The RedCafe Boxing Thread

RedDevilQuebecois

That uppercut was just about the perfect ending to a boxing match. I really feel blessed to be able to watch such a force of nature.

Fury is the GOAT hands down.

Dante

Average bang
It's all well and good Fury not wanting to quit. But has anyone asked Jesus if he's happy to carry on boxing with him?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
A lot. As a sport it’s in a more frustrating state than I can remember it (as I’ve said a fair few times in this thread). Top guys fight once every few years and when they do the events are fecking shite
That's heavy weight boxing, that's what heavy weight boxing has always been.

One punch and it's all over, it's just a case of picking the moment.

This is what I hate about boxing films, where 2 heavy weight boxers are punching the shit out of each other, that's not boxing. It only takes one proper shot and it's all over, it's always been like that.

Watch the lower weight classes if heavy weight boxing isn't for you, it's a lot more exciting. Nothing beats a heavy weight knock out, nothing.

BlueHaze

Decent fighter for the era but not the goat not even close..
Just an opinion, not saying I am right, everyone will tell you a different name if you ask them but for me his boxing abilites are out of this world.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I hope he doesn’t retire, but I do think that might be it.

He toys with AJ if they ever fight

Kazi

:lol: have we gone back in time?! Wilder still be rated is bizarre.
He may not “look” it given how many rounds he lost against Fury. But I think he sleeps everyone else in the division except perhaps Usyk who can probably avoid him for 12 rounds.

Jam

When was the last time someone held the unified heavyweight on two separate occasions more than two years apart? For me he has to attempt it. He owes it to himself.

Abraxas

90k in to watch a horrendous card of boxing followed by a total mismatch that was entirely predictable. The sport isn't really in a great place in terms of the quality of product we're getting on pay per views or in the arena.

If I was Fury I'd be tempted to have one more against the Usyk/Joshua winner. Either is another massive event, and I think it would be the full stop on his career. If he leaves without besting one of those they'll always be names hanging over his CV. It would entirely clear out everyone from his era which would be a brilliant achievement.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Whyte looks a bit daft now regarding the pre fight no shows, moaning about the pay scale and not getting a shot. When you get beat by the other two major British heavyweights convincingly it’s a bit meh.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Fury is insane, really want to see him against Usyk and AJ. Beat those two and surely has a claim to be the best ever?

LDUred

Decent fighter for the era but not the goat not even close..
I wouldn't go so far as to say Fury's the greatest ever but to say he's just 'decent' is being overly dismissive. He's clearly very, very good and since Sugar Hill Steward came on board he has gone up a level.

Fury's about 10 on the all time list for me, but no higher. Edging above Evander, Vitali and Wlad. Lewis, Frazier, Marciano are above him and then you have the likes of Ali, Tyson, Holmes in the top five.

If he were to beat Usyk that would put him well among the top 10 for me.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
To be honest Whyte just never even remotely got going, and he'll know it. I'd rather he went out gassed after going for it ridiculously and swinging for the houses instead of trying to out box Fury, which he never ever had any hope of doing.

Kazi

I wouldn't go so far as to say Fury's the greatest ever but to say he's just 'decent' is being overly dismissive. He's clearly very, very good and since Sugar Hill Steward came on board he has learned to use his size better.

Tyson's about 10 on the all time list for me, but no higher. Somewhere around Klitschkos and Evander, probably just edging above Evander and Vitali now, maybe neck and neck or above Wlad. Lewis, Frazier, Marciano are above him and then you have the likes of Ali, Tyson, Holmes in the top five.
Mike Tyson above Lewis?? :D

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Reckon Fury will be involved in the WWE PPV in the UK in September (against Drew Mcintyre), so who knows if he is done with boxing.

Deery

Dreary
Just an opinion, not saying I am right, everyone will tell you a different name if you ask them but for me his boxing abilites are out of this world.
Very impressive tonight as good as I’ve seen him, but just think fighters from other eras brought a lot more to the party..

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Fury just needs to beat the winner of Usyk vs AJ to cement himself as an all time great.

Abraxas

He's the best of his era, and therefore quite naturally will go down as one of the greats.

I don't think he's ever beaten a great fighter, though. That's why I think it's quite speculative when people say he'd beat anybody that's ever lived on the strength of his victories.

The smaller greats like Ali, almost certainly he would as there is no bridging that gap with skill and speed. But greats like Lewis, Holmes that are big, athletic box-punchers are a very different proposition to Robocop Wlad. Also, if you look at somebody like Foreman, even though he was considered rudimentary in his skills, his delivery of that power is FAR more effective than Deontay Wilder. Wilder very nearly had Tyson out, so that's no easy night.