The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Inter Yer Nan

Anyone catch the Chocolatito-Yafai fight? Saw the result. Can't begrudge the all time great.....
Yes. He looked awesome. Yafai fought a bad fight tactically. He’s the bigger man and tried to win using his size and I’m sure figured Chocolatito is far past his best. Chocolatito probably lost two rounds early but ended up beating Yafai up and looking great. Probably one of his best career achievements and what a career and as you say an all-time great.

Oggmonster

Pulev v AJ June 20th at Tottenham stadium
It was inevitable after the 3rd fight between wIlder and Fury is happening. AJ has to stay active as well in fairness I personally just can't get that interested in these fights it's a shame we're waiting for AJ vs Fury (if it ever happens) cos of the Wilder fight that no one really wants to see anymore.

I think we could get AJ fighting again in winter before Fury is even considered in the summer (it sells out Wembley easily so they'd need the venue and the weather I'd guess) I reckon he might go America and get an easy win over there to hype his name up a bit more, maybe that Miller fight that never happened. What is AJ's name value in the US @Inter Yer Nan out of interest at the moment??

lsd

The Oracle
No surprise that Joshua taking on another joke fight .

A 38yo who can't punch is the standard AJ opponent .

This is the problem with boxing today having so many worthless belts.

If only there was one belt then we would see the fights we want

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

He's a mandatory challenger. If he wants to keep his belts and Fury is having to rematch Wilder then what else is he supposed to do?

Oggmonster

I'm not a big fan of him but what else is he meant to do?

Fury is fighting Wilder so that's them 2 out the equation, Ortiz doesn't deserve it, he's beat the likes of Povetkin, Parker and Ruiz. There's only really Whyte and Pulev and Pulev is mandatory for his belt.

I agree there's to many belts and the rankings are shite but it's not Joshua's fault.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Isn’t it a mandatory fight?

Looks like Wilder is facing Fury in June. So even if Pulev isn’t mandatory, who is Joshua meant to fight?

Verbalkint

I'
Pulev v AJ June 20th at Tottenham stadium
I'm no AJ fanboy but honestly can't see Pulev going anywhere good with this fight. Does he have the power to hurt Joshua? I'm not so sure. I've watched Pulev's fights but man i can't bring myself to rate him at all. Maybe i'm biased or don't know enough. Can someone enlighten me?

lsd

The Oracle
Isn’t it a mandatory fight?

Looks like Wilder is facing Fury in June. So even if Pulev isn’t mandatory, who is Joshua meant to fight?

It's mandatory because there are too many pointless belts .

I don't really blame Joshua for this but his camp just show a reluctance to put him in with any big hitters for example which does strike me as worrying .

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
However, Joseph Parker’s promoter David Higgins believes Wilder would be ‘selfish’ to insist on a rematch with Fury and believes the Bronze Bomber could be offered enough money to step aside, which would then pave the way for a fight between Fury and Joshua. ‘Everyone wants to see it [Fury fight Joshua], no one wants to see Fury – Wilder 3,’ Higgins told IFL TV. David Higgins says Deontay Wilder would be ‘selfish’ if he took a rematch with Tyson Fury (Getty) ‘If Wilder forces that he’s being selfish. ‘To Deontay Wilder, no one wants to see a third fight now between you and Fury, don’t be selfish, let the world see Fury vs Joshua. ‘They talk about paying you step-aside money, if the likes of Saudi Arabia chucked a few hundred million down, it could be your biggest ever payday for not even fighting, so there’s no excuses there. ‘Then perhaps Deontay could fight the winner. The smartest thing to do a three-way deal where Fury – Joshua happens next and then Wilder gets a shot back later. ‘That way he gets paid step-aside money and then he gets a third fight eventually.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/28/deon...tead-tyson-fury-rematch-12317611/?ito=cbshare

Oggmonster

I don't really blame Joshua for this but his camp just show a reluctance to put him in with any big hitters for example which does strike me as worrying .
The camp don't have a choice really either though? He's mandatory, they need a fighter for around then so it works.

AJ has been in with big hitters as well in fairness to him.

However, Joseph Parker’s promoter David Higgins believes Wilder would be ‘selfish’ to insist on a rematch with Fury and believes the Bronze Bomber could be offered enough money to step aside, which would then pave the way for a fight between Fury and Joshua. ‘Everyone wants to see it [Fury fight Joshua], no one wants to see Fury – Wilder 3,’ Higgins told IFL TV. David Higgins says Deontay Wilder would be ‘selfish’ if he took a rematch with Tyson Fury (Getty) ‘If Wilder forces that he’s being selfish. ‘To Deontay Wilder, no one wants to see a third fight now between you and Fury, don’t be selfish, let the world see Fury vs Joshua. ‘They talk about paying you step-aside money, if the likes of Saudi Arabia chucked a few hundred million down, it could be your biggest ever payday for not even fighting, so there’s no excuses there. ‘Then perhaps Deontay could fight the winner. The smartest thing to do a three-way deal where Fury – Joshua happens next and then Wilder gets a shot back later. ‘That way he gets paid step-aside money and then he gets a third fight eventually.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/28/deon...tead-tyson-fury-rematch-12317611/?ito=cbshare
Why should Wilder be unselfish though? I get people want the AJ vs. Fury fight more and don't care about Wilder vs. Fury III (myself included) but lets be fair he may be confident in his ability to win the rematch and want to prove people wrong.

There's no proof they would of "chucked a few hundred million down" either, maybe they would maybe they wouldn't but it's all speculation really. Seems he is judging Wilder on something that didn't actually happen there.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Yes but who should he fight that’s available?

Inter Yer Nan

It was inevitable after the 3rd fight between wIlder and Fury is happening. AJ has to stay active as well in fairness I personally just can't get that interested in these fights it's a shame we're waiting for AJ vs Fury (if it ever happens) cos of the Wilder fight that no one really wants to see anymore.

I think we could get AJ fighting again in winter before Fury is even considered in the summer (it sells out Wembley easily so they'd need the venue and the weather I'd guess) I reckon he might go America and get an easy win over there to hype his name up a bit more, maybe that Miller fight that never happened. What is AJ's name value in the US @Inter Yer Nan out of interest at the moment??
Joshua-Miller is a no-go. Miller is signed to Top Rank and has lost all his rankings so we may see Fury-Miller at some point but not Joshua-Miller. Joshua-Ruiz II was seen by a lot of people. DAZN got a lot of customers but maybe that had as much to do with it being a Mexican since the Mexican fan base is big especially here in California. Some media outlets mainly the Youtube one's that pushed Wilder as a God tried to make Joshua look terrible for a few years so there's a bit of that but for the most part he's respected/well received enough. I'd say Joshua is known but I think Fury is bigger than him since he's had two PPV's and people were far more impressed with him (the comeback and outclassing Wilder and surviving that knockdown and the domination last week plus his personality) and he seems to be seen on US airwaves more, like at WWE and his training camps are here. In general among casual fans the American audience needs you to fight here a lot to really care.

lsd

The Oracle
Yes but who should he fight that’s available?

Ortiz, Kownacki , Hunter ? all three would be better than Pulev and while AJ would be favoured to win they would at least have a better chance of beating him

Inter Yer Nan

I don't like Wilder but he's not being "selfish", he's got a contract and he's really embarrassed by last weeks fight so wants to redeem himself. I don't give him much of a chance but I don't begrudge him having a go.

I think Joshua will do two mandatory defenses this year anyway and if he wins them both I think we'll see Fury take a voluntary defense at the end of the year too and he'd still have a Top Rank/ESPN fight to fulfill since he signed a six-fight deal. He's three in now. I think Fury-Joshua is realistic for summer 2021 at Wembley. Anything earlier would be a surprise and a pleasant one.

Oggmonster

Joshua-Miller is a no-go. Miller is signed to Top Rank and has lost all his rankings so we may see Fury-Miller at some point but not Joshua-Miller. Joshua-Ruiz II was seen by a lot of people. DAZN got a lot of customers but maybe that had as much to do with it being a Mexican since the Mexican fan base is big especially here in California. Some media outlets mainly the Youtube one's that pushed Wilder as a God tried to make Joshua look terrible for a few years so there's a bit of that but for the most part he's respected/well received enough. I'd say Joshua is known but I think Fury is bigger than him since he's had two PPV's and people were far more impressed with him (the comeback and outclassing Wilder and surviving that knockdown and the domination last week plus his personality) and he seems to be seen on US airwaves more, like at WWE and his training camps are here. In general among casual fans the American audience needs you to fight here a lot to really care.
Ah fair play cheers for answering. I was over there a few years ago on holiday (he was fighting Povetkin when I was there) and whilst he was known it didn't seem huge interest in the fight to be honest.

Oggmonster

That's how I'd describe his stature here. Known but not of massive interest to many people.
Yeah it's pretty weird to think his popularity in the UK hasn't really extended anywhere else on such a big scale. I think Fury has probably closed the gap in popularity over here as well now. That's what makes me think we may wait a while for them to fight if they do cos they can milk both of their levels of popularity for a few fights yet.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

A 38yo who can't box is the standard AJ opponent .

No surprise that Fury taking on another joke fight .

A 34yo who can't box is the standard Fury opponent .

lsd

The Oracle
No surprise that Fury taking on another joke fight .

A 34yo who can't box is the standard Fury opponent .

One belt we might have seen Fury v Joshua ages ago and Wilder v Joshua

ivaldo

One belt we might have seen Fury v Joshua ages ago and Wilder v Joshua
Absolutely. How that translates to what you wrote before though I don't know. I'm fairly sure AJ has fought more top 10 boxers than anyone else.

lsd

The Oracle
Absolutely. How that translates to what you wrote before though I don't know. I'm fairly sure AJ has fought more top 10 boxers than anyone else.

Top ten means nothing now though with five belts going at least .

Pulev is ranked 1 but who has he beaten to get there ?

ivaldo

It means more than boxers ranked 11+.

He's mandatory, therefore Joshua HAS to fight him. It's not as if Joshua hasn't fought good boxers when given the opportunity. No matter how hard you try to make it seem like AJ is just fighting nomarks, it simply isn't the case.

Oggmonster

Even ignoring the top 10 rankings it's pretty hard to argue against Joshua having the best CV.

Whyte (albeit early in his career)
Wlad
Parker
Povetkin
Ruiz

is probably more impressive combined than either Wilder or Fury's CVs for example.

I don't dispute politics in boxing but AJ definitely has the most impressive record

lsd

The Oracle
It means more than boxers ranked 11+.

He's mandatory, therefore Joshua HAS to fight him. It's not as if Joshua hasn't fought good boxers when given the opportunity. No matter how hard you try to make it seem like AJ is just fighting nomarks, it simply isn't the case.

Until he beats Fury he isn't the world's best no matter how many belts he has .

That's the problem I have with boxing

Inter Yer Nan

Joshua has the deepest overall resume but Fury has the best two (well three since Wilder I was a win too really) best wins and achievements since he's owned every belt in addition to being lineal, unbeaten (with the three riskiest fights taken between the two) he's also quite clearly the better all around boxer of the two. An example would be, Danny Garcia has a deeper resume than Spence or even Crawford if we are going on the number of named opponents but he's probably behind Spence overall and 100% behind Crawford overall.

If Fury and Joshua keep winning and fight while they are both prime then the winner would almost certainly be considered the greatest heavyweight post Lennox Lewis and actually have a decent argument and base to work their way potentially into the top 10-12 all-time in the division. Hopefully it's not a Mayweather-Pacquaio situation where it takes forever, the fight is a dud and effects neither legacy just makes them rich.

Inter Yer Nan

Who had Wilder beaten to qualify as being a great victory for Fury exactly?
Ortiz was a good win. He was clearly a talented and dangerous opponent. Maybe it wasn't prime Ortiz and I do think Wilder's reputation was puffed up because of the KO% but it's hard to argue it's not a great victory. Just because Jeff Lacy didn't amount to much doesn't mean Calzaghe's win over him wasn't a good one.

Inter Yer Nan

Until he beats Fury he isn't the world's best no matter how many belts he has .

That's the problem I have with boxing
Multiple belts has always been an issue. One was perfect, two isn't ideal but it wasn't terrible when there was only 10 or 12 weight classes. Three was overkill especially with 17 weight classes but 15-20 years ago a fourth belt (WBO) was accepted and then it got silly and it got worse when the WBA started two titles per division and now you've got the WBC trying to implement two per division and the WBA trying to do as many as three. It's amazing that potentially 102 fighters at one time could claim to being "world champion". It's why I try to separate the term "champion" from "belt holder" and don't get impressed with modern stats like "this fighter beat x world champions compared to this older fighter who beat x", well, yeah but that older fighter was beating champions not trinket holders.

Classical Mechanic

Ortiz was a good win. He was clearly a talented and dangerous opponent. Maybe it wasn't prime Ortiz and I do think Wilder's reputation was puffed up because of the KO% but it's hard to argue it's not a great victory. Just because Jeff Lacy didn't amount to much doesn't mean Calzaghe's win over him wasn't a good one.
You can easily frame Ortiz as a myth. He has never beaten anyone of note. His best win is probably a 45 year old Tony Thompson, his record is no better than Pulev's all said and done.

That said I wouldn't seek to denigrate Fury's achievements in any serious way. I just think trying to discredit Joshua is petty and without foundation, especially when you consider what AJ has achieved in such a short career. There's no credible way in which you can accuse him of taking an easy way to the top.

Inter Yer Nan

You can easily frame Ortiz as a myth. He has never beaten anyone of note. His best win is probably a 45 year old Tony Thompson, his record is no better than Pulev's all said and done.

That said I wouldn't seek to denigrate Fury's achievements in any serious way. I just think trying to discredit Joshua is petty and without foundation, especially when you consider what AJ has achieved in such a short career. There's no credible way in which you can accuse him of taking an easy way to the top.
I think his destruction of Bryant Jennings was really, really good. Remember, Jennings gave Wladimir a lot of problems just a few months prior. He blew out Kayode too but was taken back for failed PED tests. Ortiz was avoided for a long time so it was hard for him to build a resume. He hasn't got much there though that's for sure.

Also true on Joshua. He's taken challenging fights. Whyte was a dangerous match of up and comers, Martin of course was a vacant title you can't turn it down, Wlad was a calculated but still very dangerous fight, Parker was a unification, Povetkin was almost as dangerous (and old) as Ortiz and it's not his fault Wilder turned down a good purse and then talked and about 18 months later turned down a $100m deal. I think Hearn rubs people the wrong way but Joshua has been willing to step up consistently.

Oggmonster

I think his destruction of Bryant Jennings was really, really good. Remember, Jennings gave Wladimir a lot of problems just a few months prior. He blew out Kayode too but was taken back for failed PED tests. Ortiz was avoided for a long time so it was hard for him to build a resume. He hasn't got much there though that's for sure.

Also true on Joshua. He's taken challenging fights. Whyte was a dangerous match of up and comers, Martin of course was a vacant title you can't turn it down, Wlad was a calculated but still very dangerous fight, Parker was a unification, Povetkin was almost as dangerous (and old) as Ortiz and it's not his fault Wilder turned down a good purse and then talked and about 18 months later turned down a $100m deal. I think Hearn rubs people the wrong way but Joshua has been willing to step up consistently.

I think it depends how much of Hearn you hear to be honest.

He can be pretty funny at times and obviously now he plays up to it all especially with No Context Hearn being massive but he loves the sound of his own voice and a few years ago he was always jumping at the chance to be interviewed or the centre of attention (he's calmed down in recent years.) In the build up to any matchroom fight he'd be on Sky constantly for a week and it got pretty dull, especially as he was usually talking bollocks and making stuff up.