Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
House of Pain is alright, his 2000's period is much worse with the period sounds of Audioslave, Groove Armada, Paul Oakenfold and Moby.

Just read this review on Miami Vice:

I’ve seen Miami Vice more times than any other film made this century. Indifferently received during its 2006 release, the film has emerged as a major touchstone for my generation of critics. If you’re young and you’re writing seriously about the medium, there’s a good chance that you’re a Miami Vice fan.

Why? The movie—a continuation/reimagining of Anthony Yerkovich’s poppy, pastel-hued cop show—seems an unlikely candidate for the cinephile canon. Its plot occupies traditional cop-movie territory. Its soundtrack is compulsively un-cool: Nonpoint, Moby, Audioslave. It features gratuitous product placement. Its costuming consists almost entirely of ugly mid-2000s club looks, like shiny Ozwald Boateng suits and un-tucked extra-large button-up shirts.

And yet Miami Vice looks and moves like no other movie. It was shot in large part on grainy handheld digital video, which lends the action a sense of immediacy. Though its technology has become outdated, Miami Vice still feels new and different. The camera is squirrelly, quickly darting from close-up to close-up; the visual compositions are off-kilter, dominated by big swaths of negative space—looming skies, big empty rooms, water that stretches out past the horizon.

Then there’s the atmosphere. The movie opens and ends seemingly mid-scene; there is no set-up and no sense of resolution. The tone is doomy; writer-director Michael Mann—who executive-produced the TV series—refashions leads Tubbs and Crockett (Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell) into weary professionals. The world they inhabit is murky and fatalistic; everything matters only insofar as it continues the flow of information (for the police) or the flow of cash (for the criminals). It’s a movie about drug dealers that features no drugs and a movie about cops that features no arrests. Its characters exist within an endless cycle of informants and moles, takedowns and retributions, seizures and countermeasures.

Mann makes movies about archetypes—duty-bound criminals, driven investigators, flamboyant bank robbers, champion athletes—who long for independence. At its core, Miami Vice is a doomed romance about two people—Crockett and a cartel higher-up (Gong Li)—who see each other as escape routes. The film’s sense of dread is vast and oppressive; its fleeting moments of freedom—like a go-fast boat ride that rivals the ending of Mann’s own Heat as the all-time best use of Moby in a film—are vividly rendered. I’d be lying if I said that I’m not moved by it.
https://film.avclub.com/1801882956

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Reminds of the part in Heat where Al Pacino character goes to hip hop club(I think Al Pachino might be the white guy in the scene) and this song is playing in the background

I think you'll find it was 'Top of the Mornin to Ya' that was playing in that scene.

And yeah, Miami Vice is also excellent.

Sweet Square

I think you'll find it was 'Top of the Mornin to Ya' that was playing in that scene.
Ah bad, your right.

No, that's Heat.
Heat is Mann best achievement. To make a 2+ hour crime movie with the pressures of having one of the best star casts of all time and for the movie to turn into one the great crime movies ever is really something. But overall I think Collateral is a better film(Shame we don't get to see Cruise as a bad guy more often).

Heat = United 1999

Collateral = United 2008

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No, that's Heat.
Ah bad, your right.

Heat is Mann best achievement. To make a 2+ hour crime movie with the pressures of having one of the best star casts of all time and for the movie to turn into one the great crime movies ever is really something. But overall I think Collateral is a better film(Shame we don't get to see Cruise as a bad guy more often).

Heat = United 1999

Collateral = United 2008
The Insider ftw.

ChrisNelson

Billy Connolly - The Sex Life Of Bandages (2019)

It was on at the cinema so counting it as a film :).

This was on for one night only last night and I managed to secure a ticket a few weeks ago to see it at Derby.

It was basically around a half hour interview recorded in June 2019 followed by his full stand-up routine recorded at Sydney Opera House in 2015.

I thought it was great. I've always loved his stuff, read all his books and seen all his shows - some (such as World Tour of Australia) many times over.

The interview shows him becoming more frail which is sad but understandable given his Parkinson's diagnosis around 5 years ago.

He does however still have his full faculties and I really hope he's with us for a while yet.

The stand-up was great, it was typical Billy and I'm so glad I saw it was on and got a ticket. He's one of the great story tellers of our time and I admire the way he can get halfway through a story then go on a 10 minute tangent before returning as if he'd never left the main story!

There's no point recommending this to go and see because it was only on last night. I'm not sure regarding release on DVD/ blu-ray or Netflix but if you ever come across it and you're even slightly a fan then try and catch it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ah bad, your right.

Heat = United 1999

Collateral = United 2008
Need to rewatch them, but heat is more memorable. I can see vividly the scenes there, even when it's 10 over years older than collateral. The drama and tension is just there, i can root for the bad guys.

Interestingly there's a shot to shot same movie in chinese, i dont know which is copying which. Even the scene where deniro says look at me before shooting the guy, the dialog is the same.

So... heat for me it is

Sweet Square

Need to rewatch them, but heat is more memorable. I can see vividly the scenes there, even when it's 10 over years older than collateral. The drama and tension is just there, i can root for the bad guys.

Interestingly there's a shot to shot same movie in chinese, i dont know which is copying which. Even the scene where deniro says look at me before shooting the guy, the dialog is the same.

So... heat for me it is
Yeah I would agree that Heat is more memorable, the LA tunnel scene is one of my favourite movie scene all time. But if I had to pick some flaws -

De Niro carries the whole movie. While Pacino performance somehow works(She got a great ASS!) without De Niro doing the complete opposite it would have been a joke.

Amy Brenneman character Eady(De Niro love interest)isn't really a developed character at all and more just a plot device to stop McCauley from leaving town as soon as possible. Its really no surprise that he dumps her at the end.

.A pair of clippers and some hair gel is all thats needed to trick a nation wide manhunt.

I'm being very picky of course but Collateral is just well flawless.

I've google this and can't find anything. Are you sure your not thinking of City On Fire which Tarantino nicked for reservoir dogs ?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yeah I would agree that Heat is more memorable, the LA tunnel scene is one of my favourite movie scene all time. But if I had to pick some flaws -

De Niro carries the whole movie. While Pacino performance somehow works(She got a great ASS!) without De Niro doing the complete opposite it would have been a joke.

Amy Brenneman character Eady(De Niro love interest)isn't really a developed character at all and more just a plot device to stop McCauley from leaving town as soon as possible. Its really no surprise that he dumps her at the end.

.A pair of clippers and some hair gel is all thats needed to trick a nation wide manhunt.

I'm being very picky of course but Collateral is just well flawless.

I've google this and can't find anything. Are you sure your not thinking of City On Fire which Tarantino nicked for reservoir dogs ?
Nope. It was shot for shot it amazes me.

I recall that movie was older than heat. Which got me thinking heat it the copycat. Let me try and find it

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Nope. It was shot for shot it amazes me.

I recall that movie was older than heat. Which got me thinking heat it the copycat. Let me try and find it
Was it a John Woo flick? The Killer (1989) perhaps?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

Very atmospheric film. Casey Affleck was superb.

8/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Spiderman Far From Home
Great action scenes with scale. Some of it looked superb. Otherwise, predictable, cheesy and not very good. Jake Gyllenhall is too good to be associating himself with this stuff 6/10

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
The Witch (also seen it spelt as The VVitch)

This is my kind of horror/scary movie. There are no jump scares, no cheap tricks and no tropes - instead it's an eerie, dark and atmospheric movie that is a slow burn.

If you like your slower horror movies like Hereditary and Midsommar then you will most likely enjoy this one too.

Be warned though that they speak in Ye Olde English, so it can be hard to keep up at times (it's set in the 1600's).

8/10

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
ExiStenZ - I mean, there was fleshy video game consoles, virtual realities, people shooting with meaty guns and so forth but all I could see was a movie about anal sex. And this is the reason why Cronenberg is the greatest director of science fiction.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Total Recall:
I've not seen Robocop or Starship Troopers but I've heard about Verhoeven's style and his politics.
In this one, the satire isn't evenn a bit subtle, Arnold is a hilariously bad actor, the politics are about as blunt as possible (sharply-dressed in all-black government/corporation hybrid exerminating mutant degenerates), it is gruseome, and amazigly fun. Loved it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
my mission to find the hidden meaning of life from youtube comments has hit another summit with this discovery

Darth Vader arrives on Death Star - Return of the Jedi [CC]
Paul Floyd6 months ago
Back when Star Wars had BALLS!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Joker
Absolutely mesmerising. Joaquin Phoenix must be one of the best actors of his generation. Brings so much to the character. It was ultra slow at times and I can see that putting some people off but I'm all about the slow burn and it makes the final act that little bit more engaging. Loved it 8/10

Sweet Square

Total Recall:
I've not seen Robocop or Starship Troopers but I've heard about Verhoeven's style and his politics.
In this one, the satire isn't evenn a bit subtle, Arnold is a hilariously bad actor, the politics are about as blunt as possible (sharply-dressed in all-black government/corporation hybrid exerminating mutant degenerates), it is gruseome, and amazigly fun. Loved it.
Its never subtle with Verhoeven films which is why he is so brilliant. Schwarzenegger has to get a ton of credit as he really pushed for Verhoeven to be the director.

Oh and also Starship Troopers is a work of pure genius.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Total Recall:
I've not seen Robocop or Starship Troopers
but I've heard about Verhoeven's style and his politics.
Bloody hell. Those three films are the sci-fi holy trinity. You need to see the other two.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

I'm a crap movie critic - this is a highly-rated film with excellent actors, yet I was underwhelmed.

6/10

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I saw Casablanca ...again last night.

I usually jump to my favourite scenes. This time I saw it from the beginning.

Every scene is magnificent.
Every scene.
Every actor superb.

From when Bogart helps a poor couple 'win' at the Roulette table to the signing of the "La Marseillaise" it gets me every time.

10/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Nobody needs to see Starship Troopers, it's utter garbage. Robocop deserves its cult following, amazing film.
Starship Troopers is a masterpiece, you're insane.
I saw Casablanca ...again last night.

I usually jump to my favourite scenes. This time I saw it from the beginning.

Every scene is magnificent.
Every scene.
Every actor superb.

From when Bogart helps a poor couple 'win' at the Roulette table to the signing of the "La Marseillaise" it gets me every time.

10/10
Yeah it's pretty much perfection.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

I'm a crap movie critic - this is a highly-rated film with excellent actors, yet I was underwhelmed.

6/10
I find it to be one of the finest examples of tragedy that cinema has yet coughed up. It's stripped down and stagy, and it's not going to wow anybody with visual dazzle but it's such a tightly plotted bit of drama.

Horses of courses.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Aladdin (2019)
I've hated every single live action Disney adaptation so far but surprisingly, I enjoyed this one. I went in expectng to hate it as Aladdin is one of my top 3 Disney movies and at first, I was struggling with it. Once I stopped comparing to the original, I had a much better time with it. The cast did pretty well, it looked fantastic and they added a few things that actually worked for a modern audience 7/10

pauldyson1uk

IT Chapter 2

I was looking forward to this , but I was disappointed, I actually preferred the cheesy original.
It had a few moments, but not many, could not relate to the group , did not like Pennywise, Tim Curry did it so much better.
The first one was much better, the kids actually looked like there were friends , the adults did not.

5/10

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
IT Chapter 2

I was looking forward to this , but I was disappointed, I actually preferred the cheesy original.
It had a few moments, but not many, could not relate to the group , did not like Pennywise, Tim Rice did it so much better.
The first one was much better, the kids actually looked like there were friends , the adults did not.

5/10
You're getting your Curry mixed up with your Rice.