The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Simbo

Christ, he was dazed on his feet and took a full on right hand with no defense.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yep. Boxers need protecting from themselves. Corner should have ended it too. Thankfully Joshua didn’t go crazy on him.

Scorecards sounded dodgy.
They tried to. You could see his trainer trying to pull him out of the ring. :lol:

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
An awful 6 rounds from Joshua followed by THAT round 7! Wow.

Wilder wouldn’t have let him see round 3 on that form though.

kidbob

Don't really understand the problem with the 'hype train'.

He's a world class heavyweight fighter, and he just so happens to be British. Why not get behind him?

The part in bold, again, why is this a problem? If it's spreading the sport and increasing it's popularity amongst those who wouldn't normally watch it then why is that bad? You surely can't think that boxing should only be watched and enjoyed by those who know significant in-depth knowledge about it? That seems quite a blinkered and insular approach to have.
No he's not. Nor is anyone else fighting in the heavyweight division currently. Hell I have my doubts about how class Tyson was but he'd mop the floor with any of the so called 'World Class' heavyweights nowadays. Being one of the best of a bad era doesn't make you great. Also before anyone brings up his 'gold medal', he lost 2 fights in gaining that medal but amateur boxing is somehow even more corrupt than professional.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
An awful 6 rounds from Joshua followed by THAT round 7! Wow.

Wilder wouldn’t have let him see round 3 on that form though.
On what basis? Wilder’s fought virtually no-one of repute. There’s no serious publication or respected journalist who has Wilder as a better fighter or anywhere near Joshua’s class as a top 10 P4P contender.

The Bloody-Nine

No he's not. Nor is anyone else fighting in the heavyweight division currently. Hell I have my doubts about how class Tyson was but he'd mop the floor with any of the so called 'World Class' heavyweights nowadays. Being one of the best of a bad era doesn't make you great. Also before anyone brings up his 'gold medal', he lost 2 fights in gaining that medal but amateur boxing is somehow even more corrupt than professional.
You don't know anything about boxing. Shut the f*ck up.

Wayne's World

Isn't it any wonder Joshua wants to fight in the UK and not fight in Las Vegas with scorecards like that? He only won two rounds in that fight and the judges had him winning in every one?

Ridiculous

FC Ronaldo

Wilder is shite.
I’m an AJ fan but just calling it objectively. Joshua let a hooker throw hooks at him all fight and lowered his head to Povetkin’s level. The Povetkin that fought Klitschko would have beat Joshua tonight - timing was everything.

As for Wilder, he’s wild, crude and basic but he’d have taken shots at AJ’s head left, right and centre on that performance. Just calling it straight.

FC Ronaldo

On what basis? Wilder’s fought virtually no-one of repute. There’s no serious publication or respected journalist who has Wilder as a better fighter or anywhere near Joshua’s class as a top 10 P4P contender.
Didn’t say he’s a better fighter. See reply above for further breakdown of that performance and my justification for that comment.

The Bloody-Nine

I’m an AJ fan but just calling it objectively. Joshua let a hooker throw hooks at him all fight and lowered his head to Povetkin’s level. The Povetkjn that fought Klitschko would have beat Joshua tonight - timing was everything.

As for Wilder, he’s wild, crude and basic but he’d have taken shots at AJ’s head left, right and centre on that performance. Just calling it straight.
Lowered his head to Pov's level? What are you talking about? Wilder is an inch taller than AJ. But he sucks. His technique is ass and he's chinny. An inch taller than AJ and weighs 30 pounds less...

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Lazy argument to state that the ghosts of heavyweight past would mop the floor with AJ. We'll never know whether they would or not, and it's impossible to prove.

The fact of the matter is that he's undefeated world champion, it's not his fault if it's a bad era, he beats who he's in the ring with, so the ultimate saltiness towards AJ winning is unwarranted. He won, he's undefeated professionally and he's world champion. He works hard and knows how to beat his opponents.

Credit needs to be given when credit is due.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Wilder beat Ortiz, who was considered by most experts the best in the division

AJ was helped by the bell in the first round and got tagged a couple times by the overhand right. If he starts like that against Wilder he doesn't survive past the 3rd round

TheLiverBird

Fantatsic!!!!

What a 7th round!! Smashed it AJ

People saying "wilder would have put his lights out in those first rounds"

Well he wasn't fighting Wilder was he, you adjust to who's fighting in front of you at that time, AJ does just that....and gets the measure of them

21 KO's in 22 fights suggest so

FC Ronaldo

Lowered his head to AJ's level? What are you talking about? Wilder is an inch taller than AJ. But he sucks. His technique is ass and he's chinny. An inch taller than AJ and weighs 30 pounds less...
Joshua lowered to Povetkin almost every time he threw a jab and made Povetkin’s target to fire back easier for him.

Again, I’m not saying Wilder is better or comparing their frames. Just stating that Wilder would have punished Joshua in a far more clinical fashion with the same opportunities that Joshua presented to Povetkin tonight.

If you’re not going to read my comments and digest them, I won’t reply again.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Obviously no one thinks peak Tyson would be bothered by any of the current lot, but there are some top class fighters in this group as well.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Wilder beat Ortiz, who was considered by most experts the best in the division

AJ was helped by the bell in the first round and got tagged a couple times by the overhand right. If he starts like that against Wilder he doesn't survive past the 3rd round
Ortiz best in division?! Wtf are you smoking?

kidbob

There was just so much stupidity in there that it's hard to address. According to you, there is no such thing as a world class HW.
Read my post again and tell me where you garnered that from. How is me explaining why I think AJ isn't World Class saying there's no such thing as a World Class heavyweight. What I said was there is no current World Class heavyweights. AJ is a pretty good boxer overall but I just don't think he's hit that level yet.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Isn't it any wonder Joshua wants to fight in the UK and not fight in Las Vegas with scorecards like that? He only won two rounds in that fight and the judges had him winning in every one?

Ridiculous
Did they really? I missed that!

That's not fair at all.

Revan

Assumptionman
Joshua has monster power.

The referees should feck off though. He was leading 4-2 in two cards, and 5-1 in the third. I had Povetkin leading 4-2, thought that he was dominating the fight and having the cleaner shots. Never in doubt that Joshua would KO him though.

kidbob

Obviously no one thinks peak Tyson would be bothered by any of the current lot, but there are some top class fighters in this group as well.
I suppose my criteria is that they should match the greats of any era to be considered World Class. If we are just judging on this era alone then yes AJ is probably 2 fights away from proving he is the best of the best. I fancy him to do it unless Wilder catches him.

The Bloody-Nine

Joshua lowered to Povetkin almost every time he threw a jab and made Povetkin’s target to fire back easier for him.

Again, I’m not saying Wilder is better or comparing their frames. Just stating that Wilder would have punished Joshua in a far more clinical fashion with the same opportunities that Joshua presented to Povetkin tonight.

If you’re not going to read my comments and digest them, I won’t reply again.
I read your comment, quoted you, and questioned it. AJ supposedly 'lowering his head' vs Povetkin has absolutely nothing to do with a fight vs Wilder.

Revan

Assumptionman
I suppose my criteria is that they should match the greats of any era to be considered World Class. If we are just judging on this era alone then yes AJ is probably 2 fights away from proving he is the best of the best. I fancy him to do it unless Wilder catches him.
The big feck will defeat both Wilder and him. Then retire again.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Not sure I agree with everyone's thoughts on the judges scores. I only had Povetkin winning 2, Joshua at least 2, the others a toss-up. 4-2 Joshua totally reasonable to me.

The Bloody-Nine

Read my post again and tell me where you garnered that from. How is me explaining why I think AJ isn't World Class saying there's no such thing as a World Class heavyweight. What I said was there is no current World Class heavyweights. AJ is a pretty good boxer overall but I just don't think he's hit that level yet.
I garnered it from this.

No he's not. Nor is anyone else fighting in the heavyweight division currently.