Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Delved back into Pes6 last night on the 360. Maybe it's nostalgia but it's still a incredible game.
Zidane is immense. :D

AaronRedDevil

It holds up well, doesn't it
It really does. Never played it before. I played the remake first and now wondering why the hell did they make it so drawn out when it didn’t need to be. The train graveyard was just a few minute area in the original. Always thought MGS 1 was the best PS1 game. How wrong I was. This is coming from a MGS fanboy:D

caid

It really does. Never played it before. I played the remake first and now wondering why the hell did they make it so drawn out when it didn’t need to be. The train graveyard was just a few minute area in the original. Always thought MGS 1 was the best PS1 game. How wrong I was. This is coming from a MGS fanboy:D
I played it again a year or two ago. Played it to death when it was released. The remake was better than i expected tbh, didn't have high expectations but quite enjoyed it. Not a patch on the original though.

AaronRedDevil

I played it again a year or two ago. Played it to death when it was released. The remake was better than i expected tbh, didn't have high expectations but quite enjoyed it. Not a patch on the original though.
True. The remake did a decent job too. Surprised how minimal the others were at the start. Jessie, wedge and biggs weren't throwaway characters and built them up pretty good before the fall. They got Barrets and clouds voice perfected.

el3mel

Don't think I have used a launcher with a worse downloader than Epic Store. Every time I try to download a game it's a torture from start to finish. I have been trying to download Alan Wake - which is only 8 GB - throughout the whole day and last 3 hours I didn't download more than 1.5 GB because of the launcher stuck at 0.00 b/s. Happens almost for every single game I have downloaded from them, the downloading starts on fire then goes down hill at one point. Not to mention that their pausing and resuming downloads is bugged as hell and several times I paused a download to resume it next day and it deleted everything and forced me to start from scratch.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'm sure they've been mentioned on here before but I just had a really lazy weekend and out of a half baked feeling of not knowing what I wanted to do I downloaded and played through Dear Esther again. Looks and runs a lot better on PS5 and I'd totally forgot what a great way to spend a couple of hours it is.

It's so graphically atmospheric and coupled with the narration and amazing soundtrack by Jessica Curry, I got totally absorbed. I completed it and realised I only had one trophy outstanding to 100% it. That trophy was listening to all of the directors commentaries. I decided to play through again and listen to them and noticed a few things I'd missed. I loved it, a great little 2 hour distraction as opposed to watching a film or something.

That reminded me how much I liked Everybody's gone to the rapture, so I've downloaded that and am currently playing through again. This time I'm making sure I hit all of the story points and really taking in the whole map. The story is really engrossing and again, the soundtrack is amazing, especially through headphones.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I really hope the Chinese Room make some more of these games. I know there are other interactive story games out there but Dear Esther and EGTTR really give something otherworldly and almost spiritually affecting. Perfect marriage between visual, subject, story delivery and music.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm sure they've been mentioned on here before but I just had a really lazy weekend and out of a half baked feeling of not knowing what I wanted to do I downloaded and played through Dear Esther again. Looks and runs a lot better on PS5 and I'd totally forgot what a great way to spend a couple of hours it is.

It's so graphically atmospheric and coupled with the narration and amazing soundtrack by Jessica Curry, I got totally absorbed. I completed it and realised I only had one trophy outstanding to 100% it. That trophy was listening to all of the directors commentaries. I decided to play through again and listen to them and noticed a few things I'd missed. I loved it, a great little 2 hour distraction as opposed to watching a film or something.

That reminded me how much I liked Everybody's gone to the rapture, so I've downloaded that and am currently playing through again. This time I'm making sure I hit all of the story points and really taking in the whole map. The story is really engrossing and again, the soundtrack is amazing, especially through headphones.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I really hope the Chinese Room make some more of these games. I know there are other interactive story games out there but Dear Esther and EGTTR really give something otherworldly and almost spiritually affecting. Perfect marriage between visual, subject, story delivery and music.
Great games. They moved away from the narrative style with their last game, which I believe was only available on Apple Arcade. I haven't played it myself but based on the quality of DE and EGttR, the gaming world is certainly richer with them as a developer.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Great games. They moved away from the narrative style with their last game, which I believe was only available on Apple Arcade. I haven't played it myself but based on the quality of DE and EGttR, the gaming world is certainly richer with them as a developer.
Yeah, Little Orpheus, I've just downloaded it and gonna play it on the free 1 month Apple Arcade. I have the soundtrack, sounds a little different to DE and EGTTR.

el3mel

Weird to say it but I'm playing Alan Wake for the first time nowadays. Not sure why I kept on delaying it all these years.

Game still actually looks quite decent for 2010 game.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Weird to say it but I'm playing Alan Wake for the first time nowadays. Not sure why I kept on delaying it all these years.

Game still actually looks quite decent for 2010 game.
I've always loved the game. Something about the story got me, and the gameplay I found more fun than others seemed to. The sequel/spin off American Nightmare is very fun too.

The Control DLC related to it annoyed the hell out of me though.

el3mel

I've always loved the game. Something about the story got me, and the gameplay I found more fun than others seemed to. The sequel/spin off American Nightmare is very fun too.

I bought the Control 2 DLC packages in the last Epic store sale for less than 10-12 dollars combined I believe. Maybe I'll check them after I finish Alan Wake.

This period is dead and there's no new games to play so I felt it's a good chance to revisit some old names I have never played for some reason. I also have Bioshock Infinite to play.

Redlambs

I bought the Control 2 DLC packages in the last Epic store sale for less than 10-12 dollars combined I believe. Maybe I'll check them after I finish Alan Wake.

This period is dead and there's no new games to play so I felt it's a good chance to revisit some old names I have never played for some reason. I also have Bioshock Infinite to play.
Ahh Infinite. What a shame how that turned out in the end, still it's a great experience and again the story got me. I really should get around to the DLCs, but Rapture just didn't seem like Rapture to me.

caid

anyone ever play anthem? I wasted hte time downloading it on Origin and now it won't run all that well. I wonder is it any good
I played it for a bit. Its fun to fly around and just control the different mech's, they really nailed that aspect. Everything else is terrible though. Its worth playing for a few hours just because being iron man is brilliant.

AaronRedDevil

Lads is Ace Attorney any good? The trilogy is on sale there for 20 quid and I'm thinking about getting it.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’m watching the Sonic 30th anniversary thing done by an orchestra on YouTube, it’s awesome

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Anybody played Ender Lilies? Looks good from what I’ve seen

I'm almost done i think, it's quite a bit of fun.
It's not Hollow Knight quality, but if you enjoy combat based metroidvanias then it'll scratch the itch.

el3mel

Finished Alan Wake today. Very good game but the last episode was honestly terrible and brought down my enjoyment of it regarding the gameplay pretty hard and will probably affect my rating as well. Was really a tedious episode and a slog to go through. Episodes 3 to 5 were great. The combat was decent but Alan really sucks hard when it comes to movement and maneuvering around enemies. Had to be intentional though, as he's a writer and not a trained solider, but it made fighting enemies annoying when they circle and hit you from the back and you get surprised by it.

The ending feels like a sequel bait and not a full conclusion to be honest which is weird how 11 years later there's still no part 2.

I heard rumors about a remastered version but actually for 2010 this game still holds up pretty well on the highest settings.

el3mel

I got Resident Evil 7 and Little Nightmares 2 on the current Steam summer sale. Really wanted to play RE7 after I enjoyed Village, because I was skeptical about the first person perspective but Village convinced me.

Will play Little Nightmares 2 first though, since it should be shorter.

el3mel

I also played Miles Morales recently on PS4 as I didn't get PS5 yet. Very good spin off from the main series. Probably not worth 50 dollars but for 30-40 dollars you should squeeze 10 hours or so of everything that made Spider-Man a great game with more improvement.

Redlambs

Finished Alan Wake today. Very good game but the last episode was honestly terrible and brought down my enjoyment of it regarding the gameplay pretty hard and will probably affect my rating as well. Was really a tedious episode and a slog to go through. Episodes 3 to 5 were great. The combat was decent but Alan really sucks hard when it comes to movement and maneuvering around enemies. Had to be intentional though, as he's a writer and not a trained solider, but it made fighting enemies annoying when they circle and hit you from the back and you get surprised by it.

The ending feels like a sequel bait and not a full conclusion to be honest which is weird how 11 years later there's still no part 2.

I heard rumors about a remastered version but actually for 2010 this game still holds up pretty well on the highest settings.
American Nightmare does take the story on, and the Control DLC does even further. There'll be a sequel for sure.

Yeah the movement is clumsy, the dodge mastering is key. The best parts for me are the setting, the story and I did like the feel of the flashlight/weapon combo. And agreed, it does still hold up well thanks to the art direction.

Also the bit at the farm (the rock show) was brilliant, it's why they paid strong homage to it in the best section of Control.

Irwin99

Lads is Ace Attorney any good? The trilogy is on sale there for 20 quid and I'm thinking about getting it.
err....well, it's absolutely ridiculous but it's a lot of fun too if you like that sort of thing. I bought the collection a year back and if you like text adventure stories and investigations and can live with the anime silliness then go for it. I've had a great time with that series.

I'm looking forward to the remaster of The Great Ace Attorney adventures coming out in July.

AaronRedDevil

err....well, it's absolutely ridiculous but it's a lot of fun too if you like that sort of thing. I bought the collection a year back and if you like text adventure stories and investigations and can live with the anime silliness then go for it. I've had a great time with that series.

I'm looking forward to the remaster of The Great Ace Attorney adventures coming out in July.
I'll definitely check it out. I like the anime type silliness anyway. Meaning to get it for a long while now.

el3mel

American Nightmare does take the story on, and the Control DLC does even further. There'll be a sequel for sure.

Yeah the movement is clumsy, the dodge mastering is key. The best parts for me are the setting, the story and I did like the feel of the flashlight/weapon combo. And agreed, it does still hold up well thanks to the art direction.

Also the bit at the farm (the rock show) was brilliant, it's why they paid strong homage to it in the best section of Control.
Yeah the rock show was great. Remedy really do know how to design such sections of rock music playing while shooting enemies, similar to the Ashtray maze in Control, which was by far the best section of the game. Just awesome.

I'll check the Control DLC whenever I have free time since I already bought it recently.

Redlambs

Yeah the rock show was great. Remedy really do know how to design such sections of rock music playing while shooting enemies, similar to the Ashtray maze in Control, which was by far the best section of the game. Just awesome.

I'll check the Control DLC whenever I have free time since I already bought it recently.
Do you remember the song in the Ashtray Maze and who it was by? ;)

Like I say, I highly recommend American Nightmare too. It's dirt cheap and very good for something that was basically DLC.

el3mel

Do you remember the song in the Ashtray Maze and who it was by? ;)

Like I say, I highly recommend American Nightmare too. It's dirt cheap and very good for something that was basically DLC.
I went on and checked, it's actually the same band : the old gods of Asgard. :lol:

I found American Nightmare to be for 4 dollars on Epic Store. For such price I'll take my chance with it.

Redlambs

I went on and checked, it's actually the same band : the old gods of Asgard. :lol:
Yep, there's tons of references to Alan Wake in Control, even before the DLC. Dylan for example when talking about the universes in one of his "dreams" says in one universe a write writes about a cop, in another that cop is real. Stuff like that. Also Thomas Zane is mentioned numerous times (the spaceman poet thing in AW).

I found American Nightmare to be for 4 dollars on Epic Store. For such price I'll take my chance with it.
Well worth it. It's a very cool side take on it.

el3mel

Yep, there's tons of references to Alan Wake in Control, even before the DLC. Dylan for example when talking about the universes in one of his "dreams" says in one universe a write writes about a cop, in another that cop is real. Stuff like that. Also Thomas Zane is mentioned numerous times (the spaceman poet thing in AW).

Well worth it. It's a very cool side take on it.
Yeah, I knew earlier that Control and Alan Wake are supposed to be set in the same universe, which was a cool move by Remedy. That's why I ultimately wanted to play Alan Wake so that I get the full package.