Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Been playing The Forest a fair bit. Have built a base full of traps and killed every type of cannibal now. Not really progressed though the story except for going down a couple of caves.

Downloaded 7 Days To Die at teatime because it's on sale on steam for £6.50 or something. I was thinking about getting Rust, but it's more multiplayer from what I've seen and I want more of a PVE experience. Anyway, I'm off work til Wednesday, so plenty of time to get gud.

Siorac

For some reason I started playing Microprose's Grand Prix World again: it's a fully licensed Formula 1 management game, starting with the 1998 F1 season. I took Minardi who are, of course, dreadful, and now it's 2003 and we are fighting with Ferrari for the title.

Love this game, especially the circuit maps with the stupid little bmp dots - the cars - circling around it. The "TV feed" during races shows the actual photos of tracks, with the rendered cars superimposed onto them. It's fun.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Massive final fantasy sale on the switch eshop at the moment.
I've never played an FF game, which one is the best?

Vii
VIII
Ix
X/x-2
XII
Xv pocket edition
I might actually start with 9 in that case.

But you still have to play 7 before doing the soon to be released remake.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ve just picked up Days Gone recently and been really enjoying it. The amount of zombies they throw at you is insane and while they are easy one on one, you very quickly get overwhelmed. The story is abit naff so far but tbh theres something very satisfying about just heading out on a motorbike into the open world and shooting a feck tonne of zombies.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Just finished getting platinum trophies for Uncharted 1-3 Remastered & Uncharted 4. Might try and do the same for either RDR2, GTA V or COD:MW next.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I’ve just picked up Days Gone recently and been really enjoying it. The amount of zombies they throw at you is insane and while they are easy one on one, you very quickly get overwhelmed. The story is abit naff so far but tbh theres something very satisfying about just heading out on a motorbike into the open world and shooting a feck tonne of zombies.
Hate the handling of the motorbikes, haven't went back to it because of it.

Irwin99

I'm finding The Last Guardian a bit of a chore but i'm near the end so I must finish it. I liked Ico and Loved Shadow of the Colossus but this game has left me very flat.

el3mel

I have been thinking about this lately, but for $40 I'm not sure it's worth it for me considering the premise doesn't attract me that much tbh. Might think about it on a big sale while I have nothing else to play.

Last edited:

el3mel

Playing Control. It feels great to play but the story is a bit arse-y so far. Very try-hard with the mysterious stuff.
Story isn't really the good thing about Control. It's the fast paced action and metroidvania design of the building. Story is just there to progress the game.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Just finished getting platinum trophies for Uncharted 1-3 Remastered & Uncharted 4. Might try and do the same for either RDR2, GTA V or COD:MW next.
Nice going. Any of them you particularly enjoyed/found fine to do?

I'm not a massive trophy hunter but trying to reduce my unearned trophies a bit. Surprised the FIFA 17 servers are still up. I'll never platinum it due to the online trophies with most people moving on to newer games but just getting a few trophies and stuff before moving on to better games.

I've got quite a big PS4 backlog (basically mostly PS+ games). If anyone can take a quick look and say a game or two you'd recommend just for enjoyment or whatever it'd be appreciated.

TrustInJanuzaj

Hate the handling of the motorbikes, haven't went back to it because of it.
Really? I find that one of the better elements, once you get used to it, it does a decent job of simulating speed. I also enjoy generally tinkering the bike and improving it over time.

TrustInJanuzaj

I have been thinking about this lately, but for $40 I'm not sure it's worth it for me considering the premise don't attract me that much tbh. Might think about it on a big sale while I have nothing else to play.
Yeh, I managed to pick it up on a deep sale and I wouldn't personally say its worth full price but if you can get it cheap its actually quite a unique game.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Nice going. Any of them you particularly enjoyed/found fine to do?

I'm not a massive trophy hunter but trying to reduce my unearned trophies a bit. Surprised the FIFA 17 servers are still up. I'll never platinum it due to the online trophies with most people moving on to newer games but just getting a few trophies and stuff before moving on to better games.

I've got quite a big PS4 backlog (basically mostly PS+ games). If anyone can take a quick look and say a game or two you'd recommend just for enjoyment or whatever it'd be appreciated.
I did it almost as a nostalgia trip, I've already platinum'd the first 3 on PS3 initially and felt compelled to play through the remastered 1-3 on PS4 before I played #4 for the first time. In the remastered's, they added another difficulty on top of crushing (which is already quite difficult); 'brutal' which is insanely hard. Probably harder still if you don't already have lots of experience and knowledge on the games. They are great stories though and really fun to play, particularly the first 2, definitely worth playing, if not getting platinum trophies if you don't fancy it.

Damien

Staff
I did it almost as a nostalgia trip, I've already platinum'd the first 3 on PS3 initially and felt compelled to play through the remastered 1-3 on PS4 before I played #4 for the first time. In the remastered's, they added another difficulty on top of crushing (which is already quite difficult); 'brutal' which is insanely hard. Probably harder still if you don't already have lots of experience and knowledge on the games. They are great stories though and really fun to play, particularly the first 2, definitely worth playing, if not getting platinum trophies if you don't fancy it.
Thanks. I've not really delved into the games much but do have 1 remastered. Will have a look at it.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
GameStop: We Can Stay Open During Lockdowns Because We're 'Essential Retail'

The struggling video game retail chain GameStop told all of its stores this afternoon to stay open even in the event of state or city lockdowns to protect against the covid-19 pandemic, emphasizing that it is “essential retail” alongside groceries and pharmacies and should therefore be exempt from enforced closures.

“Due to the products we carry that enable and enhance our customers’ experience in working from home, we believe GameStop is classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time,” the retailer said in a memo to staff this afternoon, obtained by Kotaku.
:lol::houllier:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
They're shameless and close to going under by all accounts.

Signed up to PS Now. 98% garbage on there but a few gems to help pass the time.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Is lowering a difficulty setting a sign of personal gaming weakness ?
Git Gud.

No, I used to try hard gaming achievements (I got the Big Boss emblem in MGS4 and I think it did lasting mental damage and I'm only half-joking) but I have zero interest in it these days since I'm old.

Playing Control right now, it's on normal, aim assist is on and it's very enjoyable.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What game do you need to lower the setting on?
Any type of game atm.

I always saw myself as a capable gamer who could at the least compete at a level just slightly below the top difficulty,used to be a demon on Street fighter for example. But now,either I'm old ,weary and crap or games are just too fast nowadays.

I think Death Stranding and MGS5 are the only two recent games where I've got a hang-on with the pacing at a top level difficulty.

But any other game ? frankly,I'm having a shocker.

el3mel

Git Gud.

No, I used to try hard gaming achievements (I got the Big Boss emblem in MGS4 and I think it did lasting mental damage and I'm only half-joking) but I have zero interest in it these days since I'm old.

Playing Control right now, it's on normal, aim assist is on and it's very enjoyable.
Iirc Control doesn't have difficulty setting. Did they change it or something?

el3mel

Doesn't it? I'm sure I picked something about difficulty, I must check again.
Not sure if they changed it and I don't think it's easy to implement later on but when I played there was no difficulty setting. Just like Souls game, it's one difficulty set up for everyone who plays it, so the experience doesn't differ much from one to another. It was a bold move by them back then.

Damien

Staff
If you don't want to change difficulty settings for a game then it is important to just do it in bits so you don't get frustrated. You could even have a second game to rotate with that is relaxing.

I'm playing Uncharted 1 for the first time and on Crushing difficulty and have made it to chapter 14. My sanity thanks me for doing a few chapters per day and knowing when to stop. I then go back to something I've been stuck on the next day and find it easier, generally... though the bullshit snipers and shotguns still frustrate me.

AaronRedDevil

If you don't want to change difficulty settings for a game then it is important to just do it in bits so you don't get frustrated. You could even have a second game to rotate with that is relaxing.

I'm playing Uncharted 1 for the first time and on Crushing difficulty and have made it to chapter 14. My sanity thanks me for doing a few chapters per day and knowing when to stop. I then go back to something I've been stuck on the next day and find it easier, generally... though the bullshit snipers and shotguns still frustrate me.
You'll be fcked when you get to the boat yard in Ucharted 2. On crushing it's the hardest one in all of them.

AaronRedDevil

The story is a bit wank but the gameplay top fecking notch. Really satisfying to play.

If you're playing it you're better off not collecting the lore pick-ups. Load of obtuse bollocks.
Cool so. I'll check it out. I brought ps plus for the month.

el3mel

Currently playing Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence difficulty. This is the most adrenaline rush I got from a video game since I don't remember when. After each playing session I set for few minutes taking my breath as if I were the one who was shooting and running.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Anyone play control? Any good
The story is a bit wank but the gameplay top fecking notch. Really satisfying to play.

If you're playing it you're better off not collecting the lore pick-ups. Load of obtuse bollocks.
Cool so. I'll check it out. I brought ps plus for the month.
It's a decent, but a bit disappointing. Alan Wake is much better, we need a real sequel.

It's worth a play, the main gripe is they just missed out on really doing something with the atmosphere. Also it runs likes shit on consoles, Remedy really need to get their act together with their engine work, though I will say it's actually a game made for the next generation just 18months too soon.

el3mel

Control was a great fast action paced game with some very good metroidvania design in it. Story was meh but that's not really the attracting point here. It's worth it at any point imo.