The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Glorio

They did a very good job making people believe Wallin is a good fighter. It wasn’t long ago everybody was calling him a nobody and a bum when he fought Fury :lol:
Prior to fighting Fury, yes. Not sure anyone thought that after the fight.

the_cliff

Yeah, the ‘real’ Wilder turns every contest into a battle of heart, chin and power and backs himself every time with every bomb he throws and eventually catches his opponent that one time that puts them to sleep, but he looks like he’s lost his edge and appetite for that and is going through the motions now until he hangs them up. This isn’t the Wilder that most had no choice but to fear. He’s 38 now and looked every bit of it last night.
Agreed, his post fight interview was very telling. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires or takes 1 last big money fight (Ngannou ?)

LDUred

Remember this guy:

Zhang is too much risk for little reward and is a dangerous opponent. I don't know if AJ gets smoked by Zhang, but there are many constants in Joshua's career and fighting style that make that a fight to avoid unless necessary than there are that say he could take the guy to the cleaners and continue along whatever path he's establishing for himself.

Your points one by one:

- Joshua does not move his head well. He might not be Joyce levels of stiff and stupid (to block punches with his face), but he struggles a lot with getting his head off centre line, which is really bad against fighters who are game and throw good hooks in particular, especially with how Zhang mixes in his left straight either in combinations to initialise or to finish - Joshua is primed to get hit by something in those barrages with his lack of natural movement.

- Zhang has more stamina than Joshua. I think you're suggesting Joshua would wear him down with shots and tire him out that way as opposed to Joshua simply having the bigger tank? Zhang is no slouch in exchanges; Joshua does not do well with getting hit - exchanges are much worse for Joshua than Zhang.

- You've mentioned Joshua's power, but not Zhang's. Zhang hits hard, he hits in bunches and he is more than game to stay in the pocket and bang. In an all out war of that kind, I'd back Zhang because Joshua's punch resistance isn't good (to say the least) and nor is his movement. Pot shotting heavy, cautiously and long is an obvious route to victory for Joshua, not trying to mix it up with a better brawler with a superior tank and punch resistance.

- Zhang is extremely game, so much so, he's exactly the kind of fighter all of those at the top of the division should actively avoid if they are being risk averse. He would go to war with anyone in the division and I don't think he comes up short in a fire fight against anyone - the avenue to beating him is staying safe and outboxing him, which is what would be expected of Fury and Usyk. Joshua? Not so much, as he has much worse head movement, concentration and manoeuvrability than those two.

I'm not saying Zhang beats Joshua, but I would say it's a fight Joshua should avoid because it is wrought with danger for him and he gives Zhang more opportunities to capitalise than Usyk or Fury would. Joshua has nothing to prove vs the likes of Zhang and is well beyond the stage of having to show what he's about. His redemption arc is about looking like his old self before the fella at the top of this post destroyed his confidence, and then pursuing a few mega fights to maximise his earnings and legacy before calling it a day. Zhang can't really do anything to interfere with that path or to interject as there's so few at the top of food chain to chase, and between those top 3, there's tie ups throughout the next 18 months with rematch clauses and whatnot. Joshua probably needs another statement victory like tonight's before he can really start to call out Fury (assuming he wins vs Usyk), which most likely does not involve a risky entanglement with a fighter like Zhang. I'd bet the Saudi's would pay for N'Gannou vs Joshua well before they'd entertain Zhang, too.
I accept that Zhang is a credible and dangerous opponent not to be just casually dismissed, but I don't see the argument of Joshua running from Zhang. There is just nothing on the line in that fight - no belts, no big money, no prestige.

Had Zhang got a decision vs Hrgovic I still think Hearn would be talking up a fight for the IBF belt between AJ and Zhang.

The three time thing is big deal for Joshua and as you mentioned, it's part of his arc having lost to Usyk. Whether he faces Hrgovic or Zhang, it's a risky fight.

It's understandable that AJ lost his way between the Usyk and Franklin fights but the KO against Helenius flicked a switch in him and that continued into the Wallin fight. He's got the hunger back now. Unlike Helenius, I felt Wallin was a decent test, but it didn't turn out like that.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Read on BBC Sport that Frank Warren and Eddie Hearn had never even met in real life, until November this year during the build up for the Saudi card. Shows how much of boxing is working in individual silos, trying to carve out your own profits.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I accept that Zhang is a credible and dangerous opponent not to be just casually dismissed, but I don't see the argument of Joshua running from Zhang. There is just nothing on the line in that fight - no belts, no big money, no prestige.

Had Zhang got a decision vs Hrgovic I still think Hearn would be talking up a fight for the IBF belt between AJ and Zhang.

The three time thing is big deal for Joshua and as you mentioned, it's part of his arc having lost to Usyk. Whether he faces Hrgovic or Zhang, it's a risky fight.

It's understandable that AJ lost his way between the Usyk and Franklin fights but the KO against Helenius flicked a switch in him and that continued into the Wallin fight. He's got the hunger back now. Unlike Helenius, I felt Wallin was a decent test, but it didn't turn out like that.
Yes Zhang is now in the *who needs him" category. No worthwhile title and not enough money to be gained while carrying considerable risk.
Hrgovic and the IBF title will be on the RADAR I think.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Regarding Wilder, what are his best victories during his career, Stiverne I to win the WBC belt in 2015 and Ortiz I in 2018? Stiverne wasn’t exactly the most disciplined fighter around, didn’t exactly set the world alight in his previous fights leading up to their 2015 bout, and was 36 at the time. Ortiz while very talented, doesn’t have a particularly impressive set of victories on his career record either, was a few weeks away from his 39th birthday at the time of their 2018 bout, and caused Wilder quite a lot of problems.

Clearly his punching power from his right hand has been insane, but what an incredibly padded out record, especially from someone who held a world title belt for so long.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Regarding Wilder, what are his best victories during his career, Stiverne I to win the WBC belt in 2015 and Ortiz I in 2018? Stiverne wasn’t exactly the most disciplined fighter around, didn’t exactly set the world alight in his previous fights leading up to their 2015 bout, and was 36 at the time. Ortiz while very talented, doesn’t have a particularly impressive set of victories on his career record either, was a few weeks away from his 39th birthday at the time of their 2018 bout, and caused Wilder quite a lot of problems.

Clearly his punching power from his right hand has been insane, but what an incredibly padded out record, especially from someone who held a world title belt for so long.
Probably these 2 yeah, and Ortiz 2 I guess as another name on paper, although he was losing every round up until the KO. His resume as a champion is absolutely shocking - AJ had to beat Wlad and Parker for belts and defend against Ruiz, Povetkin, Pulev; any of those would easily be Wilder's best win (even though the latter 2 were past their best) and the majority probably would have beaten him. Crazy how far he's got with just power.

I don't think history will look back kindly at the Fury trilogy either, everyone knows the 1st was a robbery, got the piss beaten out of him in the 2nd and then other than 1 round of the fight he got dominated and KO'd cold in the 3rd.

Honestly one of the most one-sided trilogies in history when you look at it, 28 rounds completed between them and he probably won 4 of those at best, and 3 were just because of knockdowns.

Last edited:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Probably these 2 yeah, and Ortiz 2 I guess as another name on paper, although he was losing every round up until the KO. His resume as a champion is absolutely shocking - AJ had to beat Wlad and Parker for belts and defend against Ruiz, Povetkin, Pulev; any of those would easily be Wilder's best win (even though the latter 2 were past their best) and the majority probably would have beaten him. Crazy how far he's got with just power.

I don't think history will look back kindly at the Fury trilogy either, everyone knows the 1st was a robbery, got the piss beaten out of him in the 2nd and then other than 1 round of the fight he got dominated and KO'd cold in the 3rd.

Honestly one of the most one-sided trilogies in history when you look at it, 28 rounds completed between them and he probably won 4 of those at best, and 3 were just because of knockdowns.
Agreed. I know he was due to fight Povetkin in 2016, before that was cancelled due to Povetkin's positive drugs test, but even had they fought and he won that, his record still wouldn't look particularly impressive.

How many opponents that Wilder beat were even better than someone like Takam (who Joshua beat in 2017)? I'd say a pretty small number. Elsewhere I've seen some Wilder fans deriding Joshua's win over a 41 year old Wlad, who was clearly still a better opponent than anyone that he beat (I'd definitely take a 41 year old Wlad over a 38-40 year old Ortiz).

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Agreed. I know he was due to fight Povetkin in 2016, before that was cancelled due to Povetkin's positive drugs test, but even had they fought and he won that, his record still wouldn't look particularly impressive.

How many opponents that Wilder beat were even better than someone like Takam (who Joshua beat in 2017)? I'd say a pretty small number. Elsewhere I've seen some Wilder fans deriding Joshua's win over a 41 year old Wlad, who was clearly still a better opponent than anyone that he beat (I'd definitely take a 41 year old Wlad over a 38-40 year old Ortiz).
I really think the criticism of AJ's resume is over the top at times. Wlad, Povektin, Ruiz, Parker, Pulev as title defences / unifications are all probably in the 6.5 - 7.5 / 10 range. Only Ortiz fits that criteria for Wilder, and A) at the lower end and B) he struggled in both fights.

Takam is probably the only one that falls short during that period for AJ and he was a replacement for Pulev on 2 weeks notice, and as you mentioned would STILL be Wilder's best win outside Ortiz probably (maybe Stiverne 1).

The rest of his title defences are trash on par with AJ's first couple against Molina & Breazeale (ironically both of whom are common opponents).

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

Anyone see the Teddy Atlas interview with Lex Fridman? Fascinating interview talking about his days with Cus and Tyson. Cant help but respect the guy.

G-manc

Anyone see the Teddy Atlas interview with Lex Fridman? Fascinating interview talking about his days with Cus and Tyson. Cant help but respect the guy.

If you haven’t read it, his autobiography is very good.

Aside from the Tysons stuff, there’s some other good stories in there too.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Should be interesting. If Joshua smokes him in a couple of rounds it will make Tyson Fury look like a right muppet, and will get people talking about AJ v Fury.
Correct. And my early prediction is Joshua runs through him in less than 3 rounds. Full credit to Francis, but Fury is Fury and full of up and down performances. AJ will take this fight seriously after what Francies did in the Fury fight.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
intriguing fight now that Wilder is out of the picture. Zhang was being talked up a couple of days ago. Didn’t realise Joshua beat him at the Olympics in 2012.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Im intrigued because AJ retreats back into his shelf against a big puncher. So if Francis can land something big...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why? Maybe it’s just the mma fans but I’m also one curious to see how Francis does
Because it's once again diverting boxing and the heavyweight division. Ngannou probably should have won the fight against Fury so what will happen this time if it's that close? It's just making it a bit of a farce as usual which is why people get so fecking annoyed at the division.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Because it's once again diverting boxing and the heavyweight division. Ngannou probably should have won the fight against Fury so what will happen this time if it's that close? It's just making it a bit of a farce as usual which is why people get so fecking annoyed at the division.
Yeah I get that. I think I gave up with the heavyweight division after Fury Ngannou. I just accept it’s a freakshow for entertainment now where the results don’t matter. And this has a bit of entertainment value

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Hard fight to call:

• Is Joshua back-back to the fighter who believed in himself pre-Ruiz? The fighter who believed in his power and physical presence?
  • How will N’Gannou approach a big hitter? He has been gun-shy in the past vs. Derrick Lewis (a notoriously powerful K.O artist in MMA).
  • Leading on from the above: really big punchers rarely produce great fights against one another. Could be a whole night of pawing tentatively from behind the jab for the both of them.

Pretty certain N'Gannou wins an outright firefight so the onus is on Joshua to avoid that and fight as long and patiently as he can.

Joshua's head movement is always a bone of contention for me and leaves me to believe if one is to be 'unexpectedly' caught, it'll be him after not sorting the aforementioned out in time.

N'Gannou is faster and more explosive and the more natural mover as a fighter in general (for me), and I think if Joshua's infamous drops in concentration and stamina are at play, he'll get caught in later middle rounds.

If he can keep N'Gannou on the outside on the end of his jab then I think it'll be a rather comfortable points victory.

With the tendencies of both, I think N'Gannou is more likely to catch him either in a fire fight or through one of those momentary lapses than Joshua is to keep him out and control the vast majority of the fight.

Dan_F

Why would it be annoying if it’s close? Ngannou came out with so much credit against Fury and if he can produce something similar against AJ then surely he belongs in heavyweight boxing?

It’s definitely a money fight, but I can see the logic. Wilder lost, Fury is fighting Usyk, he’s definitely waiting for the IBF to become vacant before fighting Hrgovic. You could say Zhang, but I can understand striking while the iron is hot with Ngannou. It’s not a big issue if he’s going to fight three times a year now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It won’t be close. If AJ prepares properly he will easily win. It’s definitely an interesting fight but mainly because Fury didn’t take the first one seriously, which creates a false sense of jeapordy for AJ.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why would it be annoying if it’s close? Ngannou came out with so much credit against Fury and if he can produce something similar against AJ then surely he belongs in heavyweight boxing?

It’s definitely a money fight, but I can see the logic. Wilder lost, Fury is fighting Usyk, he’s definitely waiting for the IBF to become vacant before fighting Hrgovic. You could say Zhang, but I can understand striking while the iron is hot with Ngannou. It’s not a big issue if he’s going to fight three times a year now.
Because if it's close they're not going to let Ngannou win like the Fury fight.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Hopefully Francis' performance vs Fury wasn't just a one off, as this will be very intriguing. The way he kept coming forward and showed decent hand speed makes me think he could do something here. AJ won't want to be fighting on the back foot, so he'll have to try to assert himself early to keep Ngannou humble.

Dan_F

Because if it's close they're not going to let Ngannou win like the Fury fight.
I don’t think that’s especially new or a conspiracy because they don’t want the MMA guy to win. It’s always been a cliche that the champion will get the benefit of the doubt in close fights. Theres loads of examples throughout boxing where the champion has come away with a dodgy points win.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It won’t be close. If AJ prepares properly he will easily win. It’s definitely an interesting fight but mainly because Fury didn’t take the first one seriously, which creates a false sense of jeapordy for AJ.
Who knows. Despite Fury looking crap, Ngannou had a bit of the Wilder fear factor about him.
I don’t think that’s especially new or a conspiracy because they don’t want the MMA guy to win. It’s always been a cliche that the champion will get the benefit of the doubt in close fights. Theres loads of examples throughout boxing where the champion has come away with a dodgy points win.
It's better for the Saudi market that Fury and Joshua stay king.

youngrell

Hopefully Francis' performance vs Fury wasn't just a one off, as this will be very intriguing. The way he kept coming forward and showed decent hand speed makes me think he could do something here. AJ won't want to be fighting on the back foot, so he'll have to try to assert himself early to keep Ngannou humble.
Was he coming forward? From what I remember he waited patiently for the whole fight and made Fury initiate the action, which is what caused Fury so much trouble. He was quite sharp when Fury did engage but he didn’t press the action for sure.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Was he coming forward? From what I remember he waited patiently for the whole fight and made Fury initiate the action, which is what caused Fury so much trouble. He was quite sharp when Fury did engage but he didn’t press the action for sure.
I'm not a Fury fan but despite his dire performance he won that fight. It was certainly not a robbery.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
How anyone can defend Hearn or Joshua these days is beyond me.

Hearn really is the master of manipulation when it comes to the common idiot.
Who would you have liked Joshua to fight next? Hrgovic was the only other option at this stage. It's not like the guy has been fighting bums. It was meant to be Wilder, now.

If Fury beats Usyk, and Joshua wins then it's all lining up for the biggest british fight ever this summer. It's boxing, though, so it probably won't happen.

Last edited:

G-manc

Not that we didn’t already know, but they’re all at it now (fighters & promoters); most aren’t even denying it’s about maximising earnings now and the Saudi money isn’t going to help. I get it’s a short lived & dangerous career but don’t try and pretend you’re interested in meaningful fights.

Eddie Hearn openly laughed at the Ngannou fight and said Joshua wasn’t interested and now suddenly sees it as legit.

Someone like Wilder looks shot to pieces but why would he retire when they’ll keep chucking millions at him?

Then you’ve got Frank Warren defending the non-atmosphere in the middle-east; we’re not deaf, just saying ‘you weren’t there’ isn’t a defence.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
:lol: It might just be my memory, but he didn't let Fury take the centre of the ring for large periods of the fight. He'd fire back in each exchange and then tried to back Fury up to the ropes. He was quite aggressive and I think that's what could put Joshua into trouble. As he showed vs Fury, he won't by physically dominated either.