Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
fecking micro transactions are bullshit. The internet is one of the best and worst things to happen to gaming.
I agree. I bought Madden 18 recently, and despite the game itself being incredibly good, it is annoying that there are certain game modes that are locked / restricted behind what are effectively paywalls. The ultimate team mode is fine, but there are modes such as Draft Champions that now cost 'tickets' to enter them - even if played single player against the computer. You also get constant notifications about different legend players that are available for your ultimate team, yet to get the ones you want would require you to either be extremely lucky, or force you to buy coins etc so you can buy them in auction.

It feels with more and more games that they are trying to artificially lengthen the lifespan of games through either a dripfeed of content, or making the grind so slow. I have played Madden ever since the first version on the Megadrive - and have always put a lot of time into each version. I don't need anything to 'lengthen' the lifespan of the game - just playing the game itself is good.

It is similar with other games, like GTA and The Division. I am looking forward to Assassin's Creed Origin this week, but hearing that they have introduced more RPG elements into it just makes me wonder whether it will again feel too much like a grind.

Maxii

Paad
I refuse to buy any game made by EA because of micro transactions. Even if I'm desperate to play the game I still won't. The only thing that will stop it is if enough people flat out refuse to buy their games until they change their policies

The Bloody-Nine

In theory, yes. Probably is a game like CoD is making more money from micro transactions than game sales. People are buying them. A shitload of people. They are going nowhere, unless the Government steps in or something. And that seems unlikely given what PEGI have said recently.

Utdstar01

Too many games to play at the minute. I'm resisting the urge to fork out at the moment, still have Shadow of War and Fifa to keep me occupied.

The Bloody-Nine

F*cking hell, this game is hard. I stupidly bumped the difficulty level up one. Must have died 100 times on the first level.

Blind

Has anyone bought Assassin's Creed Origins? It looks like another beautiful setting with mechanics and animation still stuck in 2008 but obviously I haven't played the game to know if it feels any different.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Has anyone bought Assassin's Creed Origins? It looks like another beautiful setting with mechanics and animation still stuck in 2008 but obviously I haven't played the game to know if it feels any different.
Just downloading it now

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I've read one or two reviews - crux seems to be something like 'yeah, it's not particularly refreshing, but it's good fun'. Scores seem unanimous that it's actually a good AC, which is promising.

Sounds more like a very pretty open world RPG with stealth play taking a real back seat.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Played a couple hours, some good things some bad.

Looks nice, different to the other ACs, comabt takes some getting used to, kept forgetting the buttons. Story is brutal and some of the kills are pretty nasty too.

The bird thing is a bit shit, don't enjoy that at all, and riding camels and stuff also seems a bit dodgey. Haven't really used skill points or whatever in the tree. The RPG elements of it seem ok so far.

Don't know what to make of it so far really.

Iron Stove

You can really tell they've been influenced by the Witcher 3. They've toned down the amount of bullshit quests and collectibles in this one compared to the last AC I played which was Unity.. I actually really enjoy it, the world looks terrific and the setting is refreshing. The fighting is not perfect but after you get used to it it's quite decent especially compared to older AC titles. Traversal is much less annoying as well. I changed to the alternative controller layout which I think is better.

Performance on PC is all over the place, it's really hard to keep 60 fps even at 1080p for me.

Don't like that there are microtransactions for ingame bonuses like more money to buy / upgrade weapons or ability points but what can you do..

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Deus Ex human revolution is actually quite good once you get over the initial clunky feel of the game. Can't believe I never played this before due to some of the bad reviews. Really enjoying it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Deus Ex human revolution is actually quite good once you get over the initial clunky feel of the game. Can't believe I never played this before due to some of the bad reviews. Really enjoying it.
It is quite good but the side quests are very repetitive. I think that Mankind Divided is better although HR has a better story.

Blind

I see the new Need For Speed is another loot box fest. This is getting out of hand.
Yeah, I've played quite a bit of NFS through EA Access and progress feels artificially slow. The upgrade system is bizarre, it's pot luck which upgrade cards will be available to buy for in game currency and the best upgrade cards are found in a slot machine that you need tokens to use. It's a mess of systems and feels like most of them have been ripped straight out of a free to play game, not to mention the game itself is mediocre.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Microtransactions make more than digital sales for Ubisoft.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...transactions_outearned_digital_game_sales.php

They account for nearly half of Take Two's revenue.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...count_for_nearly_half_of_TakeTwos_revenue.php

F*cking wonderful. In a year we'll be getting microtransactions with games tacked on.
I'm only surprised it isn't more for Take Two. GTA Online is ridiculously profitable for them.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
EA taking a lot of shit for their response to the grind for Star Wars: Battlefront 2 characters. Fans are pissed off that it takes 40 hours to unlock Luke or Vader. EA's response, now the most downvoted post in Reddit history...

It's currently sitting at 233,000 downvotes.

jungledrums

EA taking a lot of shit for their response to the grind for Star Wars: Battlefront 2 characters. Fans are pissed off that it takes 40 hours to unlock Luke or Vader. EA's response, now the most downvoted post in Reddit history...

It's currently sitting at 233,000 downvotes.
Is it really such an objectionable post?

jungledrums

I think so. EA are taking the complete piss.

Imagine buying Fifa and having Real Madrid and Barcelona locked behind a 40 hour grind for credits? Or Batman and Superman in Injustice? It's absurd.
Ahhh right. So let me guess, grind for 40 hours, or pay a small price of X dollars and receive them straight away? I see why there’s outrage.

The Bloody-Nine

It's pretty incredible that in this day and age they think they can pull this kind of shit off without people finding out.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It's pretty incredible that in this day and age they think they can pull this kind of shit off without people finding out.
Hasn't the micro transactions been well publicised? People knew exactly what they were getting themselves into before buying it imo. I'm sure review copies of most games come with stuff cheaper/easier to obtain/ already unlocked?

40 hour grind :lol: child's play!

The Bloody-Nine

Hasn't the micro transactions been well publicised? People knew exactly what they were getting themselves into before buying it imo. I'm sure review copies of most games come with stuff cheaper/easier to obtain/ already unlocked?

40 hour grind :lol: child's play!
Look three posts up. And it's not out yet.

Cutting out bullshit for reviewer's copies so reviews don't then mention it isn't the done thing to my knowledge.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Look three posts up. And it's not out yet.

Cutting out bullshit for reviewer's copies so reviews don't then mention it isn't the done thing to my knowledge.
So what are people moaning about? Just don't drop their money on it, pretty simple.

Also it's our on EA Access I think?