Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

pauldyson1uk

Complete Unknown

As a man contemplates moving to a new state with his wife for her graduate program, an old flame - a woman who often changes identities - reenters his life at a birthday dinner party.
Billed has a mystery film, the only mystery is how I lasted for 53 mins , it is dreadful.
Pity because I like Rachel Weisz.
I cant even give it a score.

Revolt

The story of humankind's last stand against a cataclysmic alien invasion. In the war-ravaged African countryside, a U.S. soldier and a French foreign aid worker team up to survive the alien onslaught. Their bond will be tested as they search for refuge across a crumbling world.

War of the Worlds with good actors and not enough money.
A very decent sci-fi with acceptable writing and a few original and inspired scenes in a good setting with good actors filmed properly, the whole is entertaining and the art department did an outstanding job.
Lee Pace and
Bérénice Marlohe both excellent.

8/10

Leatherface

A teenage Leatherface escapes from a mental hospital with three other inmates, kidnapping a young nurse and taking her on a road trip from hell while being pursued by an equally deranged lawman out for revenge.
Has expected this has plenty of blood and gore, but not has much as I expected.
I m not a massive fan of the Texas Chainsaw and this has not changed my mind.

6/10

buchansleftleg

Spectre- The latest James Bond film. I always leave a bit of time before watching these films as they tend to divide opinion. Also so much of the British film industry depends on the franchise you always sense that they get a free ride from the uk press.

After a good opening setup in Mexico we get a very underwhelming fight on a helicopter to finish. And that just about sums up the whole film. Good set up and then underwhelming conclusions.

Christopher Waltz can make anything sound intriguing but he is wasted as the villain here. I won't give any spoilers away but again the masterplan / dastardly deed/ revelations are all a bit meh.

Could have easily lost 40 minutes from the running time and felt it stagnated pace about 3 times.

Surprisingly bad film, actually got bored which is a first for a Bond film

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
IT (2017)

Good fun. They kinda copy a lot from Stranger Things.

Sadly, the horror element was missing. Good intro, but after that it was CGI and jump scares.

Hopefully, the second part will be more adult oriented.

6/10

A tv series could do much more justice.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Wonder Woman: It's a bit shit isn't it? CG is horrendous, fighting unexciting. Pine and his guys were disinteresting and the villain was boring. The acting from the Nazi and mask girl was weird at times. Like they were portraying villains in a children's play.

So many unneccessary things and a plot so unremarkable that I can barely remember what it was about having just finished the movie.

Only thing decent about the movie was Gal Gadot which is something the DC people can take away from it but it still won't save them from churning out mediocre movies.

2/5

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
IT
Really enjoyed the technical aspects of this film. Lighting, Camera work, set design, colour palettes etc. Everything in this department felt spot on. The acting was really good and I really enjoyed the coming of age narrative. Every character had a decent amount of screen time so that you care for each one (except the Jew one). Loved the kid from stranger things.

BUT, the opening segments for each kid felt choppy, the film wasn't scary, especially when pennywise was on screen. Many plot holes. Should have done more practical effects and less CGI, this is my biggest gripe. Can't stand CGI. Overall though it was a decent film 7.5/10

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
High Voltage (1997): I've decided that my life was missing a healthy dose of B-movies. This was great fun. A little slow in the beginning, but there is a marvelous twist (which makes absolutely no sense) and a combination of great action and stunts which are obviously terrible, and weird scenes where you don't know if it's being played for laughs or not.
The plot is easy to follow and characters are defined and have some basic development.
I was entertained, 7/10.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129992/

Last edited:

spwd

House on elm lake.

1/10, ive rated it on IMDB too, apparently it was remade with a budget but it's absolutely shockingly bad, do not waste your time on it, how the original could be be worse i do not know.

pauldyson1uk

House on Elm Lake

A man convinced that Lucifer was within him brutally murdered his wife and child in satanic sacrifice. Now, years later, Eric, Hayley and their daughter Penny, move into the same house ...
WOW the start was just brutal !!
The acting is questionable most of the time.
The 2 girls know about the house and still choose to use a ouuija board :wenger:
They make some strange choices.
Just a poor effort.

2/10

47 Meters Down

Two sisters vacationing in Mexico are trapped in a shark cage at the bottom of the ocean. With less than an hour of oxygen left and great white sharks circling nearby, they must fight to survive.
It was better than I expected, pretty simple story done pretty well.

5/10

buchansleftleg

Alien Covenant. Had sworn never to watch this.

Getting to know the crew, the links to Alien, the links to Prometheus, James Franco were all dull as heck.

All that hoary Milton stuff, David's Pandemonium, the finger fecking incest reworking of Narcissus, the Laurel and Hardy slip n sliding landing craft disaster, the Christ/Vitruvian neomorph, the obnoxiously smug crew getting Agatha Christied, the chop socky and the telegraphed end was all fun as hell.

Glad I did.
I enjoyed it too. Went in with lowered expectations and really found it thought provoking.

I suspect a few people have not twigged that this is not the same planet from Prometheus as this is not telegraphed.

I predict it will be a grower....everyone disliked the original until it got a big video following.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Malcolm X (1992): 7.5/10

It was a long movie but I've finally watched it. Denzel Washington is just an amazing actor as usual, what a screen presence. I know little about the Nation of Islam, Malcolm X and Elijah Muhammad but I got the impression that the movie wasn't favorable towards the Nation of Islam and Elijah Muhammad. Seems to me they were in it solely for the money and did whatever they wanted anyway, even if it contrasted Islamic beliefs.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Finally got around to watching Alien: Covenant yesterday.

I enjoyed it fine, much better than Prometheus which was awful.

Covenant still suffered from the same problems that plagued prometheus, namely the paper thin characters. There was one scene where Danny Mcbride's character mentioned something about his wife, who was down on the planet with the rest of the crew, and that just came so far out of left field for me. I had absolutely no idea he was even married and i'm still not 100% sure what character he was even talking about.

These relationships were never established. As a result they just became fodder for the alien to pick off and there was absolutely no tension involved due to my apathy towards these individuals.

Also, that supposed "twist" at the end was so telegraphed that if you didn't see it coming then you're really not trying. It was pretty awfully handled.

I liked Fassbenders performance. He was fantastic as always and was the highlight of the film, as he was in prometheus. And whatever you may think of Ridley Scott the man knows how to create worlds. The film was stunning and done a great job in convincing me that this world and "universe" existed, so there was some superficial fun to have there.

Oh, and i don't know if it's just me, but some of the CGI was bloody terrible considering the rest of the movie was so sumptuous.

GBBQ

Sully - Watched it over the weekend and was pretty underwhelmed by it. I suppose realistically it was an incident that happened shortly after take off and concluded not long after so its hard to wring much suspense out of that specific situation but when your lead character is such a wet blanket it leaves very little to hang a narrative on. It managed to make a miraculous escape seem pedestrian. 4/10

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Can anyone advise on IT?

Hoping to watch it tonight but the girlfriend is pretty poor with horror films. She really enjoyed It Follows but anything too gruesome or with too many jump scares and she won't be able to handle it. Would that apply to IT, or should she be ok? Ta.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Can anyone advise on IT?

Hoping to watch it tonight but the girlfriend is pretty poor with horror films. She really enjoyed It Follows but anything too gruesome or with too many jump scares and she won't be able to handle it. Would that apply to IT, or should she be ok? Ta.
Lot of jump scares etc. Pretty conventional horror.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Can anyone advise on IT?

Didn't think it was scary at all. My missis gets scared easy but even she didn't find it scary. People say there are many jump scares, but only once did I get 'jumped'. Think of it as a coming of age sorry with a horror backdrop.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Lot of jump scares etc. Pretty conventional horror.
Didn't think it was scary at all. My missis gets scared easy but even she didn't find it scary. People say there are many jump scares, but only once did I get 'jumped'. Think of it as a coming of age sorry with a horror backdrop.
Cheers both, very useful.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Can anyone advise on IT?

It has jump scares, but it isn't scary. My missus gets scared really easily, and whilst she had a jump at the right moments, there's nothing truly terrifying or anything that will stay with you in a scary sense once you leave the film.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Zootopia - Great Disney film. It's smart, has strong world-building, lots of funny moments, a fun story and is just a really entertaining time all round.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone know some good crime or drama movies which take place in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s? Having watched Malcolm X (1992) I really enjoyed the 1st part of the movie where Malcolm X is hustling in the 1940s.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Anyone know some good crime or drama movies which take place in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s? Having watched Malcolm X (1992) I really enjoyed the 1st part of the movie where Malcolm X is hustling in the 1940s.
You won't find many better then LA Confidential.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

Once Upon A Time In America is a masterpiece if you haven't seen it. Takes place in New York in the '20s and '30s. Stars Robert De Niro, James Woods and Joe Pesci. An absolutely amazing film - one of the best.

Beware, it has a pretty epic running time! Just shy of 4 hours.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Once Upon A Time In America is a masterpiece if you haven't seen it. Takes place in New York in the '20s and '30s. Stars Robert De Niro, James Woods and Joe Pesci. An absolutely amazing film - one of the best.

Beware, it has a pretty epic running time! Just shy of 4 hours.
I've watched it already. Incredible movie indeed. I've also already seen The Godfather movies and LA Confidential as well as the Untouchables.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
On the Waterfront, a Brando classic.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Also Road to Perdition I think is set in the 20s or 30s.