Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
What was great about it? None of it made any sense.
I think it all made sense no?

Bale as a kid was present in London when they found an ancient chambre with a female dragon hibernating. Female woke up and burnt all of London and then had many babies. I can't remember the exact reason why the larger dragon attacked the castle though, was something about it being drawn out by the hunters? I remember the bit with them free falling and getting eaten. Dragon then goes to castle and burns everyone. Bale in a fit of rage seeking vengeance goes back to London to kill the mummy Dragon. Which he does. The end.

I don't remember many plot holes last time I watched it which was a few years ago?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
First of all that was the male in the tunnel. Then they go on about these dragons being everywhere with amazing eyesight yet they are living in a big castle with lights and shit. Yanks are flying helicopters and driving big tanks about unhassled. Then this big plan to kill a dragon fails when they don't predict that the dragon will actually attack them as they get close to it. Bale knows every inch of London including subterranean tunnels even though he was just a kid when it happened, they also somehow figured out that there is just one male dragon which turns out to be ridiculously easy to kill with an arrow even though nukes somehow failed to kill it before.

There's plenty more I'm sure.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Bite size Coen brothers set in the Wild West. You know what to expect...gorgeous cinematography, comic violence and existential humour. Loved it.
I really enjoyed this movie. Best thing I've seen in a while

Notorious

The Visit (2015)

I've never seen an old granny move so fast lol, there are a few funny moments in this but it's not scary enough for a horror. The two younger actors were really good but overall I found it a little boring. Also little spoiler warning, as if that girl would have gone down to the basement at the end or even have the nerve to after everything that had happened...in real life her first thought would have been to just get out the house quick and get help for her little brother... 4/10

Oasis: Supersonic (2016)

This documentary starts off interesting enough when you hear about Oasis in the early days and before they were famous, after that it felt a bit like it was repeating stuff I've heard before. I'm a fan of Oasis and this is worth a look but I don't think there is much here to really lift it above other documentaries about them that you've probably already seen on tv. 5.5/10

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa (2013)

The BBC series had better writing and the situations Alan Partridge got into felt more real which in turn made it much funnier. This big screen version is crap and feels completely different, it's much more OTT and silly, there are only a few laughs. 3/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Rise Of The Guardians
When the evil spirit Pitch launches an assault on Earth, the Immortal Guardians team up to protect the innocence of children all around the world. Stuck this on for my daughter and instead I was the one really enjoying it (despite her cries to switch to Peppa Pig which I ignored :lol:). Liked most of the characters and realised that I also liked most of the voice actors. The story was fun with a good message behind it. Just had a surprisingly good time with it 7/10

Hostile

Juliette, a lone survivor of an apocalyptic era, fights to survive against hunger, thirst, a broken leg and strange, disturbing creatures that only come out at nighttime. Was going to switch it off due to the super slow start but glad I stuck with it. Loved how they used the past falshbacks aesthetically as well as thematically and it was in the end, quite a touching movie, which isn't usually the case with post-apocalyptic monster movies 6/10

Battle: Los Angeles

A squad of U.S. Marines becomes the last line of defense against a global invasion. I remember watching this when it came out and not hating it but on a fresh new watch, I can safely say it's awful. Boring, generic script, cardboard cutout characters, dialogue that was probably written by a 10 year old and most annoyingly, the aliens looked like something out of a ps1 game. But it is in the league of SO BAD IT'S FUNNY so that's a plus 2/10

The Predator

Finally seen this. The original Predator is one of my favourite films of all time so I was worried going into this but really wanted to give it a chance. I read some horrible things about it so kept expectations low. It was definitely not what I was expecting at all. VERY different feel to the original but it's for a new audience so I had to switch off from trying to compare it to the original. As a standalone movie, it was still not great. Felt like a mess. It really felt like someone trying to impersonate a Shane Black movie and I feel that if they focused more on the rag-tag group of soldiers, made it a bit funnier and added some more violence, it had the potential to be exciting but it felt like it was made by committee. I think if they fused these characters into the Adrian Brody Predator movie, we could have ended up with something decent 4/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Widows

It’s ok. Stylish, nicely shot and decent performances throughout. However, the plot is all over the place and the heist which is so central to the story is just a bit meh. The whole thing is surprisingly middle of the road. A 6/10 at best. The rave reviews it’s been getting are well over the top.

Is it just me or are critics much more likely to get carried away about movies with progressive/right on politics? Throw in a solid performance from an African American female lead and they collectively wet their knickers over a relatively run of the mill heist movie. It was no Heat, put it that way!
So I got outvoted and ended up seeing Widows and... it’s great. The first McQueen film I’ve actually enjoyed. It’s just a first rate thriller. And it’s not overly woke at all.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So I got outvoted and ended up seeing Widows and... it’s great. The first McQueen film I’ve actually enjoyed. It’s just a first rate thriller. And it’s not overly woke at all.
Really?! Would love to hear your opinion on some of the more ludicrous elements of the plot.

Are we really supposed to believe that an acutely bereaving widow wouldn't fecking open a door to make absolutely sure that her beloved dead husband was still alive? (rhetorical question)

Why was Liam Neeson so desperate for cash he was willing to murder said widow when he had already made an absolute shitload of money from the opening heist?

I get that he wanted to make a fresh start to get over their dead child but why the feck does this fresh start require millions and millions of dollars and the murder of the mother of that child?

Why/how was Colin Farrell involved with Liam Neeson in the first place?

Why did he phone his rival and offer to throw the election?

Basically, what was the point of Farrell's character at all?!? (and don't get me started on his one dimensional racist dad)

Surely the minimal expectation for a "first rate thriller" is a watertight plot?

Sweet Square

This there are rude scenes in the film ? The old mother has asked if I wanted to see this with her(She really like McQueen first movie Hunger)but there not chance I'm watching it if it's in anyway like Shame.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The Thing (1982)

Well...that was quite the watch. While a bit slow at times, this is a much better horror flick than 99% of the shit made today. Which is a horror in itself, but okay that's for another discussion.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
The Thing (1982)

Well...that was quite the watch. While a bit slow at times, this is a much better horror flick than 99% of the shit made today. Which is a horror in itself, but okay that's for another discussion.
Carpenter's best work besides Big Trouble In Little China :drool:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Carpenter's best work besides Big Trouble In Little China :drool:
Apparently its initial reception was very negative according to Wiki. Basically the gist was that in 1982 people were not fecking ready for such a gruesome dark horror movie. :lol:

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I watched The Thing last night too. It's Always watchable. It bothers me that you don't see Nauls death at the end and it's a bit of an anticlimactic confrontation for me.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Really?! Would love to hear your opinion on some of the more ludicrous elements of the plot.

Are we really supposed to believe that an acutely bereaving widow wouldn't fecking open a door to make absolutely sure that her beloved dead husband was still alive? (rhetorical question)

Why was Liam Neeson so desperate for cash he was willing to murder said widow when he had already made an absolute shitload of money from the opening heist?

I get that he wanted to make a fresh start to get over their dead child but why the feck does this fresh start require millions and millions of dollars and the murder of the mother of that child?

Why/how was Colin Farrell involved with Liam Neeson in the first place?

Why did he phone his rival and offer to throw the election?

Basically, what was the point of Farrell's character at all?!? (and don't get me started on his one dimensional racist dad)

Surely the minimal expectation for a "first rate thriller" is a watertight plot?
Yes.

He didn't have the two. He lost most of it in the explosion and Mulligan took the rest.

She was a witness and he's a cnut.

Mulligan was a prominent and crooked pollie, Harry was a crime boss. Not a stretch that they knew each other.

Mulligan threw the election because he hated his dad and didn't want to be alderman. His fate was to become alderman anyway and be a lot poorer as well.

spwd

Some feckers in this thread recommended Reign of Fire.

It was absolute shite.
Come on, its just great entertainment, I watch it every time it’s on.

The Thing (1982)

Is this the first time you’ve seen it? How old are you?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes.

He didn't have the two. He lost most of it in the explosion and Mulligan took the rest.

She was a witness and he's a cnut.

Mulligan was a prominent and crooked pollie, Harry was a crime boss. Not a stretch that they knew each other.

Mulligan threw the election because he hated his dad and didn't want to be alderman. His fate was to become alderman anyway and be a lot poorer as well.
Come on. The door thing was crazy. Completely implausible.

It is plausible that Harry and Mulligan knew each other. What makes no sense - and is never explained - is why Mulligan was in on the whole fake death thing.

Ditto Mulligan throwing the election. And he didn’t just throw it. He telephoned the rival candidate to tell him his plans. Why? Also, why not just walk away? We already know he didn’t mind hurting his old man’s feelings.

These are all big, central plot points. Not side issues. More than enough to make the glowing, five star reviews well over the top. The movie had a lot of good things about it but it was flawed as feck.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Come on. The door thing was crazy. Completely implausible.

It is plausible that Harry and Mulligan knew each other. What makes no sense - and is never explained - is why Mulligan was in on the whole fake death thing.

Ditto Mulligan throwing the election. And he didn’t just throw it. He telephoned the rival candidate to tell him his plans. Why? Also, why not just walk away? We already know he didn’t mind hurting his old man’s feelings.

These are all big, central plot points. Not side issues. More than enough to make the glowing, five star reviews well over the top. The movie had a lot of good things about it but it was flawed as feck.
Can’t agree with you. Good to see McQueen turn his obvious ability to something less tumescent.

Tarrou

I watched The Thing again last night after all this chatter, had not seen it in years. Forgot how funny it was!

The music really makes it for me though, so atmospheric

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
God knows how Anikin pulls Natalie Portman in Attack of the Clones with that god awful chat up line of 'I hate sand, it's coarse and annoying, not like you, smooth and soft.'

Moriarty

It's been a few years but I've been going through my Criterion DVDs and I'm loving every minute of it. A young relative of mine is now hooked on Kurosawa's films. We watched 'Stray Dog' the other night and we're putting on 'The Bad Sleep Well' later on. It's really nice to watch the great Toshiro Mifune and Takashi Shimura again after so long.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Suspiria (2018) - I liked it. Thom Yorke's score didn't quite elevate the film in a way that Goblin's did but it did come alive during the dance scenes, which were some of the most striking dance scenes I've ever seen put on screen. The dabbling with the political backdrop was the weakest parts for me along with the rather superfluous subplot and epilogue. The casting of German New Wave actress' Ingrid Caven and Angela Winkler in supporting roles was a nice touch though.

Last edited:

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Suspiria (2018) - A tremendous, playful re-imaging. It's been a few years since I last saw the original but this felt like a completely different monster. Thom Yorke's score didn't quite elevate the film in the way that Goblin's did, but it did come alive during the dance scenes, which were some of the most effective ones I've ever seen put on screen. The incessant evoking of the German Autumn setting and the rather thin dabbling with WWII guilt were the weakest parts for me along with the rather superfluous subplot and epilogue. The casting of German New Wave actress like Ingrid Caven and Angela Winkler in supporting roles was a nice touch though.
Ah good to hear. I’d heard mixed things although it mostly seems to be complaints about the length.

The Old Man and the Gun - delightfully lightweight crime caper from David Lowery and a perfect swan song for Redford.