The RedCafe Boxing Thread

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Jesus. Is he the fighter thats died? He's practically slumping whilst they're waiting for the decision, they should have acted immediately instead of trying to hold him up.
Indeed. Even without the benefit of hindsight, it should have been very apparent very quickly that he was in a very bad way.

Kazi

Falling perfectly into place for Haymon. He’ll be able to make Wilder-Ruiz and bloody Wilder will end up with all the belts.

Inter Yer Nan

Falling perfectly into place for Haymon. He’ll be able to make Wilder-Ruiz and bloody Wilder will end up with all the belts.
I'm not sure Ruiz can refuse to fight Joshua and keep all the belts since they have a binding contract with a re-match clause. I'm sure it will get resolved. Also, Usyk is the WBO mandatory challenger and they aren't in Haymon's pocket so that would be enforced before Ruiz could sign to fight Wilder. Luckily Boxing politics will make it hard for that turd Wilder to get a crack at undisputed which he previously ran from anyway. I'd pick Ruiz to beat him anyway.

Speaking of Usyk, I'm not even seeing any news on when his fight is being re-scheduled for. Sucks, he had such a great year and had all that momentum and he may just fight once this year.

Inter Yer Nan

After a terrible couple of weeks for boxing (Sweat Pea's death and the two ring deaths) we do have a great fight tomorrow. Sadly, the schedule is really grim beyond that until Lomachenko-Campbell on August 31st. Jose Ramirez vs. Maurice Hooker for the WBO & WBC titles. Both unbeaten and improving. I figured Hooker could be done at the weight after some struggles getting down but he's still here. He had a great year last year and Ramirez put on some excellent fights as of late. I don't think these two are quite in the class of Josh Taylor and Regis Prograis but they are both good, young champions and I think the styles will mesh to make a really good fight. Potentially fight of the year caliber. It's in Hooker's hometown of Dallas but I expect a large Mexican turnout to make a 50/50 crowd at least. I'll take Ramirez on a close, but fair and clear decision.

The PBC serving up more dross (it's rare they make any good cards) with that awful Gervonta Davis fight against whats his face. Seriously, when is this guy going to step up? They are babying him too much. I don't think his style, weight fluctuation and penchant for running into trouble with the law are worth the coddling and holding back. He soon won't be able to make super featherweight (where he typically only fights bantams and super bantams) and with his short height and arms he'll struggle at lightweight where he'd struggle to make in 12-18 months too. They should be rolling the dice with him now but my guess is that when a fighter is that protected it's because he doesn't have the right stuff inside of him and the team knows it. That's my hunch with Davis. He's another Broner.

The other fight is a pairing of shot ex-champions Yuriokis Gamboa and Rocky Martinez. That could deliver good action but it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Kazi

Good video. Best point made was from Paulie about Ruiz being Mexican. Such a simple argument but so so true.

Inter Yer Nan

Not really much to look forward to this weekend.

Michael Conlan vs. another nondescript boxer is hardly worth a watch. I just wonder how much longer Top Rank can keep milking Conlan and his being Irish. He's not a bad fighter and seems a nice guy and I want him to do well but he's just not that good IMO.

The PBC card is even worse tomorrow. Kownacki vs. Arreola. Arreola is shot and was never that good he's essentially cannon fodder to create an opponent for Wilder in Kownacki. Lucas Browne on the underdog however is a good fighter and a major player at light heavyweight but he's fighting Jean Pascal who's hopelessly passed it. I've never liked Pascal (he's too much of a loudmouth, points fingers at others whilst obviously abusing PEDs among other things) but I fear he's going to end up getting hurt in this game. He's game to a fault and tough but takes beatings galore these days. Please, retire so you don't get hurt.

I have to laugh at the Canelo situation. He's getting stripped of the IBF title. De La Hoya is threatening legal action. His fighter has been given a "Mayan" WBC belt for beating the African American Brooklyn native, Danny Jacobs and has their newly minted "franchise" championship which means he can never lose his title even if he's KO'd but the IBF enforce rules and they have a shit fit. The IBF and WBO, unbelievably are the two most honorable organizations which is a sad indictment on how pathetic the WBC (We Be Crooks) and WBA have become. I have a friend who works at DAZN in NYC and the word is they are pissed at Canelo and Golden Boy. They were under the impression Canelo-GGG III would be this year and even now they couldn't get this IBF mandatory vs. Dereyvchenko signed. Apparently it's likely now that Canelo will be facing off with Demetrius Andrade and Golovkin has agreed to fight Dereyvchenko for the IBF which may force the GGG-Canelo III fight for May of next year. Another tidbit was in a recent presser in NYC they had to kick De La Hoya because he was belligerently coked up and drunk out of his mind. I swear that company would be in the can but for Canelo driving more than 100% of their revenue. I heard a while back even Canelo is a bit upset at the company (not sure the specifics) and I'm sure he doesn't respect Oscar much as a man.

Last edited:

poleglass red

Not really much to look forward to this weekend.

Michael Conlan vs. another nondescript boxer is hardly worth a watch. I just wonder how much longer Top Rank can keep milking Conlan and his being Irish. He's not a bad fighter and seems a nice guy and I want him to do well but he's just not that good IMO.

The PBC card is even worse tomorrow. Kownacki vs. Arreola. Arreola is shot and was never that good he's essentially cannon fodder to create an opponent for Wilder in Kownacki. Lucas Browne on the underdog however is a good fighter and a major player at light heavyweight but he's fighting Jean Pascal who's hopelessly passed it. I've never liked Pascal (he's too much of a loudmouth, points fingers at others whilst obviously abusing PEDs among other things) but I fear he's going to end up getting hurt in this game. He's game to a fault and tough but takes beatings galore these days. Please, retire so you don't get hurt.

I have to laugh at the Canelo situation. He's getting stripped of the IBF title. De La Hoya is threatening legal action. His fighter has been given a "Mayan" WBC belt for beating the African American Brooklyn native, Danny Jacobs and has their newly minted "franchise" championship which means he can never lose his title even if he's KO'd but the IBF enforce rules and they have a shit fit. The IBF and WBO, unbelievably are the two most honorable organizations which is a sad indictment on how pathetic the WBC (We Be Crooks) and WBA have become. I have a friend who works at DAZN in NYC and the word is they are pissed at Canelo and Golden Boy. They were under the impression Canelo-GGG III would be this year and even now they couldn't get this IBF mandatory vs. Dereyvchenko signed. Apparently it's likely now that Canelo will be facing off with Demetrius Andrade and Golovkin has agreed to fight Dereyvchenko for the IBF which may force the GGG-Canelo III fight for May of next year. Another tidbit was in a recent presser in NYC they had to kick De La Hoya because he was belligerently coked up and drunk out of his mind. I swear that company would be in the can but for Canelo driving more than 100% of their revenue. I heard a while back even Canelo is a bit upset at the company (not sure the specifics) and I'm sure he doesn't respect Oscar much as a man.

Re Conlon. The fight this week is an outdoor fight at a local west belfast festival, where he's from, 11k at an outside venue in west belfast is unheard of. His original opponent was Nikitin the boyo he lost that dodgy decision to at 2016 Olympics. It was all set up as revenge, when he pulled out it left them needing a quick fix. Don't know the lad he is fighting, his record is 21-2, seems to have fought majority of his career for Latino titles, hard to know the standard of fighters he has faced. Conlon always pledged he'd fight in West Belfast, this is a massive event so they were never going to give him a top class opponent. I think your right though after this, he needs to start ramping it up. I have to disagree strongly with you re his talent though. I think he's legit. He's not your usual bang bang fighter you typically get from Ireland, but his movement and counter punching are top drawer. He can stand and mix it, but a bit like Carl Frampton, he sometimes lets emotions get to him and he'll stand and trade, when he should stick to the game plan. I think he's destined for a world title, I really do. He's 27 now, so next couple of yrs are massive for him

Inter Yer Nan

Re Conlon. The fight this week is an outdoor fight at a local west belfast festival, where he's from, 11k at an outside venue in west belfast is unheard of. His original opponent was Nikitin the boyo he lost that dodgy decision to at 2016 Olympics. It was all set up as revenge, when he pulled out it left them needing a quick fix. Don't know the lad he is fighting, his record is 21-2, seems to have fought majority of his career for Latino titles, hard to know the standard of fighters he has faced. Conlon always pledged he'd fight in West Belfast, this is a massive event so they were never going to give him a top class opponent. I think your right though after this, he needs to start ramping it up. I have to disagree strongly with you re his talent though. I think he's legit. He's not your usual bang bang fighter you typically get from Ireland, but his movement and counter punching are top drawer. He can stand and mix it, but a bit like Carl Frampton, he sometimes lets emotions get to him and he'll stand and trade, when he should stick to the game plan. I think he's destined for a world title, I really do. He's 27 now, so next couple of yrs are massive for him
I hope you're right. I'm rooting for him, but his relatively late pro start and slow movement and in general not overly impressive/uneven performances have led me to believe he's a level below the world class guys. I'll be watching tomorrow but not really into the fight.

Inter Yer Nan

Billy Joe Saunders has left Frank Warren by mutual consent. I'm assuming he'll join Hearn now then?

Also, Tyson Fury next fight set for September 14th in Las Vegas against Otto Wallin. Just seems like another fighter like the last guy. Fury's getting highly paid but can't help but feel it's been a wasted year from a competition standpoint.

Dan_F

Billy Joe Saunders has left Frank Warren by mutual consent. I'm assuming he'll join Hearn now then?

Also, Tyson Fury next fight set for September 14th in Las Vegas against Otto Wallin. Just seems like another fighter like the last guy. Fury's getting highly paid but can't help but feel it's been a wasted year from a competition standpoint.
I feel like it makes sense to have a quick turn around, but it’s so annoying when people lap up his shit talk about other people fighting bums.

Inter Yer Nan

Anyone have any idea roughly what time to expect the Lomachenko-Campbell main event on August 31st? I am at a wedding that day which starts at 4pm PT which would be midnight U.K time. I can't be a prick and miss the ceremony since I'm going out of town for it but also can't miss a Lomachenko fight.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So Ruiz-AJ rematch takes place in Saudi Arabia of all places!!!

Kazi

Hearn is going to get absolutely hammered for hosting the fight there

Anyone have any idea roughly what time to expect the Lomachenko-Campbell main event on August 31st? I am at a wedding that day which starts at 4pm PT which would be midnight U.K time. I can't be a prick and miss the ceremony since I'm going out of town for it but also can't miss a Lomachenko fight.
Usually around 10:30-10:45pm local time

Inter Yer Nan

I like this move for both parties. Mathroom have a lot of dates and with DAZN they also have access to Andrade if they want to revisit that if he can make 160 or potentially Canelo, Jacobs or Smith at 168. They'll keep him active which is what he needs given that he balloons up in weight between fights.

SambaBoy

I like this move for both parties. Mathroom have a lot of dates and with DAZN they also have access to Andrade if they want to revisit that if he can make 160 or potentially Canelo, Jacobs or Smith at 168. They'll keep him active which is what he needs given that he balloons up in weight between fights.
When was the last relevant fight BJS had? Lemieux if that counts.

He's a waste of time, calls out the likes of Canelo and GGG but probably refuses to fight them. Gets a good fight with Andrade and gets called off. Last relevant fight was probably Eubank Jr.

Inter Yer Nan

He's a waste of time, calls out the likes of Canelo and GGG but probably refuses to fight them. Gets a good fight with Andrade and gets called off. Last relevant fight was probably Eubank Jr.
Yeah the Lemieux one which he didn’t follow up. His problem is discipline I feel which is likely brought upon by a limited fight schedule. Andrade himself was a once a year fighter now under Hearn and DAZN he’s in the ring every 3-4 months.

Nico87

I absolute despise BJS, I think he’s probably the most genuinely repugnant man in boxing right now ( and there isn’t exactly a shortage of competition).

I do think he’d fight GGG or Canelo if he got the chance as there is little to lose for any fighter against them as they get a massive payday and a loss isn’t to damaging to your reputation. The issue is he’s done absolutely nothing to get on their radar, why would elite fighters, who fight once or twice a year fight a man who’s top 5 wins include the bouncer at sugar hut and the hardest man in Essex. Phil Mitchel has a better resume and he’s fat, middle aged and fictional. If he really wants to fight the best he needs to start claiming the scalps of top 5 fighters in the division to generate interest as a worthy opponent.

RedFish

I absolute despise BJS, I think he’s probably the most genuinely repugnant man in boxing right now ( and there isn’t exactly a shortage of competition).

I do think he’d fight GGG or Canelo if he got the chance as there is little to lose for any fighter against them as they get a massive payday and a loss isn’t to damaging to your reputation. The issue is he’s done absolutely nothing to get on their radar, why would elite fighters, who fight once or twice a year fight a man who’s top 5 wins include the bouncer at sugar hut and the hardest man in Essex. Phil Mitchel has a better resume and he’s fat, middle aged and fictional. If he really wants to fight the best he needs to start claiming the scalps of top 5 fighters in the division to generate interest as a worthy opponent.
As repugnant a man he is, he presents a real problem for either GGG or Canelo. He can see him getting a UD fighting either one.

Inter Yer Nan

My guess is that he can't make 160 and that he'll maybe fight Callum Smith whilst Smith can still make 168. That or again just mouth off, beating bums whilst waiting for GGG or Canelo to offer him a shot.

Nico87

My guess is that he can't make 160 and that he'll maybe fight Callum Smith whilst Smith can still make 168. That or again just mouth off, beating bums whilst waiting for GGG or Canelo to offer him a shot.
Is he rumoured to be moving up?. I don’t rate BJS as much as others here, he’s got a decent shot selection and looks great aesthetically putting them together against crude bangers but I think his lack of power would hold him back with the best talent at Middleweight, moving up would only exasperate that. I think Callum would be far too big and powerful for him, but I’d love to see it for the reason mentioned.

Inter Yer Nan

For those that are interested in reading books on fighters and era's of previous generations here's some books that I put up there as a mix of essential reading sprinkled in with a few personal favorites/books that may interest some here (British). No particular order of significance or quality but I've put them into sub categories.

Essay style

The Sweet Science by AJ Liebling
- Liebling of The New Yorker is widely considered the most gifted writer to cover sports and this book was voted as the greatest American sports book of all-time by Sports Illustrated. It covers his works from the 1940's-1950's with Rocky Marciano, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis featured most prominently.

A neutral corner by AJ Liebling - These essays cover his work from the 1950's into the 1960's covering such unique fighters as Floyd Patterson, Archie Moore, Sonny Liston and Archie Moore. If you get the above book, you'll almost certainly want this one too.

Gods of War by Springs Toledo - I think this author is probably the closest thing to Liebling and the greatest sports writer of this generation. It starts of with a collection of some of his writings on such subjects as Peter Quillan and the original Kid Chocolate, the life and death of Alexis Arguello and then he breaks down his 10 greatest fighters in history with superb write-ups on each.

In the cheap seats by Springs Toledo - An excellent collection of stories where the author covers modern fights featuring the likes of Wadimir Klitshcko, Sergey Kovalev, Manny Pacquaio and writes about them in such a descriptive way whilst linking them to some of the greats of the past. Another literary masterpiece.

Dark Trade by Donald McRae - A brutally up close and personal look at the fighters and the men behind the fights during the 1990's of travelling the world covering some of the biggest names in boxing such as James Toney, Mike Tyson, Roy Jones, Evander Holyfield.

McIllvaney on Boxing by Hugh McIlvanney - Britain's Libeling and our very own Sir Alex' ghost writer, McIllvaney covered boxing and wrote about it better than anyone for about 30 years. This collection of his works is really one that should be in any boxing book worms library. A personal favorite write-up of mine is his account of the Carlos Ortiz vs. Ismael Laguna III fight from Shea Stadium in New York.

The hardest game by Hugh McIlvanney - Again, another collection of works that is so wonderfully written. There's a wide range of content here from the heavyweights of the 1970's, to British stars Ken Buchanan and Barry McGuigan all the way into some of the stars of the 1990's like Oscar De La Hoya, Lennox Lewis and Roy Jones.

Fridays Heroes by Willie Pep - This book is Pep really talking about himself a little bit and his up close stories about fighters he was friends with and fighters he saw up close and on TV. An excellent straight forward read by one of the all-time greats about a golden era.

Interview/Feature style

Corner Men by Ronald Fried - The author features some of the greatest boxing trainers and minds in history as they go into depth explaining their experiences, their methods and with countless incredible insights. Such legends as Ray Arcel, Jack Blackburn, Eddie Futch and Angelo Dundee are featured.

In the corner by Dave Anderson - Equally as good and important as the above book, this one features such legendary trainers as George Benton, Emmanuel Steward in addition to the men behind Marvin Hagler and Mike Tyson plus more.

In this corner..by Peter Heller - 42 world champions tell their story and it's brilliant. Legends from Jack Dempsey to Joe Louis to Henry Armstrong to Beau Jack to Roberto Duran etc; there is a nice little write up on each fighter and then the transcript of unedited interviews where the fighters told their story and what was on their mind. I'd argue this is probably the first book you should purchase if you've not got any on my list.

History

Mountain Fighters by Lawrence Davies
- This book covers an era of mountain fighters in South Wales and is one of the finest pieces of boxing research that's been put to paper. A lot of the names of the people in the book I'd never heard of, men from the coal mines who'd settle differences and fight for cigarettes or a drink in the mountains away from the police.

Jack Scarott's Prize fighters by Lawrence Davies - The same author's excellent follow up covers close to a 100 page memoir from the Boxing booth promoter Scarott and then gets into his superbly researched and detailed write-ups. Some of the names featured are enshrined in the hall of fame like Jimmy Wilde and Jim Driscoll whereas many aren't known but are equally fascinating. This book is about the period of when booth fighting was prominent in Wales. For those that don't know what that is, a promoter would have like a fairground type tent and call people in there to either pay to watch or participate for a pay.

The International Boxing Hall of Fame register by the IBHOF - This was my bible in the late 90's early 2000's when I was trying to learn of all the greats. It has a small write-up on every hall of famer and their fight by fight record. Nothing majorly detailed but very useful and really helps if you are trying to get more interested and learn more.

Biographies

Live fast, die young: The life & times of Harry Greb by Stephen Compton: A hugely researched work which was over a decade in the making this book is over 700 pages. That had put me off purchasing it for a while but I figured Greb is a guy I want to know all about so I got it and really had a hard time putting it down at times. Brilliantly detailed and though the writer is a huge Greb fan, you don't sense any bias as the reports and stories are written as reported. Greb has the greatest resume of any fighter in history, yet no fight footage is known to exist, so do yourself a favor and get this one.

Charley Burley: The life & hard times of an uncrowned champion by Allen Rosenfeld - Thoroughly researched and detailed featuring many first hand sources and reports this one is also a hefty read coming in at around 600 pages. One way of looking at Burley is that he was a hard luck fighter, victim of the race discrimination of the times but he was also a quiet, dignified man of exceptional talent and artistic skill. The result is one of the greatest boxers ever and a worthy detailed look at his life which also helps you really appreciate and understand the era.

Sam Langford: Boxing's greatest uncrowned champion by Clay Moyle - I believe this to be the best written of these biographies and really paints the picture of the man and the times. Wonderfully researched and detailed piece on a happy go lucky lovable man who had everything against him and just got in with it to become one of the greatest fighters in history.

Freddie Welsh: Occupation: Prizefighter by Andrew Gallimore - Welsh is one of the most interesting characters to ever put on the gloves and Gallimore succeeded in bringing his story to life in an entertaining and fascinating manner. Born in Wales, Welsh moved to the States in his mid teens and often split time. From hobo to avoided challenger to (wrongly) ridiculed champion Welsh not only had an incredible career he also was the inspiration behind The Great Gatsby, a lover of literature who hung with the higher class and one of the first and most successful fighters at playing the press.

Joe Gans: The Longest fight by William Gildea - The shortest of these books but rich in expertly written detail, this book is featured around Gans' historical first battle with Battling Nelson but also tells the life story of an inspiring but ultimately tragic sporting idol.

Sweet William (Billy Conn) by Andrew O'Toole - An excellent book on Conn that really paints the picture of the Pittsburgh fight scene and Conn's Irish heritage. Conn, a fiery, brash Irish American lived an exciting life to say the least and this detailed, researched book with first hand accounts does him and his legacy justice.

Dick Tiger: The Life and Times of a Boxing immortal by Adeyinka Makinde - A brilliant book on the man who for my money is the greatest African boxer ever. The story details his youth, his struggling days in Liverpool and then his rise in America as a fight favorite and Ring fighter of the year, his wild popularity in Nigeria and his political struggles in his homeland and sad early death.

Autobiographies

Joe Frazier
with Phil Berger
Larry Holmes with Phil Berger
By George by George Foreman
Somebody up there likes me by Rocky Graziano
Raging Bull by Jake LaMotta
Victory over myself by Floyd Patterson
Sugar Ray Robinson
with Dave Anderson
Ken Buchanan: Tartan Legend
Jimmy Wilde: Fighting was my business

Hitting and stopping: How I won 100 fights by Jimmy Wilde - This one is a lot of Wilde talking tactics and is fascinating insight whilst also talking about such things as his hardest fight and the modern version as an excellent write up by Lawrence Davies.

Stories on individual fights
The Fight by Norman Mailer on Frazier-Ali I
Ghosts of Manilla by Mark Kram on Ali-Frazier III - You may not like it if you're an Ali die hard.
Beyond Glory by Dave Margolick on Louis-Schmeling II
Four Kings by George Kimball on the Leonard-Duran-Hearns-Hagler Fab Four fights

There's a lot more. I'll probably add over time.

Last edited:

Inter Yer Nan

Is he rumoured to be moving up?. I don’t rate BJS as much as others here, he’s got a decent shot selection and looks great aesthetically putting them together against crude bangers but I think his lack of power would hold him back with the best talent at Middleweight, moving up would only exasperate that. I think Callum would be far too big and powerful for him, but I’d love to see it for the reason mentioned.
Saunders' last fight was at 168 which he believed was to be for the WBO title but I think Gilberto Ramirez tried to say he's not vacating yet despite saying he's moving up. In fact, Saunders is officially the holder of the WBO title now so doubtful he'd move back down especially with Jacobs moving up, Canelo probably looking to move up for the right fight too.

SambaBoy

Yeah I feel BJS is massively overrated and as soon as he steps up a level, he will get found wanting badly. Not even necessarily against GGG or Canelo but the likes of Andrade & Jacobs would beat him. Smith would be a good fight, but yeah I'd expect him to have the upper hand with his size. Smith has an advantage against even proper super middleweights, it's crazy how he can make that weight without draining himself.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Been watching some boxing entrances on YouTube and Mike Tyson definitely had the coolest of them. Such aura. :drool:

G-manc

For those that are interested in reading books on fighters and era's of previous generations here's some books that I put up there as a mix of essential reading sprinkled in with a few personal favorites/books that may interest some here (British). No particular order of significance or quality but I've put them into sub categories.

Essay style

The Sweet Science by AJ Liebling
- Liebling of The New Yorker is widely considered the most gifted writer to cover sports and this book was voted as the greatest American sports book of all-time by Sports Illustrated. It covers his works from the 1940's-1950's with Rocky Marciano, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis featured most prominently.

A neutral corner by AJ Liebling - These essays cover his work from the 1950's into the 1960's covering such unique fighters as Floyd Patterson, Archie Moore, Sonny Liston and Archie Moore. If you get the above book, you'll almost certainly want this one too.

Gods of War by Springs Toledo - I think this author is probably the closest thing to Liebling and the greatest sports writer of this generation. It starts of with a collection of some of his writings on such subjects as Peter Quillan and the original Kid Chocolate, the life and death of Alexis Arguello and then he breaks down his 10 greatest fighters in history with superb write-ups on each.

In the cheap seats by Springs Toledo - An excellent collection of stories where the author covers modern fights featuring the likes of Wadimir Klitshcko, Sergey Kovalev, Manny Pacquaio and writes about them in such a descriptive way whilst linking them to some of the greats of the past. Another literary masterpiece.

Dark Trade by Donald McRae - A brutally up close and personal look at the fighters and the men behind the fights during the 1990's of travelling the world covering some of the biggest names in boxing such as James Toney, Mike Tyson, Roy Jones, Evander Holyfield.

McIllvaney on Boxing by Hugh McIlvanney - Britain's Libeling and our very own Sir Alex' ghost writer, McIllvaney covered boxing and wrote about it better than anyone for about 30 years. This collection of his works is really one that should be in any boxing book worms library. A personal favorite write-up of mine is his account of the Carlos Ortiz vs. Ismael Laguna III fight from Shea Stadium in New York.

The hardest game by Hugh McIlvanney - Again, another collection of works that is so wonderfully written. There's a wide range of content here from the heavyweights of the 1970's, to British stars Ken Buchanan and Barry McGuigan all the way into some of the stars of the 1990's like Oscar De La Hoya, Lennox Lewis and Roy Jones.

Fridays Heroes by Willie Pep - This book is Pep really talking about himself a little bit and his up close stories about fighters he was friends with and fighters he saw up close and on TV. An excellent straight forward read by one of the all-time greats about a golden era.

Interview/Feature style

Corner Men by Ronald Fried - The author features some of the greatest boxing trainers and minds in history as they go into depth explaining their experiences, their methods and with countless incredible insights. Such legends as Ray Arcel, Jack Blackburn, Eddie Futch and Angelo Dundee are featured.

In the corner by Dave Anderson - Equally as good and important as the above book, this one features such legendary trainers as George Benton, Emmanuel Steward in addition to the men behind Marvin Hagler and Mike Tyson plus more.

In this corner..by Peter Heller - 42 world champions tell their story and it's brilliant. Legends from Jack Dempsey to Joe Louis to Henry Armstrong to Beau Jack to Roberto Duran etc; there is a nice little write up on each fighter and then the transcript of unedited interviews where the fighters told their story and what was on their mind. I'd argue this is probably the first book you should purchase if you've not got any on my list.

History

Mountain Fighters by Lawrence Davies
- This book covers an era of mountain fighters in South Wales and is one of the finest pieces of boxing research that's been put to paper. A lot of the names of the people in the book I'd never heard of, men from the coal mines who'd settle differences and fight for cigarettes or a drink in the mountains away from the police.

Jack Scarott's Prize fighters by Lawrence Davies - The same author's excellent follow up covers close to a 100 page memoir from the Boxing booth promoter Scarott and then gets into his superbly researched and detailed write-ups. Some of the names featured are enshrined in the hall of fame like Jimmy Wilde and Jim Driscoll whereas many aren't known but are equally fascinating. This book is about the period of when booth fighting was prominent in Wales. For those that don't know what that is, a promoter would have like a fairground type tent and call people in there to either pay to watch or participate for a pay.

The International Boxing Hall of Fame register by the IBHOF - This was my bible in the late 90's early 2000's when I was trying to learn of all the greats. It has a small write-up on every hall of famer and their fight by fight record. Nothing majorly detailed but very useful and really helps if you are trying to get more interested and learn more.

Biographies

Live fast, die young: The life & times of Harry Greb by Stephen Compton: A hugely researched work which was over a decade in the making this book is over 700 pages. That had put me off purchasing it for a while but I figured Greb is a guy I want to know all about so I got it and really had a hard time putting it down at times. Brilliantly detailed and though the writer is a huge Greb fan, you don't sense any bias as the reports and stories are written as reported. Greb has the greatest resume of any fighter in history, yet no fight footage is known to exist, so do yourself a favor and get this one.

Charley Burley: The life & hard times of an uncrowned champion by Allen Rosenfeld - Thoroughly researched and detailed featuring many first hand sources and reports this one is also a hefty read coming in at around 600 pages. One way of looking at Burley is that he was a hard luck fighter, victim of the race discrimination of the times but he was also a quiet, dignified man of exceptional talent and artistic skill. The result is one of the greatest boxers ever and a worthy detailed look at his life which also helps you really appreciate and understand the era.

Sam Langford: Boxing's greatest uncrowned champion by Clay Moyle - I believe this to be the best written of these biographies and really paints the picture of the man and the times. Wonderfully researched and detailed piece on a happy go lucky lovable man who had everything against him and just got in with it to become one of the greatest fighters in history.

Freddie Welsh: Occupation: Prizefighter by Andrew Gallimore - Welsh is one of the most interesting characters to ever put on the gloves and Gallimore succeeded in bringing his story to life in an entertaining and fascinating manner. Born in Wales, Welsh moved to the States in his mid teens and often split time. From hobo to avoided challenger to (wrongly) ridiculed champion Welsh not only had an incredible career he also was the inspiration behind The Great Gatsby, a lover of literature who hung with the higher class and one of the first and most successful fighters at playing the press.

Joe Gans: The Longest fight by William Gildea - The shortest of these books but rich in expertly written detail, this book is featured around Gans' historical first battle with Battling Nelson but also tells the life story of an inspiring but ultimately tragic sporting idol.

Sweet William (Billy Conn) by Andrew O'Toole - An excellent book on Conn that really paints the picture of the Pittsburgh fight scene and Conn's Irish heritage. Conn, a fiery, brash Irish American lived an exciting life to say the least and this detailed, researched book with first hand accounts does him and his legacy justice.

Dick Tiger: The Life and Times of a Boxing immortal by Adeyinka Makinde - A brilliant book on the man who for my money is the greatest African boxer ever. The story details his youth, his struggling days in Liverpool and then his rise in America as a fight favorite and Ring fighter of the year, his wild popularity in Nigeria and his political struggles in his homeland and sad early death.

Autobiographies

Joe Frazier
with Phil Berger
Larry Holmes with Phil Berger
By George by George Foreman
Somebody up there likes me by Rocky Graziano
Raging Bull by Jake LaMotta
Victory over myself by Floyd Patterson
Sugar Ray Robinson
with Dave Anderson
Ken Buchanan: Tartan Legend
Jimmy Wilde: Fighting was my business

Hitting and stopping: How I won 100 fights by Jimmy Wilde - This one is a lot of Wilde talking tactics and is fascinating insight whilst also talking about such things as his hardest fight and the modern version as an excellent write up by Lawrence Davies.

Stories on individual fights
The Fight by Norman Mailer on Frazier-Ali I
Ghosts of Manilla by Mark Kram on Ali-Frazier III - You may not like it if you're an Ali die hard.
Beyond Glory by Dave Margolick on Louis-Schmeling II
Four Kings by George Kimball on the Leonard-Duran-Hearns-Hagler Fab Four fights

There's a lot more. I'll probably add over time.
I have quite a few of these - i'll see if i can pic up some of the others.

I have a signed manuscript of Alexis Arguello's autobiography that was never printed.