The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Inter Yer Nan

I was surprised to see Josh Taylor split from the McGuigan's. It's a great addition to ESPN and means we are almost certainly going to get Taylor-Ramirez this year followed by the winner vs. Crawford next but I never like to see the people who helped steer his career path so excellently shunted to the side. What Taylor has done in 16 fights couldn't be done without the connections they provided and Shane's excellent work.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I was surprised to see Josh Taylor split from the McGuigan's. It's a great addition to ESPN and means we are almost certainly going to get Taylor-Ramirez this year followed by the winner vs. Crawford next but I never like to see the people who helped steer his career path so excellently shunted to the side. What Taylor has done in 16 fights couldn't be done without the connections they provided and Shane's excellent work.
There’s a lot of talk that Josh is not a particularly nice fella.
He comes across that way in the interviews I’ve seen but who knows?

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
That drunken incident recently would suggest this is accurate at least with a few pints in him.
The evidence seems to be stacking up.
Still, you don’t have to be nice to be a top fighter, in fact it probably helps not to be I suppose.

Inter Yer Nan

The evidence seems to be stacking up.
Still, you don’t have to be nice to be a top fighter, in fact it probably helps not to be I suppose.
The amount of boxers I’ve met that came across as pricks or even just not nice is very small. Roger Mayweather is a horrible person (utter scumbag with awful people skills) and David Haye, Amir Khan, Andre Berto seems full of themselves but not many more.

poleglass red

Seems to be the same issue Carl Frampton had with the McGuigan's

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Kell Brook returned to action last night. Decent performance with a strong finish. Personally don’t think he’ll ever get back to his pre-GG best but he’s still a good enough boxer to win a title at 154 without needing to be too. Providing the eye sockets hold up, of course.

Utdstar01

Looking forward to seeing Fury next weekend. Hoping to God that Wilder doesn't get lucky.

JP77

Looking forward to seeing Fury next weekend. Hoping to God that Wilder doesn't get lucky.
I don't think there's any question that Fury is the better technical boxer and as my favourite fighter I'm hoping he gets it done but I've got a terrible feeling Wilder is going to catch him and knock him out. That's the thing with Wilder, people can debate whether he's not a very good technical boxer but even if he gets beaten for 11 rounds of a fight you always know he can catch anybody with that one big shot and pull it off.

Should be a brilliant fight.

Utdstar01

I don't think there's any question that Fury is the better technical boxer and as my favourite fighter I'm hoping he gets it done but I've got a terrible feeling Wilder is going to catch him and knock him out. That's the thing with Wilder, people can debate whether he's not a very good technical boxer but even if he gets beaten for 11 rounds of a fight you always know he can catch anybody with that one big shot and pull it off.

Should be a brilliant fight.
Definitely. Technically, Fury is league's above Wilder and that's indisputable. Just saw this video debating the fight and John Fury is a rather good watch.

I don't think Wilder can really do much more than his first fight. Perhaps conserve his energy better and not be as reckless. But all the things Haye is mentioning there; footwork, combinations etc. Wilder isn't just going to develop at 34 years of age.

Last edited:

Utdstar01

Also hoping Wilder doesn't get lucky because let's face it that's his only possible shot. I think Fury will win every round unless he gets dropped which is what happened last time.
If he doesn't get dropped. I'm not sure how even the most corrupt judges can wriggle their way around such a landslide win.

Inter Yer Nan

If he doesn't get dropped. I'm not sure how even the most corrupt judges can wriggle their way around such a landslide win.
Yeah, it's not like a Canelo fight where he gets the gift but can at least box enough to be competitive. Wilder looks totally inept even against journeymen unless he's scoring a knockout. I've always said it, if Wilder was a middleweight or something he'd probably never have made it onto TV or out of the six-rounders. He'd be something like 5-35. Even the judges had him down against Ortiz in the re-match because there was literally nothing to give him and Ortiz is ancient and not in Fury's class.

poleglass red

John Fury asking Haye to bet on the fight, "50k, 100k, don't matter".John Fury was entertaining if not somewhat contradictory in what he said.In an era esp in football of mundane pundits, he certainly can't be accused of that. I usually can't stand Paulie M, but he came across well in that discussion, made some good points.The one where he said that Fury's performance level rises and falls to the level, or just above his opponents was quite apt.Sublime against champs yet somewhat laboured against journeymen.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Another terrific KO for Ryan Garcia the other night. This kid is really going to do some box office in the coming years.

He’s likely to fight Linares next with Luke Campbell and Tank Davis also on his Radar.

Fener1907

Another terrific KO for Ryan Garcia the other night. This kid is really going to do some box office in the coming years.
Getting back into boxing now and liked the look of him. That left hook looked vicious, as if he's been drilling it since he could stand. Then again, I knew nothing of his opponent.

Has his chin been tested. Wonder how that and his speed hold up as he goes deeper into fights.

Verbalkint

He’s likely to fight Linares next with Luke Campbell and Tank Davis also on his Radar.
Great power from the kid, no doubt about that :)
I have to say Linares looked absolutely lethal though. He's still far from done.

Thisistheone

Getting back into boxing now and liked the look of him. That left hook looked vicious, as if he's been drilling it since he could stand. Then again, I knew nothing of his opponent.

Has his chin been tested. Wonder how that and his speed hold up as he goes deeper into fights.
The lightwieght division (should be) about to get red hot over the next few years. Some major talents all in and around the same weight.

Ryan Garcia, Gervonta Davis, Devin Haney, Teofimo Lopez, Lomachenko. And just above them Josh Taylor, Prograis and Jose Ramirez

Inter Yer Nan

The lightwieght division (should be) about to get red hot over the next few years. Some major talents all in and around the same weight.

Ryan Garcia, Gervonta Davis, Devin Haney, Teofimo Lopez, Lomachenko. And just above them Josh Taylor, Prograis and Jose Ramirez
I think Haney and Lopez will move up this year but at 140 they’d have to go through Taylor or Ramirez for a title. I’d hate to see them finagle a way like with gifting Haney a bogus WBC title at lightweight to avoid getting into fights with Taylor or Ramirez.

If the intention is for these guys to fight each other this will be a great era. Not sure on Davis since he’s got discipline and weight problems. He’d not be suited at all to 140 with his short arms and style but I also don’t think his promoters will let him near Lomachenko, Haney or Lopez.

Shakur Stevenson is a Featherweight now but huge for the weight (he’s a bigger guy than Lomachenko), I imagine he’ll be at 135 in two years or less.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I think Haney and Lopez will move up this year but at 140 they’d have to go through Taylor or Ramirez for a title. I’d hate to see them finagle a way like with gifting Haney a bogus WBC title at lightweight to avoid getting into fights with Taylor or Ramirez.

If the intention is for these guys to fight each other this will be a great era. Not sure on Davis since he’s got discipline and weight problems. He’d not be suited at all to 140 with his short arms and style but I also don’t think his promoters will let him near Lomachenko, Haney or Lopez.

Shakur Stevenson is a Featherweight now but huge for the weight (he’s a bigger guy than Lomachenko), I imagine he’ll be at 135 in two years or less.
How do you rate Stevenson's chances Vs Warrington if it took place in UK mate?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Definitely. Technically, Fury is league's above Wilder and that's indisputable. Just saw this video debating the fight and John Fury is a rather good watch.

I don't think Wilder can really do much more than his first fight. Perhaps conserve his energy better and not be as reckless. But all the things Haye is mentioning there; footwork, combinations etc. Wilder isn't just going to develop at 34 years of age.

I've heard Haye say in multiple interviews that he thinks Fury's cut from the last fight may be a liability in the next one. This strikes me as a bit bizarre given that it should have long healed by now, so I'm not sure what Haye is on about.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Very well. I’d heavily favor him. Warrington is a good fighter, has proven a lot recently etc; but Stevenson I think is developing into something very, very good. His style may be boring (like Haney) but I think he’ll control the fight.
Maybe worth a punt with the UK bookies then as I think JW will be odds on for this.
Impressed that Shakur seems very willing to fight in warrington’s backyard especially after the Galahad fight seemed to be judged in Josh’s favour.

Thisistheone

Oh yeah forgot about Stevenson coming up, he looks a good talent.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Also hoping Wilder doesn't get lucky because let's face it that's his only possible shot. I think Fury will win every round unless he gets dropped which is what happened last time.
Luck won't play a part if he knocks him out though. Why is everyone saying this? If Wilder catches him and knocks him out, then he seen the opening and went for it. He has that power shot in his arsenal, so of course he will look for it. It is down to Fury to protect against it, which he will be doing! So with that said, you can bet your arse Fury will be extra cautious, and if he does get caught, then luck will have nothing to do with it. Give Wilder a bit of credit ffs, or are all his knockout wins lucky? :lol: I get though that Fury is a better fighter technically, I want him to win myself, but a puncher has always got a punchers chance. Simple. No luck.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
My days of staying up for these Vegas fights are over so I'll be waking up Sunday morning and finding out what happened.

I hope Fury doesn't do the same.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
First i heard walk outs in the Tyson Wilder fight were at 4am, now i hear 5am? Does anyone know anything definitive?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
First i heard walk outs in the Tyson Wilder fight were at 4am, now i hear 5am? Does anyone know anything definitive?
4:30 on b365, so probably closer to 5am. They had originally said 2am a few weeks ago, I was gonna have friends round and do an all-nighter. Don’t think I’ll bother now