The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don't know why its pointed out that he was voted as the 85th biggest puncher when the same magazine ranked him as the 19th greatest fighter ever. That is selling him short too IMO.
Cos he's hitting a heavy bag, and hitting it ridiculously hard for a 77-year old!

His output is also nuts.

Inter Yer Nan

Cos he's hitting a heavy bag, and hitting it ridiculously hard for a 77-year old!

His output is also nuts.
Yeah what’s impressive is that even now (he turns 84 next month) as he’s slowing down you still see him play sparring with people and you see how sharp his boxing brain works and his co-ordination is still good. He’s still a vegetarian (hasn’t ate meat since 1956) and goes to the gym four times a week.

I’m working with him and a writer from The Ring (Anson Wainwright) who does a series “greatest hits” and Jofre will be one of the upcoming features. I’ve posted some of those here like the James Toney one. I’ll make sure to post it in here when it’s published.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah what’s impressive is that even now (he turns 84 next month) as he’s slowing down you still see him play sparring with people and you see how sharp his boxing brain works and his co-ordination is still good. He’s still a vegetarian (hasn’t ate meat since 1956) and goes to the gym four times a week.

I’m working with him and a writer from The Ring (Anson Wainwright) who does a series “greatest hits” and Jofre will be one of the upcoming features. I’ve posted some of those here like the James Toney one. I’ll make sure to post it in here when it’s published.
Crazy how some have their faculties like that at such ages. The coordination really stood out, like you can tell he was definitely a somebody when younger. Guessing he would have still looked good on the pads at that age, too.

I know you've a strong affection for him. Should be a good piece!

Luke1995

So, how does the level of excitement for this around the world compares to Tyson-Holyfield 1 and Tyson-Lewis ?

Also, speaking on the technical side, are Wilder's and Fury's skillsets closer to prime form than these two fights I mentioned above ?

Inter Yer Nan

So, how does the level of excitement for this around the world compares to Tyson-Holyfield 1 and Tyson-Lewis ?

Also, speaking on the technical side, are Wilder's and Fury's skillsets closer to prime form than these two fights I mentioned above ?
Those fights were only anticipated because of the names. Next to nobody gave Holyfield a chance and outside of Tyson’s rabid fanbase nobody seriously gave Tyson a chance.

Fury and especially Wilder aren’t in the class of the above but at least they are both perceived as being close to their respective bests. Holyfield was supposed to be washed up whereas Tyson was washed up for Lewis.

Still, the fight/event doesn’t feel as big. Perhaps because Joshua is the biggest name at Heavyweight? Perhaps people just don’t care about boxing in as grand a scale and heavyweights as much. Maybe a decent comparison is Lewis-Holyfield? That was then considered more of a 50/50 but lacking the biggest name (Tyson) thought that was undisputed so bigger than Saturday’s.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Fury's been talking about going toe to toe with Wilder and trying to bang him out... I hope for his sake that is a bluff otherwise it's night night time for him.

It makes no sense to deviate from the original plan - just tighten it up and don't lose concentration in there.

Fury is so much better a boxer than Wilder that it's not even funny. Make him chase all night whilst giving him no chance to plant his feet to set up his bomb and there's no way for Wilder to win, lest he invoke the spirit of an actual top class boxer in there.

If Fury isn't bluffing and does go into a fire fight and somehow knocks Wilder out, it'll be one of the biggest shocks there's ever been in a heavyweight title fight.

This fight is all about what Fury opts to do as he's the only one in there who can control the direction the fight goes in.

Oggmonster

Fury's been talking about going toe to toe with Wilder and trying to bang him out... I hope for his sake that is a bluff otherwise it's night night time for him.

It makes no sense to deviate from the original plan - just tighten it up and don't lose concentration in there.

Fury is so much better a boxer than Wilder that it's not even funny. Make him chase all night whilst giving him no chance to plant his feet to set up his bomb and there's no way for Wilder to win, lest he invoke the spirit of an actual top class boxer in there.

If Fury isn't bluffing and does go into a fire fight and somehow knocks Wilder out, it'll be one of the biggest shocks there's ever been in a heavyweight title fight.

This fight is all about what Fury opts to do as he's the only one in there who can control the direction the fight goes in.
Fury says a lot of things, 99% of them aren't true though!

Oggmonster

Yeah, well I hope this one's a big bluff!
I imagine it is, Fury knows his strengths and weaknesses. He says stuff like that all the time and pretty much always fights the way he does.

Time should be confirmed today but my guess is around 8:45/9pm Pacific Time so Yeah close to 5am for you guys.
Yeah, prob record it and watch it in the morning, always more enjoyable that way to be honest. Struggle to keep my eyes open at 5am these days.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

He'd be crazy to just trade with Wilder at mid-range, but there's an argument to be made that he's safer spending more time on the inside than he did last time, where Wilder can't get full extension on his punches. He's never shown much of an inside game either. whereas Fury is fairly good there and can tire him out in the clinch, score points and do some damage. Fury can box the shit out of him at long range too, but for all his technical limitations Wilder is able to close distance quickly to land his big power shots. Probably not that often against someone as awkward as Fury, but then he doesn't need to land that often.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He'd be crazy to just trade with Wilder at mid-range, but there's an argument to be made that he's safer spending more time on the inside than he did last time, where Wilder can't get full extension on his punches. He's never shown much of an inside game either. whereas Fury is fairly good there and can tire him out in the clinch, score points and do some damage. Fury can box the shit out of him at long range too, but for all his technical limitations Wilder is able to close distance quickly to land his big power shots. Probably not that often against someone as awkward as Fury, but then he doesn't need to land that often.
True, but that cut has a lot more chance of opening up if he's in close against someone as clumsy and erratic as Wilder. I'm also thinking Wilder's power and KO potential doesn't diminish, as we saw last fight where he would have got the knockout in the 12th but for Fury's bizarre Undertaker-like resurrection from what looked like a sure thing.

It would be something special if that's how Fury procured victory because the element of risk and Wilder getting a connection is that much higher if he opts to fight inside, plus the issue with the cut being highly likely to open up one way (punches) or another (butts, intentional or otherwise).

Last thing about fighting so close with Wilder is he is actually pretty awesome on breakaways with that jab overhand hammer he applies; it'd be one step closer to him teeing that up if Fury makes a mistake or gets too formulaic in the clinches.

Luke1995

Those fights were only anticipated because of the names. Next to nobody gave Holyfield a chance and outside of Tyson’s rabid fanbase nobody seriously gave Tyson a chance.

Fury and especially Wilder aren’t in the class of the above but at least they are both perceived as being close to their respective bests. Holyfield was supposed to be washed up whereas Tyson was washed up for Lewis.

Still, the fight/event doesn’t feel as big. Perhaps because Joshua is the biggest name at Heavyweight? Perhaps people just don’t care about boxing in as grand a scale and heavyweights as much. Maybe a decent comparison is Lewis-Holyfield? That was then considered more of a 50/50 but lacking the biggest name (Tyson) thought that was undisputed so bigger than Saturday’s.
Unfortunately for a sport to reach a true mainstream level of attention there needs to be a global superstar. Outside of the hardcores like you, people in general care more about personality and fake beefs than actual skill and wins or losses.

So, boxing needs a Michael Jordan, a Conor Mcgregor, at least somebody like Mike Tyson.

You into mma too or just boxing @Inter Yer Nan ?

Inter Yer Nan

Unfortunately for a sport to reach a true mainstream level of attention there needs to be a global superstar. Outside of the hardcores like you, people in general care more about personality and fake beefs than actual skill and wins or losses.

So, boxing needs a Michael Jordan, a Conor Mcgregor, at least somebody like Mike Tyson.

You into mma too or just boxing @Inter Yer Nan ?
I'm not really into MMA beyond being a casual fan to be honest. I'll watch it but that's about it.

Inter Yer Nan

True, but that cut has a lot more chance of opening up if he's in close against someone as clumsy and erratic as Wilder. I'm also thinking Wilder's power and KO potential doesn't diminish, as we saw last fight where he would have got the knockout in the 12th but for Fury's bizarre Undertaker-like resurrection from what looked like a sure thing.

It would be something special if that's how Fury procured victory because the element of risk and Wilder getting a connection is that much higher if he opts to fight inside, plus the issue with the cut being highly likely to open up one way (punches) or another (butts, intentional or otherwise).

Last thing about fighting so close with Wilder is he is actually pretty awesome on breakaways with that jab overhand hammer he applies; it'd be one step closer to him teeing that up if Fury makes a mistake or gets too formulaic in the clinches.
Wilder has no infighting ability. He doesn't know what to do and can't generate power or apply any kind of technique to short punches, uppercuts, left hooks etc; He's a guy that relies on you walking onto the end of his right hand. He doesn't know how to box. He'll look stupid no matter where the fight is fought every minute that he's not scoring a knockdown and that applies to most opponents not just Fury who's obviously better than everybody else he's fought combined.

Normally getting close to a puncher is dangerous but one as clueless as Wilder as bereft of infighting ability as Wilder it can be easily done. Fury, of course, naturally is better at distance and using his long left jab but that's where he can slip and make the tiniest mistake like in their first fight.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Wilder has no infighting ability. He doesn't know what to do and can't generate power or apply any kind of technique to short punches, uppercuts, left hooks etc; He's a guy that relies on you walking onto the end of his right hand. He doesn't know how to box. He'll look stupid no matter where the fight is fought every minute that he's not scoring a knockdown and that applies to most opponents not just Fury who's obviously better than everybody else he's fought combined.

Normally getting close to a puncher is dangerous but one as clueless as Wilder as bereft of infighting ability as Wilder it can be easily done. Fury, of course, naturally is better at distance and using his long left jab but that's where he can slip and make the tiniest mistake like in their first fight.
Oh I'm not giving Wilder any credit for his in-fighting, just stating it comes with a big risk for Fury if he makes a mistake or loses his focus even for a moment - why give a puncher any chance to set his shot up when you can keep him on the outside all night long?

There's also the factor of the not long healed cut being opened up one way or another if Fury opts to go inside.

Inter Yer Nan

Fair enough! Is there any fight in particular who made you fall in love with boxing all these years ago ?
I sort of just got hooked and watched EVERY fight from small to big from old to new. Anything I could find and then I was the same with magazines and books. I think if I have to pinpoint I would say it was Holyfield-Tyson I that really made it really clear to me how it's my favorite sport though I'd been into it for a little bit already. Felix Trinidad was basically my first real boxing idol.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I sort of just got hooked and watched EVERY fight from small to big from old to new. Anything I could find and then I was the same with magazines and books. I think if I have to pinpoint I would say it was Holyfield-Tyson I that really made it really clear to me how it's my favorite sport though I'd been into it for a little bit already. Felix Trinidad was basically my first real boxing idol.
I was pretty young for that but it was my first ever fight and I distinctively remember it for obvious reasons.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I want Fury to win it, but I've got a sneaky suspicion he'll get knocked out around the 7th or 8th.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Sorry to ask stupid question but when is the fight scheduled for in UK time?

Edit: ignore the above, just read the last page.

Who is the favourite?

Last edited:

Fener1907

The lightwieght division (should be) about to get red hot over the next few years. Some major talents all in and around the same weight.

Ryan Garcia, Gervonta Davis, Devin Haney, Teofimo Lopez, Lomachenko. And just above them Josh Taylor, Prograis and Jose Ramirez
Thanks for the names. I'll make sure to check them out when I have time, although I've already thoroughly enjoyed watching highlights of Lomachenko, who is one of the few that appears to have that crossover appeal.

On this weekend's fight, I find Wilder to be quite underwhelming and, considering the hype, was surprised just how little he had to offer in the first fight. It just seemed painfully one-dimensional with how he wanted to set up his big overhand rights with the jab, and, if anything, looked slightly bamboozled by Fury's ability to put together combinations. Fury's head movement was also impressive and Wilder looked far too wild at times looking for a big finish as it progressed into the later rounds. It was hard to keep up with how many wild shots failed to find the mark. Simply not what I'd expect of a world champion with that record, but suppose that goes to show that records are much more than the numbers.

I don't see what either one changes going into this fight. Wilder will telegraph overhand rights and left hooks because he doesn't look capable of much more, whilst Fury would do best to not bother changing anything himself, as I don't see what more he needed to do to win that fight, aside from keep his ass off the floor, of course.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Someone at work mentioned that this is likely to be on at 5am UK time.

I'm prepared to get up that early to watch the river running by.

Does that timing sound about right?
Yeah 9pm Vegas time will be 5am UK time. Usually around that time when big fight in Vegas.

Fracture90

Fek, im so pumped for this fight!

Nightmare to predict who's going to win it, albeit one thing is for certain imo, there won't be a draw this time around.

Aside from Wilder's mad power, the only other thing that can stop this fight early is that nasty cut that Fury suffered against Wallin, that thing could get open again with nothing but a small graze or an incidental headbutt.