Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Alright fellow gamers, sell me the concept of replaying games. I'm not a completions and ticking stuff of my checklist is very rarely going to be something I will bother with. So I don't care much for trophies. And for me, my weekend gaming is important to me as during the weekdays I just 15-20 mins at best. Hence I tend to want to feel I've made tangible progress.

Keeping this mind, what would be the point of replaying games? On one hand the only games (mostly) I've played are the ones I've fallen head over heels for - Witcher 3 (3 times), Outer Wilds (3 times) , Deus Ex (feck knows how many times. But that's like watching one of your favourite movies again. On the other hand I sometimes wonder if I should he squeezing more out of games I buy? So, other than trophies etc what makes you want to replay a game ? An example of my take is - DMC5 can't imagine playing it a second time (on my first run currently) to get S ranks, or RE2 remake didn't even play a B story as I've heard it's very similar. Or maybe in both these cases the second run would be more fun than I think?

This isn't a knock on anyone. To each there on. I'm just wondering if I should give replaying games more of a chance, I guess?

amolbhatia50k

Dmc 5 is fecking awesome. There aren't enough games that have the option to give you a proper controller breaking challenge.
My hand hasn't hurt this much since.. nevermind.

But yeah the game does adrenaline so well.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Alright fellow gamers, sell me the concept of replaying games. I'm not a completions and ticking stuff of my checklist is very rarely going to be something I will bother with. So I don't care much for trophies. And for me, my weekend gaming is important to me as during the weekdays I just 15-20 mins at best. Hence I tend to want to feel I've made tangible progress.

Keeping this mind, what would be the point of replaying games? On one hand the only games (mostly) I've played are the ones I've fallen head over heels for - Witcher 3 (3 times), Outer Wilds (3 times) , Deus Ex (feck knows how many times. But that's like watching one of your favourite movies again. On the other hand I sometimes wonder if I should he squeezing more out of games I buy? So, other than trophies etc what makes you want to replay a game ? An example of my take is - DMC5 can't imagine playing it a second time (on my first run currently) to get S ranks, or RE2 remake didn't even play a B story as I've heard it's very similar. Or maybe in both these cases the second run would be more fun than I think?

This isn't a knock on anyone. To each there on. I'm just wondering if I should give replaying games more of a chance, I guess?
I don't tend to do it. Unless there's new ground I haven't covered, I feel like replaying a game is a waste of time personally.

Bosws87

Only replay if its incredible or there's been so long in time that's passed its like playing the game all over again.

Never been one for replaying games or collecting trophies just finish the story and that's the game done for x amount of years.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

You'll never be a scholar about representation of travel and adventure in Uncharted 3 if you don't replay it at least once a week.

Last edited:

Ainu

It's really simple to me: when you've finished a particular game, do you want more of it? If the answer is no, there's clearly no point replaying it, even if subsequent playthroughs change stuff. Same with trophies, if I truly love the game it can be a great excuse to continue playing after I've finished it. It can give you purpose.

The key thing is that you still want more of the game.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I've been playing Far Cry 6 for the past 2 weeks, brilliant game, although it is samey with the other Far Cry games so if you love that kind of shit it's brilliant;

One thing I do find is that as I get nearer to the end of a game, especially an open world one, I just want it to end so I can start another one. I usually pick my next one before I finish, maybe I should stop doing that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

If by B story you mean Claire, then I would go for it. There's enough in her story that makes it different to Leon's journey in escaping Racoon City plus its shorter too.

To be honest, I actually prefer her story mode.

amolbhatia50k

If by B story you mean Claire, then I would go for it. There's enough in her story that makes it different to Leon's journey in escaping Racoon City plus its shorter too.

To be honest, I actually prefer her story mode.
I've probably forgotten his story though :lol:

But I probably should

amolbhatia50k

It's really simple to me: when you've finished a particular game, do you want more of it? If the answer is no, there's clearly no point replaying it, even if subsequent playthroughs change stuff. Same with trophies, if I truly love the game it can be a great excuse to continue playing after I've finished it. It can give you purpose.

The key thing is that you still want more of the game.
I think I might just be someone who wants to move on to the next one. With games like Witcher 3 and Deus Ex I just didn't want to leave them so it's a rare feeling.

But then with stuff like Bloodborne I never tried for Chalace Dungeons so I wonder if I'm too trigger happy sometimes. (Or resi side b)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

In case of DMC it's to challenge myself to beat harder difficulties, but that's not really a 1on1 replay since the game becomes different and more difficult. Other games like Witcher 3, you can do things very diffirently which warrants the odd replay for me. Lastly, I like replaying older games I played in my youth, like I'm currently doing with the Suikoden games to just relive them. The silly tunes instantly take me back to me playing them as a teen. Just plain old nostalgia.

I never replay a game just after finishing it though, like with RE2 remake. feck that. Actually I bought RE2 remake, played it for 20 minute and thought meh, this game is shite and haven't touched in since. I must've wasted 100s if not 1000s of euros this way.

amolbhatia50k

In case of DMC it's to challenge myself to beat harder difficulties, but that's not really a 1on1 replay since the game becomes different and more difficult. Other games like Witcher 3, you can do things very diffirently which warrants the odd replay for me. Lastly, I like replaying older games I played in my youth, like I'm currently doing with the Suikoden games to just relive them. The silly tunes instantly take me back to me playing them as a teen. Just plain old nostalgia.

I never replay a game just after finishing it though, like with RE2 remake. feck that. Actually I bought RE2 remake, played it for 20 minute and thought meh, this game is shite and haven't touched in since. I must've wasted 100s if not 1000s of euros this way.
Other than difficulty (im playing devil hunter? mode) does the second run add something, maybe cosmetic changes etc?

I actually really liked RE2 remake but I played it on hardcore, and after getting traumatized by Mr. X for hours on end, there was no way I was going to willfully to back to panicking at the sight of him.

Bosws87

Ahh the Steam Sale :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Other than difficulty (im playing devil hunter? mode) does the second run add something, maybe cosmetic changes etc?

I actually really liked RE2 remake but I played it on hardcore, and after getting traumatized by Mr. X for hours on end, there was no way I was going to willfully to back to panicking at the sight of him.
More and different enemies. The more advanced enemies will appear earlier and bossrs have some new moves. It's still largely the same game of course. You do also still unlock more stuff for the characters, since you don't get enough red orbs to unlock all in 1 go.

Dmc has always been made specifically to play through multiple times.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ahh the Steam Sale :lol:
No it's worse than that. I just buy brand new games without doing any research into whether I'd like them, hardly (if at all) play them and never touch them again. A Steam sale is at least a good deal. I just buy stuff full price.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

I don't make a habit out of playing games more than once, it's just the odd game that makes me play again and it's not usually anything to do with trophies or completion, it's usually more to do with me just really enjoying the game and not wanting to stop playing it. Take the OG Doom. I have rinsed through that so many times on PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and even on PS5. Even though it's old now, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of just playing it. I love the environments, the sound and the action and even though I pretty much know each level inside out the fun never diminishes.

Same for Skyrim. There's not much I haven't done now on that game, 4 x 200+ hour games and I still enjoy dipping back in. Why? Because I do. Sometimes I just enjoy walking around the place being badass in my Nightingale Armour. Very similar to watching my favourite movies over and over, it's a feeling thing.

The last game I played over was Hellblade: Senuas Sacrifice and that was largely down to the final 3rd of the game. It was so well crafter in that last section that by the time the game ends, you still want more. Played that one 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed it and will no doubt play it a 4th time too.

I think I'm trying to say that some games, like some films and music, stir an emotional response from me that transcends the 'hey, this is fun' games. Every now and then you play, watch or listen to something that actually affects you deep inside. There's no way I could grind through a game I didn't really love and also, there's no way I could grind through a game like TLOU2 again. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, 10/10 but it was a slog and I'm not sure what I'd get from starting it again.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Slightly OT here, but for years I've been using console apps for my streaming needs but got fed up with them so I recently bought an Apple TV 4k box and the difference is night and day. It has the slickest interface UI I've come across. And the new remote is awesome.

Highly recommand this thing to anyone thinking about it. It's pure convenience. though. It doesn't do much that the consoles don't do.

amolbhatia50k

Interesting thing about Hades difficulty is that 25 runs in, I hadn't cleared it once and it's not like I was close so contemplated turning God Mode on. Thankfully I didn't (not for more than a few chambers) and now I've cleared in 4 times in 31 runs. I know it's nothing major as I'm not really good enough to do many of the pacts and all that level x heat stuff (I'll probably give it a shot) but I found it funny how it shifted for me.

I want to try and clear the game with each weapon once then I'll do 4 more clears with some pacts to get the main ending. Not sure how much after that the game will hold my attention.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Can't think of many I actually clear and then replay, though I often get way too bored to complete and then end up restarting from scratch multiple times.

I have been meaning to finally try the Deus Ex: Redux as it's been far too long out of that world. Though I'm also considering playing Bioshock in VR (I think System Shock 2 in that will be way too much for my heart :lol:)

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Can't think of many I actually clear and then replay, though I often get way too bored to complete and then end up restarting from scratch multiple times.

I have been meaning to finally try the Deus Ex: Redux as it's been far too long out of that world. Though I'm also considering playing Bioshock in VR (I think System Shock 2 in that will be way too much for my heart :lol:)
Have you played the malkavian mod? It's bananas

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Did anyone download the Death Stranding DLC in the end and if so was it worth it ?

b82REZ

Did anyone download the Death Stranding DLC in the end and if so was it worth it ?
It didn't add a huge amount of additional content, but for a 5er it's worth it if you enjoyed the original cut.

I am disappointed by how little it utilised the DualSense though. I thought Kojima would have a field day with that.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Is the game 'This War Of Mine: Complete Edition' any good? It's 91% discounted on Switch at the moment...

b82REZ

Is the game 'This War Of Mine: Complete Edition' any good? It's 91% discounted on Switch at the moment...
I've had it on PC for years but never really gotten into it.

I'm always tempted to grab it on the Switch when I see it on sale but then I think it'll just end up another game I buy, play for an hour and forget about.

I bought The Hong Kong Massacre the other day for Switch. It's basically Hotline Miami meets Max Payne.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I've had it on PC for years but never really gotten into it.

I'm always tempted to grab it on the Switch when I see it on sale but then I think it'll just end up another game I buy, play for an hour and forget about.

I bought The Hong Kong Massacre the other day for Switch. It's basically Hotline Miami meets Max Payne.
I saw this... Let me know if it's good (if you get to play it)

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Fury Unleashed is a pretty good little side scrolling co op shooter in case anyone has the inkling for another rogue-lite. Nothing groundbreaking but pretty good fun, especially with a mate.

Ainu

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Currently at 78 so perhaps not great, but not bad either. It's getting mixed reviews but Eurogamer's recommendation and Gameinformer 9.5 show that at least for some people, it could be great. As a fan of the original (especially in co-op), I'll take that! It could've been a complete train wreck due to its development hell, great to see it isn't.
Yeah i'll probably get it still. Seems like it's a fun game at least.

Some reviewers mentioned it's buggy as hell, wonder if they had the day one patch?

Ainu

Yeah i'll probably get it still. Seems like it's a fun game at least.

Some reviewers mentioned it's buggy as hell, wonder if they had the day one patch?
Not sure, but waiting a little while is always advisable. One thing Techland have going for them is that they've continued to support the original game for a very long time after its release. Pretty much until very recently actually, and that was a game from 2015.

Irwin99

Never played Dying Light 1 but looking at the reviews for 2 it doesn't seem to be offering much in a world saturated with open world games (and two huge ones coming out this month). I could be wrong though.

Maybe i'm just being harsh but usually with Metacritic scores I take 5-10 points off them in my expectations for a game, e.g., if something gets 70-81 you're probably not looking at a very good game at all rather than being one that's merely decent. Not always applicable though.