Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
They finally announced 8th November for the console release of the risk of rain 2 dlc.

They also rebuilt the base game from the ground up to get rid of all the crazy bugs that were in the console version.

One of my favourite rogue lites of all time

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think it deserves it but let's be honest, it'll get nominated at the very least.
Only if Spider-Man and John Wick 2 are outside the nomination period. Based on the critical reception, Sea of Stars, Dead Space Remake and Street Fighter 6 would also be ahead.

b82REZ

Only if Spider-Man and John Wick 2 are outside the nomination period. Based on the critical reception, Sea of Stars, Dead Space Remake and Street Fighter 6 would also be ahead.
The first Bethesda developed game in almost 15 years will definitely get one of the nominations.

I agree the others deserve it more but there will be a certain amount of politicking when it comes to GoTY.

Dead Space would be my pick for that spot with Spidey or Alan Wake taking the sixth spot. I can see Alan Wake pipping Spiderman due to Insomniac not "reinventing the genre" with this entry.

Ainu

Desperate news for the handful of people still looking forward to it: Skull and Bones has been delayed once again! Don't worry though, next year is their year!

amolbhatia50k

Sooooo has anyone got a subscription to EA Play? I’m thinking of getting it for a month as they’ve added Dead Space remake. Playing a 2023 title that’s well received for just 10 per cent of its retail price is a great deal. I was wondering what other games you would rate to also play during the coming month. I was thinking either FIFA 23 (pukes) or NFS Unbound.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sooooo has anyone got a subscription to EA Play? I’m thinking of getting it for a month as they’ve added Dead Space remake. Playing a 2023 title that’s well received for just 10 per cent of its retail price is a great deal. I was wondering what other games you would rate to also play during the coming month. I was thinking either FIFA 23 (pukes) or NFS Unbound.
Mass effect legendary edition and jedi fallen order are worth playing if you haven't already.

NFS heat isn't too bad and a bit of a throwback to the underground days in some respects. Not as good but better than some of the previous installments.

amolbhatia50k

Mass effect legendary edition and jedi fallen order are worth playing if you haven't already.

NFS heat isn't too bad and a bit of a throwback to the underground days in some respects. Not as good but better than some of the previous installments.
Played FO and have ME on PS Plus.

Bit out of touch with racing games but Unbounds reviews don’t seem too bad. Might just give the terrible FIFA 23 a go to fix us in career mode. No doubt I’ll hate myself every time I play it.

b82REZ

I bought Unbound this weekend. I'm a sucker for Criterion's games and I am enjoying it; however that comes with the caveat you immediately turn off the irritating banter. I have no idea who devs think they're appealing to with these attempts at being down with the kids. Also, for some the cartoony overlays may be distracting and don't add anything to the gameplay; but again I think they can be switched off in the settings.

Overall all though it's a pretty solid arcade racer; I just wish it had more Car-PG elements, as other than cosmetics you can't improve your car, unless you unlock that later.

Selbourne

I got The Talos Principle 2 the other day. I remember the first one being a really solid puzzle game and i've found myself really enjoying the puzzles again for this one.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I got sucked back into Crusader Kings 3. I saw a YouTube video of someone conquering the entire world. Seems insane, but feck it, I'll try.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I got The Talos Principle 2 the other day. I remember the first one being a really solid puzzle game and i've found myself really enjoying the puzzles again for this one.
How are you finding it? I absolutely loved the first game so will get it eventually. The puzzles were good but I liked the philosophical aspects of the game more.

Selbourne

How are you finding it? I absolutely loved the first game so will get it eventually. The puzzles were good but I liked the philosophical aspects of the game more.
I'm not too far into it I think but I'm really vibing with it. It doesn't shy away from the philosophical aspects at all but embraces it. The main difference between this and the first game is that this one has a lot more talking and exploring where's I remember the first one being more reading

Bebe

Did this for a month with Starfield and GP console, felt like being able to rent a game like back in the old days. Will probably "rent" it for another month once they do the HDR patch and finish up with the game.

Dead Space makes even more sense being a linear, story driven game with a reasonable playtime.

Ainu

Finished a couple more games.

- Nier Replicant v1.22: never played the original but I loved Nier Automata, so wanted to check out where it all started (more or less, technically it started with Drakengard I guess). I'm conflicted about this one. I liked what was there, but the amount of content the game asks you to replay (some of it several times) to get the full story and all endings is absurd. Repetition is absolutely this game's worst enemy, something Automata also had to a certain extent, but still handled much better than this game. I can't really recommend it.

- The Pathless: really enjoyable. Beautiful game world, excellent movement, fun little puzzles and some really cool boss fights. Some people might find it insultingly easy, as the puzzles are often trivial and you can't really fail any of the boss fights, but it didn't bother me. It's a very calming experience. There's definitely repetition here as well, especially if you're going for full completion, but it was fun, so again, didn't bother me. Recommended.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The Game Awards 2023 nominees have been announced - 31 categories in all.

Game of the Year
Alan Wake 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Marvel's Spider-Man 2
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Games sorted by number of categories nominated in:
8 - Alan Wake 2 (Game of the Year, Best Game Direction, Best Narrative, Best Art Direction, Best Score and Music, Best Audio Design, Best Performance, Best Action / Adventure)
8 - Baldur's Gate 3 (Game of the Year, Best Game Direction, Best Narrative, Best Score and Music, Best Performance, Best Community Support, Best RPG, Best Multiplayer)
7 - Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (Game of the Year, Best Game Direction, Best Narrative, Best Audio Design, Best Performance, Innovation in Accessibility, Best Action / Adventure)
5 - Hi-Fi Rush (Best Art Direction, Best Score and Music, Best Audio Design, Innovation in Accessibility, Best Action Game)
5 - Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Game of the Year, Best Game Direction, Best Art Direction, Best Family, Best Multiplayer)
5 - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Game of the Year, Best Game Direction, Best Art Direction, Best Score and Music, Best Action / Adventure)
4 - Final Fantasy XVI (Best Narrative, Best Score and Music, Best Performance, Best RPG)
3 - Resident Evil 4 (Game of the Year, Best Audio Design, Best Action / Adventure)
3 - Street Fighter 6 (Innovation in Accessibility, Best Fighting, Best Multiplayer)
2 - Cocoon (Best Independent Game, Best Debut Indie Game)
2 - Cyberpunk 2077 (Best Ongoing, Best Community Support)
2 - Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (Best Narrative, Best Performance)
2 - Diablo IV (Innovation in Accessibility, Best Multiplayer)
2 - Dredge (Best Independent Game, Best Debut Indie Game)
2 - Final Fantasy XIV (Best Ongoing, Best Community Support)
2 - Forza Motorsport (Innovation in Accessibility, Best Sports / Racing)
2 - Lies of P (Best Art Direction, Best RPG)
2 - Mortal Kombat 1 (Innovation in Accessibility, Best Fighting)
2 - Party Animals (Best Family, Best Multiplayer)
2 - Pikmin 4 (Best Family, Best Sim / Strategy)
2 - Sea of Stars (Best Independent Game, Best RPG)
2 - Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (Best Performance, Best Action / Adventure)
2 - Terra Nil (Games for Impact, Best Mobile Game)
2 - Venba (Games for Impact, Best Debut Indie Game)
2 - Viewfinder (Best Independent Game, Best Debut Indie Game)
1 - A Space for the Unbound (Games for Impact)
1 - Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp (Best Sim / Strategy)
1 - Apex Legends (Best Ongoing)
1 - Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (Best Action Game)
1 - Chants of Sennaar (Games for Impact)
1 - Cities: Skylines II (Best Sim / Strategy)
1 - Company of Heroes 3 (Best Sim / Strategy)
1 - Dave the Diver (Best Independent Game)
1 - Dead Island 2 (Best Action Game)
1 - Dead Space (Best Audio Design)
1 - Destiny 2 (Best Community Support)
1 - Disney Illusion Island (Best Family)
1 - EA Sports FC 24 (Best Sports / Racing)
1 - F1 23 (Best Sports / Racing)
1 - Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis (Best Mobile Game)
1 - Fire Emblem Engage (Best Sim / Strategy)
1 - Fortnite (Best Ongoing)
1 - Genshin Impact (Best Ongoing)
1 - Ghostrunner 2 (Best Action Game)
1 - God of Rock (Best Fighting)
1 - Goodbye Volcano High (Games for Impact)
1 - Gran Turismo 7 (Best VR / AR)
1 - Hello Kitty Island Adventure (Best Mobile Game)
1 - Honkai: Star Rail (Best Mobile Game)
1 - Horizon Call of the Mountain (Best VR / AR)
1 - Hot Wheels Unleashed 2: Turbocharged (Best Sports / Racing)
1 - Humanity (Best VR / AR)
1 - Monster Hunter Now (Best Mobile Game)
1 - Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2 (Best Fighting)
1 - No Man's Sky (Best Community Support)
1 - Pizza Tower (Best Debut Indie Game)
1 - Pocket Bravery (Best Fighting)
1 - Remnant 2 (Best Action Game)
1 - Resident Evil Village VR Mode (Best VR / AR)
1 - Sonic Superstars (Best Family)
1 - Starfield (Best RPG)
1 - Synapse (Best VR / AR)
1 - Tchia (Games for Impact)
1 - The Crew Motorfest (Best Sports / Racing)

b82REZ

I'm more surprised MS weren't able to pay off enough people to sneak Starfield onto the list.

BG3 will obviously win, rightfully so.

Ainu

Baldur's Gate 3 for best game and Alan Wake 2 for best direction? Seems likely. Back in May, who would've bet against Tears of the Kingdom winning either of these categories? Could still win it, but the fact that it's not the favourite just shows how strong this year has been.

Fantastic year for indies as well, with Cocoon, Dave the Diver, Dredge, Sea of Stars and Viewfinder. Probably between Dave the Diver and Sea of Stars, but a great selection in general.

Lies of P and Final Fantasy XVI making the RPG list in favour of Octopath Traveler 2 seems weird though, they're basically action titles. You could also make a very strong case for Star Ocean: Second Story R getting in ahead of those 2.

Last edited:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I've finshed that Robocop game. It pretty dam good if anyone if thinking of picking it up! And it's a must play if you're a fan of the IP.

AaronRedDevil

I've finshed that Robocop game. It pretty dam good if anyone if thinking of picking it up! And it's a must play if you're a fan of the IP.
I love the IP. Murphy's death still haunts me to this day. So fecking brutal. Good to hear that. The gameplay looked fun. How was the story?

Ainu

Been playing a game called Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom recently, and I can't recommend it enough. It's up there with the best 2D metroidvanias I've played.

Everything about is wonderful, from its lovely, colourful, hand drawn art style, its brilliant, JRPG-esque soundtrack to the different monster forms which each offer unique options and just its general imaginative design when it comes to levels, puzzles, secrets, platforming and bosses. It offers just the right level of challenge as well; it's not as easy as its cutesy art style might make you think.

Its main issue is probably the steep asking price for a game like this (€40 is a lot, especially compared to stuff like Hollow Knight), and the fact that it starts out slowly and only picks up once you get a few additional monster forms. At a good discount though, it's a no-brainer for anyone who likes 2D metroidvanias.

AaronRedDevil

Ps5 controllers on sale on Amazon. Almost bought the red controller 2 days ago for 70. Its 45 now. Thank feck I waited.

Superunknown

Started Shadow of the Colossus last night. I'm a huge fan of Ico and The Last Guardian, both of which are personal favourites of mine. Never got around to playing SotC and waited for the right time. Put on the remake last night and it's just fantastic. Gorgeous in terms of scale and art style. I've done the first three Colossi already and had to be dragged to bed. Just utterly gorgeous and beautiful to look at and play. I'm dying for the next Ueda game!

amolbhatia50k

Started Shadow of the Colossus last night. I'm a huge fan of Ico and The Last Guardian, both of which are personal favourites of mine. Never got around to playing SotC and waited for the right time. Put on the remake last night and it's just fantastic. Gorgeous in terms of scale and art style. I've done the first three Colossi already and had to be dragged to bed. Just utterly gorgeous and beautiful to look at and play. I'm dying for the next Ueda game!
All time great game

amolbhatia50k

Sack boy : A Big Adventure - This was just pure fun. The visuals, art design, soundtrack and control feedback made for a really fun ride. In a way, I do like that it isn’t a ‘hardcore’ platform because A) I’m shit at them and B) sometimes you need a comfort game. Also a very game where I’m actually trying to get gold / complete every level. Delightful little game. 8.7/10

Sniper Elite 5 -
This was … surprisingly good? I’d heard of the SE series but never tried it as it seemed rough around the edges and too dimensional. But this was a very good. To be fair, stealth absolutely is my jam and there’s something so satisfying about the loop of finding a nice spot to snipe someone from afar. And the game is more diverse and complete than expected too - in fact it was the closest experience to splinter cell since splinter cell. I took my time with it - more than a couple of hours each mission- and it was more fun for it.

Special shout out to the invasion mode which is possibly the best such mode I’ve experienced just because it suits this kind of game perfectly

8.6/10

amolbhatia50k

Also FIFA 23 - got an EA Play account for a month just for Dear Space Remake and gave this a go. Shock horror - FIFA is still an appalling game. Obviously I already knew that but I still thought hey in the absence of PES’ master league I can at least enjoy career mode despite the poor gameplay. But nah the game has a bug which resets your sliders every time you boot it up. So the only thing that makes the game semi playable doesn’t work. feck off EA 2/10

Ainu

Sack boy : A Big Adventure - This was just pure fun. The visuals, art design, soundtrack and control feedback made for a really fun ride. In a way, I do like that it isn’t a ‘hardcore’ platform because A) I’m shit at them and B) sometimes you need a comfort game. Also a very game where I’m actually trying to get gold / complete every level. Delightful little game. 8.7/10
I've also been playing it recently and I find it a little underwhelming. It's charming, beautiful and feels good to control, but it seems to lack ideas and imagination, which isn't ideal for a platformer. It's all a bit safe.

amolbhatia50k

I've also been playing it recently and I find it a little underwhelming. It's charming, beautiful and feels good to control, but it seems to lack ideas and imagination, which isn't ideal for a platformer. It's all a bit safe.
To be honest that’s what I wanted from it and sometimes an uncomplicated chill out experience is a good change from games with complicated systems that do too much without anything done well. Sack boy for me was a game I could just put on and have a nice feeling while doing so. Plus audio is an important thing for my experience and I thought the music was great.

Also I haven’t finished it but Dead Space Remake is friggin amazing.

amolbhatia50k

Has anyone tried Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga? On a 70 per cent discount. I’m not a fan of SW but I’ve heard good things about this game.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Man, Honkai Star Rail is such a good game, thought i'd get bored like I did with Genshin but I have played for over 100 hours so far and there's still a lot for me to do, the amount of content is insane.

b82REZ

"amolbhatia50k, post: 31373995,
Also I haven’t finished it but Dead Space Remake is friggin amazing.
I've been playing this on and off for over a month now after drifting away from it at launch. It's very good, but for some reason I just don't like playing it for long sessions and really struggle to motivate myself to put it on. Not sure why though.

I need to finish it because I want to start RE4 Remake, but I've also just ordered Cyberpunk. Really want to see if 2.0 fixed the shit show I played at launch. Also just watched the amazing Edgerunners so really want to get stuck back into that universe.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I've been playing this on and off for over a month now after drifting away from it at launch. It's very good, but for some reason I just don't like playing it for long sessions and really struggle to motivate myself to put it on. Not sure why though.

I need to finish it because I want to start RE4 Remake, but I've also just ordered Cyberpunk. Really want to see if 2.0 fixed the shit show I played at launch. Also just watched the amazing Edgerunners so really want to get stuck back into that universe.
Anxiety maybe? It's a horror game so drives a lot of people's anxiety through the roof. I get it with souls games, the thought of dying and losing souls just makes me anxious as hell.