The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Thought it was closer than what the judges had it. No way was it that wide.
I don't. I thought for any success Campbell had, Loma came back with better. Gave Campbell a couple of rounds

Summit

I wouldn't have had him that far ahead by the end of the 10th. Probably about 1-2 ahead by them for me.
I'm struggling to see which rounds you have Campbell? And I was really trying to find excuses to give him rounds, but Loma was just too good. Any success Luke had was matched and bettered. Even the round where Loma was momentarily rocked, within ten seconds he caused more damage and Luke and it looked like Luke was the gonna

RooneyLegend

Campbell won the first round cause Loma basically didnt throw any punches in it. After that it was one way traffic.

predator

Youth NITK
Loma is almost flawless but Campbell did so well to take the shots he did and only go down once whilst also giving some back. Campbell utilised his reach superbly. Mcguigan should be proud.

starman

Campbell is one of the best, if not the best of the current fighters that has never one won a belt, imo. Shame it was Loma infront of him tonight. Not sure where he goes from here though, maybe wait and hopes Loma moves up again...

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'm struggling to see which rounds you have Campbell? And I was really trying to find excuses to give him rounds, but Loma was just too good. Any success Luke had was matched and bettered. Even the round where Loma was momentarily rocked, within ten seconds he caused more damage and Luke and it looked like Luke was the gonna
Would probably need to rewatch it, but there were rounds were Loma wasn't really bothering Luke with anything at all, and the fact Luke was constantly pushing forward and tagging him with a soft jab meant he won a couple close rounds for me

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In spite of that ending only one way, that was a high class fight.

Summit

Would probably need to rewatch it, but there were rounds were Loma wasn't really bothering Luke with anything at all, and the fact Luke was constantly pushing forward and tagging him with a soft jab meant he won a couple close rounds for me
Apart from the first there wasn't any rounds where Loma was as you say. At a push I'd give Luke another round, but it was still a landslide. You had Loma only one or two points in front going into the last two rounds? Not a chance.

Last edited:

Verbalkint

• Some nice fights coming up in remainder of the year. A slow start to 2019 but is now picking up pace.
My Top 5

Loma/Campbell Tomorrow
Spence/Porter 28 Sep
Canelo/Kovalev 02 Nov
Inoue/Donaire 07 Nov
Commey/Lopez 14 Dec
Gvozdyk vs Beterbiev would be my pick, that's a good list though!

On a different note, what on earth is up with Dillian Whyte? It's like he's dropped off the Earth. Been silent of late .

Inter Yer Nan

I see Hearn saying that Campbell may be going up in weight in search of a title. Lomachenko is going to have all four titles and unlikely to lose any time soon so 140 probably a better division for most. Having said that, Ramirez has two titles and the winner of Taylor-Prograis will have two (maybe they'll fight each other to be undisputed) so whilst some divisions it's easy to win a "world title", those two divisions are very, very difficult. Unfortunately what this will be to some of the fan boys and social media cretins is dismiss every fighter in these divisions because they aren't "champions".

SambaBoy

I feel a lack of options for Loma may stop him going down as one of the all time best. He's always up for fighting whoever is put infront of him so it's not through any fault of his own but opponents have been dodging him or their is just a lack of options.

The best fights that can be made for him is Davis, Lopez, Garcia.

Garcia v Loma would have been spectacular but crictics will now say Garcia isn't the same fighter after his pasting to Spence. Was quite a stupid move to stay up two weights to fight someone like Spence. Should have waited and fought Loma.

Davis needs a few more fights before he can fight Loma IMO. If Loma faces him next and beats him, not much will be added to Loma's legacy, same with Lopez.

Thisistheone

Anyone fancy Joshua for the rematch? Can't decide if he was just complacent for the first fight or if Ruiz genuinely just has his number?

Oggmonster

Anyone fancy Joshua for the rematch? Can't decide if he was just complacent for the first fight or if Ruiz genuinely just has his number?
He's got a chance. Ruiz is beatable but a bad style match up for him. He's obviously got KO power though and can knock anyone out.

I have a feeling he will win and we will get some painful "redemption" story from Hearn, Sky, Joshua and a few more fights against nobodies before he challenges anyone decent again

Thisistheone

He's got a chance. Ruiz is beatable but a bad style match up for him. He's obviously got KO power though and can knock anyone out.

I have a feeling he will win and we will get some painful "redemption" story from Hearn, Sky, Joshua and a few more fights against nobodies before he challenges anyone decent again
Aye, its a very interesting fight. Could go either way.

Yeah, we will definitely get that story line. But if he wins, all the fans want to see is the big fights. Wilder, Fury. No more ducking each other.

Thisistheone

Initially I was undecided. Got the feeling Ruiz isn’t nearly as focused or tuned in this time and Joshua is. I think Joshua will finish him early.
That could certainly be the case. Massive fight to look forward to eitherway. Lots of things about Joshua were off last time and Ruiz had nothing to lose.

Inter Yer Nan

That could certainly be the case. Massive fight to look forward to eitherway. Lots of things about Joshua were off last time and Ruiz had nothing to lose.
Shades of Rahman against Lewis. Rahman was the right place, right time and then his promoter tried to get him out of it, turn his head a bit and his focus wasn't near the tunnel vision it was whereas the old champ had his career and legacy on the line.

Inter Yer Nan

I feel a lack of options for Loma may stop him going down as one of the all time best. He's always up for fighting whoever is put infront of him so it's not through any fault of his own but opponents have been dodging him or their is just a lack of options.

The best fights that can be made for him is Davis, Lopez, Garcia.

Garcia v Loma would have been spectacular but crictics will now say Garcia isn't the same fighter after his pasting to Spence. Was quite a stupid move to stay up two weights to fight someone like Spence. Should have waited and fought Loma.

Davis needs a few more fights before he can fight Loma IMO. If Loma faces him next and beats him, not much will be added to Loma's legacy, same with Lopez.
It depends how great are we talking? I think his ability/talent etc; for within 50 years of his debut is very possibly among the best dozen or so. Sadly because of a general lack of talent compared to other era's and the major issue of too many promoters, over marination of matches and ducking of top opponents by many fighters/promoters there's really no spotlight for multiple guys to be great and publicly recognized as so. There's really only room for 4-5 at one time in the whole sport because of this. It seriously hampers a guy like Lomachenko who is willing to challenge himself and put on the fights and has the ability.

I think Loma's legacy will be enhanced by the fact his entire career is at the championship level and mostly vs. world class opponents, the fact he's the (joint) fastest to win a first title, the fastest to win a second and third title and the fact he'll be an undisputed champion within his next two fights. On the back of his 396-1, 2 Olympic Gold's amateur career will make him memorable enough that he'll definitely be in any serious all-time top 100. I expect him to be retired fairly soon, perhaps in 5-6 more fights. If there's an undisputed champion at 140 like Taylor or Ramirez, for example and he rolls the dice and beats either then he'll almost certainly deserve a top 50 placing. I'd personally be tempted to place him over Mayweather, Hopkins, Marquez but perhaps not Pacquaio of the most recent greats. I think we'll see him beat the Commey/Lopez (he'd TOY with Lopez) winner, probably defend against Haney (who I feel will go on to be great), toy with Gervonta Davis (who'd be a big big but IMO is the most overrated boxer since Jeff Lacy), maybe make a defense against a Frampton or Selby in the U.K, perhaps beat the very good Miguel Berchelt and maybe squeeze in 1-2 more fights. If he does all that without losing and keeps looking like he's looking he'll probably find a fair ranking around 40-60 which IMO is lower than what his ability is. 135 is heating up so if he stays there he has a great chance of being remembered among the greats. If that 140 undisputed thing were to happen then I'd put him in with the immortals.

Some of the casual fans online say, "Oh well he's not beat a hall of famer", but that's dumb talk often and it's often perpetrated by Mayweather fanboys/Loma/Euro fighter bashers. They never hold their idols to such standards. It's like saying Julio Cesar Chavez never beat a "great" fighter so he's not great. Madness. Chavez is always ranked highly, sometimes you're so good you stop others being great and others are judged to a ridiculous standard in comparison. Buster Douglas beat a "great" fighter, so is he greater than Chavez? Hell to the no.

Inter Yer Nan

Tyson Fury is releasing his autobiography in November. Perhaps would have been better to wait a couple of years as he's still got some of his biggest fights ahead of him but I think I'll get this one. I'm sure it will be an interesting read. Autographed copies are being sold for 20 gbp.

RedFish

Tyson Fury is releasing his autobiography in November. Perhaps would have been better to wait a couple of years as he's still got some of his biggest fights ahead of him but I think I'll get this one. I'm sure it will be an interesting read. Autographed copies are being sold for 20 gbp.
Won't be dull that's for sure.

Summit

How much would a signed glove go for?

Oggmonster

Won't be dull that's for sure.
I dunno. Don't get me wrong his story is interesting as well as inspirational but I feel it's been told a thousand times already. Sure there's extra bits in there but he's been pretty open (and congratulations for him to do so). Bit the book probably does re tell the same.stuff

Inter Yer Nan

A heads up to the U.K residents here but on a Welsh channel called S4C (a free channel apparently).

(http://www.s4c.cymru/e_listings.shtml?dt=2019-09-11) they are re-airing a documentary on the great 'peerless' Jim Driscoll tonight at 23:15. It's an hour long documentary. "The amazing story of Jim Driscoll, the Welshman of Irish descent born into poverty, who boxed his way to the top without ever forgetting his roots. 'Peerless Jim' became British, European and Commonwealth featherweight boxing champion - and was considered 'Champion of the World'. We look at rare archive footage of Driscoll in the ring and visit some of the vibrant boxing communities in the South Wales Valleys inspiring a new generation. Jim Driscoll died on 30 January 1925."

It's got a number of interviews and it's sure to be a good one for those with an interest in boxing history. Driscoll is one of the greatest boxers to ever live and has a great story and stood out for his skills and chivalry in a golden era for Welsh (and British) boxing. I have someone in Wales recording it for me but he said he'd send it on a DVD and I'm not 100% the region would work over here. I contacted the station asking if it'd be available for US viewers and they said no. I really hope I can watch this, hopefully on youtube.

Inter Yer Nan

I dunno. Don't get me wrong his story is interesting as well as inspirational but I feel it's been told a thousand times already. Sure there's extra bits in there but he's been pretty open (and congratulations for him to do so). Bit the book probably does re tell the same.stuff
I'm sure it will be a lot of the stuff he's talked about in interviews and whatnot but I'm sure there will be a lot of other little stories in there. I'll be interested about some of the details of his youth, his climb to the championship too. I'm not a big fan of reading autobio's on athletes still in there primes but I'll be getting this one. I got Calzaghe's years ago (I'm an unabashed Calzaghe fan) and though I enjoyed it somewhat, he's obviously not the personality Fury is and he hadn't even fought Kessler by the time he'd released it. Would have loved to have read an updated version with that fight, the two US fights, the hall of fame induction etc;

Oggmonster

I'm sure it will be a lot of the stuff he's talked about in interviews and whatnot but I'm sure there will be a lot of other little stories in there. I'll be interested about some of the details of his youth, his climb to the championship too. I'm not a big fan of reading autobio's on athletes still in there primes but I'll be getting this one. I got Calzaghe's years ago (I'm an unabashed Calzaghe fan) and though I enjoyed it somewhat, he's obviously not the personality Fury is and he hadn't even fought Kessler by the time he'd released it. Would have loved to have read an updated version with that fight, the two US fights, the hall of fame induction etc;
True he's had an interesting life. I don't mind the guy to listen to but just feel I've heard the story loads now. I also think like you're saying with Calzaghe people should wait til their retired before releasing a book. Rooney has loads out and he's not even interesting!

Classical Mechanic

True he's had an interesting life. I don't mind the guy to listen to but just feel I've heard the story loads now. I also think like you're saying with Calzaghe people should wait til their retired before releasing a book. Rooney has loads out and he's not even interesting!
Rooney signed a 5 books deal at like 18 or something. It was a big contract.

Dan

A heads up to the U.K residents here but on a Welsh channel called S4C (a free channel apparently).

(http://www.s4c.cymru/e_listings.shtml?dt=2019-09-11) they are re-airing a documentary on the great 'peerless' Jim Driscoll tonight at 23:15. It's an hour long documentary. "The amazing story of Jim Driscoll, the Welshman of Irish descent born into poverty, who boxed his way to the top without ever forgetting his roots. 'Peerless Jim' became British, European and Commonwealth featherweight boxing champion - and was considered 'Champion of the World'. We look at rare archive footage of Driscoll in the ring and visit some of the vibrant boxing communities in the South Wales Valleys inspiring a new generation. Jim Driscoll died on 30 January 1925."

It's got a number of interviews and it's sure to be a good one for those with an interest in boxing history. Driscoll is one of the greatest boxers to ever live and has a great story and stood out for his skills and chivalry in a golden era for Welsh (and British) boxing. I have someone in Wales recording it for me but he said he'd send it on a DVD and I'm not 100% the region would work over here. I contacted the station asking if it'd be available for US viewers and they said no. I really hope I can watch this, hopefully on youtube.
It will be broadcast in Welsh so not sure if you’d get subtitles.