Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Also picked up Armoured Core with a couple of trade ins but haven't got into it yet.
Play with a controller (if on PC) and use the sword more often than you think.

Only advice I'll give, apart from sticking it out early and really getting into it of course. But that last one if From all over.

One of the best games of the year, in a year that has been exceptional for gaming. That, Zelda, BG3, AW2, 2 great Mario games...about 20 others I've not listed.

Rest in peace, Max Payne. His voice actor, James McCaffrey has passed away at 65. One of gaming's most iconic voiceovers, in my opinion.
Oh director! My director!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You have a ps5 dont you?
You've probably played most stuff really. Maybe an RTS like Age of Empires or an MMO like Final Fantasy XIV? Maybe some of Microsofts stuff? Sea of Thieves is very good, Forza Horizon has its moments.
Just browse through, theres probably good deals on something or other you've missed.
I do but just excited to run the new PC. Happy to play games I have before if they look nice on PC too. Already plan to replay RDR2 and get WoW on again. Sea of Thieves I will check out.

Anyone know if any of the new Total War games are good?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So I’ve been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild over the past…months and really struggling with it. It’s such a strange game for me as it does a lot of things I should and usually do love in a game but also is severely lacking in many others. It’s a very good game by most objective metrics but for me just not a great one.

Exploration has become one of my favourite things in gaming full stop, I love wandering around gaming spaces either admiring their detail or discovering stuff happening, as well as a sense of freedom and ambiguity. So on those counts the game definitely excels but in terms (and they’re interconnected) of fun factor / impact / reward of the gameplay loop, it does not. While I love heading it out in any direction to chart my course, I am also constantly left with a sense of dissatisfaction at no tangible reward for doing so. I’ve probably put in 50-60 hours but I can barely recall any moments that I remember fondly. I always like playing the game but I rarely find myself really wanting to play it. And IMO it’s because the game lacks a hook.

At the end of the day, korok seeds, shrines, towers - it’s far too checklisty - combined with the odd combat set piece just isn’t fulfilling enough a loop for me meaning that I never walk away from the game feeling wowed / fully satisfied. As points of comparisons, I am also playing through God of War Ragnarok and just completed Dying Light (original), and GoWR has me by the balls to the point where I can recount most of my 10 hours playing it and every part is so expertly crafted whereas Dying Light is a mediocrely written game but the moment to moment gameplay - traversal and combat - is so exceptional and full of tension, that it feels highly rewarding..

I’m still enjoying Botw and will see it through for what it does do well but I do find it extremely overrated, and wish it had something more to latch on to. Will give my usual rating once I’m done.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
So I’ve been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild over the past…months and really struggling with it. It’s such a strange game for me as it does a lot of things I should and usually do love in a game but also is severely lacking in many others. It’s a very good game by most objective metrics but for me just not a great one.

Exploration has become one of my favourite things in gaming full stop, I love wandering around gaming spaces either admiring their detail or discovering stuff happening, as well as a sense of freedom and ambiguity. So on those counts the game definitely excels but in terms (and they’re interconnected) of fun factor / impact / reward of the gameplay loop, it does not. While I love heading it out in any direction to chart my course, I am also constantly left with a sense of dissatisfaction at no tangible reward for doing so. I’ve probably put in 50-60 hours but I can barely recall any moments that I remember fondly. I always like playing the game but I rarely find myself really wanting to play it. And IMO it’s because the game lacks a hook.

At the end of the day, korok seeds, shrines, towers - it’s far too checklisty - combined with the odd combat set piece just isn’t fulfilling enough a loop for me meaning that I never walk away from the game feeling wowed / fully satisfied. As points of comparisons, I am also playing through God of War Ragnarok and just completed Dying Light (original), and GoWR has me by the balls to the point where I can recount most of my 10 hours playing it and every part is so expertly crafted whereas Dying Light is a mediocrely written game but the moment to moment gameplay - traversal and combat - is so exceptional and full of tension, that it feels highly rewarding..

I’m still enjoying Botw and will see it through for what it does do well but I do find it extremely overrated, and wish it had something more to latch on to. Will give my usual rating once I’m done.
I get you even if I don't agree. Most people's enjoyment of BotW comes from simply exploring the game's world for the sake of it. It really is a beautiful world and even though it's devoid of purpose I found it very peaceful hunting out all the nooks and crannies within Hyrule. Cast your mind back to 1972 when the game originally came out and this was quite novel because all we'd seen was open-world games creating artificial points of achievement despite being essentially meaningless outside of the loop. Death Stranding is the only game that comes close to tying the experience of playing the game to the environment itself. BotW being desolate but calming. DS being barren and dangerous but emblematic of the struggle for change.*

Tears of the Kingdom is far worse for the checklist-y stuff as it doubles down on all the stuff BotW tried hard to avoid. I think that's the more overrated one myself and don't feel it came close to what BotW delivered at the time.

*People might also say Skyrim but I didn't get far enough in to judge.

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
How do all the gamers hold it?

I thought there was only two ways to hold it; Use your index and ring finger for the bumper buttons or just use your use index finger.
They do some mad claw grip shit.

I'm index finger only for bumper buttons.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I've been playing a few adventure/visual novels over the past couple of weeks and there's something about them that matches well with the cosiness needed to sustain life in these bleak winter months.

AI Somnium Files: Nirvana Initiative: A decent sequel to what was a brilliant first game. It's more 'out there' and less detective-y but connects the plot well. Characters are good. The ending is meh. There's a typical Uchikoshi twist midway in. 8/10

Paranormasight: Seven Mysteries of Honjo: Really enjoyed the visuals/style of this one but the story never got out of third gear for me. The first twist was too obvious and the second one was a bit too meta to land. Still enjoyable though. 6/10

OPUS: Echo of Starsong: The biggest testament I can give to this is that it is somehow really fecking good despite the nauseating melodramatic anime love story that it tries to tell. The spacey style is excellent. Very Mass Effect-y. 9/10

Raging Loop: I've only just got to the first ending but it's been great so far. It's based on the werewolf game the caf loves so it keeps you guessing constantly. It's also the most visual novel of the four mentioned with almost no gameplay involved.

I'm planning to play Gnosia (also a werewolf-y game) and Zero Time Dilemma next.

amolbhatia50k

I get you even if I don't agree. Most people's enjoyment of BotW comes from simply exploring the game's world for the sake of it. It really is a beautiful world and even though it's devoid of purpose I found it very peaceful hunting out all the nooks and crannies within Hyrule. Cast your mind back to 1972 when the game originally came out and this was quite novel because all we'd seen was open-world games creating artificial points of achievement despite being essentially meaningless outside of the loop. Death Stranding is the only game that comes close to tying the experience of playing the game to the environment itself. BotW being desolate but calming. DS being barren and dangerous but emblematic of the struggle for change.*

Tears of the Kingdom is far worse for the checklist-y stuff as it doubles down on all the stuff BotW tried hard to avoid. I think that's the more overrated one myself and don't feel it came close to what BotW delivered at the time.

*People might also say Skyrim but I didn't get far enough in to judge.
I understand the comparison with Death Stranding of the world or exploration / traversal of it being a mechanic in itself. But my take is that - I did like DS a lot but A) the exploration for me was not for exploration sake as I was pulling myself forward for the (weakish) narrative whilst enjoying the desolate survivor experience and B) expectations come into play as nobody really considers DS as one of the all time greats.

Just finished the 3rd divine beast and a few side quests. Being able to lock enemies with stasis is a nice addition. It’s still a good time - I just expected it to be more exciting / fun and myself to feel more immersed.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
After not having a console for the last however many years (7 or more?), my friend convinced me to get a Nintendo switch. Got it with mario kart, and have been playing it on and off over the weekend, but I keep getting headaches if I play for more than 4 or 5 races in one sitting.

Apparently (according to Google) it's most likely motion sickness - makes me feel incredibly old to be getting motion sickness playing a video game. Perfect timing coming up to a round birthday of supposed significance.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
After not having a console for the last however many years (7 or more?), my friend convinced me to get a Nintendo switch. Got it with mario kart, and have been playing it on and off over the weekend, but I keep getting headaches if I play for more than 4 or 5 races in one sitting.

Apparently (according to Google) it's most likely motion sickness - makes me feel incredibly old to be getting motion sickness playing a video game. Perfect timing coming up to a round birthday of supposed significance.
Don’t worry, apparently seventy is the new sixty.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Don’t worry, apparently seventy is the new sixty.
It's so stupid - I never get motion sickness where normal people do, in cars, trains, planes, boats, whatever. But play some mario kart and I've a headache for the rest of the day.

Ainu

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown seems to be getting excellent reviews across the board. This always looked interesting, and there's actually a demo out right now. A rare case of Ubisoft doing everything right.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown seems to be getting excellent reviews across the board. This always looked interesting, and there's actually a demo out right now. A rare case of Ubisoft doing everything right.
I'm definitely interested.

But when you say "everything right" does that mean we don't have to use their trash store/app?

Ainu

I'm definitely interested.

But when you say "everything right" does that mean we don't have to use their trash store/app?
:nervous: I tend to stay away from Ubisoft games on pc, and this will be no exception. Another potential issue is the price; it's really expensive for this type of game. Demo is pretty good though, I'll get it eventually.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I've just repicked anthem back up, had it for Xbox or on ea pass and enjoyed what I played tbh. Never got far into it as other stuff was out around the same time.

It's like £2 or something on playstation atm, story mode is apparently 14 hours so about 15p an hour seems worth it. Even if it feels clunky / shite, for 2 quid I can't refuse it tbh

amolbhatia50k

What games would y’all recommend for some local PS5 multiplayer / couch coop gaming? Except nothing with a story or narrative but stuff you can hop in and out of and have fun over 3-4 hours. I’m essentially looking at games on PS Plus Extra but would like suggestions regardless. Games like PES, previously Top Spin and MK have been decent fun so far.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Finished Baldur's Gate 3 and moved on to Dead Space. I'm a nervous wreck during it.

It doesn't help that after 5 months playing Baldur's Gate my game aim has gone to shit. I can't hit a limb to save my life. I had 100 plasma energy at the end of Chapter 1, near the end of Chapter 2 and I have none. Down to 63 rounds of the pulse rifle.

amolbhatia50k

Finished Baldur's Gate 3 and moved on to Dead Space. I'm a nervous wreck during it.

It doesn't help that after 5 months playing Baldur's Gate my game aim has gone to shit. I can't hit a limb to save my life. I had 100 plasma energy at the end of Chapter 1, near the end of Chapter 2 and I have none. Down to 63 rounds of the pulse rifle.
I had a tough time with aiming at the start of DS remake. You’ll eventually get to grips with it and also not need to be that conservative with ammo either. Plus using abilities is key really. I played in hard mode and it was a blast.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I highly recommend The Talos Principle 2. It's even better than the first one!

If you haven't played any of the games: it's very similar to Portal. I'd say the Talos games look better and have a better story, but the Portal games have better humor and less "choppy" graphics.

amolbhatia50k

I highly recommend The Talos Principle 2. It's even better than the first one!

If you haven't played any of the games: it's very similar to Portal. I'd say the Talos games look better and have a better story, but the Portal games have better humor and less "choppy" graphics.
The first one is on my todo list. I did play it for a half hour and it felt like it has really aged visually. But I think I’ll like it. The Witness was wonderful and I believe there are some similarities.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The first one is on my todo list. I did play it for a half hour and it felt like it has really aged visually. But I think I’ll like it.
The jump in terms of scale and graphics from the first to the second game is pretty massive. The main story of the second game isn't that much longer, but the game is 70 gig (the first is less than 6 gig).

The Witness was wonderful and I believe there are some similarities.
I love The Witness! It's a shame there are so few games like these. Underrated genre.

Ainu

I actually played The Talos Principle 1 just last month, and was very disappointed. I thought I would love it as I adored The Witness, but I already found the puzzles pretty tedious just +- 5 hours into the game, and the writing felt like incredibly heavy-handed pseudo-philosophical waffle to me. I just couldn't stand the idea of having to play through another dozen or more hours of it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Playing the early access of Palworld, which is totally not pokemon but a game in which you catch mysterious creatures, not Pokemon, by using Palspheres, not pokeballs.

It's sort of Valheim meets Pokemon and it's fecking amazing.

amolbhatia50k

Playing the early access of Palworld, which is totally not pokemon but a game in which you catch mysterious creatures, not Pokemon, by using Palspheres, not pokeballs.

It's sort of Valheim meets Pokemon and it's fecking amazing.
It’s getting a lot of hype. It’s all online right?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Any Caftard playing Dreamworld, a scam MMO where kids were promised to have a land in the game for moderating their discord server?