Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Even with the (much needed) patches/updates I still find Cyberpunk quite a cold gaming experience.

Last edited:

b82REZ

Anxiety maybe? It's a horror game so drives a lot of people's anxiety through the roof. I get it with souls games, the thought of dying and losing souls just makes me anxious as hell.
No it's not that, I don't find it scary at all.

I think it's the precision of the combat and the zero G bits. The combat is good in isolation, but I feel it struggles a bit in the hectic sections with lots of enemies, the zero G sections are just glorified water levels; the worst kind of level in any game.

I feel like the atmosphere and graphics do a lot of heavy lifting in this game. I recognise it's a very good game though.

I'm on chapter 10/11 now so only a few more hours so I will force myself to finish it this week.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No it's not that, I don't find it scary at all.

I think it's the precision of the combat and the zero G bits. The combat is good in isolation, but I feel it struggles a bit in the hectic sections with lots of enemies, the zero G sections are just glorified water levels; the worst kind of level in any game.

I feel like the atmosphere and graphics do a lot of heavy lifting in this game. I recognise it's a very good game though.

I'm on chapter 10/11 now so only a few more hours so I will force myself to finish it this week.
I think the combat is great. The lack of mobility does become the biggest hindrance in those areas - I often wish there was a dodge button - but in way it adds to the difficulty and charm of the experience. Dead Space combat is all those lovely lovely weapons and using them in conjunction with telekinesis and the slow mo ability. Can’t stress how much I love the weapons and atmosphere / feel of the game. I also like how streamlined it is - funnily enough it adds to immersion not to be doing much silly side stuff.

When the trailer came out for this I thought it was a pointless remake but I think I subconsciously underrated the original game. Or maybe it’s just better suited to this generation of 60fps etc

I’ve only a week with it so I need to find the time somehow to get the most out of it.

amolbhatia50k

Anyone played Dying Light 1? Would you recommend to play it now? Definitive Edition is heavily discounted on the PS store.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I've been playing this on and off for over a month now after drifting away from it at launch. It's very good, but for some reason I just don't like playing it for long sessions and really struggle to motivate myself to put it on. Not sure why though.

I need to finish it because I want to start RE4 Remake, but I've also just ordered Cyberpunk. Really want to see if 2.0 fixed the shit show I played at launch. Also just watched the amazing Edgerunners so really want to get stuck back into that universe.
I’m the opposite and I never would’ve vibed off of horror games before but I’ve played this, Resi 2 and Resi 4 this year and loved them all. I’d say this is an a tier below the other 2 but still really enjoyable. The weapons are a lot of fun but the movement is very clunky at times and the zero g bits are a pain. But love the one shot camera and lack of any really overlay.

Ainu

Anyone played Dying Light 1? Would you recommend to play it now? Definitive Edition is heavily discounted on the PS store.
I played it a lot back in 2015 and loved it. My experience with it was mostly co-op though. I never went back to it after completing it but they've continued supporting it and adding stuff to it for years, so I'm sure it's an even better game now than when I played it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Even with the (much needed) patches/updates I still find Cyberpunk quite a cold gaming experience.
A lot of people do. It has a fun story if you stick to the main plot and some good side quests. Apparently the DLC is also much better than the base game.

amolbhatia50k

I played it a lot back in 2015 and loved it. My experience with it was mostly co-op though. I never went back to it after completing it but they've continued supporting it and adding stuff to it for years, so I'm sure it's an even better game now than when I played it.
Oh I don’t think I’d be playing coop. I’ve read that they’ve been adding to it for ages. And given the 60fps upgrade I’m thinking it should hold up pretty well. Completely edition is just 6 dollars too.

I missed out on Leg Star Wars and RE Village which on great deals too. Ever since Ps Plus I’m an expert at procrastination before spending on a game :lol: Just can’t justify these mad prices these days.

Ainu

Oh I don’t think I’d be playing coop. I’ve read that they’ve been adding to it for ages. And given the 60fps upgrade I’m thinking it should hold up pretty well. Completely edition is just 6 dollars too.

I missed out on Leg Star Wars and RE Village which on great deals too. Ever since Ps Plus I’m an expert at procrastination before spending on a game :lol: Just can’t justify these mad prices these days.
It's probably still a good game in solo play, it's just even better in co-op. For 6 dollars it's an easy recommend.

I wouldn't worry about that Lego Star Wars deal too much, I've seen it have that exact same discount (70%+ off or something) about 3 times this year. :lol: It'll happen again.

b82REZ

I think the combat is great. The lack of mobility does become the biggest hindrance in those areas - I often wish there was a dodge button - but in way it adds to the difficulty and charm of the experience. Dead Space combat is all those lovely lovely weapons and using them in conjunction with telekinesis and the slow mo ability. Can’t stress how much I love the weapons and atmosphere / feel of the game. I also like how streamlined it is - funnily enough it adds to immersion not to be doing much silly side stuff.

When the trailer came out for this I thought it was a pointless remake but I think I subconsciously underrated the original game. Or maybe it’s just better suited to this generation of 60fps etc

I’ve only a week with it so I need to find the time somehow to get the most out of it.
I think you're right, it's the lack of dodge that makes the combat occasionally feel clunky. The game falls back on some cheap tropes, like your lift breaking down and a wave of enemies suddenly drops in. That's when the combat can feel dated as it's harder to play it the way you're supposed to and it becomes a case of corralling the enemies into a line as you shoot.

I didn't play the original so really appreciate this remake, and it goes to show they don't have to be cheap cash ins. So much love and attention has been put into it.

Bebe

I bought it on a heavy discount awhile back, booted up and played for an hour or so. Seemed like a lot of fun, graphics look great and the first couple characters you meet seemed interesting. Definitely one I'll go back and get stuck into at some point.

Ainu

Just started playing The Ascent and I'm already annoyed. This game commits the cardinal sin of game design, a UI with a stupidly small font size and no option to change it.

How does this stuff keep happening in so many games? Do they only test on large PC monitors while sitting at a desk or something? Just get the basics right ffs.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Just started playing The Ascent and I'm already annoyed. This game commits the cardinal sin of game design, a UI with a stupidly small font size and no option to change it.

How does this stuff keep happening in so many games? Do they only test on large PC monitors while sitting at a desk or something? Just get the basics right ffs.
Something as basic as being able to read text presenting a barrier to enjoyment without the option to adjust are one of my pet peeves.

Bebe

Between this issue, and the consistent issues current gen games seem to have with OLED displays I'm entirely convinced that you're right - games are developed on PC monitors and nobody ever seemingly gives them a try on console or another display type before release. It's maddening.

Ainu

Something as basic as being able to read text presenting a barrier to enjoyment without the option to adjust are one of my pet peeves.
One of mine as well. It doesn't quite undo all the good stuff in a game, but it just creates friction and frustration where there really shouldn't be any and that does affect my overall enjoyment. So unnecessary.

amolbhatia50k

Yes and yes
Was it any different? I really liked RDR2 on my base PS4 but I do find Rockstar’s gameplay mechanics archaic. Still, there’s a lot to like - witting, world etc - and I’m thinking even without 60fps / native 4K it should still look better on a big screen and PS5 and be a good time. Just hoping the negatives don’t become glaring for me on a second run. Conversely a 2nd can also give a new appreciation of things with the passage of time (as it did for me in Ghosts of Tsushima).

Also I know they didn’t support RDO and I’m not a multiplayer guy but if you’re tried it out - are at least the storyline / missions im RDO worth it even if the overall package is a bit dead?

Sorry I’m asking a lot of questions as I’m genuinely torn because it’s a game I found exceptional in many aspects but also found a let down in some others, and one you have to commit a lot of time to.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Has anyone replayed RDR2? Did you feel it was worth it?
Yeah, just playing it through for the second time and ignoring the main quests as much as I can so I can spend time looking for dinosau bones, hunting legendary animals and fish. The graphics are incredible, on this playthough I'd say they're some of the best out there and the atmospherics are spot on. Incredible game dude, much better than I actually remember it from first playthough.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yeah, just playing it through for the second time and ignoring the main quests as much as I can so I can spend time looking for dinosau bones, hunting legendary animals and fish. The graphics are incredible, on this playthough I'd say they're some of the best out there and the atmospherics are spot on. Incredible game dude, much better than I actually remember it from first playthough.
It's the whole first act which drags it's bollocks too much, it's a hard restart of a game for sure.

amolbhatia50k

What are you playing it on? I’ve read that PS5 sadly runs the PS4 pro version so it’s not even native 4K. But surely it must be better than what I played before - base PS4 version.

Ultimate edition is available on PS store for 20 dollars - not sure I’ll actually bother with RDO and it feels silly to again buy a game I bought (and sold) in 2018 :lol:

Volumiza

What are you playing it on? I’ve read that PS5 sadly runs the PS4 pro version so it’s not even native 4K. But surely it must be better than what I played before - base PS4 version.

Ultimate edition is available on PS store for 20 dollars - not sure I’ll actually bother with RDO and it feels silly to again buy a game I bought (and sold) in 2018 :lol:
PS5 and Sony Bravia Oled. It looked great before but even though it is still a PS4 title, it looks so good still and I dont remember it being so smooth and filled with so many lighting effects. Maybe I just underrated it slightly first time though, who knows? Either way, I'm being blown away by it.

Drifting around and getting more involved this time in the crafting and collecting, really loving the refreshingly slow paced nature of it.

b82REZ

Despite it not receiving a next gen upgrade, it looks better than most next gen games.

The tricks Rockstar used to create the lighting is as impressive as any ray tracing I've seen since.

The only blight against it is the clunky controls (which I do think adds something) and the 30fps.

Volumiza

Despite it not receiving a next gen upgrade, it looks better than most next gen games.

The tricks Rockstar used to create the lighting is as impressive as any ray tracing I've seen since.

The only blight against it is the clunky controls (which I do think adds something) and the 30fps.
I was thinking about the controls when i was playing last week and I came to the conclusion they almost add to the game. They keep the game rolling at a realistic pace, it would look and feel daft having call of duty speed controls ... IMO obviously.

Totally agree that it looks everybit next gen too. Really impressive.

b82REZ

I was thinking about the controls when i was playing last week and I came to the conclusion they almost add to the game. They keep the game rolling at a realistic pace, it would look and feel daft having call of duty speed controls ... IMO obviously.

Totally agree that it looks everybit next gen too. Really impressive.
I agree. It adds a weight to it that adds to the realism.

In isolation they're shit, but they work perfectly for what this game is doing.

amolbhatia50k

I agree. It adds a weight to it that adds to the realism.

In isolation they're shit, but they work perfectly for what this game is doing.
The weight was not the main issue - I agree that it can add a unique feeling if done right in this specific setting. The combat mechanics though were simply poor and have barely changed much since RDR1 or even GTA 4 / prior release days.

Anyway I took the bait and bought this again. Hoepfully I enjoy my second play though! I’m thinking of playing with free aim (I think it did first time too) to make it a bit more challenging.

amolbhatia50k

So I’ve been playing Like a Dragon as it’s leaving PS in less than two weeks. While it started very well you really feel the bloat 8-10 hours in. I don’t know why every turned based combat needs to have these super repetitive dungeons of wave after wave of battles in dull little corridors and rooms. Hope it picks up but based on the drop in quality not sure it’ll be anywhere near the Judgment games which I liked so much.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
No one is watching the game awards?

OD is Kojima. Typical bollocks, awful red trainers, M$ interference, "new kind of media", Peele looking/sounding like he's reading from the Japanese autoprompt, more bollocks...will definitely play and rate 10/10.

Also new Mana, AW2 winning much deserved awards, other stuff with various levels of coolness.

amolbhatia50k

Surprised that there’s no thread for the Game Awards. Good because that was really shit. I skimmed through it and found not a single game reveal that I had any interested in at all - except for Kojima’s new game (not sure what they revealed other than FACES!) and it being Xbox exclusive which is a kick in the nuts.

amolbhatia50k

So I gave up on Like a Dragon. I was enjoying it despite the riduclous bloat. But the turned based combat once again was my undoing and I just couldn’t progress past a certain point so I deleted it.

I think I need to watch some guides on turn based combat. Never been a fan but even the few games I didn’t mind it in - it’s clear that I’m just shit at it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The weight was not the main issue - I agree that it can add a unique feeling if done right in this specific setting. The combat mechanics though were simply poor and have barely changed much since RDR1 or even GTA 4 / prior release days.

Anyway I took the bait and bought this again. Hoepfully I enjoy my second play though! I’m thinking of playing with free aim (I think it did first time too) to make it a bit more challenging.
Personally I don’t think free aim is the best way, maybe that’s why you don’t enjoy the shooting. Maybe it’s more challenging, but part of the fun is grabbing a rifle and snapping from one headshot to the next. Maybe that’s just me though.

amolbhatia50k

Personally I don’t think free aim is the best way, maybe that’s why you don’t enjoy the shooting. Maybe it’s more challenging, but part of the fun is grabbing a rifle and snapping from one headshot to the next. Maybe that’s just me though.
It’s the only way to add a tiny sense of struggle in the combat encounter. Honestly the shooting is abysmal. It’s a hindrance you have to get past to enjoy the rest of the game. Skill up jokingly compared it to it to time crisis and I see the point - it’s too simplistic and plays like a basic 90s game.

I’m enjoying my second play though so far but that’s because of the writing and characters. As it was in 2018 really. This is one game where I don’t feel I need 60fps because it’s a slow burn experience.

Volumiza

Nope, me too. Snap auto aim is enough to enjoy the shooting in RDR2.