The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Bojan11

Knocked down, I don't believe he's ever been KO'd.
Yep that’s what I meant. So it shows what a good chin he has. Fury would have used the same tactics.

Wilder vs Ruiz would be more interesting.

Fully Fledged

Fury and Wilder are fighting in Feb/March so he has to face an opponent around same. So he can't face either of those so Ortiz or Whyte are next options. AJ vs Fury/Wilder would be August/Sept maybe.
AJ v Fury is the fight that I want to see, I might even pay for that, Manchester v London I'd always want the Manc to win though especially because he's a red. I also like his story of coming back form depression and drug addiction.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I’m willing to bet anyone saying this was boring or that AJ was a coward has never actually boxed

MalcolmTucker

Impressive adjustments for only 6 months - didn't realise AJ had a backfoot game on him.

Ruiz looked so poor - if he fights Fury i'd put my house on a points victory. His defence is leaky so he'd only have a puncher's chance against Wilder.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fury and Wilder are fighting in Feb/March so he has to face an opponent around same. So he can't face either of those so Ortiz or Whyte are next options. AJ vs Fury/Wilder would be August/Sept maybe.
Ortiz is a better boxer than Ruiz, at least in terms of volume and variety, so it may be an interesting fight if that's what they want to do.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
AJ v Fury is the fight that I want to see, I might even pay for that, Manchester v London I'd always want the Manc to win though especially because he's a red. I also like his story of coming back form depression and drug addiction.
I think they both support United actually. I’m sure I read that somewhere.

Rooney1987

Ortiz is a better boxer than Ruiz, at least in terms of volume and variety, so it may be an interesting fight if that's what they want to do.
I'd like to see Whyte/AJ again. Both have improved massively since the first time and I think Whyte deserves a title shot. Dillian did rock AJ in first fight as well it'd be a tough one but isn't many other options.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Was expecting more of a Lewis v Rahman 2 type reaction from AJ tonight. Thoroughly convincing the world that the first fight was a fluke. Instead we got a masterclass in safety and avoidance.
Yes. That’s also how I saw it. Eliminate any chance of a proper fight, which is kinda the point of boxing and such sports! AJs sole motivation was to avoid getting KO’d. Cowardly in my book.

And the fact will always remain: AJ got KO’d by Luiz but couldn’t return the honour.

Judas

Open to offers
Yes. That’s also how I saw it. Eliminate any chance of a proper fight, which is kinda the point of boxing and such sports! AJs sole motivation was to avoid getting KO’d. Cowardly in my book.

And the fact will always remain: AJ got KO’d by Luiz but couldn’t return the honour.
:lol: should have just walked into punches really shouldn't he? That would have shown the world!

AJ boxed smart, people might not like it, but its just as justified way to win as a KO.

Fully Fledged

Ruiz is going to have to work his way up to meet Wilder.
Wilder would be stupid to fight him. Any top fighter would be because he's a hard bastard with a lightning in his hands if you let him get in range.

You are never going to look good fighting him if you want to win so why bother?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

He outboxed him. Comprehensively. I’m far more impressed that AJ can Fight that type of fight.....I know he can slug but tonight called for something different.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He outboxed him. Comprehensively. I’m far more impressed that AJ can Fight that type of fight.....I know he can slug but tonight called for something different.
AJ has already proven he can knock Ruiz down, so the expectation is he was going to actually knock him out this time to prove the first flight was a fluke....like Lennox Lewis did after he got KO'd by Hassem Rahman....

Fight 1:

Six Months later...

This is the sort of reaction I expect to see out of a world class heavyweight, which AJ clearly is, but I wish he would show it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Lewis was in a different class from any of the current HW for one thing. For another, his loss to rahman was down to overconfidence and getting caught with the perfect punch, same as AJ vs Ruiz, but with the big difference that Rahman had nothing that could trouble Lennox, while Ruiz clearly has the tools to trouble AJ. I would say Ruiz is a better fighter than Rahman in fact

And AJ scored a flash KD in the first fight, Ruiz wasn't really hurt

redshaw

Will be interesting if they have a rematch. Ruiz extra weight may have cost him some of the mobility needed to keep tabs on AJ but AJ was moving and jabbing more anyway.

Also on the commentary they said it was a large boxing ring of 22 feet, don't know the size of the Square Garden one on the night but it did look big tonight with two large heavyweights, gives AJ even more room if true.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

It's boxing, not fighting. AJ fought smart and thoroughly outboxed his opponent. People criticizing any of these guys for being "cowardly" from the sidelines is hilarious.

lsd

The Oracle
Poor fight glad i didn't pay for it . Ruiz was a disgrace as expected he has obviously done nothing but eat and celebrate since he won the first fight ala Buster douglas after he beat Tyson .

AJ did what he had to win which was very little to be honest just pile up the points using his reach and not get caught .

I read somewhere Fury and Wilder have nothing to worry about after watching this and would have to agree . Fury may not be holding a belt but right now he is the best in the world

Dante

Average bang
Ruiz has never been knocked out. Joshua already tried to do it once at his heaviest ever weight and failed. If he'd tried again, it would have been the height of stupidity.

This was like a boss-fight in a video game. Sometimes you just have to switch up your tactics against an enemy with a particular superpower. The result is not always going to be pretty.

Ruiz won the first fight on a puncher's chance. He could have done the same thing today if AJ had given him a window. He didn't. That's what you have to do in the heavyweight division sometimes.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Super disappointed by the lack of Homer Simpson/Drederick Tatum meems tonight. Is 2019 really so wild that we’ve all just accepted that heavyweight boxing now is watching a super athlete beat a fat lad on points?

Literally spent the whole evening marvelling at the lengths everyone around me was going to to act like this wasn’t low key ridiculous.

Irrational.

Ruiz got paid and that was enough for him.

Fat and rich. Good for him.
Yep, he earnt £10 million from the fight alone last night. He's set for life. He doesn't have the professionalism or discipline to keep any championship belts. Having said that, he'll probably be seen as a gatekeeper in the HW division and get a few more decent fights. Would love to see him against someone like Whyte or Wilder.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Poor fight glad i didn't pay for it . Ruiz was a disgrace as expected he has obviously done nothing but eat and celebrate since he won the first fight ala Buster douglas after he beat Tyson .

AJ did what he had to win which was very little to be honest just pile up the points using his reach and not get caught .

I read somewhere Fury and Wilder have nothing to worry about after watching this and would have to agree . Fury may not be holding a belt but right now he is the best in the world
How can you agree with it if you didn't even watch it? :lol:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
:lol:

Wilder has a garbage resume. He’s got one decent name on his record and he was bailed out by the judges in that fight. Not sure where you’re getting the idea that he only fights top guys?
The irony being Ruiz Jr now has more quality names on his resume than Wilder having fought AJ twice and Parker previously.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He needs to be more disciplined in his training, his conditioning was embarrassing tonight.
Yeah. More than a stone heavier I heard.

He can give and take a shot and he's durable.
Imagine what a good strength and conditioning coach could do for his career.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Ruiz let himself down nobody else. Straight after the fight "I put on too much weight" goes to show he didn't take it seriously and he will probably have no motivation to ever get close to the belts again with his attitude. Can't say I blame him though he is now set for life fair play to him