Assault on Precinct 13
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
Mad Max 2

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I watched that Good Time last night. Absolute blast from start to finish watching Pattinson stumble from feck up to the next. What was the ending all about btw?

Also IT Chapter 2 wasn't nearly as bad as people on here made it out to be. Admittedly it played out more like a comedy than a horror but I thought the Paul Bunyan scene and CGO Grandma long arms bit were hilarious. Casting was spot on too. Only real criticism is it was far too long and could've easily lost an hour or so of flab. The whole Henry Bowers sub plot for a start added nothing to the story.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I watched that Good Time last night. Absolute blast from start to finish watching Pattinson stumble from feck up to the next. What was the ending all about btw?
Remind me what the ending was?
Action-ish movies I like:

To Live and Die in L.A.
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
Miami Vice
Collateral
Sorcerer
Point Break
Deep Cover
RoboCop
Starship Troopers
Assault on Precinct 13
Mad Max 2
Surprised you like Point Break

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

To Live and Die in L.A.
Miami Vice
Collateral
Sorcerer
Point Break
Deep Cover
RoboCop
Starship Troopers
Assault on Precinct 13
Mad Max 2
That's a good list. You know you have to watch Commando now and review it!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Look Away
A psychological thriller that tells the story of Maria, an alienated high-school student whose life is turned upside down when she switches places with her sinister mirror image. A bit too slow for me considering the pay off wasn't anything spectacular but had some cool scenes and decent cinematography. Just wish the actual plot had a little more to it than simply teen angst 5/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Falling Inn Love
When city girl Gabriela spontaneously enters a contest and wins a rustic New Zealand inn, she teams up with bighearted contractor Jake Taylor to fix and flip it. Watched it because I find Christina Milian hot but my god this was beyond shit 1/10

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Even the title makes me want to shoot myself.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Malcolm X (1992)

Great, as is Denzel.

8/10

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

To Live and Die in L.A.
Miami Vice
Collateral
Sorcerer
Point Break
Deep Cover
RoboCop
Starship Troopers
Assault on Precinct 13
Mad Max 2
Lack of Die Hard is frankly disgusting. You should feel bad.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Midsommar (2019)

One take is the movie is supposed to be a horror-comedy(?) and the audience is just supposed to laugh at the crazy scenes? Although even if that is true, that its a gruesome comedy, the director is certainly trying to deconstruct a lot of Western society, not just the obvious individualistic materialism but also the romanticized notion of community and collectivism. In some ways it might lean too critically on the concepts of community and collectivism but perhaps that is the point to counter the emptiness in the 60s style hippie "back to nature" idealization of pre-industrial living and way some of the reactionary anarchist left have a perhaps unrealistic and facile view of things.

Sweet Square

Midsommar (2019)

One take is the movie is supposed to be a horror-comedy(?) and the audience is just supposed to laugh at the crazy scenes? Although even if that is true, that its a gruesome comedy, the director is certainly trying to deconstruct a lot of Western society, not just the obvious individualistic materialism but also the romanticized notion of community and collectivism. In some ways it might lean too critically on the concepts of community and collectivism but perhaps that is the point to counter the emptiness in the 60s style hippie "back to nature" idealization of pre-industrial living and way some of the reactionary anarchist left have a perhaps unrealistic and facile view of things.
Haven't seen the film yet but I've heard it works quite well as a critique of the golden age of Swedish social democracy.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Haven't seen the film yet but I've heard it works quite well as a critique of the golden age of Swedish social democracy.
Tag me after you see it and I'd like to discuss that more in spoilers.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Midsommar is The Wicker Man for the skinny jeans wearing, Banksy loving, mochastrosity sipping generation. It's wanky up its own arse, full of affectation and showy offy camera acrobatics. There are echoes of @Refn in Paris peacocking it all up here.

But also, and unlike Hereditary, it's sometimes really good and sporadically great. I found it unnervingly funny and scary, it has some tight set piecing and some really wild imagery. A bitty film that one minute will regurgitate some stale horror motif and the next mallet you with something alarmingly vibrant. Contrast the indulgent intro that never significantly pays off, with the brief scene of sacred-log jackassery that rapidly ratchets up the ominousness. I've decided that Florence Pugh is a limited actor but with classic movie star presence, and that's usually better.

Yes, it is a good, and he is a talent. I just have to lament the ceaseless hipster gentrification of genre cinema once more.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Pretty much all the bits in the original Wicker Man that don’t have Christopher Lee or tits in are pretty interminable tbf... also, theres a more more singing than you expect. It’s basically 40% twee singing.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Midsommar is The Wicker Man for the skinny jeans wearing, Banksy loving, mochastrosity sipping generation. It's wanky up its own arse, full of affectation and showy offy camera acrobatics. There are echoes of @Refn in Paris peacocking it all up here.

But also, and unlike Hereditary, it's sometimes really good and sporadically great. I found it unnervingly funny and scary, it has some tight set piecing and some really wild imagery. A bitty film that one minute will regurgitate some stale horror motif and the next mallet you with something alarmingly vibrant. Contrast the indulgent intro that never significantly pays off, with the brief scene of sacred-log jackassery that rapidly ratchets up the ominousness. I've decided that Florence Pugh is a limited actor but with classic movie star presence, and that's usually better.

Yes, it is a good, and he is a talent. I just have to lament the ceaseless hipster gentrification of genre cinema once more.
That has to be one of the most interesting phrases I read all month - I will say I find horror films like Midsommar and Hereditary light years better than the edgelord Saw generation of shit horror. I'll take hipster gentrification over poser edgelord wanna-bes.
BTW Have you seen Under the Silver Lake?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
That has to be one of the most interesting phrases I read all month - I will say I find horror films like Midsommar and Hereditary light years better than the edgelord Saw generation of shit horror. I'll take hipster gentrification over poser edgelord wanna-bes.
BTW Have you seen Under the Silver Lake?
Yes, I seem to remember it losing me about half an hour in when it went all Pynchonian and I realised I wasn't going to be getting many answers to the opening questions. Still I didn't have too many gripes, given that it all seemed in service to the film's raison detre.

I'm just suspicious of things I see as distractingly superficial, indulgently ostentatious, performatively clever, and that employ vagueness as bulk - muddying of the shallows in order to give the appearance of depth. I tend to favour the simple, the sincere, the traditional; art that is communicative and accessible. I mostly align with the fusty criticisms of the Tolstoy school of art appreciation. But mainly I just want the cool kids to get their yurt off my lawn.

Like Toy Story 4. Very enjoyable with good gags and action. Forky's trauma of birth had me chuckling and I was all in on jumpsuited Bo-peep turned ronin. The story is muddled but at this point it doesn't really matter, as long as it is well paced and the characters are still shining.

Yet after all these years and all these films, it hasn't become any easier to ignore the fundamental political problem at the core of Toy Story: that the intrinsic value of the toys is tied to their ability to provide a service to a higher class citizenry. I'm not saying that these films are a deliberate reflection of Steve Jobs' and Apple-Pixar's attitudes to third world labour, just that the main characters in the series have less in common with Winnie the Pooh than they do the characters in Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. I'm sure Toy Story 5 will be about the toys breaking free from under the yoke of human servitude.

And why was the skunk car denied sentience? It's less the metaphysical inconsistency that concerns me and more the missed opportunity of having a conscious skunk car on screen.

ChrisNelson

Ready Or Not (2019)

Woman marries in to family, plays game of hide and seek at the family post-wedding party and they all try to kill her!

Enjoyed this, I'd seen the trailer for it quite a few times so got myself there at the first opportunity.

It's as creepy as the trailer makes it look although not sh*t your pants scary.

Some decent twists and turns along the way and some good humour too although I wouldn't call it a comedy horror.

Worth a watch even if it's not your favourite genre.

8/10

The Kitchen (2019)

Three women in 1978 New York see their husbands sent to jail for armed robbery and attempt to cover their involvement in the mob.

Also really enjoyed this, a different take on the mob movie which has been done to death over the years.

Some great performances and generally difficult to predict where it was going to go.

If you like mob movies, or action in general you will enjoy this.

8/10

Tickets booked for opening night of Joker and have very high hopes!