and I think he was robbed both times. In the two fights he was the busier, more aggressive fighter, threw and laded more punches overall. You can argue about the power shots but only if they are effective. In the last fight GGG rocked Canelo 2/3 times, GGG never looked close to being rocked.
Yeah I'm not going to argue with that, it's done to death now, but what I will say is one of the times he apparently had Canelo rocked, he started swinging for the hills. Canelo was stood still but channeled some prime Floyd Mayweather and practically ducked, rolled, bobbed, weaved every single shot absolutely perfectly. Then came back banging. The commentators were convinced he was rocked but he almost looked like he was taking the piss.

Either way, it was a great fight. I enjoyed both of them.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Yeah I'm not going to argue with that, it's done to death now, but what I will say is one of the times he apparently had Canelo rocked, he started swinging for the hills. Canelo was stood still but channeled some prime Floyd Mayweather and practically ducked, rolled, bobbed, weaved every single shot absolutely perfectly. Then came back banging. The commentators were convinced he was rocked but he almost looked like he was taking the piss.

Either way, it was a great fight. I enjoyed both of them.
The two of them are absolute warriors and maybe the only two fighters in the division that could withstand the other's big shots. The vast majority of fighters would have been knocked out in either fight. Proper, proper boxing matches!

Inter Yer Nan

I never got the fuss with the first fight. I thought it was just an average fight between two guys who didn't do a whole bunch differently or special. This past weekend was really good though. Like most I felt GGG was robbed but I think Canelo has proven a lot of toughness and quality. GGG is slipping no doubt. I don't think these fight would have been this competitive if GGG was the guy from 2-3 years ago but that's Boxing.

I'd rather they don't fight each other next. I really didn't like the build-up or fallout from this fight. I'd rather see GGG get a crack at the Saunders-Andrade winner and see Cnaleo fight Charlo and if they both win then match them together next September.

I feel for GGG though. This was his marquee match. It came a little past his best but he still won but doesn't get the official W for the record books which will wrongly affect his place in history.

Thisistheone

Also feel for GGG. The fight Saturday was amazing and could have gone either way but what I'm finding a bit sad right now is the thought that we're at the end of the GGG era. He's been brilliant for boxing, over the last 7 or 8 years, fighting 4 times a year, never ducking anyone, winning by KO every time in a really exciting, aggressive style. No fuss outside of the ring, no Broner/Mayweather flash. Just got on with it.

He deserved that W on his record against Canelo from at least one of the fights.

Boxing needs more Golovkins.

Inter Yer Nan

Yeah and most high level professional boxers thought Canelo won as well. I’ll take their opinion over yours and especially the press’.
It's about 50/50 between the fighters so not "most".

Andre Ward: Alvarez
David Lemieux: Alvarez
Jaime Munguia: Alvarez
Claressa Shields: Alvarez
David Haye: Alvarez
Robert Garcia: Alvarez
George Foreman: Alvarez
Mikey Garcia: Alvarez
Andrew Tabiti: Alvarez
Rolando Romero: Alvarez
Luis Tapia: Alvarez

Al Bernstein: Golovkin
Lou DiBella: Golovkin
Manny Pacquiao: Golovkin
Lennox Lewis: Golovkin
Danny Jacobs: Golovkin
Terence Crawford: Golovkin
Matthew Macklin: Golovkin
Carl Frampton: Golovkin
Richie Woodhall: Golovkin
Rafael Garcia: Golovkin
Paulie Malignaggi: Golovkin
Shawn Porter: Golovkin
Jarrett Hurd: Golovkin

Roy Jones Jr: Draw

Zen

Man, I thought Manuel Charr was so so so much older than he actually is. Mad.

T_Model101

Joshua-Povetkin tomorrow but not feeling any buzz. It's really not a bad fight. Povetkin is one of the better Heavyweights of the last 10 years and still presents danger.
Yep, it'll be a much better fight than Parker that's for sure. Povetkin is also at his lowest weight in 9 years, so he's taking it seriously. Although I am in no doubt that he'll be a far lesser fighter with no meldonium.
The storm here will seriously impact the crowd I think, tickets are still actually on Stubhub for £40, which I have never seen before for an AJ fight

Inter Yer Nan

Hearing Lance Pugmire of the LA Times (very reliable) is saying Staples Center has put a great bid in and are optimistic they will land this fight. The undercard would feature Leo Santa Cruz vs. Gary Russell in a unification fight and Gervonta Davis vs. Abner Mares in a pointless fight. I heard Vegas is out (for now) of the running because the fighters agree upon a judge from England, a judge from Wilder's state of choice and a Nevada judge and Nevada said no because they want three Nevada judges. Also the T-Mobile arena is booked so MGM would be the only option.

I hope so. I've been to two Heavyweight title fights in my time Vitali Klitschko vs. Chris Arreola and Bermane Stiverne vs. Chris Arreola so I'll welcome this. I had my fill of seeing Arreola get his backside kicked.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Joshua in round 4/5

Povetkin just comes forward in straight lines and is done now
It should be straightforward. It's just that overhand right that keeps him in it.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
Please no upset tomorrow, need an AJ win to keep alive the Wilder fight in April.
defeat will not stop the Wilder fight, and neither it should.
Joshua will be in trouble if Povetkin lands flush as he has real power.
In saying that Joshua, Wilder & Fury (if back) are the fights to watch.
None of them are greats but it is what it is, and we need to see these guys go head to head on a few occasions.

SambaBoy

Hearing Lance Pugmire of the LA Times (very reliable) is saying Staples Center has put a great bid in and are optimistic they will land this fight. The undercard would feature Leo Santa Cruz vs. Gary Russell in a unification fight and Gervonta Davis vs. Abner Mares in a pointless fight. I heard Vegas is out (for now) of the running because the fighters agree upon a judge from England, a judge from Wilder's state of choice and a Nevada judge and Nevada said no because they want three Nevada judges. Also the T-Mobile arena is booked so MGM would be the only option.

I hope so. I've been to two Heavyweight title fights in my time Vitali Klitschko vs. Chris Arreola and Bermane Stiverne vs. Chris Arreola so I'll welcome this. I had my fill of seeing Arreola get his backside kicked.
Some undercard that. Leo will be high up in the p4p's if he comes through that fight. Gary Russell is probably the quickest fighter out there.

Thisistheone

defeat will not stop the Wilder fight, and neither it should.
Joshua will be in trouble if Povetkin lands flush as he has real power.
In saying that Joshua, Wilder & Fury (if back) are the fights to watch.
None of them are greats but it is what it is, and we need to see these guys go head to head on a few occasions.
It might not stop it down the line, but if we want that super fight in April then AJ has to win tonight. Joshua has a rematch clause if he loses so it’d be Povetkin again in April, then Wilder might go for Povetkin.

April is the perfect time for it to happen. Assuming Wilder beats Fury. The hype would be unreal, it would break PPV records imo. Two unbeaten HW's going at it for all the belts, Brit vs American, in front of 90,000.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You know how you have those footballers who don’t like football? Price must be a boxer who doesn’t like boxing.