The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I don’t get why GGG never went to the body given Canelo’s stamina issues. The bodywork of Canelo was probably the story of the fight, as opposed to GGGs jab which seems to have lost some of its impact.

Kazi

I don’t get why GGG never went to the body given Canelo’s stamina issues. The bodywork of Canelo was probably the story of the fight, as opposed to GGGs jab which seems to have lost some of its impact.
Because he’d leave his chin open to Canelo’s counters

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
They talk about Canelo scoring more power punches but they didn't phase Golovkin. Didn't move him. GGG had him rocked maybe 3, certainly 2 times as well as being the busier fighter and landing more shots overall.

A great fight between 2 great fighters but again, GGG robbed.

ThaReaper01

Teddy Atlas melting down right now...thinks GGG won 117-112
Which is dogshit scoring. He has a bad bias against Canelo. I had Canelo winning 7-5. 4-2 through the first half when he was calling all the shots and 3 a piece when GGG manned up and realized he was probably behind. Canelo obviously landed the harder shots consistently and out landed GGG 45-6(!) to the body, not to mention his ring domination and aggression.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Includes jabs and power punches.

Can't really see any way Canelo won this, especially after looking at the punch stats

haram

He held the middle of the ring but didnt come close to dominating the rounds. They wanted the younger man to win and there you have it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Fantastic fight.. brawl mixed with great technical fighting and ringcraft but awful decision. Wanted Canelo to win and thought he’d win on points but he didn’t deserve it - fought brilliantly in patches but Golovkin weathered the early storm and jabbed his way into the ascendancy and definitely dominated more rounds IMO. Had it as 7-5 GGG (first two rounds - Canelo followed by four straight GGG, then Canelo two and then pretty much all GGG until the 11th. Would love to see a rematch.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Because he’d leave his chin open to Canelo’s counters
Might have played a small role but I don’t think so. Problem imo wasn’t even lead jabs to the body which are easily countered, more when Canelo was in his guard the left hook was open if GGG pivoted to the side but he tended to just throw hooks to head which rarely landed flush. Golovkin had the same problem in the first fight going to the body and I thought he’d have changed that in the rematch. Canelos guard was effective and I think GGG either needed better footwork to create better angles or to mix it up with some bodywork.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The absurdity is that if they fight again and GGG wins then there could be a 4th to settle it once and for all.

El General 1994

Yeeeeesh. I had it 117-114 to GGG. Bring on part 3 during the next Cinco de Mayo weekend on 4/5 May 2019. My boy @Inter Yer Nan predicted that GGG needed a KO in a Golden boy world. But respect to Saul who was fantastic himself.

Yes @Pat_Mustard welcome to the Jamie Munguia hype train. Amazing power. But against a Charlo he will have trouble as he is easy to hit. He’d lose via a UD. He will learn as he is only 21!

Inter Yer Nan

Exactly how I said. GGG would clearly win 7 or 8 rounds and lose a Golden Girl decision. I had it 116-112.

I watched with all Mexicans and only one had Canelo winning and he’s biased he had Canelo winning every round. It sucks when you know there’s corruption coming but that’s Boxing. My favorite sport but a sport that I hate at the same time.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Gotta feel for Genady. 2nd fight in a row he should've been awarded with the win and has nothing to show for it.

Relfy

Good fight and I had it fairly even but with GGG a round up. No great surprise that Canelo got the decision though....

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Personally, not the biggest fan of a rematch. This is already past his peak Golovkin. He will be 37 next time around and knowing he absolutely has to dominate Canelo to get the victory pulls away that excitement factor from the match.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
To be fair, that was an incredibly hard fight to score. Although I think GGG did enough to win it, I don't think we can call a Canelo win "robbery."

Seemed to me that GGG thought he would be able to break down an unjuiced Canelo. If he had gone to the body a little more early in the fight he would've then Canelos stamina issues would've come through.

Red_Aaron

I've managed to avoid the result so far
Could any kindly gentleman or lady perhaps pm me a link for a spoiler free watch of the fight?
I'd be eternally grateful

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Only 5 people had Canelo winning. De La Hoya, the three judges, @Kazi and Canelo himself.

Problem is, a rematch yet again works in the favour of Canelo. GGG is getting older with each of these matches.
Canelo ducked him for a few years as it is, and Golovkin would have to fight with the mindset that he has to knock him out so the judges can't twist it (Unless the ref DQs him for a low blow after a few head shots)

Mexican getting the decision on mexican day...was pretty obvious :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s his own fault. He took the rematch knowing that anything other than a KO was really not winning him this fight. If an 8-4 doesn’t do it in the first place you can be damn sure a closer fight won’t.

Inter Yer Nan

Personally, not the biggest fan of a rematch. This is already past his peak Golovkin. He will be 37 next time around and knowing he absolutely has to dominate Canelo to get the victory pulls away that excitement factor from the match.
That’s why this fight barely got my interest. I knew GGG would win and get robbed and that’s exactly what happened. I honestly think if he won 12-0 he’d have lost because two cards minimum are paid for. Trust me I go to A LOT of Golden Boy cards the scores are always funky and then factor in when their main guy whos over 100% of their revenue fights what’s going to happen?

As an unproven young kid he got a 6-6 card against Mayweather in a 0-12 fight. MAYWEATHER!