The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Inter Yer Nan

It’s his own fault. He took the rematch knowing that anything other than a KO was really not winning him this fight. If an 8-4 doesn’t do it in the first place you can be damn sure a closer fight won’t.
I think he won both 8-4 but to end up 0-1-1 is extremely fishy.

Europeans regularly get fecked over here with judges.

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Thought i'd wake up to some BS like this again. Will watch the replay later.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
That’s why this fight barely got my interest. I knew GGG would win and get robbed and that’s exactly what happened. I honestly think if he won 12-0 he’d have lost because two cards minimum are paid for. Trust me I go to A LOT of Golden Boy cards the scores are always funky and then factor in when their main guy whos over 100% of their revenue fights what’s going to happen?

As an unproven young kid he got a 6-6 card against Mayweather in a 0-12 fight. MAYWEATHER!
I remember Mayweather fight but totally forgot about that card. Yeah, that's absolutely laughable considering what happened. Against Cotto, he did win the match, but definitely not by the scores which were on the cards.

Tbf to Canelo, he did very good and won some rounds making it close, but seeing both matches there is no way you can say they are on equal terms. Or that they will be in an already rumored third fight. And that is what is pretty frustrating taking away all the excitement.

Last edited:

Zen

The fight was good - but the fact you could see it swinging to Canelo via judges because any close fight would made it not enjoyable. 6 judges....and yet everyone of them scored more in favour of Canelo, even if they are acceptable scorecards, that alone is dodgy. GGG scored no more than 115 throughout all 6 in the two fights.....that is mental. No neutrality at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled a Hagler from this. Proved he could box and adjust tonight.

Canelo's been getting nice scoring for ages.....who remembers when Floyd DIDN'T school him according to the judges.

Theres no wonder people flock to Floyd-Manny rematches instead.

Red_Aaron

Good looking out @Jim Beam
Just watched it fresh and I'm stunned by the outcome. I wasn't overly shocked by fight 1 as I felt the draw was about right despite that one particular judge.
Can't believe this one though, GGG won it comfortably for me. The rounds were close but GGG edged the vast majority and I had 8-4 by the end.
Its such a shame all this, it was a great contest between 2 elite fighters but all the shine is taken away with these decisions

Gonna read the thread now to get the consensus but I assume there's some outrage in here!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Didn’t watch the first fight, but managed to watch this unspoilt this morning. I had it 114-114. I was closer to Canelo 115-113 than vice versa. Not sure how much appetite these guys will have to do it again. These are punishing fights compared to the alternatives. Canelo will draw anyway and Golovkin might feel that he’ll struggle to ever win against the home scoring advantage.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Anyone know where I can watch the fight again in HD? I’m done with boxing btw.

Jim Beam

Not sure how much appetite these guys will have to do it again. These are punishing fights compared to the alternatives. Canelo will draw anyway and Golovkin might feel that he’ll struggle to ever win against the home scoring advantage.
If there are enough interest and money to be made the fight will happen. As always.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Great fight, GGG won that fight by at least 2 rounds for me.

Boxing judges should be made to justify why they scored the way they did.

RedFish

Didn’t watch the first fight, but managed to watch this unspoilt this morning. I had it 114-114. I was closer to Canelo 115-113 than vice versa. Not sure how much appetite these guys will have to do it again. These are punishing fights compared to the alternatives. Canelo will draw anyway and Golovkin might feel that he’ll struggle to ever win against the home scoring advantage.
Money talks and I expect a third to happen. Canelo Is a phenomenal fighter also, and is getting better and better. GGG is just one of those fighters who will be competitive with anyone in his weight class in any era. No surprise it was close. It was far closer than the first fight.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If there are enough interest and money to be made the fight will happen. As always.
Maybe, but there’s plenty of cases where rematches haven’t happened and guys have drifted apart to pursue easier fights. If Canelo wants it, it will probably happen, but he’s going to make great PPV money either way in far less punishing fights.

Zen

Like I said previously - it's a robbery more in the sense that it's scored smartly not to look like so. It's clearly dodgy that everyone is judging in favour of Canelo in two fights that are considered to everyone else to be far more in slight favour to Canelo. Obviously it's very much outdated now as belts are more and more meaningless, but you have to take the belts from the champs, and in no way across two fights did Canelo do that.

But then again, neither did Leonard 30 years - but that fight was even closer than this.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
a few rounds could have went either way, all the same I thought Golovkin had it by 2.
Better fight this time from Canelo , he held the centre of the ring pretty much all the way.
Chins like granite, the pair of them.

Zen

Maybe, but there’s plenty of cases where rematches haven’t happened and guys have drifted apart to pursue easier fights. If Canelo wants it, it will probably happen, but he’s going to make great PPV money either way in far less punishing fights.
Hmm, doubt that. I was thinking at some point in the fight what's next myself? Clearly GGG would of been and still possible is to chase Andre Ward - similar to Hopkins after he lost his middleweight crown going up. Though that's hardly a megafight, but would of been Andre Wards biggest payday by some massive massive margin.
What are the money fights though? Not much out there, a third fight probably dips massively too.

Kazi

Only 5 people had Canelo winning. De La Hoya, the three judges, @Kazi and Canelo himself.

Problem is, a rematch yet again works in the favour of Canelo. GGG is getting older with each of these matches.
Canelo ducked him for a few years as it is, and Golovkin would have to fight with the mindset that he has to knock him out so the judges can't twist it (Unless the ref DQs him for a low blow after a few head shots)

Mexican getting the decision on mexican day...was pretty obvious :lol:
I had it a draw lol

Andersons Dietician

Watching it going in to the 7th I had them tied but 7,8 and 9 could go either way as Alvarez started them better but Golovkin finished them. 10,11 Golovkin and 12th Alvarez so for me it’s that 7,8,9 I’m not sure about.

I think most of the quality stuff came from Alvarez and quantity from Golovkin but what a fight, punishing fight as well, both can take a punch and really they can’t have too many more fights like that although i’d happily watch it again.

RedFish

Abel Sanchez pretty much saying it was a fair result. 2 judges giving it Canelo, 1 a draw, all three respected. It wasn't fixed, it wasn't a robbery guys and girls, it was a incredibly high quality, close fight.

Kazi

Abel Sanchez pretty much saying it was a fair result. 2 judges giving it Canelo, 1 a draw, all three respected. It wasn't fixed, it wasn't a robbery guys and girls, it was a incredibly high quality, close fight.
Don’t show this to Golovkin fans lol

Jim Beam

Canelo and his team are pretty calculated in their moves, so I think you would be right if any of the following is true:
- Golovkin is younger and in his prime
- Canelo can make a similar money in a different fight

Neither of that is the case and Canelo will fancy his chances against a year older Golovkin considering the money on the table and the fact that any close fight will go in his favour. Also, despite Golovkin winning both of these matches imo (tightly, but still winning), he didn't really look close to knocking Canelo out and that will be an encouragement for him.
They are likely to go into the fight 3.

Zen

Once again, people are getting too wound up on the "robbery" stuff.....which isn't necessarily where the upset is coming from. It's from the fact that almost everywhere, the first fight people leant towards Golovkin...and with a few rounds in a lot of cases, yet it was scored a draw, and in the second fight, again, most winning scorecards leant towards Golovkin with a bigger percentage of draws - and some Canelo winners. Yet despite that - all 6 of the scorecards favoured Canelo somehow. No neutralism in Vegas when DLH is involved, ever, they are "fair" scorecards - but fair from guys who will have a (un)conscious bias towards Canelo.

Simply put, theres no way Canelo should be walking away from these fights with 3 cards in his favour. But then again, neither Oscar or Canelo should have had any cards in their favour against Floyd - yet both only lost by MD. Vegas loves DLH, boxer and promoter.

Zen

He told Golovkin he was losing the fight and told him he needed the KO.
People have said both corners said that....and you'd think so watching that twelfth at times. But from the split clips, neither seemed to say it, or at least aggressively push it. One likely thought they were winning a close fight, one also knew they'd probably get the benefit of home judging in a close fight.

Kazi

Once again, people are getting too wound up on the "robbery" stuff.....which isn't necessarily where the upset is coming from. It's from the fact that almost everywhere, the first fight people leant towards Golovkin...and with a few rounds in a lot of cases, yet it was scored a draw, and in the second fight, again, most winning scorecards leant towards Golovkin with a bigger percentage of draws - and some Canelo winners. Yet despite that - all 6 of the scorecards favoured Canelo somehow. No neutralism in Vegas when DLH is involved, ever, they are "fair" scorecards - but fair from guys who will have a (un)conscious bias towards Canelo.

Simply put, theres no way Canelo should be walking away from these fights with 3 cards in his favour. But then again, neither Oscar or Canelo should have had any cards in their favour against Floyd - yet both only lost by MD. Vegas loves DLH, boxer and promoter.
One thing I will say that favours Canelo in regards to this fight is Dave Moretti. He scored the first fight 115-113 for Golovkin. He scored this fight 115-113 for Canelo.

Look, it was a close fight, as was the first (both draws for me). But taking Byrd’s scorecard out of the equation (Oscar probably took her out for a steak dinner the night before), the other 5 scorecards were all fair IMO.

RedFish

One thing I will say that favours Canelo in regards to this fight is Dave Moretti. He scored the first fight 115-113 for Golovkin. He scored this fight 115-113 for Canelo.

Look, it was a close fight. But taking Byrd’s scorecard out of the equation (Oscar probably took her out for a bondage session the night before), the other 4 scorecards were all fair IMO.
Fixed. First fight should have been Golovkin's. It's one all in my mind but sadly not on boxrec.

Kazi

Looking at the actual fight itself, I think Golovkin and Abel Sanchez gained a lot of respect for Canelo. Stood right in front of the p4p biggest puncher in boxing for all 12 rounds. Was hurt in the 10th, but composed himself to finish well in the 12th.

starman

GGG for me by at least 2

Canelo had the flashier shots which may have what swung rounds in his favour (bit like Hagler-Leonard) but GGG was steady throughout. This would have been more acceptable as a draw then the first though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I think they are deliberately glossing over the controversial result to not appear bitter. The way Golovkin left the ring without giving the customary interview suggests he wasn’t pleased with the judging.

RedFish

I think they are deliberately glossing over the controversial result to not appear bitter. The way Golovkin left the ring without giving the customary interview suggests he wasn’t pleased with the judging.
Nah. Sanchez wasn't glossing over anything. GGG though was devastated. He had a slight edge IMO but slight edges don't guarantee you a win on the scorecards evidently.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nah. Sanchez wasn't glossing over anything. GGG though was devastated. He had a slight edge IMO but slight edges don't guarantee you a win on the scorecards evidently.
It’s obviously doubly devastating when you think you’ve won two consecutive fights and not been awarded either because of the judging. No one thinks Canelo won round 5 and yet he was inexplicably awarded the round.

RedFish

It’s obviously doubly devastating when you think you’ve won two consecutive fights and not been awarded either because of the judging. No one thinks Canelo won round 5 and yet he was inexplicably awarded the round.
Agreed. But that's the thing scoring a fight is more difficult than it looks. There were more than a few rounds that could have gone either way too. Canelo looked good in there, his variation, his pressure and had the cleaner power shots, though GGG had the volume overall. I was desperate for GGG to win, but watching this am, I've no complaints.

ThaReaper01

GGG for me by at least 2

Canelo had the flashier shots which may have what swung rounds in his favour (bit like Hagler-Leonard) but GGG was steady throughout. This would have been more acceptable as a draw then the first though.
GGG threw an ineffective jab the entire fight then came out swinging towards the end because he knew he was behind. Nothing to do with flash from Canelo. The jab is meant to keep the distance where you want it and it didn’t. Canelo still got inside repeatedly and that’s why he landed 30 more power shots and 40 more body shots. That, coupled with his overall ring generalship won the fight.

That isn’t to say that GGG didn’t have effective rounds where he caught Canelo coming in because he obviously did but more stock needs to be put into whose shots are doing more damage and Canelo’s clearly were because GGG was visibly feeling the body work and was marked up for worse than Canelo.

The witch hunt against Canelo is honestly ridiculous. He won this fight by being the better fighter. Full stop.

starman

GGG threw an ineffective jab the entire fight then came out swinging towards the end because he knew he was behind. Nothing to do with flash from Canelo. The jab is meant to keep the distance where you want it and it didn’t. Canelo still got inside repeatedly and that’s why he landed 30 more power shots and 40 more body shots. That, coupled with his overall ring generalship won the fight.

That isn’t to say that GGG didn’t have effective rounds where he caught Canelo coming in because he obviously did but more stock needs to be put into whose shots are doing more damage and Canelo’s clearly were because GGG was visibly feeling the body work and was marked up for worse than Canelo.

The witch hunt against Canelo is honestly ridiculous. He won this fight by being the better fighter. Full stop.
Great.. thats YOUR opinion (not a fact), mine is different, along with majority of ringside press.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I don't know anyone who thought he was the better fighter. Everyone thought the fight was very close.