Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

caid

I thought Get Out was his best movie but there wasn't that much between the 3. Its been overhyped, its not a truly great movie. Going in expecting that is going to lead to disappointment.
I think its in 8/10 territory. A high 8 i guess. Us and Nope might be in 7/10 or sneaking an 8 in Nope's case.

caid

Synchronic
Another Benson and Moorhead film who i've raved about a fair bit previously. I'd give this a 6/10 and have gone off them a fair bit over the years.
Theres nothing bad or weak about this film. Good performances, thought the script was very good to be honest, very natural. Interesting premise. Just dont think they really had a pay off for the premise. Lots of B storylines that didn't really go anywhere. Kind of seemed like contrivances to justify the actions in the main storyline. It was fine, pretty silly overall but fine. Forgettable and i'd struggle to think of anyone who would really enjoy it.

Drawfull

Synchronic
Another Benson and Moorhead film who i've raved about a fair bit previously. I'd give this a 6/10 and have gone off them a fair bit over the years.
Theres nothing bad or weak about this film. Good performances, thought the script was very good to be honest, very natural. Interesting premise. Just dont think they really had a pay off for the premise. Lots of B storylines that didn't really go anywhere. Kind of seemed like contrivances to justify the actions in the main storyline. It was fine, pretty silly overall but fine. Forgettable and i'd struggle to think of anyone who would really enjoy it.
Agree but I thought some of the scenarios went too far in time (which is a bit odd for time travel, but there you are - I had a similar complaint with Time Trap).

What other stuff have they done/been involved in? I loved Resolution and Endless, Spring not so much and less After Midnight. I'd still like to see more of their work though.

caid

Agree but I thought some of the scenarios went too far in time (which is a bit odd for time travel, but there you are - I had a similar complaint with Time Trap).

What other stuff have they done/been involved in? I loved Resolution and Endless, Spring not so much and less After Midnight. I'd still like to see more of their work though.
Think that's all of them. After Midnight was the one I couldn't remember and was kind of bad

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I also feel he's gotten better as a filmmaker and at infusing the themes into his films. I think Us was a step in the right direction (even though lots of people disliked it, I think), and Nope was really great.
Yeah, exactly. It's not so on the nose and a lot to think about afterwards. For Get Out, reading about it afterwards, I mostly find out about how all kinds in the film foreshadow later events or otherwise reference other parts of the film. For Nope, I found out about a lot of further themes and ideas that I hadn't thought of or recognized myself.

I guess I'm trying to see that Nope is deeper. :)

Drawfull

The Signal (2014)

It's plot is barely coherent until its denouement but overall I quite enjoyed this. Three HS kids follow a mysterious signal they've discovered to an abandoned house and it's weirder from there on. It's low budget, and it shows in parts but it's well-acted and looks better than you might expect. As an aside, I'm not sure why it's only just popped on iTunes, or when (or why) I'd mysteriously pre-ordered it but I'll probably watch it again.

6.5/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets Of Dumbledore
More of the same shit. Looks nice, probably decent for fans. Not really good for me but I can appreciate others might like it 4/10

Sweet Square

Take Out(2004)

Recently rerelease on criterion. A neorealism/documentary style film directed by Sean Baker & Shih-Ching Tsouabout about Chinese migrant delivery workers in New York.

The film itself is very solid and captures a certain 2000’s mood(Some scenes look incredible considering the tech and budget). It’s really the start of Baker becoming the American Ken Loach. Although imo the real gold is the bonus features. Listen to both directors takings the workaround such as using a broom as a boom mic as they were always broke, or paying $5 to random for cameo roles around New York. Also the interviews with the cast(Which a lot of non actors)are great as well.

If you like the Safdie brothers stuff(Without the insane anxiety)and low budget film making, it worth checking out.

8/10

Oldyella

Kate 8/10

solid action movie, a couple of clichés aside. Tokyo always looks so bloody good in these movies. Mary Elizabeth Winstead should be a much bigger name imo.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
All Quiet on the Western Front - amazing film that I probably never want to watch again. Can’t think of another that has done such a good job at capturing how horrific trench warfare was in WWI, and it looks and sounds incredible. But yeah, it’s grim, really, really grim.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
All Quiet on the Western Front - amazing film that I probably never want to watch again. Can’t think of another that has done such a good job at capturing how horrific trench warfare was in WWI, and it looks and sounds incredible. But yeah, it’s grim, really, really grim.
I’ve never seen such visceral, lifelike death scenes.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Kate 8/10

solid action movie, a couple of clichés aside. Tokyo always looks so bloody good in these movies. Mary Elizabeth Winstead should be a much bigger name imo.
Like it myself. You should see Tokyo vice and Giri Haji if you like these types of movies.

Although my only gripe with Kate is seeing her acting is exhausting i feel like I'm out of breath and out of time. Guess that's good acting

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Kate as an 8/10 is one of the most mental reviews I've seen. And I regularly make an effort to read Pauldy Son's reviews.

Drawfull

Beast

A Cujo-but-with-a--lion riff or 'what would happen if we made an entire movie based on the Jurassic Park kids stuck in the car' scene, it's just 90 minutes of Idris Elba trying to decide whether or not he's been mauled by a lion. It's actually not that bad, but it is very predictable and once you spot that IE can't decide if his shoulder is fecked or not, you can't unsee it. The penultimate scene is pretty good.

5/10

Last edited:

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Anyone has reccomendation good movies/TV series (7/10 minimum) set in North America ca 16th-18th centuries (early migrants arrival/pre Independence)?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Ambulance
Two brothers hijack an ambulance after a heist goes awry. It's the most Michael Bay of Michael Bay films. Switch your brain off and just enjoy the explosions. Jake Gyllenhaal carries the movie when things aren't going boom... He's always great 5.5/10

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Anyone has reccomendation good movies/TV series (7/10 minimum) set in North America ca 16th-18th centuries (early migrants arrival/pre Independence)?
  • Last of the Mohicans, set during the French and Indian 7 Years War.
  • The VVitch: a horror film but one of the most gorgeously realized examples of 1600’s New England.

Last edited:

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Word of warning about The Witch. They use old English which was a bit jarring. I couldn't get into it.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Barbarian

Went into this only knowing the bare bones synopsis and tbh that's probably a large part of why I enjoyed this so much. I can't even liken it to a certain film without spoiling it. Suffice to say if you like horrors/thrillers then stick it on your list and don't read anything beforehand. @Dirty Schwein - let me know what you think.
Barbarian
Finally saw it. I was left in two minds. On one hand, technically fantastic. The sound design/mix, editing, grade, cinematography and overall direction were superb. If I made a feature, I would love to have it build like the first half of this film... So much suspense and some genuinely scary moments... On the other hand, really really bad writing, especially character motivations. Characters doing dumb shit to move the plot forward is a massive pet peeve of mine, especially in recent horror movies, and here, nearly every character decision is baffling... Especially as it wouldn't have been that hard to solve these issues... It's easy to write a horrible situation for characters, the skill comes in HOW they get into/out of these situations... Overall it was enjoyable but maybe my expectations were too high 6.5/10

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Barbarian
Finally saw it. I was left in two minds. On one hand, technically fantastic. The sound design/mix, editing, grade, cinematography and overall direction were superb. If I made a feature, I would love to have it build like the first half of this film... So much suspense and some genuinely scary moments... On the other hand, really really bad writing, especially character motivations. Characters doing dumb shit to move the plot forward is a massive pet peeve of mine, especially in recent horror movies, and here, nearly every character decision is baffling... Especially as it wouldn't have been that hard to solve these issues... It's easy to write a horrible situation for characters, the skill comes in HOW they get into/out of these situations... Overall it was enjoyable but maybe my expectations were too high 6.5/10
You say this about pretty much every horror film :lol:

The reality is most people wouldn't react rationally in a lot of situations they're put in, and if anything, characters doing the "not dumb shit" in extreme tense moments would appear completely stupid, even if it makes sense on paper.

I don't think there's anything any of the characters do in this one that takes you out of the moment or makes you roll your eyes.

It was by far one of the best horror films in a long time, both from a technical and narrative standpoint, you're being way too harsh. It's not a masterpiece, but it's an excellent film in its genre.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Take Out(2004)

Recently rerelease on criterion. A neorealism/documentary style film directed by Sean Baker & Shih-Ching Tsouabout about Chinese migrant delivery workers in New York.

The film itself is very solid and captures a certain 2000’s mood(Some scenes look incredible considering the tech and budget). It’s really the start of Baker becoming the American Ken Loach. Although imo the real gold is the bonus features. Listen to both directors takings the workaround such as using a broom as a boom mic as they were always broke, or paying $5 to random for cameo roles around New York. Also the interviews with the cast(Which a lot of non actors)are great as well.

If you like the Safdie brothers stuff(Without the insane anxiety)and low budget film making, it worth checking out.

8/10
Nice one, I've been trying to watch Baker's early stuff but it's hard to find!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
You say this about pretty much every horror film :lol:

The reality is most people wouldn't react rationally in a lot of situations they're put in, and if anything, characters doing the "not dumb shit" in extreme tense moments would appear completely stupid, even if it makes sense on paper.

I don't think there's anything any of the characters do in this one that takes you out of the moment or makes you roll your eyes.

It was by far one of the best horror films in a long time, both from a technical and narrative standpoint, you're being way too harsh. It's not a masterpiece, but it's an excellent film in its genre.
Not sure bud, I much preferred Malignant, Incantation, Nightmare Alley, Antlers and The Nighthouse, all of which were in the last few years... But as I said, maybe my expectations were too high. The same happened with Babadook when I first watched it. So much hype that it couldn't realistically meet.

As for dumb decisions... There were many... Especially:

after she gets trapped in basement and then Skarsgaard comes home, he goes there and she fecking follows him in (nearly getting locked in again ffs) and sees that it goes deeper so she goes down even deeper and then finds him and he's telling her they need to go towards the monster :lol:

I know I say this a lot but a good, maybe great horror flick doesn't have this happen. Hereditary, It Follows etc.

caid

Not sure bud, I much preferred Malignant, Incantation, Nightmare Alley, Antlers and The Nighthouse, all of which were in the last few years... But as I said, maybe my expectations were too high. The same happened with Babadook when I first watched it. So much hype that it couldn't realistically meet.

As for dumb decisions... There were many... Especially:

after she gets trapped in basement and then Skarsgaard comes home, he goes there and she fecking follows him in (nearly getting locked in again ffs) and sees that it goes deeper so she goes down even deeper and then finds him and he's telling her they need to go towards the monster :lol:

I know I say this a lot but a good, maybe great horror flick doesn't have this happen. Hereditary, It Follows etc.
Dumb decisions are kind of the point. It's about being suspicious and sceptical of relatively benign people and situations, while immediately trusting terrible people and ignoring signs of trouble - long with his measuring tape

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Dumb decisions are kind of the point. It's about being suspicious and sceptical of relatively benign people and situations, while immediately trusting terrible people and ignoring signs of trouble - long with his measuring tape
Nah I'm not on board with that unfortunately. There are dumb decisions and there are DUMB decisions. The bit I highlighted in the spoiler is just pure fecking stupid and there really was no coming back from that. It just didn't make sense. It wasn't even a spur of the moment decision... It was thought out and idiotic. This is coming from a character who otherwise seemed very clued up and post going through a traumatic experience. Any normal person would never end up in that position after being given a second chance. I just don't buy it.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Also read that Zac Efron was meant to be playing Justin Long character but declined. Then he appears in Firestarter, which was genuinely one of the worst films I've seen this year :lol:

caid

Nah I'm not on board with that unfortunately. There are dumb decisions and there are DUMB decisions. The bit I highlighted in the spoiler is just pure fecking stupid and there really was no coming back from that. It just didn't make sense. It wasn't even a spur of the moment decision... It was thought out and idiotic. This is coming from a character who otherwise seemed very clued up and post going through a traumatic experience. Any normal person would never end up in that position after being given a second chance. I just don't buy it.
You get that there was a purpose to people making bad decisions? I mean it could have been a relatively run of the mill monster in the walls movie and they could have had some contrivance that made it more difficult to escape and get help but it wasn't trying to do that. They could have tried harder but I dont think it would havev helped with the larger point and messsage of the film. It kind of required bad decisions to be made. I kind of get being incredulous about some of the choices but i just think they make sense in the context of the movie.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
You get that there was a purpose to people making bad decisions? I mean it could have been a relatively run of the mill monster in the walls movie and they could have had some contrivance that made it more difficult to escape and get help but it wasn't trying to do that. They could have tried harder but I dont think it would havev helped with the larger point and messsage of the film. It kind of required bad decisions to be made. I kind of get being incredulous about some of the choices but i just think they make sense in the context of the movie.
I guess that's gone over my head. I loved the fact that she was distrusting of one guy and then hell bent on trusting the other. Stuff like that was fine. But other bits I was just saying "ffs don't be so thick". And when I start thinking like that, it just takes me out of the movie.

Saying that, I didn't hate it, it's still very good and I'm hoping it will be even better when I watch it again on digital release.

caid

I guess that's gone over my head. I loved the fact that she was distrusting of one guy and then hell bent on trusting the other. Stuff like that was fine. But other bits I was just saying "ffs don't be so thick". And when I start thinking like that, it just takes me out of the movie.

Saying that, I didn't hate it, it's still very good and I'm hoping it will be even better when I watch it again on digital release.
The entire movie is about trust. The homeless guy chasing her to the door, the cops, Skarsgaard being skecptical and checking the basement himself and not trusting she knows the way out. The flashbacks where a boiler suit makes you entirely trustworthy and safe. Multiple people overlooking weird, dodgy shit that could have put the whole messy situation to bed decades before it started. Longs total inability to recognise danger or red flags.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The entire movie is about trust. The homeless guy chasing her to the door, the cops, Skarsgaard being skecptical and checking the basement himself and not trusting she knows the way out. The flashbacks where a boiler suit makes you entirely trustworthy and safe. Multiple people overlooking weird, dodgy shit that could have put the whole messy situation to bed decades before it started. Longs total inability to recognise danger or red flags.
Yeah but don't you think it was tooooo heavy handed? Like, yeah people make bad judgement calls... Sometimes. Whereas here, every decision was that.

caid

Yeah but don't you think it was tooooo heavy handed? Like, yeah people make bad judgement calls... Sometimes. Whereas here, every decision was that.
Thats the point! The logic behind the judgements is stupid, dumb and broken. And im not talking about the logic behind how to deal with a monster in your basement. Move the context to another subject. One thats referenced in the film and is really, really hard to miss. They're pointing out how stupid these judgment calls are.
I mean they're literally everywhere.
I've been here 15 years and nothing bad has happened to me therefore its safe *CRASH*
The silly hysterical woman has gotten turned around and wants to go further into the cave (who the audience has followed down the stairs and knows is right), i will insist on being right by shouting to assert my dominance *CRASH*
"Why wouldn't you fight back" in the cage.
They're all over the place

They introduce the 2 monsters of the movie one after the other. One a perceived monster hiding in the basement of an isolated cabin in the middle of nowhere, in a storm, in the dark. Immediately followed by Justin Long blasting out a rock song driving down a highway in a sports car in the bright sun on the californian coast.
Bill Skaarsgaard is bending over backwards to be trustworthy and it being a horror movie it just makes you more suspicious. I didn't really think he was innocent until he was getting his head splatted against the wall. I thought he was trying to lure her into the basement or something before that.
Meanwhile the most obvious example of a total horror in the movie is really fecking casual. Hes going to the hardware buying rope and a shovel and looks sinister as feck, suspicious staff stops him and he mentions a baby at which point all suspicion evaporates and shes thinking nothing of a dude buying rope and setting up for a homebirth in detroit suburbia.
Follows woman from a shop, throws on boiler suit and makes a half assed attempt to say hes from power company and immediately gets waved through to wander around her house unsupervised. Gets home and is taking nappies and stuff out of his car when neighbour shows up who's oblivious to why this old single white dude is buying nappies. And rope.

The paranormal weird monster isn't really a monster or something to necessarily be afraid of. She makes people drink milk and tries to keep them safe which by horror standards is pretty tame. Its the popular, well known, colleague who you think your safe around. They could have made the movie about the old guy and justin long and had a hostel esque torture porn type thing, which would have been miserable and horrible. They used metaphor and made a fun monster movie instead with obvious social commentary. The stupid, wrong judgements calls are the entire point of the movie.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
We have Saints & Strangers on Netflix over here. It's a kind of series (two parts of about 90 min each) that describes the arrival and first year of the Pilgrims. Apparently, it's fairly historically accurate and more or less does justice to the Native Americans depicted (including extensive use of their real langauges). It's interesting if you want to get a sense of what life was like for them. I think you could give it 7/10 (but certainly not more).

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Thats the point! The logic behind the judgements is stupid, dumb and broken. And im not talking about the logic behind how to deal with a monster in your basement. Move the context to another subject. One thats referenced in the film and is really, really hard to miss. They're pointing out how stupid these judgment calls are.
I mean they're literally everywhere.
I've been here 15 years and nothing bad has happened to me therefore its safe *CRASH*
The silly hysterical woman has gotten turned around and wants to go further into the cave (who the audience has followed down the stairs and knows is right), i will insist on being right by shouting to assert my dominance *CRASH*
"Why wouldn't you fight back" in the cage.
They're all over the place

They introduce the 2 monsters of the movie one after the other. One a perceived monster hiding in the basement of an isolated cabin in the middle of nowhere, in a storm, in the dark. Immediately followed by Justin Long blasting out a rock song driving down a highway in a sports car in the bright sun on the californian coast.
Bill Skaarsgaard is bending over backwards to be trustworthy and it being a horror movie it just makes you more suspicious. I didn't really think he was innocent until he was getting his head splatted against the wall. I thought he was trying to lure her into the basement or something before that.
Meanwhile the most obvious example of a total horror in the movie is really fecking casual. Hes going to the hardware buying rope and a shovel and looks sinister as feck, suspicious staff stops him and he mentions a baby at which point all suspicion evaporates and shes thinking nothing of a dude buying rope and setting up for a homebirth in detroit suburbia.
Follows woman from a shop, throws on boiler suit and makes a half assed attempt to say hes from power company and immediately gets waved through to wander around her house unsupervised. Gets home and is taking nappies and stuff out of his car when neighbour shows up who's oblivious to why this old single white dude is buying nappies. And rope.

The paranormal weird monster isn't really a monster or something to necessarily be afraid of. She makes people drink milk and tries to keep them safe which by horror standards is pretty tame. Its the popular, well known, colleague who you think your safe around. They could have made the movie about the old guy and justin long and had a hostel esque torture porn type thing, which would have been miserable and horrible. They used metaphor and made a fun monster movie instead with obvious social commentary. The stupid, wrong judgements calls are the entire point of the movie.
The stuff you're talking.. actually let me spoiler as people might not have seen it:

The stuff you're talking about in your spoiler, I'm completely on board with. It's all related to dramatic irony. Tess doesn't know Keith is a normal dude, she don't know AJ is a rapist, the woman in the past don't know the old dude is a creepy fecker... That's all ok. We all make bad judgement calls and ignore obvious red flags. I have no issue whatsoever with any of that.

My issues come with the moments of suspense (when we and the character are finding things out at the same time). It's these moments that the character decisions can not be moronic (especially if it's not a snap decision). The best horror experiences, especially in a grounded film is when we put ourselves in the characters shoes... You can't do that here.

Let's take the scene where Keith returns home as this is the moment where I, and many others I'm sure, check out of the film.

Tess is established as a smart and thoughtful person. You can see that the way she demands to see Keith's booking reference etc. And her conversation about the difference in his men and women have/are forced to behave in situations like the one her and Keith find themselves in...

So after getting locked in the basement and finding a dungeon where someone clearly was locked up in, and the fact that we the audience and her the protagonist don't fully trust Keith (by design)... He goes in there to check it out, she's waiting at the door. Ok fine. That's what we would do potentially.

Then she goes after him and nearly locks herself in. Like, after an ordeal like the one she just had, she would be more careful. But feck it, maybe she wasn't thinking straight.

Then she walks back into the dark area and Keith is nowhere to be seen. At this point, she don't know Keith, she doesn't trust him... Why the feck don't she leave? But ok, maybe she's worried about him... Sure.

Then ANOTHER door is discovered, with stairs leading down to darkness and this guy she and we don't trust is calling her to help him...

I'm sorry but even my 5 year old would know what to do in that scenario :lol:

There is absolutely no fecking way she, a smart woman who already has said that women can't be as brazen as men in these situations and was so hesitant to trust Keith at the start would walk down into that dungeon. No way at all. No one would do that. Ever.

She realistically had two choices. Either get out and drive away or get out and call someone. Maybe the cops, maybe a friend and tell them where she is etc.

NOBODY would walk down there! It's a decision that setup the rest of the film and a decision that is so idiotic that from this point, I just don't care what happens because I know there's no way 99.9% of the people on this planet would end up in this situation.

This is not a bad judgement call... It's a lazy way to get her down there and move the plot forward.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Accursed
A nurse is asked to look after an elderly lady for a few days, not knowing that a demon hides within the patient. Run of the mill bullshit movie with no originality or depth. Had one or two ok scenes but generally just stupid. There was a scene where the girl sees her dead mother's ghost hanging from a tree. A shocking image right? Well it would have been if the mother hadn't suddenly opened her eyes, started laughing and tossing apples at the daughter ffs. Avoid 2/10

caid

The stuff you're talking.. actually let me spoiler as people might not have seen it:

The stuff you're talking about in your spoiler, I'm completely on board with. It's all related to dramatic irony. Tess doesn't know Keith is a normal dude, she don't know AJ is a rapist, the woman in the past don't know the old dude is a creepy fecker... That's all ok. We all make bad judgement calls and ignore obvious red flags. I have no issue whatsoever with any of that.

My issues come with the moments of suspense (when we and the character are finding things out at the same time). It's these moments that the character decisions can not be moronic (especially if it's not a snap decision). The best horror experiences, especially in a grounded film is when we put ourselves in the characters shoes... You can't do that here.

Let's take the scene where Keith returns home as this is the moment where I, and many others I'm sure, check out of the film.

Tess is established as a smart and thoughtful person. You can see that the way she demands to see Keith's booking reference etc. And her conversation about the difference in his men and women have/are forced to behave in situations like the one her and Keith find themselves in...

So after getting locked in the basement and finding a dungeon where someone clearly was locked up in, and the fact that we the audience and her the protagonist don't fully trust Keith (by design)... He goes in there to check it out, she's waiting at the door. Ok fine. That's what we would do potentially.

Then she goes after him and nearly locks herself in. Like, after an ordeal like the one she just had, she would be more careful. But feck it, maybe she wasn't thinking straight.

Then she walks back into the dark area and Keith is nowhere to be seen. At this point, she don't know Keith, she doesn't trust him... Why the feck don't she leave? But ok, maybe she's worried about him... Sure.

Then ANOTHER door is discovered, with stairs leading down to darkness and this guy she and we don't trust is calling her to help him...

I'm sorry but even my 5 year old would know what to do in that scenario :lol:

There is absolutely no fecking way she, a smart woman who already has said that women can't be as brazen as men in these situations and was so hesitant to trust Keith at the start would walk down into that dungeon. No way at all. No one would do that. Ever.

She realistically had two choices. Either get out and drive away or get out and call someone. Maybe the cops, maybe a friend and tell them where she is etc.

NOBODY would walk down there! It's a decision that setup the rest of the film and a decision that is so idiotic that from this point, I just don't care what happens because I know there's no way 99.9% of the people on this planet would end up in this situation.

This is not a bad judgement call... It's a lazy way to get her down there and move the plot forward.
Yeah i hit that 'why do they keep doing dumb things' barrier pretty early, it just keeps throwing them at you again and again. I guess i have a higher tolerance for it? Or I just accepted it was intentional and they're fecking with me at some point? Justin Long finally saying what the feck but its about the room being a strange shape made me laugh and i was kind of on board with it from there?
I've spent the last couple of weeks thinking about random bits of the movie which I thought were clever or funny in hindsight so i guess i enjoyed it. I thought the grounded, horror experience you talk about was a bit of an afterthought, a vehicle to tell a story. Which might be another marmite thing that will annoy people. It felt intentionally lazy about explaining why they're staying in a weird haunted cabin in an isolated area and dont just ring the police. Or leave.
I didn't really get Tess actions, at any point. That felt like i was missing something mostly. Or maybe it was just a lazy way to drag her from scene to scene as you say. It feels like something is being implied about her background that i just didn't get and might add some context? She could have gotten back in her car and drove to some crappy motel or b&b right at the start of the movie but she kept hanging around or going back into the house. She seems kind of, not desperate but overly keen on gaining some connection with random guys? Her not texting her mother or sister or roommate or whatever seemed weird or notable. Along with picking up and moving to a random city.
Sorry i'll stop ranting at you about it now.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yeah i hit that 'why do they keep doing dumb things' barrier pretty early, it just keeps throwing them at you again and again. I guess i have a higher tolerance for it? Or I just accepted it was intentional and they're fecking with me at some point? Justin Long finally saying what the feck but its about the room being a strange shape made me laugh and i was kind of on board with it from there?
I've spent the last couple of weeks thinking about random bits of the movie which I thought were clever or funny in hindsight so i guess i enjoyed it. I thought the grounded, horror experience you talk about was a bit of an afterthought, a vehicle to tell a story. Which might be another marmite thing that will annoy people. It felt intentionally lazy about explaining why they're staying in a weird haunted cabin in an isolated area and dont just ring the police. Or leave.
I didn't really get Tess actions, at any point. That felt like i was missing something mostly. Or maybe it was just a lazy way to drag her from scene to scene as you say. It feels like something is being implied about her background that i just didn't get and might add some context? She could have gotten back in her car and drove to some crappy motel or b&b right at the start of the movie but she kept hanging around or going back into the house. She seems kind of, not desperate but overly keen on gaining some connection with random guys? Her not texting her mother or sister or roommate or whatever seemed weird or notable. Along with picking up and moving to a random city.
Sorry i'll stop ranting at you about it now.
No need to apologise mate, I love watching a film and discussing it, even if we don't get any closer to shifting each others opinions. Normally my mind can be changed with the right arguement but the decisions thing is something that just takes me out of a movie and whether intentional or not, I won't ever be on board with it.

But like I said, I did enjoy it overall and rather would watch something like this than 90% of the bullshit horror out there at the moment :lol:

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
We have Saints & Strangers on Netflix over here. It's a kind of series (two parts of about 90 min each) that describes the arrival and first year of the Pilgrims. Apparently, it's fairly historically accurate and more or less does justice to the Native Americans depicted (including extensive use of their real langauges). It's interesting if you want to get a sense of what life was like for them. I think you could give it 7/10 (but certainly not more).
Just finished watching it. It's a good movie and as you said historically pretty accurate.
I'd give it 6.5/10.