Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Tarrou

Tom Waits was fantastic in Buster Scruggs, and he's almost 70 and still cool as feck

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Searching

Seemed promising at first but second half was really disappointing and a bit silly.

5.5/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Manchester By The Sea

Just watched it yesterday, damn it's so hard to watch but it's absolutely amazing. There are many scenes where it's absolutely heart-wrenching that I almost cried. Casey Affleck is brilliant

9/10
I watched this a week after having my first child. Heartbreak :(

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I loved it. Very classy as you say, loved the use of music in it and the two main actors were excellent, had a very "Hollywood Golden Age movie star" vibe about them (in the best possible way). I thought it was pretty perfect in terms of timing, not overstaying its welcome, grabbing you and keeping you involved throughout. One of my favourite films (if not the favourite) this year. Though I really haven't been to the cinema much this year with all the moving and traveling, it's disgraceful.
I thought the ending was a little rushed but other than that the pacing was fairly neat and succinct.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Watchmen
In 1985 where former superheroes exist, the murder of a colleague sends active vigilante Rorschach into his own sprawling investigation, uncovering something that could completely change the course of history as we know it. Decent superhero flick, still looks decent, good fight scenes, the acting was generally on point and the story was intriguing. But had the most strangest sex scene with Hallelujah as the backing track :lol: needed to be a bit shorter but I had a good time 7/10

lawliet354

The Big Sick

One of the few romcom that I actually enjoy in the last couple of years, I feel like this movie got the perfect balance between humor and drama and I love it

The 9/11 joke is one of the best joke I've heard in a movie :lol:

9/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Fallen
Homicide detective John Hobbes (Denzel) witnesses the execution of serial killer Edgar Reese. Soon after the execution the killings start again, and they are very similar to Reese's style. Whilst I quite liked the premise of this one, it felt quite dated in the way it was filmed. But looking beyond that, it had a nice little setup and Denzel is always watchable as an actor. Might have enjoyed this far more on release but as I said, it's dated 90s feel really hold it back 5.5/10

Malevolent

A brother-sister team who fake paranormal encounters for cash get more than they bargained for when a job at a haunted estate gets very, very real. The first half of this was laughably bad. On the nose dialogue to setup exposition, flat lighting, ropey acting etc but after the midpoint, it does pick up a little until the final act, where it descends into the usual horror trope of people making STUPID decisions. E.g.

The two antagonists have one character tied to a chair, ready for torture. The girl's friend sneaks up behind the antagonists and instead of clubbing them in the back of the head, he says "let her go" and they turn around and beat the shit out of him.

Following this, he gets the upper hand and stabs one of the bad guys and whilst the other attends to this stabbed person, the good guy runs up to the tied up girl and instead of just untying her, he says "dont worry, I'll keep you safe. I'l help you" and as he says that, he gets stabbed in the back.

Such a flat, let down of a movie that had the potential to be ok 2.5/10

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Mandy

I'm sure this movie is supposed to have some hidden meaning or allegory, but I have no idea what that is. I couldn't tell you what the fudge I just watched. It actually starts off pretty boring. In fact the whole first half of the movie is a tad odd, bordering on frustrating with the arty camerawork and strange lighting that sometimes made it difficult to see. Though maybe it's just not a movie for a casual movie watcher such as myself.

The second half is as wonderfully insane as you imagine it to be- and a lot more to boot. Nic Cage goes super deep to channel his inner Nic Cage and the result is a beautiful, bloody, psychadelic headfeck of a movie that slides from one deranged scene to the next. With a decent helping of Cage's trademark anguished screaming of course.

I was not reay to see Linus Roache starkers.

Wut?/10

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
The Other Side of the Wind - A muddled mess that started out as a muddled mess and was perhaps never meant to be anything but a muddled mess. John Huston was quite good in the main role but I think Welles playing it himself would have given it some added poignancy, he was definitely right in having qualms about giving it to Huston. As for the film-within-the-film, I could quite easily have watched a full length version of that and I also thought it was the segments where Welles presence behind the camera was most keenly felt.

Like @Mockney I found it's companion piece They'll Love Me When I'm Dead to be more resonating. The low-key Wellesian way it was composed breathed life into what could easily have have been a rather conventional piece - "It's all in the editing". Greedy as I am though I would have like to have seen it go on for at least another hour, covering his entire career and thus clocking in at roughly the same time as a PBS Scorsese documentary.

Speaking off...

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies & My Voyage to Italy - Two very informative and easily digestible overviews of cinema history presented by Scorsese himself, ideal for anyone looking to get into older movies.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Creed 2
I don't know why but I'm just not a fan of Creed as a character and thus haven't enjoyed either of these films. It just feels so try-hard, he comes across like a rich boy trying to be ghetto. The plot was super cheesy, predictable and focused on really uninteresting side stories. The famous montage sequences were also laughable and didn't have the pumping score like in the original films. In Rocky 4, he climbs a mountain, in this, Creed puts his foot into a tyre :lol:. However, the acting was generally good, and every time Rocky or Drago were on screen, I got a nostalgic hit. Drago son was also menacing and the fight sequences were fun 6/10

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Hereditary
Thought this was great. Definitely the best scary movie I've seen in many many years, in fact I think it's the best scary movie I've ever seen TBH.

It isn't a movie full of cheap jump scares thankfully, it's just extremely creepy and intense. The acting is great too, I found it very believable.

Jagga7

Watched Mowgli on Netflix last night, I enjoyed it but it was a little strange. It's made for children I presume but it was quite bloody and violent, it seemed torn between going full adult or not. 6.5/10!

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Suspiria - thought this was a terrific and a superior remake. I know it’s polarising but do people really want horror films not to horror, or witch films not to witch. It goes balls to the wall in a satisfying manner. I still don’t care for Dakota Johnson all that much.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Suspiria - thought this was a terrific and a superior remake. I know it’s polarising but do people really want horror films not to horror, or witch films not to witch. It goes balls to the wall in a satisfying manner. I still don’t care for Dakota Johnson all that much.
I think it's truly a textbook example of how one should go about remaking a film. Yeah, Johnson is a bit of a plank, thought she grew into the role a little towards the end but overall a fairly weak piece of casting in a film full of sensible ones.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Creed 2
I don't know why but I'm just not a fan of Creed as a character and thus haven't enjoyed either of these films. It just feels so try-hard, he comes across like a rich boy trying to be ghetto. The plot was super cheesy, predictable and focused on really uninteresting side stories. The famous montage sequences were also laughable and didn't have the pumping score like in the original films. In Rocky 4, he climbs a mountain, in this, Creed puts his foot into a tyre :lol:. However, the acting was generally good, and every time Rocky or Drago were on screen, I got a nostalgic hit. Drago son was also menacing and the fight sequences were fun 6/10
It was fun... but the downer is that its drago son... i mean it doesnt have to be someone son. I'd rather they just create a new menacing charismatic (put usa current enemy) boxer and be done with it.

Apollo son is very believeable narative wise but drago? Next we'll be having clubber jr in creed 3

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It was fun... but the downer is that its drago son... i mean it doesnt have to be someone son. I'd rather they just create a new menacing charismatic (put usa current enemy) boxer and be done with it.

Apollo son is very believeable narative wise but drago? Next we'll be having clubber jr in creed 3
I didnt mind it being Drago son simply because it led to a few scenes of Drago and Rocky together, which were the highlights of the film.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus
8/10

A stunningly-photographed, thought-provoking road trip into the heart of the poor white American South. Singer Jim White takes his 1970 Chevy Impala through a gritty terrain of churches, prisons, truckstops, biker bars and coalmines.

Along the way are roadside encounters with present-day musical mavericks the Handsome Family, David Johansen, David Eugene Edwards of 16 Horsepower and old-time banjo player Lee Sexton, and grisly stories from the **** Southern novelist Harry Crews.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0074qfn/arena-searching-for-the-wrongeyed-jesus

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Scent of a Woman

Yes, yes, I'll take these 90s dramas everyday over all the shit that's made these days. Great movie.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Saw the new animated Spiderman tonight, Spider-Man Again: All the Spider-Men and it was exactly as good as you’d expect a Lord & Miller animated comedy to be, namely far better and more imaginative than it has any right to be.

The only blot on their resume so far has been that Star Wars film they weren’t allowed to make, proving yet again that Star Wars is awful and ruins everything and everyone should stop caring about it entirely.

In conclusion, feck Star Wars.

Last edited:

bucky

Saw the new animated Spiderman tonight, Spider-Man Again: All the Spider-Men and it was exactly as good as you’d expect a Lord & Miller animated comedy to be, namely far better and more imaginative than it has any right to be.

The only blot on their resume so far has been that Star Wars film they weren’t allowed to make, proving yet again that Star Wars is awful and ruins everything and everyone should stop caring about it entirely.

In conclusion, feck Star Wars.
They didn't do this movie.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Sort of a bit of everything you'd expect from the Coen brothers over the course of two hours or so - slapstick comedy which veers into existentialism, and some grim, bleak scenarios mixed with larger-than-life characters.

Mockney

They didn't do this movie.
Phil Lord wrote and produced but it's not a Lord and Miller.
Lord wrote the screenplay and Miller produced. They’re also the main focus in this Q&A discussing how it was made, and how it was very much their idea and how Sony came to them to do it. They also both mentioned writing it.

Okay, sure they didn’t direct (and I’d say the direction/animation style is one of the film’s biggest draws) but I’d say it’s at least partly a Lord & Miller film. They’ll write but not direct the Lego movie sequel too, and I’ll consider that more “theirs” than, say, the Pilots of Brooklyn 99 and Last Man on Earth (which they directed, but didn’t write) - either way they’ve had a large hand in a lot of great things.

But more importantly, feck Star Wars.

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Speaking of Star Wars I finally got around to watching Solo : A Star Wars Story over the weekend and it was the fanboy box ticking, plot ret-conning, slog I expected it to be.

In the plus column Donald Glover was great as Lando.

bucky

Phil Lord wrote and produced but it's not a Lord and Miller.
Lord wrote the screenplay and Miller produced. They’re also the main focus in this Q&A discussing how it was made, and how it was very much their idea and how Sony came to them to do it. They also both mentioned writing it.

Okay, sure they didn’t direct (and I’d say the direction/animation style is one of the film’s biggest draws) but I’d say it’s at least partly a Lord & Miller film. They’ll write but not direct the Lego movie sequel too, and I’ll consider that more “theirs” than, say, the Pilots of Brooklyn 99 and Last Man on Earth (which they directed, but didn’t write) - either way they’ve had a large hand in a lot of great things.

But more importantly, feck Star Wars.
Dammit! And here I was, hoping, I was going to stick it to Mockney and his smart arse.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Watched the 80's horror movie Ticks yesterday, but I was fecked up and can't remember much. But I do remember that it was very good, in an extremely campy 80's way.

Mockney

So what other movies did these Lord/Miller fellas make?
Not Star Wars: A Solo Story

“Great things” is an exaggeration tbf. It’s fairer to say they’ve made a few things that should’ve by rights been absolutely terrible, actually really quite good, like Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, 21 Jump Street & The Lego Movie (as well as couple of good TV shows) they’re certainly on the rise, and feel like they might go the way of the Russo Bros, who went from comedy (Arrested Development/Community) to making pretty much the biggest blockbuster films around.

Mockney

The Lego Movie is flipping great. Cloudy Meatball is decent enough. I’m sold on this Spiderman movie already.
Another thing in its favour is that it’s blessedly unlike all the other 300 Spider-Man movies that have bafflingly been made in the last 20 years. It’s not about Peter Parker, and the Peter Parker it does have in it, is a louche middle aged divorced drunk. Also a bit like the Lego movie, the animation is it’s own interesting thing, rather than a riff on Pixar like most of the other 300 animated movies that have bafflingly been made in the last 20 years. Though as @bucky points out, that’s not much to do with them, as it is the 3 directors this movie (bafflingly) has.

I already feel I’ve talked way to much about the 21st centuries 8th fecking Spiderman movie, but it is pretty good.

I’m going to watch something dark and pretentious now.

Last edited:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Creed > Creed 2

I liked Creed 2 but the first Creed was just another level for me, can't forget those scenes of Rocky going through chemo, like watching one of your heroes fall. Sly's performance was Oscar worthy imo.

lawliet354

Just watched Arrival, it's an okay film for me. It started really interesting, but the last 20-30 minutes is really boring, I expected a lot more after watching most reviewer saying this was one of the best movie in 2016.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Not Star Wars: A Solo Story

“Great things” is an exaggeration tbf. It’s fairer to say they’ve made a few things that should’ve by rights been absolutely terrible, actually really quite good, like Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, 21 Jump Street & The Lego Movie (as well as couple of good TV shows) they’re certainly on the rise, and feel like they might go the way of the Russo Bros, who went from comedy (Arrested Development/Community) to making pretty much the biggest blockbuster films around.
All excellent and genuinely funny films. Also had no idea of who the Russo Bros were and what they'd done until this post. You've enlightened me Mockers