Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Moby

Dick
Are these any good? Well I know Witcher is but the other one?
Plenty went on about it here recently and have heard about it in the past so tried it out. Only played a bit and I get what it's meant to be and for that it plays great. It's basically an interactive novel, massive amount of dialogue the while time but the voice acting, music and ambience is fantastic. I just bought it on Steam so that I have something to play on my macbook when I'm in bed and for that kinda casual laidback game this is perfect.

TW3 is perfection in it's own right.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Plenty went on about it here recently and have heard about it in the past so tried it out. Only played a bit and I get what it's meant to be and for that it plays great. It's basically an interactive novel, massive amount of dialogue the while time but the voice acting, music and ambience is fantastic. I just bought it on Steam so that I have something to play on my macbook when I'm in bed and for that kinda casual laidback game this is perfect.

TW3 is perfection in it's own right.
Both on the old watchlist!

Moby

Dick
Both on the old watchlist!
TW3 was the first game I bought on PS4, but I kept on delaying it after starting it a bit. Initially it feels similar to the usual action/adventure RPGs especially for someone who smashed Oblivion/Skyrim for ages - with the same medieval fantasy setting so I kept playing other stuff which felt more innovative. All this while kept hearing how I should absolutely play before anything else.

Finally restarted it seriously and finished the first full main quest which is fairly massive and gives you a good taste of everything the game is about anf it's just incredible while also setting itself apart from others in the genre. The way you pave your own journey based on every decision you make is incredible. Plus the OST is out of this world as well.

And like I mentioned in the other thread it has a card game inside which you can play with any NPC which is completely separate from the main game (except you win money from it) and that is an awesome game in itself. I've spent more time playing that as compared to the main game. :lol:

AaronRedDevil

Surprised at the 17 hours, that seems pretty short for that type of game. Unless they really designed the game for two playthroughs.
To be fair I didn't do much else in the game but the story. talk to the squad mates and do there missions. Anything I brushed over. Good length for 2 playthroughs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Are these any good? Well I know Witcher is but the other one?
Disco Elysium is fantastic. It's nearly all text and voice acting which may bother some, but for me it was a great time as the writing is as good as it gets in gaming.

amolbhatia50k

Any great JRPGs people would recommend that dont have turned based combat ?

b82REZ

Didn't continue since last time out. Not really playing a lot these days, that 2021 wrap up summary hit me hard. :lol:

Also I have ended up with a bunch of good games that I've started and need to continue/finish:

Sekiro
Disco Elysium
The Witcher 3
Cuphead
We have a scarily similar unfinished backlog.

Irwin99

Completed a ridiculously annoying boss on the DLC for Dark Souls 3- Sister Friede- after about 40 attempts. Thought it would be the end of the DLC but there's more!

Moby

Dick
Completed a ridiculously annoying boss on the DLC for Dark Souls 3- Sister Friede- after about 40 attempts. Thought it would be the end of the DLC but there's more!
Looks like their version of Laurence from Bloodborne. Big bastard lit on fire in a closed area.

feck Laurence forever. I'd anyday rather fight Orphan of Kos over that cnut.

Ainu

That was a disgustingly hard fight for me as well. I really didn't enjoy phase three and eventually it just became incredibly annoying and tedious even reaching that phase. I liked the final DLC boss a lot more.

amolbhatia50k

Finished Outer Wilds : Echoes of the Eye. A fantastic experience full of wonder, fear and emotion. Blends in almost seamlessly with the base game. Only downer is that I'm done with both the base game (3 times) and the DLC. Wish I could 'un-know' these games and go through them again. For anyone who doesn't mind a lack of hold holding and can be patient with figuring stuff out, give both the base game and the DLC a go. Figuring out some of the stuff at the end gave me a buzz bigger than beating any boss!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Finished Outer Wilds : Echoes of the Eye. A fantastic experience full of wonder, fear and emotion. Blends in almost seamlessly with the base game. Only downer is that I'm done with both the base game (3 times) and the DLC. Wish I could 'un-know' these games and go through them again. For anyone who doesn't mind a lack of hold holding and can be patient with figuring stuff out, give both the base game and the DLC a go. Figuring out some of the stuff at the end gave me a buzz bigger than beating any boss!
What genre does this game fall under?

Irwin99

That was a disgustingly hard fight for me as well. I really didn't enjoy phase three and eventually it just became incredibly annoying and tedious even reaching that phase. I liked the final DLC boss a lot more.
I thought i was such a badass as I finished the first two phases on my first try and was all smug and grinning and then suddenly: "Oh god, no! there's a third phase!". After getting annihilated there i kept dying on the first and second phases over and over :lol: .

amolbhatia50k

What genre does this game fall under?
I'd call Outer Wilds a game about discovery and exploration. For me, Mobius Digital with these games is doing somethings nobody else is doing really, in gaming. Maybe Subnautica to an extent which I really loved but it's a notch or two below.

One of the best reviewers Skill Up sums it up well - by refusing to tell you much about the game (you have to play this without reading up) and giving both the base game and dlc his GOTY in 2019 and 2021 :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I'd call Outer Wilds a game about discovery and exploration. For me, Mobius Digital with these games is doing somethings nobody else is doing really, in gaming. Maybe Subnautica to an extent which I really loved but it's a notch or two below.

One of the best reviewers Skill Up sums it up well - by refusing to tell you much about the game (you have to play this without reading up) and giving both the base game and dlc his GOTY in 2019 and 2021 :lol:
It's going on the list!

Bebe

I started playing Vampyr last week, had it in my library for ages as it was free on ps+ at some point. Absolutely cracking game and I love how your choices really make a difference on the city, I made what I thought were the right choices in two districts and ended up fecking it big time, and with their autosave and night feature you don't find out until it's too late, so can't even go back and change things.
I definitely recommend that anyone who enjoys an engaging story plays this. It has a few difficulties, one of which is story mode where you can play and enjoy the story without worrying too much about combat and levelling.
Finished this on the weekend. I really wanted to like it, and there were elements that I did...but overall I found it disappointing. The citizens have interesting stories to uncover, but I didn't find ways to meaningfully impact those stories (other than straight up murdering their lovers or some such). The main story and world building were interesting, but I wish the legendary vampires had been a bit more involved in the story if they were going to be so important at the end. And for a game that relied heavily on conversations, the dialogue was torturous to listen to.

Decent combat and city design (although both got a bit tedious towards the end), good premise and you can tell a lot of thought and passion went into the game and I'll forgive a lot based on that. Not an experience I'll ever repeat though, despite the story lending itself to replayability.

Ainu

So I've been playing Shenmue 1 the last couple of days. I've tried to treat it as a game of its time and like it, but... I've tolerated the combat so far but this 70 man battle is where I'm out. I'm sad to say I probably didn't really enjoy anything about the game. :lol:

Bosws87

So I've been playing Shenmue 1 the last couple of days. I've tried to treat it as a game of its time and like it, but... I've tolerated the combat so far but this 70 man battle is where I'm out. I'm sad to say I probably didn't really enjoy anything about the game. :lol:
Same experience its just aged dreadfully i'm sure it was great if i played it at the time but now its just crap.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Finished this on the weekend. I really wanted to like it, and there were elements that I did...but overall I found it disappointing. The citizens have interesting stories to uncover, but I didn't find ways to meaningfully impact those stories (other than straight up murdering their lovers or some such). The main story and world building were interesting, but I wish the legendary vampires had been a bit more involved in the story if they were going to be so important at the end. And for a game that relied heavily on conversations, the dialogue was torturous to listen to.

Decent combat and city design (although both got a bit tedious towards the end), good premise and you can tell a lot of thought and passion went into the game and I'll forgive a lot based on that. Not an experience I'll ever repeat though, despite the story lending itself to replayability.
I probably should give this one a go at some stage. It’s been sat in my library for what feels like years but I’ve never really fancied trying to get into it. Feel like it’s at least worth a proper shot though.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Also random question. So my MacBook is approaching its final shelf life and I’m thinking about getting a gaming laptop next time around. Can anyone advise on 1) are they worth the money? And 2) if they are which one would be worth buying?

I’m not particularly bothered about being able to play everything in ultra high but I’d love to get half decent performance and be able to play games like modded Skyrim, the Xbox/gamepass catelogue etc. I feel like if that isn’t cost effective I’ll just end up picking up an Xbox down the line as well but I’d probably prefer to have a halfway competent gaming laptop for portability and to open up some different games.

Bebe

I probably should give this one a go at some stage. It’s been sat in my library for what feels like years but I’ve never really fancied trying to get into it. Feel like it’s at least worth a proper shot though.
It is, and I think if it was about 20% shorter (which would be accomplished with better writing alone, rather than each character saying the same thing five ways in conversations) I'd have liked it a lot more.

amolbhatia50k

I picked up these two on a great discount today
Gravity Rush 2
The Last Guardian

Please tell me I haven't fecked up :lol:

Ainu

Gravity Rush 2
The Last Guardian

Weren't you asking about JRPGs? These aren't that. The Last Guardian is worth a playthrough, though it can be pretty janky. It's also included in the PS Plus Collection so if you're a subscriber you could've had it at no extra cost. Gravity Rush 2 is supposed to be decent, but I've only played the demo so not sure how the full game holds up.

amolbhatia50k

Weren't you asking about JRPGs? These aren't that. The Last Guardian is worth a playthrough, though it can be pretty janky. It's also included in the PS Plus Collection so if you're a subscriber you could've had it at no extra cost. Gravity Rush 2 is supposed to be decent, but I've only played the demo so not sure how the full game holds up.
Haven't got a PS5.

On JRPGs it was a general question. Not convinced they're for me! I like games developed by Japanese studios (Nier Automata is absolutely wonderful) but the standard JRPG has always been a bit tedious to me.

Heard Last Guardian is supposed to be good based ACG but may run badly but I'll take that trade off. And GR2 seems to have gotten a lot of good reviews. I've sort of got my Feb games early as I'm still playing DMC 5 plus Hades!

Ainu

Haven't got a PS5.

On JRPGs it was a general question. Not convinced they're for me! I like games developed by Japanese studios (Nier Automata is absolutely wonderful) but the standard JRPG has always been a bit tedious to me.

Heard Last Guardian is supposed to be good based ACG but may run badly but I'll take that trade off. And GR2 seems to have gotten a lot of good reviews. I've sort of got my Feb games early as I'm still playing DMC 5 plus Hades!
Oh right I completely forgot the collection is only available on PS5.

amolbhatia50k

Also on DMC5 and Hades, the former been good fun so far. And the bow in Hades can feck off.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Also on DMC5 and Hades, the former been good fun so far. And the bow in Hades can feck off.
The bow is probably the least fun weapon but weirdly the easiest to beat the game with once you power up and figure out the best boons to get, because a lot of the later fights are much easier from range.

amolbhatia50k

The bow is probably the least fun weapon but weirdly the easiest to beat the game with once you power up and figure out the best boons to get, because a lot of the later fights are much easier from range.
I just found the gun easier from range as well as the spear given the lack of charge times. I've only cleared the game with those two so I'm definitely a range player right now. With the Spear I loved it's special as you can backstab as well. Mele weapons like the sword and fists I have yet to get defent with. Right now I'm on a shield run where I've got the Zeus special is slow but seems good.

caid

Also random question. So my MacBook is approaching its final shelf life and I’m thinking about getting a gaming laptop next time around. Can anyone advise on 1) are they worth the money? And 2) if they are which one would be worth buying?

I’m not particularly bothered about being able to play everything in ultra high but I’d love to get half decent performance and be able to play games like modded Skyrim, the Xbox/gamepass catelogue etc. I feel like if that isn’t cost effective I’ll just end up picking up an Xbox down the line as well but I’d probably prefer to have a halfway competent gaming laptop for portability and to open up some different games.
Gaming Laptops are never great. They need to be big and heavy to get a decent graphics card with some airflow into them. They still wont have enough airflow, will be burning hot running the most basic shit and cost a fortune. You could spend a grand and get nintendo switch like performance on a bulky, heavy laptop.
Or just buy a basic laptop, it'll run 5+ year old games and most indie games.

Gravity Rush 2
The Last Guardian

I loved the Last Guardian. Animations are very impressive, you stand next to a chest high wall and the character will lean on it and look around. It just has hundreds and hundreds of animations for the most random stuff, i think theres probably about half a dozen chest high walls in a pretty long game but they animated the crap out of it. You lean off walls, have dozens of frames for going up a step. Same with Trico, lots of random tells that you dont really figure out what they mean for 12 hours and then they make sense, him moving his head vaguely to the left means hes hungry, i see, kind of stuff. You start to see why it was in development hell forever but its resulted in something really impressive.
I just really like the developer too and its up to their previous standard so easy to like. Well designed environment, enemies, story, music. I can see how it wont be for everyone but i loved it.

b82REZ

I adored The Last Guardian but I think it's a proper marmite title.

A lot of people get annoyed by Trico's randomness, but I think that really adds to the immersion of a young boy trying to control a mythical beast.