Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
So this week I've been playing and enjoying 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. Anybody here played it?

It's a murder-mystery-visual-novel-puzzle game that originally came out on DS and was ported to PC a few years ago. The set-up is that you're one of nine people taken hostage on a ship and tasked with escape, which is trickier than it sounds.

The writing is excellent and it's got a fun b-movie to it. I really like the way it keeps you guessing about what's happening in that let's make this as weird as fecking possible way Japanese developers like to do.

There's multiple endings and your choices alter what's happening so you need to play a few times to get the True one. I got the first bad end last night, a moment in which our spritely protagonist is stabbed by a mysterious foe (who it be?!).

I'm v. excited to keep playing and learn what's really going on.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/zero-escape-the-nonary-games

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So this week I've been playing and enjoying 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. Anybody here played it?

It's a murder-mystery-visual-novel-puzzle game that originally came out on DS and was ported to PC a few years ago. The set-up is that you're one of nine people taken hostage on a ship and tasked with escape, which is trickier than it sounds.

The writing is excellent and it's got a fun b-movie to it. I really like the way it keeps you guessing about what's happening in that let's make this as weird as fecking possible way Japanese developers like to do.

There's multiple endings and your choices alter what's happening so you need to play a few times to get the True one. I got the first bad end last night, a moment in which our spritely protagonist is stabbed by a mysterious foe (who it be?!).

Sounds fun. It's not on the switch though :(

Ainu

I've been playing some Ys: Memories of Celceta since finishing my three playthroughs of Ys Origin last weekend. Not all that great, I have to say. Even for a game that originally launched on the Vita, this looks pretty ugly, and not in a charming, retro way. Ys VIII was its direct successor and it does share a lot of mechanics, but wow what an improvement that game was. Origin was pretty good though. I think I'll probably hold off buying Ys IX until it gets a good sale now, after this one I'm pretty sure I've had my fill of Ys games for a while.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I've been playing some Ys: Memories of Celceta since finishing my three playthroughs of Ys Origin last weekend. Not all that great, I have to say. Even for a game that originally launched on the Vita, this looks pretty ugly, and not in a charming, retro way. Ys VIII was its direct successor and it does share a lot of mechanics, but wow what an improvement that game was. Origin was pretty good though. I think I'll probably hold off buying Ys IX until it gets a good sale now, after this one I'm pretty sure I've had my fill of Ys games for a while.
Vita had some gems and a ton of potential, it could have been sony's switch , shame they insisted on those wretched memory cards they killed it before it had a chance to shine. always wondered what could have been.

Regretfully it seems to have killed sony's desire to get back in the portable market.

Bosws87

Looks like its a superb port, if you are pc and haven't played it and like a good single player do yourself a favour and pick it up!

AaronRedDevil

Has anyone here Played the Zero Escape Nonary games? Heard good things about it. Waiting for a sale at on them for the moment. Is it any good?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I need help with Hades. 22 runs in and I can't get past the Asphodel bosses. I probably will if I get another Death Defiance but I'm struggling to how ill beat them and also clear the final area Hades. Genuinely considering God Mode. People seem to do multiple runs of this game which I find myself managing hard to imagine tbh. Just seems like a game I'll never truly get the most out of as God Mode will feel cheap.

Love the Soulsborne series but this feels much more publishing? I die tons more times in those games but a run in this takes a fair bit of time.

Finally how many successfully runs does it take to actually finish the game?
Whohoo around 24 runs in and I've beaten it. Actually beat the final boss on my second attempt. The spear was my weapon of choice. Really got a lovely set of boons on that run. I've heard it's 9 successful runs to truly finish the story

Ainu

Whohoo around 24 runs in and I've beaten it. Actually beat the final boss on my second attempt. The spear was my weapon of choice. Really got a lovely set of boons on that run. I've heard it's 9 successful runs to truly finish the story
It's 10 successful runs to get to the ending but there's more after that. By maxing your bonds with all of the Olympians and some of the key figures in the house of Hades, you can get an epilogue which is the true conclusion of the story. I've never seen it as I stopped shortly after getting the ending. It was becoming too much of a grind.

amolbhatia50k

It's 10 successful runs to get to the ending but there's more after that. By maxing your bonds with all of the Olympians and some of the key figures in the house of Hades, you can get an epilogue which is the true conclusion of the story. I've never seen it as I stopped shortly after getting the ending. It was becoming too much of a grind.
Yeah I can see myself playing enough to get finish the story (if I'm good enough to finish it 9 times) but anything beyond would be the same for me. Also I don't see myself csting much for the pact. Game seems hard enough as it is.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Finished 999. What a ride that was! All fantastically convoluted but high-quality mystery wrapped up in a ridiculously entertaining and mind-boggling plot.

It's not one for the 'realism' crowd but if you like sci-fi murder mysteries, I highly recommend it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Has anyone here Played the Zero Escape Nonary games? Heard good things about it. Waiting for a sale at on them for the moment. Is it any good?
Did you miss my post about it like 5 up from yours? :lol:

See also my last reply :)

AaronRedDevil

Did you miss my post about it like 5 up from yours? :lol:

See also my last reply :)

Oh THATS what you were talking about. :lol:. Didn't know it was called 999. Friend of mine really enjoyed it and it does seem like my kind of game I'd like. He swears by it. I'll definitely pick it up when there's a sale. Just now started playing Scarlet Nexus on Game Pass. Tried playing San Andreas but I just wasn't impressed with the way it looks. Cleared Halo Infinite yesterday too. It's decent.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Oh THATS what you were talking about. :lol:. Didn't know it was called 999. Friend of mine really enjoyed it and it does seem like my kind of game I'd like. He swears by it. I'll definitely pick it up when there's a sale. Just now started playing Scarlet Nexus on Game Pass. Tried playing San Andreas but I just wasn't impressed with the way it looks. Cleared Halo Infinite yesterday too. It's decent.
Haha yeah. 999 is the first game in the Zero Escape: Nonary games series, which I appreciate is a bit confusing. It comes with 999 and the sequel Virtue's Last Reward (haven't played yet).

It's really good if you're looking for story but there's lots of reading as it's basically a quasi-visual novel/puzzle game. The puzzles are nice as they break up the text. There's lots of twists!

How's Scarlett Nexus so far? It's on my list to play after I beat Halo

AaronRedDevil

Haha yeah. 999 is the first game in the Zero Escape Nonary games series, which I appreciate is a bit confusing. It comes with 999 and the sequel Virtue's Last Reward (haven't played yet).

It's really good if you're looking for story but there's lots of reading as it's basically a quasi-visual novel/puzzle game. The puzzles are nice though as because they break up the text.

How's Scarlett Nexus so far? It's on my list to play after I beat Halo
Well I've beaten Persona 5 twice so reading isn't a problem after that :lol:. I'm all about story over gameplay to be honest so it sounds like my kinda game. For Nexus Just only at the start right now. But it looks good so far, I like the style and the fighting. The cutscenes have an anime comic style to them. Has a Nier Automata vibe to it. Takes 25 ish hours to beat. Hope it's good.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Just started played Bloodborne for the first time yesterday.

Yeah it might take me a while to finish.
The first stretch is the hardest by far and that's coming from someone who platinumed everything including the bastard DLC. There will be a bit of grind and a lot of learning especially if this is your first from soft game. It's not a coincidence that 55% of the players can't make it past the first mandatory boss.

Just keep at it and it will just click at some point after which it's a GOAT experience in store. There are always multiple ways to beat enemies or clear areas, so just explore everything and try not looking up online. Exploring this game for the first time is something I'll never forget.

Sweet Square

The first stretch is the hardest by far and that's coming from someone who platinumed everything including the bastard DLC. There will be a bit of grind and a lot of learning especially if this is your first from soft game. It's not a coincidence that 55% of the players can't make it past the first mandatory boss.

Just keep at it and it will just click at some point after which it's a GOAT experience in store. There are always multiple ways to beat enemies or clear areas, so just explore everything and try not looking up online. Exploring this game for the first time is something I'll never forget.
Cheers.

Yeah I've played Dark Souls 2 before but gave up pretty quickly due to the difficulty and the high-fantasy/lord of the rings type setting which really isn't for me. Decided to give Bloodborn a real go due to the gothic victorian style(From a game that came in 2015, it does at times look amazing). Overall I'm really enjoying it(Once I've accepted I'm going to die a lot), exploring the world and finding gates which opens new pathways is a great feeling(Also struggling in an area and then destroying it later on when you've got better upgrades/stats is just :drool:). The boss battles are my favourite parts so far. Everything from the cutscenes during the build up, the soundtrack to just trying to survive while learning how the boss moves.

So far I've made it to the blood-starved beast and nearly did in one shot until it caught me and puked up a ton of poison onto my poor old head. :( Yep so far I've managed to avoid any spoilers/tips.

Moby

Dick
Cheers.

Yeah I've played Dark Souls 2 before but gave up pretty quickly due to the difficulty and the high-fantasy/lord of the rings type setting which really isn't for me. Decided to give Bloodborn a real go due to the gothic victorian style(From a game that came in 2015, it does at times look amazing). Overall I'm really enjoying it(Once I've accepted I'm going to die a lot), exploring the world and finding gates which opens new pathways is a great feeling(Also struggling in an area and then destroying it later on when you've got better upgrades/stats is just :drool:). The boss battles are my favourite parts so far. Everything from the cutscenes during the build up, the soundtrack to just trying to survive while learning how the boss moves.

So far I've made it to the blood-starved beast and nearly did in one shot until it caught me and puked up a ton of poison onto my poor old head. :( Yep so far I've managed to avoid any spoilers/tips.
The bolded bit is exactly it so you've already got it. I didn't know you were at blood starved beast which means you are past most of the really hard initial slog. Just absolute carnage from here on out. :drool:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I recommend to anyone who hasn't played it already play the Hotline Miami duology .

Its a indie top view shooting beat them up game with tight controls, chaotic game play, great sound track and a post modern narrative to play through.

The gameplay is simple you have a punch that knocks enemies down readying them for execution and also you can pick up weapons, enemies die with one bullet but so do you and this makes for intense fight in the enemy infested maps, there are also masks(or characters in the case of the 2nd game) which give you extra abilities (faster movement, deadly punches etc etc) it also has a heavy 80s synth aesthetic which contributed heavily to the popularization of vapor ware and synthetic based music, the soundtrack is taken from different artists whom the creators found through soundclad and almost all of them have become classics and they suit the tone of the game and narrative perfectly.

The games take place in a pseudo 1980s usa where ussr has taken the advantage in the cold war with America and in particular Miami getting infested with Russian mafias and San Francisco getting nuked.

The first game has you controlling an unnamed and mute protagonist who goes through his memories of rampaging through Russian mafia's hideouts and trying to piece together what happened, maps are very tight which alow you to memorize the movements to create the perfect run and the amount of masks give you the versatility to create your own preferred play style. The plot has many some twist and turns and it eerie and sureal atmosphere will keep you hooked up.

The second game has you instead playing several characters each with their own capabilities and generally has much bigger maps with bigger enemy counts which amp up the difficulty, the plot while retaing the atmosphere of the previous game is a lot more straightforward this time around and plays akin to an anthology series which is referenced in the vhs motif of the starting menu. This game while still beloved is a lot more divisive among the fans with many finding the lack of the mask system limiting and the bigger maps lacking the tightness of the original, the plot may also be trying to be too subversive for its own sake, but even then the game has a lot to offer with some very memorable stages , great new songs and a level editor for you to make your own desired stages.

As if it wasn't obvious from my glowing review , I really like this game so I am biased but I believe it's quality will speak for itself seeing how influential it has been so go give it a try.

Bosws87

Absolutely insane, but also in the grand scheme of things a complete waste of time.

Sekiro speed run while completely blindfolded in around 2 hours possibly the highlight of the whole thing.

Ainu

Scarlet Nexus is fecking brilliant at the moment. And I’m only 4 hours into it.
I played the demo last year and was a bit concerned that the level design looked a little too generic. How is it in the full game? Although 4 hours is perhaps not long enough to get a good idea.

AaronRedDevil

I played the demo last year and was a bit concerned that the level design looked a little too generic. How is it in the full game? Although 4 hours is perhaps not long enough to get a good idea.
Yeah the level design is generic but everything else is pretty solid. The characters are unique, the story is interesting and the combat is fun enough. Some good turns in the story so far. I’m almost halfway through the story now.

Ainu

Yeah the level design is generic but everything else is pretty solid. The characters are unique, the story is interesting and the combat is fun enough. Some good turns in the story so far. I’m almost halfway through the story now.
It's currently 50% off on the PS store, hmmm, tempting. One other issue I had with the demo was that the gameplay was a bit overwhelming. I suspect that's because you get dropped right in the thick of it while hopefully the full game does a better job easing you into it.

AaronRedDevil

It's currently 50% off on the PS store, hmmm, tempting. One other issue I had with the demo was that the gameplay was a bit overwhelming. I suspect that's because you get dropped right in the thick of it while hopefully the full game does a better job easing you into it.
Yeah it was a bit much at the start but it gets much easier once you know the controls. I bought Game pass for it as it’s much cheaper. I’d say wait a while more in case it might get cheaper or it gets on PsPlus. Definetly worth checking out though. If you were a fan of Nier.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'm so surprised at how playable UFC4 is. I only bought it to play with my mate who loves watching UFC, saw it had ok reviews. The same mate I've been playing Tekken with for over 20 years. This sh*t is very good for 2 player if you like fighting games. Thinking mans Tekken. I used to love the Fightnight games and this is a great addition to that genre.

We've got so competitive this last few weeks, each fight is a tactical battle and very tense, like the old fightnight games, a tough match leaves you pretty exhausted. Additionally, it's great developing your own fighter and levelling up the moves you use / like most. You really start to try and focus on your opponents weaknesses while defending your own.

amolbhatia50k

Made me think of you with it being the same people (sort of) that did Limbo and Inside.

Better trailer:
How highly do you rate these? I played a bit of Limo but it seemed very basic in terms of gameplay so I never bothered with either.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
How highly do you rate these? I played a bit of Limo but it seemed very basic in terms of gameplay so I never bothered with either.
I only played Limbo for the first time a few weeks back and did it in two, maybe three, sittings. I really enjoyed it. I will say that for me it was the right length, any longer and it would have lost it's impact.

I bought Inside too but haven't started that one yet.

amolbhatia50k

So I've been playing Jedi Knight. It's pretty good and probably better in many ways than I expected, given it's EA published. Everything is competently done and they were smart to derive so much from games like Dark Souls, GoW, Uncharted etc. But on the hand I don't think it does anything excellently and while it's an easy pick up and play, not much I've done is memorable. Most of my 10-15 hours have felt the same.

On the other hand, I've also been replaying Last of Us 2 and it's striking how much everything in that has an impact of the player.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The gameplay is basic but it's an impactful game, the brooding tone and general eeriness is brilliant.

INSIDE is even stranger and without giving too many plot points away, a more aimed game at how people's thoughts are manipulated. Both are conceptual, maybe even abstract, but they're Danish and it figures because that's the land of Lars Von Trier and bacon.

They're both as far from the usual fun-filled gaming escapism you can get (which may or may not appeal).

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The gameplay is basic but it's an impactful game, the brooding tone and general eeriness is brilliant.

INSIDE is even stranger and without giving too many plot points away, a more aimed game at how people's thoughts are manipulated. Both are conceptual, maybe even abstract, but they're Danish and it figures because that's the land of Lars Von Trier and bacon.

They're both as far from the usual fun-filled gaming escapism you can get (which may or may not appeal).
I may be an outlier but I found limbo to be a very relaxing ambient sort of experience, the kind you do before going to sleep.