Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Smile

Finally got round to seeing this last night and totally opposite view to @Dirty Schwein I'm afraid. Thought this was just a subpar rip off of 'It Follows' with the STD subtext replaced with mental health. It also wasn't scary in the slightest although the bit where
her sisters head flopped down outside the car
did make me laugh.

Barbarian the far superior film for me.

Meh/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Smile

Finally got round to seeing this last night and totally opposite view to @Dirty Schwein I'm afraid. Thought this was just a subpar rip off of 'It Follows' with the STD subtext replaced with mental health. It also wasn't scary in the slightest although the bit where
her sisters head flopped down outside the car
did make me laugh.

Barbarian the far superior film for me.

Meh/10
I think this is the general consensus. I also think Smile was just a bit more fun. Loved the spoilered bit and the first time you saw the smile.

I listened to a pod with the director of Barbarian and despite what someone here was saying about the bad midpoint decision being intentional... The director pretty much confirmed that he didn't know how to get her back in the position... So just wrote it in.

Smile > Barbarian

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think this is the general consensus. I also think Smile was just a bit more fun. Loved the spoilered bit and the first time you saw the smile.

I listened to a pod with the director of Barbarian and despite what someone here was saying about the bad midpoint decision being intentional... The director pretty much confirmed that he didn't know how to get her back in the position... So just wrote it in.

Smile > Barbarian
Agree to disagree.

You stupid idiot. :)

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
No Country For Old Men
After my car got stolen yesterday I thought I'll watch a movie about the consequences of theft... I quickly realised I'm not Javier Bardem :lol: Love this movie though 8/10

Idxomer

Terrible list, so many forgettable films that have no business being there.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
San Andreas
Stupid, silly disaster movie with the Rock. Is exactly what you think it will be 5.5/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
San Andreas
Stupid, silly disaster movie with the Rock. Is exactly what you think it will be 5.5/10
Oh yeah that was terrible. Almost as bad as Smile.

Nah just teasing but it was bad. How does it get an above average rating from you? I don't do ratings, but if I did, I'd probably give it a 1.5 or 2 :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

Nah just teasing but it was bad. How does it get an above average rating from you? I don't do ratings, but if I did, I'd probably give it a 1.5 or 2 :lol:
Nah I'm like this was designed to be a specific type of film and it hits that criteria so it instantly gets a 5. The .5 extra because The Rock is fun to watch.

Gavinb33

Depends on the movie surely if you go into a film knowing its the Rock and earthquakes you know what you're getting so as long as you are entertained for 1.5 hours that's a 5 rating, if you're expectations of the movie were any higher then the rating gets lower.

I love disaster movies this one, the day after tomorrow, twister, deep impact, Armageddon etc they are proper shite but its a guilty pleasure I cannot resist them

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
What happened to your car?
Some absolute bellend swiped my keys and stole my car (with all my child seats, RayBans etc).

There's CCTV, only one suspect and a 30 minutes window where it could have happened and yet the police are too fecking stupid/lazy/busy to do anything about it.

They spotted the car 2 miles from the station and still didn't go to it for 45 minutes and then wondered where it had gone.

I have lost complete faith in those idiots.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Some absolute bellend swiped my keys and stole my car (with all my child seats, RayBans etc).

There's CCTV, only one suspect and a 30 minutes window where it could have happened and yet the police are too fecking stupid/lazy/busy to do anything about it.

They spotted the car 2 miles from the station and still didn't go to it for 45 minutes and then wondered where it had gone.

I have lost complete faith in those idiots.
Well that's proper annoying. I hope it all gets sorted quickly (even if you have to go all Nic Cage on them)

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Nah I'm like this was designed to be a specific type of film and it hits that criteria so it instantly gets a 5. The .5 extra because The Rock is fun to watch.
Depends on the movie surely if you go into a film knowing its the Rock and earthquakes you know what you're getting so as long as you are entertained for 1.5 hours that's a 5 rating, if you're expectations of the movie were any higher then the rating gets lower.

I love disaster movies this one, the day after tomorrow, twister, deep impact, Armageddon etc they are proper shite but its a guilty pleasure I cannot resist them
Oh I love disaster movies and agree they should be judged within the context of the genre - but I thought San Andreas was just laughably bad. I thought the one in the tower (Skyscraper?) was better.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

Exactly my thinking.
Well that's proper annoying. I hope it all gets sorted quickly (even if you have to go all Nic Cage on them)
Thanks mate. Looking for new cars. Might just finally have that excuse to get a Tesla.

Gavinb33

Oh I love disaster movies and agree they should be judged within the context of the genre - but I thought San Andreas was just laughably bad. I thought the one in the tower (Skyscraper?) was better.
Yeah Skyscraper was the movie it was ok, I think I preferred San Andreas though, whilst a kind of disaster movie Skyscraper was still the standard bad guys take over a tower malarkey like a bad Die Hard rather than someone against nature so to speak

AaronRedDevil

Violent Night.

Went into this movie without watching the trailers for this and was very surprised. It was very entertaining. Had a mix of Die Hard 1&2 along with Home Alone. Really enjoyed it. Best Christmas movie in years. 8/10

pauldyson1uk

Smile

I thought it was excellent, story , acting, filming.
While I did not find it scary, the jump scenes made me jump, the last 15 mins was OK, if preditable.
The ending was left wide open for a second and I would watch it.
A very well made horror.

7/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Smile

I thought it was excellent, story , acting, filming.
While I did not find it scary, the jump scenes made me jump, the last 15 mins was OK, if preditable.
The ending was left wide open for a second and I would watch it.
A very well made horror.

7/10
I knew you would be with me on this. feck everyone else on this thread. Pauldy & DS are the kings around these parts...

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
New S&S list.

#95, #30 and etc laughable. Canon haven list has become ímdb top 250-fied.

That’s a shit list… like they’ve said “what movies will make us look edgy and cool and knowledgeable?”

There’s a couple that are fine and a few that could have a claim (subjective) but the rest… :nono:

When I’m reading reviews, I’ll always try to find a Roger Ebert review (and a couple of others). Partly because he knows (knew) films, partly because his reviews were balanced/informative but also because he wasn’t a film snob…. a good film was a good film regardless of genre, age or whether it was in black and white or not.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The Swimmers - a very powerful and emotional film that is based on true events. The story really gives perspective of the desperate struggles too many people face each day. Cinematography was very impressive. 9/10.

pauldyson1uk

Barbarian

A woman staying at an Airbnb discovers that the house she has rented is not what it seems.
For me it was a film of thirds 2/3 was good very good, the last 1/3 was not so.
It was scary in places it was tense and had suspense in it, the jump scenes worked well.
There was a lack of back story, yes there was hints , but not enough.
Overall a decent film , just lacking a good ending.

6/10
So Smile v Barbarian , Smile was the winner for me.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
No Country For Old Men
After my car got stolen yesterday I thought I'll watch a movie about the consequences of theft... I quickly realised I'm not Javier Bardem :lol: Love this movie though 8/10
Only an 8???

It's probably in my top 10 films of all time. Absolutely adore it and I must have seen it 10 times maybe more. Javier Bardem is one scary MF in that film.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Barbarian

A woman staying at an Airbnb discovers that the house she has rented is not what it seems.
For me it was a film of thirds 2/3 was good very good, the last 1/3 was not so.
It was scary in places it was tense and had suspense in it, the jump scenes worked well.
There was a lack of back story, yes there was hints , but not enough.
Overall a decent film , just lacking a good ending.

6/10
So Smile v Barbarian , Smile was the winner for me.
Are you... Me?
Only an 8???

It's probably in my top 10 films of all time. Absolutely adore it and I must have seen it 10 times maybe more. Javier Bardem is one scary MF in that film.
It's fantastic and probably deserves higher to be honest but 8 is still a good score! This probably more like 8.5 if this was the first time I saw it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Triangle of Sadness… enjoyed the first two acts a lot but the whole thing fell apart in the third act for me. Wished they had kept it going as it was instead. Worth a watch, though.

was shocked to learn after that the main actress died recently, what a shame. She was great.

flameinthesun

Just watched Matchpoint by Woody Allen. Was an interesting ride, had a decent bit of suspense and flowed quite well. It did kinda go from 0-60 a bit near the end but all in all a good movie. The main actor Jonathan Rhys Myers performance felt a bit hammy and the dialogue in general was a bit all over the place for me. I would give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.