The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I really don't want to see Golovkin stopped :(

About as expected really. Makes it all the more remarkable how long Hopkins stayed around.

Think I'm gonna go back and rewatch the first two fights to make up for tonight.

Last edited:

Kazi

Yeah wasn’t great, GGG has slowed down a lot

But a nice pay day for him, he should retire

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Anybody see Rashford in the crowd on the channel 5 card last night? Front row with Brandon Williams, hood up, sunglasses on and off, blinged out with jewellery...I really can't stand him. What was funny was the camera man and commentary kept mentioning him but seemed to have no idea who Williams was.

Abraxas

The only surprising thing was that Golovkin didn't get stopped and that he did better at the back end. The man is 40 years old, that is beyond ancient for a middleweight with a long and distinguished amateur and professional career. Great fighter in his prime, just a real shame he had nobody great to fight until he took on Alvarez where he didn't really get the rub of the green.

I actually thought Alvarez looked a bit off it too. Sharper, clearly he's much nearer his prime, but I feel like all the jumping around in weight, the training stress from having started so early as a teenager, and simply age is even catching up with him now. It wasn't a great performance against an old man that was probably there to be dominated. Does he want any part of somebody like Benavidez at this stage? Hard to say.

SambaBoy

Dominant performance from Stevenson last night against a tough opponent. Be good to see him now move up weight and take on Haney/Tank/Loma.

The Haney fight would be pretty boring to watch but very technical, same with Lomachenko. A Tank fight would be interesting, as Tank would go for the KO whilst Stevenson is a much better counter punch.

Kazi

The only surprising thing was that Golovkin didn't get stopped and that he did better at the back end. The man is 40 years old, that is beyond ancient for a middleweight with a long and distinguished amateur and professional career. Great fighter in his prime, just a real shame he had nobody great to fight until he took on Alvarez where he didn't really get the rub of the green.

I actually thought Alvarez looked a bit off it too. Sharper, clearly he's much nearer his prime, but I feel like all the jumping around in weight, the training stress from having started so early as a teenager, and simply age is even catching up with him now. It wasn't a great performance against an old man that was probably there to be dominated. Does he want any part of somebody like Benavidez at this stage? Hard to say.
I hope Canelo doesn’t go on too much further either tbh, there’s really not that much left for him to prove.

Having said that, I think a break would do him well and I still think he’d be comfortable enough vs Benavidez. Charlo would probably be a tougher fight.

Deery

Dreary
Anyone watching the Joe Joyce card?

might actually stay awake for this one.

Deery

Dreary
Not bothering with the card but I'm tuning in for the main event. Interesting fight, hard to call.
I’m a Joe Joyce fan so I think a straight forward win for him.

Serrano fighting now but taking more punishment that the commentators are giving her credit for.

Abraxas

I’m a Joe Joyce fan so I think a straight forward win for him.

Serrano fighting now but taking more punishment that the commentators are giving her credit for.
I thought it was interesting that Parker looked as heavy as I've seen him on the scales. For me that's a bit strange as I would have thought with Joyce he'd want to try and have some movement, stamina, speed to outbox him. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Deery

Dreary
I remember David Allen said he sparred Joe Joyce one time, left the gym, walked about town for 20mins, ended up at a KFC didn’t know where he was

Abraxas

3-2 Joyce. Parker landing the odd good shot but body language wise, I think Joyce has the fight he wants. He's putting on the pressure and Parker looks a bit uncomfortable

Abraxas

4-2 for Joyce, good round for him.

Kind of reminds me of Kelly Pavlik. Perhaps a random comparison, but the way Joyce arm punches and doesn't look great but the physical presence he has and heavy handedness is very similar.

Deery

Dreary
4-2 for Joyce, good round for him.

Kind of reminds me of Kelly Pavlik. Perhaps a random comparison, but the way Joyce arm punches and doesn't look great but the physical presence he has and heavy handedness is very similar.
If Kelly wasn’t such an alco he’d have been ATG

Abraxas

Joyce looking way too big and strong and relentless at the moment. I've got him 5-2 now.

Abraxas

If Kelly wasn’t such an alco he’d have been ATG
Really good fighter. His fight with Edison Miranda was brilliant. Of course he didn't have have the class against old man Hopkins but generally speaking he was a proper handful. Joyce reminds me of him in how imposing and aesthetically unpleasing he is, but you cannot argue against the fact he imposes himself on opponents.

Abraxas

Parker looking quite beat up now. 6-2 Joyce.

This is probably better than what AJ did against Parker.

Abraxas

Parker put quite an effort into that round. Not sure if it was enough and it may make it harder to survive the distance. Not entirely sure how to score that one but Joyce certainly 3 or 4 ahead.

Abraxas

Parker just doesn't have it in him to stop Joyce's forward pressure, although he does do some eye catching work. Parker probably needs something's dramatic.

Deery

Dreary
Parker just doesn't have it in him to stop Joyce's forward pressure, although he does do some eye catching work. Parker probably needs something's dramatic.
Man he was fecked about 4 rounds ago, probably ended his career tonight

Abraxas

Wow. That's genuinely impressive from Joyce. What can you say, he's outperformed AJ, he's destroyed a top level heavy with a good chin. Deserves his shot.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Wow. That's genuinely impressive from Joyce. What can you say, he's outperformed AJ, he's destroyed a top level heavy with a good chin. Deserves his shot.
It was extremely impressive. Big, relentless pressure, power…..and a fecking stone head. Tough combination

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Joe Joyce; seemingly like a final level boss on a game. Relentless and immune to pain.

Abraxas

It was extremely impressive. Big, relentless pressure, power…..and a fecking stone head. Tough combination
Definitely. Theres not many that would want to face that. Would Fury be a big favourite? Definitely because he has the chin, speed and boxing ability to just outclass Joe slightly. But the rest should be pretty worried.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think Joyce lacks the handspeed to trouble the real top level guys, but he's definitely a 'juggernaut'. Deceptive power, good workrate and just keeps pressuring.

You can tell Parker really didn't enjoy that one. Amazed he lasted that long.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Definitely. Theres not many that would want to face that. Would Fury be a big favourite? Definitely because he has the chin, speed and boxing ability to just outclass Joe slightly. But the rest should be pretty worried.
Fury would be a 3:1 favourite I reckon. But I doubt he’d want to fight Joyce over some of the other options he has. Which belt is Joyce mandatory for now? If it’s one of Usyk’s I’ve genuinely no idea how that fight would go down. Usyk outpointing him maybe