Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'll it's 5 or 6. It's not boring and can pass some time but the plot was mostly a mess. Takes too long to kick on, first hour felt almost like a prologue, Cheetah was shoehorned in it just to extend the movie and the ending was plain stupid.

It would have been better if it was actually shorter, but it's way way too long and the plot was too shallow for such length.
I thought it was the worst superhero film and one of the worst films I've seen this year.

It was a boring mess.

Plus I can't look past Gal Gadot shaking her head left to right continuously every time she tried to do an emotional speech.

It was a pathetic movie.

el3mel

I thought it was the worst superhero film and one of the worst films I've seen this year.

It was a boring mess.

Plus I can't look past Gal Gadot shaking her head left to right continuously every time she tried to do an emotional speech.

It was a pathetic movie.
From the superhero movies I watched I'll definitely put it close to the bottom. I actually think it's the worst DCEU movie from the list I watched (I skipped Man of Steel, Justice League and Suicide Squad) and I'm even one of the minority who actually liked BvS, though I watched the ultimate edition. I'm usually quite generous with my ratings though so I gave it a 5 or 6 at best.

It's shame as I think it could have actually been a decent pop corn superhero flick movie that you enjoy then forget later on like say Birds of Prey but they wanted it to be so big and so epic that it ended up a mess of a plot.

Diana's speech at the end of the movie was absolutely awful and she looked pathetic throughout the whole thing.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Love this movie! One of the best action films of all time!!

I remember I watched this on a random night. Following day, I went into work. A guy I rarely speak to says "hey man, what's up? Do anything cool yesterday?" I responded "Only watched the best action film of all time" to which he says "What? Predator?"... since that exchange, we have become great friends!

Sweet Square

Love this movie! One of the best action films of all time!!

I remember I watched this on a random night. Following day, I went into work. A guy I rarely speak to says "hey man, what's up? Do anything cool yesterday?" I responded "Only watched the best action film of all time" to which he says "What? Predator?"... since that exchange, we have become great friends!
:lol:

Michael Inside
An 18 year old man living in a Dublin housing estate with his grandfather is caught holding drugs for a friend.

A relentlessly gritty, depressing look at class prisons, real prisons and the criminal justice system. Realistic, understated performances - especially from the two leads.

Highly, highly recommend it.

Last edited:

el3mel

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) :

Did I watch a different movie than others ? Everyone says this is enjoyable. I approached it expecting some stupid, brainless fun from a kids friendly movie but it bored me out of my mind. I didn't turn into a Sonic movie to keep on watching humans talking non stop. I expected a lot of running, but I only got what I was expecting in the last 20 minutes or so, which were quite good but for the rest of the movie ? It was simply boring, boring dialogue.

A sequel might be better though, considering new characters from the series and stuff.

5/10.

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
Promising Young Woman (2020) :

Took a lot of time to get going but once it did it was brilliant all around. The lead female actress was top notch, but the acting of some guys was a little bit over the top especially the main antagonist. Great ending as well.

8/10
Watched this last night on your recommendation was pretty good, was my kind of film I like a dark comedy and this ticked all the boxes, the main actress is very good and you feel for her.at the end.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
American psycho:
Standout scenes and a great performance 8/10

Lock stock and two smoking barrels:
7/10
I like brainless fun and silly twists.

Boss level:
Time-loop movie (the first I've seen), modeled a bit like a video game. Would have been better if they committed to the video game aspects of the plot (fortunate coincidences, NPC dialogue) rather than making it a semi-serious story about a guy reconnecting with his family before The End Of The World. 6/10.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Trois couleurs: Blanc. I didn't feel it as much for this one. I was in awe of Bleu, mostly its pace and cinematography, but I thought this one fell short in comparison. The cinematography isn't as interesting, and the story is ultimately unpleasant. I thought it was nice for a while, until I realized it was all a protracted quest for revenge. The extent of it is neither funny nor justified, just sad - but that's not how the film portrays it. Overall, the narrative carried me along well, and I still liked the pace and lots of other things; but I don't quite see why this film was received so very positively.

Moxie. A teenage romp about girls fighting for their rights in the final years of high school. In terms of activism, the film gets a lot right, and it's rather satisfactory in that sense. It's all a little on the nose though, character development is so fast you can hardly keep up, and the ending rounds thing up in a way that's so crowd-pleasing that it's a little frustrating; but overall a decent feel-good film about its subject matter.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Whispering Corridors - Korean horror movie from 1998. Interesting social commentary where - like all good horrors - the fear is actually internal rather than external. This one being about the Korean school system and its shockingly high expectations on students. Sometimes a little cringey in terms of camerawork but overall really well balanced between the horror and the drama.

Christmas in August - Apparently this is used in film school in Korea as a marker of good screenwriting but I wasn't very impressed. It lacks tension tension and stays at the same maudlin tone throughout. It's not awful and the main character has a great presence but it's a little too melodramatic for my taste. Obviously Koreans love that sort of thing.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Whispering Corridors - Korean horror movie from 1998. Interesting social commentary where - like all good horrors - the fear is actually internal rather than external. This one being about the Korean school system and its shockingly high expectations on students. Sometimes a little cringey in terms of camerawork but overall really well balanced between the horror and the drama.
I've seen this. It's decent!

caid

@Cheimoon It's been a while since I watched the three colours trilogy but I agree, white is much less impressive than the other two. Have you seen Red?
Been a long time for me too. Red was my favourite but i dont remember it enough to say why. Thought white was kind of interesting but i didn't enjoy it at all.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
@Cheimoon It's been a while since I watched the three colours trilogy but I agree, white is much less impressive than the other two. Have you seen Red?
Been a long time for me too. Red was my favourite but i dont remember it enough to say why. Thought white was kind of interesting but i didn't enjoy it at all.
It's not just me then. ;) I had to watch it in parts this week, so I thought that maybe that lowered my perception of it; but I just didn't see what aspect I missed or underestimated when rewinding the film in my head. I haven't seen Red yet; I intend to watch it this week.

@Vidyoyo, where do you get all those Korean films? There isn't much on Netflix, I'm wondering if there's a legal source I could consider.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
@Vidyoyo, where do you get all those Korean films? There isn't much on Netflix, I'm wondering if there's a legal source I could consider.
If only. Some of them have been released on DVD but there's not a lot of choice when it comes to streaming.

Prime is the main source I use, I'll look to rent if it's less than £4.

Third Window Films has a few but they're mainly Japanese: https://vimeo.com/thirdwindowfilms/vod_pages

So yeah, I usually download them and then report them immediately to the authorities to deal with :D

MoskvaRed

It's not just me then. ;) I had to watch it in parts this week, so I thought that maybe that lowered my perception of it; but I just didn't see what aspect I missed or underestimated when rewinding the film in my head. I haven't seen Red yet; I intend to watch it this week.

I think “White” was the most personal and contemporary of the three - a Polish person living in Paris in the early 90s after the borders opened up and the imbalances in the relationship with Julie Delpy’s character. The other two were less focused on any particular time and place. I do remember liking it but maybe have was due to preferring one actress over another which, as @Vidyoyo says, is not really the point.

“Cold War” was a more recent and maybe better film on a similar theme.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Misery (1990)

Just watching it on Film 4 at the moment. Kathy Bates worthy Oscar winner. Loved how her language got progressively worse as she descended deeper into madness. Feck, the 90s was the decade for the psycho thrillers. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Promising Young Woman
erm, well I May Destroy You was a god damn masterpiece.
I watched this last night, I liked it a lot. Thought it was an interesting piece on rape culture and victim blaming, with a great performance by Mulligan.

Ending felt a little bit tacked on but I guess having too much of a dark ending (just her dying and the guys getting away with it) was not possible although the message might have been even stronger

I take it you didn't like it?

I may destroy you is on my list...

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I watched this last night, I liked it a lot. Thought it was an interesting piece on rape culture and victim blaming, with a great performance by Mulligan.

Ending felt a little bit tacked on but I guess having too much of a dark ending (just her dying and the guys getting away with it) was not possible although the message might have been even stronger

I take it you didn't like it?

I may destroy you is on my list...
No I didn't really, for a number of reasons. One that illustrates a broad issue I have with its commentary:
How did you feel about the threat of sexual violence being used as a form of revenge against the women deemed to have been contributing to the central crime?

Also more trivially, you can't do that to Night of the Hunter, twice.

Sure it's all very clever but if you want something smart then yes I May Destroy You.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
No I didn't really, for a number of reasons. One that illustrates a broad issue I have with its commentary:
How did you feel about the threat of sexual violence being used as a form of revenge against the women deemed to have been contributing to the central crime?

Also more trivially, you can't do that to Night of the Hunter, twice.

Sure it's all very clever but if you want something smart then yes I May Destroy You.
Regarding your spoiler -

Of course it made me uncomfortable. I guess the underlying idea that these women would only truly understand when it hit closer to home, but the fact it was never acted upon (both situations were "just" threats, right? Unless I'm mistaken) was sort of the cop out, underlining the "ok now you get it" without having to have resorted to actual violence. Though of course the mere psychological threat puts it in muddy waters, so I do understand why that is an issue. I guess it's also one of the pitfalls of it being a revenge film, first and foremost

I haven't seen Night of the Hunter - it's a plot device from that film that is re-used there?

I trust your judgment so need to get onto I may destroy you soon

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Daibyonin (aka The Last Dance)

If you've seen Tampopo - the comedy movie about ramen - you'll already know the director of this one (Juzo Itami). It's a semi-serious drama, semi-comedy about a movie director who's dying of cancer. This fact though is kept secret from him which leads to some absurdly exaggerated moments, particularly between the MC and his doctor, who feud like bitter old rivals. It's both touching and amusing; one of those lovely high-concept comedies where the point isn't to take us out of the real world but rather to reflect contemplatively on something we can all relate to (in this case, death).

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I have been poker pro for 12 years, so I wasn't. But there is a limit on how bad and error-ridden the scenes can be. It is a very shallow film and there is nothing likeable about the main character. And the last scene with father is laughable.
Yeah. If I recall correctly there's a scene in Molly's Game where some guy folds the nut hand in a giant pot to the Maguire character for some flaky reasoning like being psyched out by him or something. I've seen some strange things at a poker table but I don't think I've ever seen that.

el3mel

I have been making run through the old X Men since I have never actually watched them. Watched the first 3, here's a quick opinion on them :

X-men (2000) :

Decent flick but the story was very generic and predictable. I won't comment on the visuals since it's a 2009 movie and of course every thing looks outdated now, but the fights I believe were very fake even for a 2000 movie (it was very clear they were punishing the air and not each other in many shots). Also Storm was ridiculously nerfed. 6/10

X2 : X-men United (2003):

For its age I believe it's a great movie. Better and more engaging story to follow with a good conclusion. Storm was still badly done though and Cyclops, the team leader in the comics was useless. Still a lot of fun even nowadays. 8/10

X-men Last Stand (2006):

God this was awful and I even watched it with rock bottom expectations after hearing everyone criticizing it but it didn't make it any better. Awful plot that had no direction and awful conclusion. They pretty much destroyed the endire cast. The last fight was fun but its ending was awful and before it the movie was damn boring. I felt insulted by how they handled Cyclops in this. 4/10

I will continue this run later on because I want to watch Justice League first.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Field of Dreams. I didn't actually know too much about the film going into it, apart from the 'if you build it' quote. Given it's so well known, I had expected something good of it, but to me, it was sentimental crap with next to zero merit - including boring and monotonous performances by all the main actors. I honestly have no idea why this is a classic, or short of that, why it has achieved any kind of longevity. Do you have to be a baseball fan to appreciate this (@WI_Red?), or what am I missing here?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Field of Dreams. I didn't actually know too much about the film going into it, apart from the 'if you build it' quote. Given it's so well known, I had expected something good of it, but to me, it was sentimental crap with next to zero merit - including boring and monotonous performances by all the main actors. I honestly have no idea why this is a classic, or short of that, why it has achieved any kind of longevity. Do you have to be a baseball fan to appreciate this (@WI_Red?), or what am I missing here?
It certainly has certain target demographics. Middle-aged yanks being a primary one.

Funny you mentioned that, as I watched Dances With Wolves yesterday, which I’m guessing offhand is Costner’s peak. It’s a difficult task portraying Native Americans of that era and civil war vets appropriately, but it seemed to make an honest effort. [14/20]

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Glad you tagged me! I absolutely love Field of Dreams for a couple of reasons that may or may not be yank specific:

1. I love baseball. It was my passion as a kid and by far the sport I was best at. Because of this I devoured baseball history books, so seeing some of those players "come to life" was awesome.
2. My dad was a big part of my baseball life. He coached most of my teams (which looking back was a huge sacrifice of time!) and on days we would not have practice we would play catch (so THAT scene hits hard).
3. James Earl Jones.
4. Baseball.

I have not seen it for a while, so I don't know how well it has held up, but it was part of a run of great baseball movies (The Natural, Bull Durham, Major League-the first one, Eight Men Out, The Sandlot, A League of Their Own) that came out in the mid 80's through the early 90's. I recommend all of them.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Baseball knowledge helps a bit. At its core, it’s about a redemption story of a father & son, one of the movies that always moves me to tears at the end when they are playing catch.

@WI_Red Tough for someone our age who played baseball growing up not to blubber at the end of that flick.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Trois couleurs: Blanc. I didn't feel it as much for this one. I was in awe of Bleu, mostly its pace and cinematography, but I thought this one fell short in comparison. The cinematography isn't as interesting, and the story is ultimately unpleasant. I thought it was nice for a while, until I realized it was all a protracted quest for revenge. The extent of it is neither funny nor justified, just sad - but that's not how the film portrays it. Overall, the narrative carried me along well, and I still liked the pace and lots of other things; but I don't quite see why this film was received so very positively.
Given the theme is equality I think it had a black comedic element that equality doesn't always have to be equal in good ways. I think it also buys into the "anti" agenda of all 3 films. Blue = anti-tragedy, White = anti-comedy and Red = anti-romance (thanks Wikipedia for the memory jog). A long time since I watched it and although I think I liked it it was a long way short of Blue.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think you must need to be a baseball fan to get anything out of this. I hated it with a passion.

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)
I didn't see the original release, so don't know how it compares, but found it too cringe, messy and overindulgent. I like the ambition and visuals, but the writing, with a few exceptions, is just not very good. Shame, since it looks good. 6/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Glad you tagged me! I absolutely love Field of Dreams for a couple of reasons that may or may not be yank specific:

1. I love baseball. It was my passion as a kid and by far the sport I was best at. Because of this I devoured baseball history books, so seeing some of those players "come to life" was awesome.
2. My dad was a big part of my baseball life. He coached most of my teams (which looking back was a huge sacrifice of time!) and on days we would not have practice we would play catch (so THAT scene hits hard).
3. James Earl Jones.
4. Baseball.

I have not seen it for a while, so I don't know how well it has held up, but it was part of a run of great baseball movies (The Natural, Bull Durham, Major League-the first one, Eight Men Out, The Sandlot, A League of Their Own) that came out in the mid 80's through the early 90's. I recommend all of them.
Yeah, but what about the baseball? ;)

Thanks for the response! That's why I tagged you - we had a baseball conversation before, I figured you'd have that perspective. From what you and @calodo2003 are saying, yeah, it really helps to have grown up in the US (maybe also some areas of Canada) to have a good feel for the film. For one, I've never played catch in my life. We'd go outside with a soccer ball, that's what you stereotypically do with friends or your dad in the Netherlands. I'm sure I'd better 'get' an equivalent film about soccer - and come to think of it, I know at least one Dutch soccer movie that probably wouldn't make sense to people anywhere else, just because of the social dynamics it portrays. (Well, Flanders I suppose.)

I'm not 'against' baseball btw. I liked Bull Durham, and The Natural (it's on my Netflix list) looks like a film I'll enjoy as well. I haven't seen the others; I know about A League Of Their Own, but somehow never got round to watching it when it was on tv.

Given the theme is equality I think it had a black comedic element that equality doesn't always have to be equal in good ways. I think it also buys into the "anti" agenda of all 3 films. Blue = anti-tragedy, White = anti-comedy and Red = anti-romance (thanks Wikipedia for the memory jog). A long time since I watched it and although I think I liked it it was a long way short of Blue.
Yeah, someone mentioned that 'anti' angle above as well, I think. For White, I think I get what the Director was trying to achieve, and I also figured this was the equality one. (Blue is probably liberté, and then Red fraternité?) It just didn't work so well for me, probably also because I don't like the relentless vengeance angle. (Also, that final shot of Julie Deply doing the gestures didn't work for me at all. Very weird.) I think I would have appreciated the film better if it had ended differently. Not sure how though: them getting back together would have been unfittingly sentimental, and what other variants are there that involve the ex-wife? But also otherwise, I felt the film was a little 'meh'; there just wasn't as much to it, for me.

Anyway, contradictory as it may sound, I am really looking forward to Red now. :)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Thanks for the response! That's why I tagged you - we had a baseball conversation before, I figured you'd have that perspective. From what you and @calodo2003 are saying, yeah, it really helps to have grown up in the US (maybe also some areas of Canada) to have a good feel for the film. For one, I've never played catch in my life. We'd go outside with a soccer ball, that's what you stereotypically do with friends or your dad in the Netherlands. I'm sure I'd better 'get' an equivalent film about soccer - and come to think of it, I know at least one Dutch soccer movie that probably wouldn't make sense to people anywhere else, just because of the social dynamics it portrays. (Well, Flanders I suppose.)

I'm not 'against' baseball btw. I liked Bull Durham, and The Natural (it's on my Netflix list) looks like a film I'll enjoy as well. I haven't seen the others; I know about A League Of Their Own, but somehow never got round to watching it when it was on tv.

Yeah, someone mentioned that 'anti' angle above as well, I think. For White, I think I get what the Director was trying to achieve, and I also figured this was the equality one. (Blue is probably liberté, and then Red fraternité?) It just didn't work so well for me, probably also because I don't like the relentless vengeance angle. (Also, that final shot of Julie Deply doing the gestures didn't work for me at all. Very weird.) I think I would have appreciated the film better if it had ended differently. Not sure how though: them getting back together would have been unfittingly sentimental, and what other variants are there that involve the ex-wife? But also otherwise, I felt the film was a little 'meh'; there just wasn't as much to it, for me.

Anyway, contradictory as it may sound, I am really looking forward to Red now. :)
Eight Men Out is a great movie and provides context to Field of Dreams as it is the story of the Black Sox scandal.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Eight Men Out is a great movie and provides context to Field of Dreams as it is the story of the Black Sox scandal.
Oh, that sounds good (potentially). Let's see if it's not Netflix over here.

Ah, nope. Well, I'll keep an eye out.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Bull Durham is a true classic, The Natural a bit less so. The Natural has more actual baseball being played than FoD, Bull Durham as well. The Natural will seem far more similar to FoD due to the feels.

@WI_Red mentioned ‘Eight Men Out,’ I would also second that. It is a good period piece about a true story of the scandal of the 1919 World Series, a movie that I think you would enjoy simply for the history.

- I sadly missed the Black Sox tie in between EMO & FoD as fecking obvious as it is.