Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gaming Laptops are never great. They need to be big and heavy to get a decent graphics card with some airflow into them. They still wont have enough airflow, will be burning hot running the most basic shit and cost a fortune. You could spend a grand and get nintendo switch like performance on a bulky, heavy laptop.
Or just buy a basic laptop, it'll run 5+ year old games and most indie games.

I loved the Last Guardian. Animations are very impressive, you stand next to a chest high wall and the character will lean on it and look around. It just has hundreds and hundreds of animations for the most random stuff, i think theres probably about half a dozen chest high walls in a pretty long game but they animated the crap out of it. You lean off walls, have dozens of frames for going up a step. Same with Trico, lots of random tells that you dont really figure out what they mean for 12 hours and then they make sense, him moving his head vaguely to the left means hes hungry, i see, kind of stuff. You start to see why it was in development hell forever but its resulted in something really impressive.
I just really like the developer too and its up to their previous standard so easy to like. Well designed environment, enemies, story, music. I can see how it wont be for everyone but i loved it.
Really liking it half an hour or so in. I have the base PS4 so I knew it wouldn't run perfectly but I'm fine with that as long as I enjoy the game.

Revan

Assumptionman
Gaming Laptops are never great. They need to be big and heavy to get a decent graphics card with some airflow into them. They still wont have enough airflow, will be burning hot running the most basic shit and cost a fortune. You could spend a grand and get nintendo switch like performance on a bulky, heavy laptop.
Or just buy a basic laptop, it'll run 5+ year old games and most indie games.
Really disagree with this. I bought an ASUS ROG for around 1.6K in 2017 (Geforce 1060), and still plays modern games (for example Horizon PC port or Cyberpunk) pretty smoothly.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Really disagree with this. I bought an ASUS ROG for around 1.6K in 2017 (Geforce 1060), and still plays modern games (for example Horizon PC port or Cyberpunk) pretty smoothly.
So you think it could be worth getting one. It would effectively become my second gaming device for PC and Xbox games. I’d like to play things like age of empires or Skyrim modded. I do a fair bit of travelling so some portability would be great.

Bosws87

I’d never recommend a gaming laptop unless that’s the only way you are willing or can play PC Games.

If that’s your only option and your not bothered about high frame rates and high resolutions you should be able to find a decent setup that will run most modern games and ones to come at 60fps 1080p at high settings.

Most people tweak all their settings anyway it’s rare that the best option is just putting everything on max (just look at RDR pc settings)

Revan

Assumptionman
So you think it could be worth getting one. It would effectively become my second gaming device for PC and Xbox games. I’d like to play things like age of empires or Skyrim modded. I do a fair bit of travelling so some portability would be great.
You probably won't get as much performance as in a PC, but it will still be great and you can take it with you. Also, you can use it for other things.

caid

1.6k is a lot of money for pretty smoothly. How portable is it? How much does it weigh?

Revan

Assumptionman
1.6k is a lot of money for pretty smoothly. How portable is it? How much does it weigh?
Around 2.5kg, probably 3 with the charger. Had it as my only computer for almost 3 years and it was fine. Since I got a new Mac, I use it only for gaming.

Ainu

Honestly, 1.6k for a system with that card doesn't sound like good value at all. The desktop card launched at €/$250 in 2016. For 1.6k you probably would've been able to build a desktop rig with a 1080 without getting CPU bound.

TrustInJanuzaj

The Steam Deck is out soonish. I'd definitely get one of them over a gaming laptop.
Yeh but could be harder to get hold of. Any news on whether it will be able to play on the TV docked similarly to Switch?

Revan

Assumptionman
Honestly, 1.6k for a system with that card doesn't sound like good value at all. The desktop card launched at €/$250 in 2016. For 1.6k you probably would've been able to build a desktop rig with a 1080 without getting CPU bound.
How would I have carried a desktop rig in 5 different countries and 2 different continents? My laptop had a very fast i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, SSD hard drive, and a decent card that even after 5 years is able to play smoothly every game.

I am not sure your price for the GPU is right, even right now it costs over $500.

Ainu

How would I have carried a desktop rig in 5 different countries and 2 different continents? My laptop had a very fast i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, SSD hard drive, and a decent card that even after 5 years is able to play smoothly every game.

I am not sure your price for the GPU is right, even right now it costs over $500.
If you needed portability, fair enough. I wouldn't use current prices though, the GPU market is an absolute bloodbath right now. It's probably even a struggle to find current cards at double their retail price.

amolbhatia50k

On the laptop /pc topic, I recently got an M1 Mac. Is it good for gaming at all? Maybe indie stuff at least?

caid

On the laptop /pc topic, I recently got an M1 Mac. Is it good for gaming at all? Maybe indie stuff at least?
As Revan said a lot of games dont work on mac. Any old piece of crap laptop will run most indie games though. Or Age of Empires. Hell most modern phones could probably run age of empires. Skyrim with enough mods can get quite demanding but the base game would work on pretty much anything released in the last year or two.
Getting a laptop that will run Elden Ring at high settings will cost a fortune and you'll probably hit a point where it'll be cheaper to buy a desktop with the same specs for half the price and a seperate laptop for general use.

TrustInJanuzaj

In terms of specs though I’m guessing the steam handheld will be pretty underpowered compared to a gaming laptop though? I mean it wouldn’t be able to cool if it was too powerful?

TrustInJanuzaj

Well, I've put myself in the queue for the Steam handheld but not expecting any stock for that in a while.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Awesome. I think it depends what you want out of it. Personally i still love my Switch, and I'm sure the Steam Deck is gonna out-perform that, so sure its going to be pretty great for most people.

Bosws87

For the PC folks out there.

What's the absolute max spec you can possibly have on a custom PC and what sort of price range would you be looking at?
Currently be a 3090 something like a Ryzen 5950x, NVME SSD and fast DDR4 ram (DDR5 is a thing but bit too early)

rest is up to you motherboard, cooling solutions, case, second drive, monitors etc.

As a core those 4 components for a desktop at home you are already at around £3,3k so gives you a good starting ground.

amolbhatia50k

Did anyone play persona 5 strikers? Any good?
I started it and didn't enjoy at all. Seems like a really rushed spin off on the base game with much worse combat. Didn't enjoy the hoards of enemy style combat. And without the charming social simulator aspect the narrative seemed weaker.

Maybe it gets better but I didn't like the 30-45 mins I put into it.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Currently trying to get into Windjammers 2. I'm enjoying it, but I'm put off by how TERRIBLE I am at it.

Hoof the ball

Currently be a 3090 something like a Ryzen 5950x, NVME SSD and fast DDR4 ram (DDR5 is a thing but bit too early)

rest is up to you motherboard, cooling solutions, case, second drive, monitors etc.

As a core those 4 components for a desktop at home you are already at around £3,3k so gives you a good starting ground.
Sweet! So you think it'll probably max out around 7k? Can do that!

AaronRedDevil

I started it and didn't enjoy at all. Seems like a really rushed spin off on the base game with much worse combat. Didn't enjoy the hoards of enemy style combat. And without the charming social simulator aspect the narrative seemed weaker.

Maybe it gets better but I didn't like the 30-45 mins I put into it.
damn. I'll check it out for a few hours and see what happens.

b82REZ

Strikers is a game I think you need to have played Persona 5 first as the game continues after that.

I stopped playing it when I realised that, but honestly I just don't have the time or the patience for Persona 5. I'm actually shocked how much the relationship crap is held in such high regard. It seems like needless filler to me.

The extended sections of little to no gameplay don't help the cause either. I know unsubtle storytelling is synonymous with the genre, and when I was younger I could tolerate it, but as an adult it actually ruins it for me. The exception in recent years has been Yakuza LaD.

I may power through Strikers eventually, simply because it reveiwed well and seems to be more focused on the battling and gameplay than the game that inspired it.

amolbhatia50k

Strikers is a game I think you need to have played Persona 5 first as the game continues after that.

I stopped playing it when I realised that, but honestly I just don't have the time or the patience for Persona 5. I'm actually shocked how much the relationship crap is held in such high regard. It seems like needless filler to me.

The extended sections of little to no gameplay don't help the cause either. I know unsubtle storytelling is synonymous with the genre, and when I was younger I could tolerate it, but as an adult it actually ruins it for me. The exception in recent years has been Yakuza LaD.

I may power through Strikers eventually, simply because it reveiwed well and seems to be more focused on the battling and gameplay than the game that inspired it.
I really enjoyed Persona 5 for the first 25 hours or so. The next 15-20 less so. After that I gave up as it was all unnecessary content that was annoyingly repetitive so I called it a day.

Can't say I played much of strikers but it seems to have taken the combat from Dynasty Warriors ? Either way I hated it. The turn based stuff was better and I don't like turned based stuff.

amolbhatia50k

I'm enjoying both Last Guardian and DMC5. Trico is wonderfully animated, such an emotive and life like (lol) companion. Visually it's a bit harsh on the eyes on the base Ps4 but liking it regardless. DMC5's combat is really fun. I probably won't get the absolute most out of it as I don't care about stuff like S ranking etc but so far so good.

AaronRedDevil

I really enjoyed Persona 5 for the first 25 hours or so. The next 15-20 less so. After that I gave up as it was all unnecessary content that was annoyingly repetitive so I called it a day.

Can't say I played much of strikers but it seems to have taken the combat from Dynasty Warriors ? Either way I hated it. The turn based stuff was better and I don't like turned based stuff.
I cleared P5, Twice! :lol: . First time took me 100 hour's. Second time was in December where I just speed run through the whole game, skipped the endless dialogue. Took me 68 hours. I had a lot of time on my hands...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Finished Suikoden 1 in my Suikoden marathon and started 2. God it's nice that there is a sprint button and more runeslots.

Minkaro

Just seen Netflix are doing a Cuphead show. Out 18th February.

I’ve not played it, but might be interesting.

caid

I'm enjoying both Last Guardian and DMC5. Trico is wonderfully animated, such an emotive and life like (lol) companion. Visually it's a bit harsh on the eyes on the base Ps4 but liking it regardless. DMC5's combat is really fun. I probably won't get the absolute most out of it as I don't care about stuff like S ranking etc but so far so good.
I played it on the ps5, seemed pretty smooth on that. Its funny, i bought a ps3 to play it and from what i heard of the ps4 version its more of a ps5 game.

amolbhatia50k

I played it on the ps5, seemed pretty smooth on that. Its funny, i bought a ps3 to play it and from what i heard of the ps4 version its more of a ps5 game.
Yeah some things about it look like they're from the Ps3 era tbh. But mainly the frame rate on the Ps4 is poor. Regardless given the kind of game it is the puzzles and mainly Trico (and his connect with the boy) are the main points. And Trico is fantastic!

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I really liked Last Guardian but Trico wouldn't do what I wanted him to do to trigger the next part of the level at times. Got very frustrating out of nowhere. But on the whole a amazing level of AI programming.

amolbhatia50k

I really liked Last Guardian but Trico wouldn't do what I wanted him to do to trigger the next part of the level at times. Got very frustrating out of nowhere. But on the whole a amazing level of AI programming.
It can feel a little disjointed but it plays fine into the theme given you'd expect them to not be completely and seamlessly in sync with each other. The thing that annoys me qt times is the camera. And the bits where baddies catch you and you have to buttom smash symbols off the screen.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dmc 5 is fecking awesome. There aren't enough games that have the option to give you a proper controller breaking challenge.