Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Saw this on NeoGaf - pretty interesting discussion on Twitter about what cheats/tricks developers use to help the player experience in games:

Article:
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/9/2/16247112/video-game-developer-secrets

Twitter thread:

Such as:

Not sure if it was mentioned, but the tutorial in Halo 2 asked player to look up. Their input determined whether y-axis would be inverted.

Assassin's Creed and Doom value the last bit of health as more hit points than the rest of it to encourage a feeling of *JUST* surviving.

Add HP +1 to a destroyed enemy Spacecraft until you're sure its in camera view to show players more explosions and spectacle on screen.

Most of the projectiles in Titanfall 2 have hitboxes that expand as they travel, so it's slightly easier to hit fast targets at range.

In DmC, off screen enemies slow down or stop their attack patterns, to avoid hits from blindspots + allow players to fight larger numbers.

I read once that if enemies miss in half life 2, the bullets are sent in a trajectory calculated to be the most *interesting*.

The Bloody-Nine

Apparently Horizon Zero Dawn only renders what is in the player's line of sight.

I watched a youtube video on this topic the other day. Some of those listed above were mentioned.

The Bloody-Nine

Rockstar has announced L.A. Noire for PlayStation 4, Switch and Xbox One. Those who own a HTC Vive will see self-contained cases from the game released.

L.A. Noire will be released on the consoles and HTC Vive November 14.

The Switch version of the title is the complete, original game and comes with all downloadable content. It has been enhanced to include a Joy-Con mode with gyroscopic, gesture-based controls, HD rumble and new wide and over-the-shoulder camera angles. It also includes contextual touch screen controls so players can take it on-the-go.

L.A. Noire for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is also the complete version with previously released DLC.

It has been updated to include enhanced lighting and clouds, new cinematic camera angles, high resolution textures and more. It also plays natively in 1080p for both consoles as well as 4K for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Downloadable content for the game, which was originally released on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2011, includes the following cases and extra content: the Broderick and Sharpshooter Detective Suits, Badge Pursuit Challenge and Button Man Suit, the Naked City Vice Case, a Traffic Case called A Slip Of The Tongue, the Nicholson Electroplating Arson Case, the Vice Case Refer Madness, and a Traffic Case titles The Consul’s Car.

L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files for HTC Vive will contain seven, self-contained cases from the game rebuilt specifically for virtual reality. Information on these cases were not available as of press time, but we’re looking into it.

Again, L.A. Noire will be released on the aforementioned platforms November 14. We’ll provide more information when it becomes available.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/09/07/l-...-one-in-november-with-some-nice-enhancements/

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Don't know of this is the right thread, but here goes.

Can anyone recommend a game for PS4 when I previously loved GTA, Far Cry, Counterstrike and MGS?

The Bloody-Nine

I'm thinking an open world shooter. You play with friends? If so, Ghost Recon: Wildlands can be a lot of fun.

Bojan11

What's going on with this loot crate crazy?

Every week there's controversy about it. This week its Battlefront 2.

As developers @Redlambs @Alock1 what are your thoughts on it?

Shadow of war apparently let's you finish the game quicker if you buy loots. Otherwise you'd be grinding for a bit.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Project Spark developer innit, good one!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
What's going on with this loot crate crazy?

Every week there's controversy about it. This week its Battlefront 2.

As developers @Redlambs @Alock1 what are your thoughts on it?

Shadow of war apparently let's you finish the game quicker if you buy loots. Otherwise you'd be grinding for a bit.
I think my thoughts on this kind of thing have already been made clear. Years ago.

Project Spark developer innit, good one!
Still sucks that didn't work :(

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Seems to be quite the uproar about them. Never something that bothered me as it’s simply not something id ever considering purchasing

Why the uproar now? Hasn’t Fifa done this for years with that ultimate teams thing?

Bojan11

Seems to be quite the uproar about them. Never something that bothered me as it’s simply not something id ever considering purchasing

Why the uproar now? Hasn’t Fifa done this for years with that ultimate teams thing?
Yeah but Fifa has a specific mode for that. If you don't wanna do UT, you have career, clubs, and seasons.

Where as some of these loot crates are being forced into single player and multiplayer.

Games like Shadow of War, Forza or WWE do not need them.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Yeah but Fifa has a specific mode for that. If you don't wanna do UT, you have career, clubs, and seasons.

Where as some of these loot crates are being forced into single player and multiplayer.

Games like Shadow of War, Forza or WWE do not need them.
yeah it does sound shitty

At lease with all the talk about it, its likely they wont do it again. Assuming sales dont meet their expectations.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
If people weren't buying them, they wouldn't put them in there. Sadly, people do and in their droves.
they do, but this seems to be the biggest reaction to loot boxes that I have seen

Also I read Forza sales were down so far. If same happens to Mordor it will make them think twice

I also keep reading conflicting reports on how bad / not bad Mordor's loot boxes are. IF it really does not interfere with the game I couldnt give a feck if they are there or not

Blind

I think Forza's sales are because of franchise fatigue than loot boxes, I doubt the general public are that aware of them or even know they exist. The biggest offender of micro transactions for me is NBA 2K which is ridiculously stingy with in game currency.

The Bloody-Nine

Call of Duty (Black Ops 3) has weapons locked behind supply drops. You can open these supply drops by playing the game and earning cryptokeys (it takes a long time to earn enough to open a rare supply drop).....or you can spend real money on CoD points in order to get them. The supply drops are basically a fruit machine with a ridiculously miserable drop rate for ranged weapons (and you can get duplicates). There is also an element of pay to win to top off the shit sandwich because the locked weapons are some of the best in the game.

As usual, when it comes to shite in games, CoD leads the way. I haven't played Infinite Warfare so I'm not sure whether that system is the same. I know CoDWW2 is going to be rife with microtransactions. But hey, these will be aesthetic only....

..."on launch". :lol:

The Bloody-Nine

Yeah, when it comes to gouging every last penny out of kids (and let's be honest, the majority of CoD players are kids), Activision are in a league of their own.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
fecking micro transactions are bullshit. The internet is one of the best and worst things to happen to gaming.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
they do, but this seems to be the biggest reaction to loot boxes that I have seen

Also I read Forza sales were down so far. If same happens to Mordor it will make them think twice

I also keep reading conflicting reports on how bad / not bad Mordor's loot boxes are. IF it really does not interfere with the game I couldnt give a feck if they are there or not
I think Mordor has like record pre-orders, thing has already sold like crazy.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'm struggling to find a couple of things...
We're working on getting me a pc-setup in our storage-room, for that we'll need a desk/table+chair+cabinet-modul.

I've got a double-break in my spine, so I'll need to find the chair on my own as I need to test it to figure if I'm able to get the angle I need to minimize the pains that will be there. That said, I did try out a AKRacing chair which seemed to give me the angles I need, despite googling showing that gaming-chair (especially "racing-gaming-chairs") not being ergonomic I wonder If i maybe should go with that.
Definitely skipping DX chairs as they have had some bad reviews while paying (by giving free chairs to youtubers) for good reviews. Maybe I just think the AKRacing chair was good because I'm used to sitting in a couch? if so any proper chair should be an upgrade.

But for a table, we've agreed that a corner-table is the best choice as we have around 160cm to the left and about 180 cm to the right (though less would be better as I'd like for it to be more natural to get in and out than cramping through the space between the door and desk). Optimal probably 140-160 on the left and around 140-160 on the right.

I want the option of having 3 screens and a designated place for a laptop.
Been looking at something like this:
http://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/products/S69022269/
Also liked this handy thing as I expect to have my tablet around 24/7 and often plugged into the pc so I get better mirroring quality.
As for a place to have stuff, I found this module in the same series.

Anyone having alternatives for tables, or their own experiences to add when building these places?
Here is an image of something similar to what I want in the end, just within the space we have:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think my thoughts on this kind of thing have already been made clear. Years ago.
BTW @Bojan11 I wasn't being arsey with you here mate, it could read that way though :) I've said from the very first DLC we'd get closer and closer to games being sold in parts but the main base being full price and have always been very against it.

But with mobile gaming making a fortune, this is why it's such a thing now. It's not about needing to make the money, games rake in a fortune (and if they were that bothered they could get rid of the ridiculous team sizes and develop games properly again), it's pure greed. They see a slice of a market they want and they know damn well there's plenty of fools to part from their money.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
fecking micro transactions are bullshit. The internet is one of the best and worst things to happen to gaming.
It's getting quite ridiculous at this point, it used to be just cosmetic items, which is fine by me, i don't spend money on it but some people do. Then FIFA UT and Hearthstone expanded on it and now it's getting more and more common that simple progress can be hidden behind a paywall.

The worst example yet i have come across has to be Fortnite, great game, but progress is pretty much locked behind buying "llamas"

Bojan11

EA closing visceral studios who were doing a new Star Wars game. Basically saying they not interested in single player game where they cannot put micro transactions in.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Just curious if anyone still plays battlefield 1? I'm still an avid fan and always looking for a cheeky teammate to PTFO. Reply to this with your gamertag on PS4 and we can F*** shit up.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
EA closing visceral studios who were doing a new Star Wars game. Basically saying they not interested in single player game where they cannot put micro transactions in.
Another one bites the dust.