Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

buckooo1978

Anyone see that 47 Ronin yet?

Thought the trailer looked good but reviews are poor - 11% on Rotten Tomatoes

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

Masterpiece!! i watched this over 15 years ago probably, watched it again last night. Remains just as good as i remembered. PLus now i get some jokes, lines, i didn't when younger.

Its a very funny movie, with some epic dialogues. Lo Pan still creeps me out, but now i realize he was one of the funniest characters.

Carpenter's best (or at least my favorite)

9/10

pauldyson1uk

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

Masterpiece!! i watched this over 15 years ago probably, watched it again last night. Remains just as good as i remembered. PLus now i get some jokes, lines, i didn't when younger.

Its a very funny movie, with some epic dialogues. Lo Pan still creeps me out, but now i realize he was one of the funniest characters.

Carpenter's best (or at least my favorite)

9/10
Love this film seen it many times.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Hobbit Part 2 - whatever it's called I enjoyed the first part and this was equally entertaining. However, this could clearly have been done in 2 films and it would have been far better for it. They had to introduce new characters and back story related to LOTR to stretch this out to 2hrs 40mins. Two 3 hour movies would have been more than enough. 8/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Red Dog was a great feel good Aussie film and Mary and Max was a masterpiece. Good Aussie films are fewer and further between than was once the case but when they are good they are very good.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Elysium Good but a disappointment after District 9. And what a waste of Jodie Foster. Entertaining enough but forgettable. 7/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Red Dog was a great feel good Aussie film and Mary and Max was a masterpiece. Good Aussie films are fewer and further between than was once the case but when they are good they are very good.
I haven't seen a single new Australian film in 2013 which depresses me immensely. It's more to do with the state of the industry than lack of talent though.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
John Hillcoat, director of the Proposition, is massively talented. As I said, loved the Proposition, and also his two following films, The Road and Lawless.

Keenst

I didn't like Lawless either, The Road was very good though. Must check out the Proposition.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Lawless had a magnificent soundtrack.
By Nick Cave I think, like the Road and the Proposition. I think Cave also wrote the scenario. Don't know how Lawless can be qualified as 'crap' when you see the garbage that comes out on a regular basis. Even if it's not to your liking, the performances, the music and the cinematography are enough to place it higher than many releases.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
The Pervert's Guide to Ideology - Philosopher and psychoanalyst Slavoj Zizek muses on cinema and how films convey ideology. Rich, engaging and stimulating, it's a better effort than his earlier The Pervert's Guide to Cinema,

He muses on things besides cinema. He talks about "Ode to Joy" being a vacant symbol, Rammstein mocking nazism, and something about Stalin. Good movie.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I saw a pretty good documentary about Australian grindhouse films with QT doing a lot of the talking. Can't recall the name of it though.

Silva

If you're a fan of Zizek there's a lot of videos of him on youtube, including many of his full lectures.

This is his short RSA Animated lecture (The entire RSA animated series is quite good, if you're into sociology, anthropology, ethics, economics & politics)

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Fruitvale Station - Based on the true story of Oscar Grant, who was killed at Fruitvale BART Station by a BART police officer in 2009. Michael B. Jordan (Wallace in The Wire) gives an accomplished performance in the lead role. Very much recommended and easy to see why it's been critically acclaimed in various end-of-year lists. 8/10

12 Years A Slave - Another powerful film, this one depicts the true life story of Solomon Northup, a free black man born in New York who was kidnapped and sold into slavery in Washington D.C. Northup worked on various plantations in Louisana before his release twelve years later. Directed by Steve McQueen, starring Chiwetel Ejiofor in the lead role as Northup and other commendable performances from Michael Fassbender, Paul Dano, Paul Giamatti and Brad Pitt, it's very much deserving of the praise it's currently receiving. Tough viewing in periods, but this is essential cinema. 9/10

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Watched Gravity at home which was probably an error. Found it boring really despite looking impressive. Clooney is such a giant douchebag I don't knoe how anyone can take his samey corney shit seriously anymore.

Need to have a look at American Hustle next as that looks right up my street.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I prefer 2 but it is close.

Pacino and De Niro are brilliant in the sequel and prequel sections of PArt II respectively. Pacino edges it I'd say. I'm going to have to watch them again soon.

pauldyson1uk

I prefer 2 but it is close.

Pacino and De Niro are brilliant in the sequel and prequel sections of PArt II respectively. Pacino edges it I'd say. I'm going to have to watch them again soon.

I was thinking the same, I like the 2 story lines in 2, but like you say it is very close.
I am going to watch 3 tonight, I know it has been slatted but I want to finish the trilogy off.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
American Hustle 7/10
Fantastically acted, superb dialogue. Everyone's performance in this incredible. The wardrobe, soundtrack, cinematography all amazing yet I felt so disappointed at the end. With these con/trickster films there's always the final con reveal the one that saves the day the one that tricked everyone. You automatically expect it and yes American Hustle has one. It's just so mediocre that it leaves the film with damp squib instead of the grand finale it was building up to. Still a must see just for the tour de force that is the dialogue and acting. How did that ice fishing story end. It's going to annoy the hell out of me.

Saving Mr Banks 7/10
Disney's quick lets see if we can get some gongs for awards season. Again the performances are fantastic throughout. The humour is superb and the performances also incredible. The flash backs are wonderful and Colin Farrell shows again why he is so underrated and actor. Hanks Walt impersonation is great and Emma Thompsons P.L Travers is a tour de force. Expect her up for actress awards. I am a huge fan of the Mary Poppins film but I also know the story behind the making of it and this is where Disney kind of lost their bravery. Instead of it being this incredible battle between the goliath of Disney and this over compensating protective author. Instead it's turned into a voyage of self discovery for Thompsons character and leads to an amicable ending for all involved. Unlike the reality which left Travers fuming and making sure in her will when she passed away that none of her work was to be ever allowed into the hands of Disney ever again. Now I don't expect Disney to shoot itself in the foot by being to honest but the saccharine did annoy. Still a wonderful film just for watching Thompsons Travers turn grown men into school boys.