Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Keefy18

The house that Jack Built

Really, really wanted to like this movie. It seemed it would be an intense psychological portrait of serial killer steeped in reality. Instead it rambled on with Matt Dillon in meandering narrations about the beauty of decay over and over again.

The failure for me is the absolute lack of reality to be found here in regards to ever being caught, this is brushed over in a single line as we are told its just luck.

There are lots of other realistic elements though in regards to Dillons portrayal of Jack, elements of Ed Gein and Ted Bundy are used aplenty in how he brutally murdered his victims.

I couldn't manage to get through to the end and waved the white flag about an hour 40 in. I'm not one to shirk at violence or repulsive content but this does test the limits at times, it was more so it was the same story retold 5 times (Jack retells his 5 most gruesome murders to Virgil / Bruno Ganz), It numbs the senses and bores after the 3rd.

2/10

Keefy18

The Martian

Matt Damon having to be saved yet again, but we've grown to love this scenario it seems. This time Damon is Astronaut Mark Watney, who becomes stranded and his team assume he has died. We then follow Damon on his quest for survival (and rescue) and he summons all of ingenuity in doing so.

A little bit of common sense will tell us that Damon survives all the harshest of elements and scenarios, so why continue watching? Its in the how that makes this movie a must see. The attention to detail is incredible throughout and Damon as mentioned faces any number of trials and tribulations in getting back to earth, from managing to grow vegetation on a planet that has no plant life, to ingenious methods of space suit and shit repairs to remain alive.

Although predictable it never is dull and Damon has some great narratives throughout and some good comedic moments keeps it lighthearted. The special effects are incredibly good and the cast superb.

8/10.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The house that Jack Built

Really, really wanted to like this movie. It seemed it would be an intense psychological portrait of serial killer steeped in reality. Instead it rambled on with Matt Dillon in meandering narrations about the beauty of decay over and over again.

The failure for me is the absolute lack of reality to be found here in regards to ever being caught, this is brushed over in a single line as we are told its just luck.

There are lots of other realistic elements though in regards to Dillons portrayal of Jack, elements of Ed Gein and Ted Bundy are used aplenty in how he brutally murdered his victims.

I couldn't manage to get through to the end and waved the white flag about an hour 40 in. I'm not one to shirk at violence or repulsive content but this does test the limits at times, it was more so it was the same story retold 5 times (Jack retells his 5 most gruesome murders to Virgil / Bruno Ganz), It numbs the senses and bores after the 3rd.

2/10
The ending is amazing but if you didnt like it up to then I doubt it would have changed your mind.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Triple Frontier

Meh. Was ok I guess. Typical story of a bunch of guys doing something morally wrong and then paying the price for it. One shocking scene that took me by surprise but it was paint by numbers for the most part.

Polar

Mads Mikkelsen is better than this garbage. Matt Lucas isn't and he's by far the worst thing in it which is quite impressive considering how relentlessly unpleasant the whole thing is.

Keefy18

Christopher Robin

Pretty standard fare here from Disney, a run of the mill feel good family movie where the adult has lost touch with his child like self and will need to reconnect with his former self to be a better adult.

The main protagonist, Christopher Robin (Ewan McGregor) has lost all his heart warming charm as a child and is now a grumpy, work obsessed adult and has grown to ignore his daughter Madeline. For reasons unknown Pooh has lost his friend (Eyeore, Tigger etc) and the two (Pooh and Robin) connect again after years apart.

There's some heartwarming moments along the way of this adventure but it never really hits the right notes like Paddington Bear done (very similar style of movie).

6/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Temple
Three American tourists visit a haunted temple in Japan. Bad shit happens. Filmed really nicely. Otherwise, really slow and builds to nothing 2.5/10

Train Of The Dead

A group of thugs attempt to rob a train and are attacked by ghosts. Looks like it was shot on a potato, awful acting, laughable effects, horribly bad 1/10

Along Came A Spider

Two detectives must solve the case of a kidnapped girl. Apart from the dated VFX at the start, this was ok. Morgan Freeman is good at usual and I've always had a crush on Monica Potter. Whilst predictable, was a fun mystery for the most part 6/10

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Await Further Instructions
A dysfunctional family get trapped inside their house and are drip fed instructions via the TV. Begins looking like an episode of coronation Street but I soon got used to it. Clichéd, one note characters, some dodgy acting, unbelievable character motivation and heavy handed allegories held the film back but for some reason I still really enjoyed it, mainly due to the premise. Worth a shot of you've got 90 minutes to spare 6.5/10

Us

A family have their home invaded by their own dopplegangers. Great acting, killer soundtrack, key attention to detail, layered, funny, depth in its themes... But the film was fairly predictable and the base story wasnt mind blowing. Preferred Get Out but that's not saying this is a bad movie, just expected something more 7/10

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
22 Jump Street
The "just like last time" jokes were done one too many times and the credits were not as funny as they thought they were, but otherwise it was excellent. One of the better comedies of this time, Tatum and Hill belong to the best comedic actors out there right now.
7,5/10

Rain Man

Pretty standard feel good movie, although it becomes very good in the middle and turns tame at the end again. Great soundtrack.
8/10

The Firm

It really needed some time to get going, but the bit right before the end was incredibly nerve-wracking during the last chase. The ultimate solution fell a bit flat again, but I can forgive that. Some decent performances were on play.
7,5/10

King Arthur Legend of the Sword (2017)

This movie got destroyed by critics and this leads me to believe that critics have no idea what they are talking about. Really well crafted movie with great action, pacing and some nice imaginary. The overall story was rather simple, but that is always the case in this particular setting. I am probably biased because I'm a big fan of Guy Ritchie's style of directing, but this movie did everything right what all the other movies set in medieval times did wrong over the last few years. It skipped the pretentious dialogue, the wanky music and the lazy inclusion of excessive torture, rape, nudity etc. that all those other movies have. Instead, it added a bad-ass soundtrack and a believable villain with a back story and you get a super hero origin story set in medieval times. I know this flopped at the box office and won't get a sequel, but oh well, I watched it on the train on a small screen and will probably give it another watch on the big screen.
8,5/10

El-Manos

King Arthur Legend of the Sword (2017)
This movie got destroyed by critics and this leads me to believe that critics have no idea what they are talking about. Really well crafted movie with great action, pacing and some nice imaginary. The overall story was rather simple, but that is always the case in this particular setting. I am probably biased because I'm a big fan of Guy Ritchie's style of directing, but this movie did everything right what all the other movies set in medieval times did wrong over the last few years. It skipped the pretentious dialogue, the wanky music and the lazy inclusion of excessive torture, rape, nudity etc. that all those other movies have. Instead, it added a bad-ass soundtrack and a believable villain with a back story and you get a super hero origin story set in medieval times. I know this flopped at the box office and won't get a sequel, but oh well, I watched it on the train on a small screen and will probably give it another watch on the big screen.
8,5/10
Really underrated movie ! The music was fantastic in it as well. A different take on the story but I really enjoyed it.

Reddy Rederson

Dragged Across Concrete

Ill start by saying that I enjoyed bone tomahawk and brawl in cell block 99 and was eager to see this film just from the title alone. Unfortunately, Zahler has went a bit over the top on build up. Its 2 and half hours long, but it could have easily been a 90 minute film and been much better for it. Theres a line on the film that was in the trailer that sums up how drawn out the film feels. Long lingering looks, long drives, dialogue that feels like it was trying to be Tarantino-esque but fails hard. Its a movie that seems like it was lifted straight from a book, skipping the screen play process. To say its a slow burn, would be under selling it. It more like cooking a turkey in a easy bake oven.

Its not a great story either. Two cops are suspended and decide they will rip off some crooks to make ends meet. You know the rest, youve seen it a million times before. Theres some observations made that seem like they might be made from behind a right wing lens. Nothing outrageous, just little comments about racism, the media, society, blah blah blah. There some good performances in there, but the overly long run time and the not always great dialogue grate a little.

Ill give it a solid 5. Would be more if it had been edited better...or, at all.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
As I just finished the book yesterday, I gave Inherent Vice another watch and still think, that it's a great movie. It easily holds up with the incredibly high standards of Paul Thomas Anderson's other work.

Sweet Square

As I just finished the book yesterday, I gave Inherent Vice another watch and still think, that it's a great movie. It easily holds up with the incredibly high standards of Paul Thomas Anderson's other work.
Agree. I can see why it gets some hate but I loved it.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Agree. I can see why it gets some hate but I loved it.
It's a little complicated at times, almost confusing. But the story doesn't really matter much, so I don't really care about that. Great aesthetics, great music, great acting, some incredible dialogue and some really good laughs. Just an incredibly entertaining movie. I think it might very well go on to build a cult following similar to The Big Lebowski.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Captain Marvel
Another run of the mill marvel effort. I used to love the MCU films bit think I'm having superhero fatigue. They need to do something different at this point like Ragnarok did. This did have it's moments but felt more like a Nick Fifty movie because Captain Marvel has zero character development. Dozed off a couple of times too 4/10

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hereditary

Despite some decent acting, I was thoroughly underwhelmed by this alleged 'modern classic'.

4/10

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
:lol::lol:

True, mate. I was stooopidly swayed by reviewers claiming it was 'the best Horror film of the past 25 years' (and so on).

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
:lol::lol:

True, mate. I was stooopidly swayed by reviewers claiming it was 'the best Horror film of the past 25 years' (and so on).
Reviewers are quick to jump the gun and overrate new horror movies that just changes up the over-used formulas a bit. Throw in some decent acting and an interesting backstory and you will be a hit.

Truth is the best horror of the last years is movies that didn't try to do anything new, they just did it better than previous attempts. Conjuring 1\2, Ouija: Origin of Evil, the Spanish REC films (1 and 2), Oculus and a few more I can't remember.

Truth be told the best horror of the last years have probably been the series.

Exorcist season 1
Haunting of Hill House

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Newly added Spanish Netflix film Durante la tormenta (Mirage) is a great one if you like time travel'ish films. The people who watch these type of films (Tringle, Time Crimes, etc) will figure out the plot pretty soon in but nevertheless a great watch. Solid 7/10 from me.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Newly added Spanish Netflix film Durante la tormenta (Mirage) is a great one if you like time travel'ish films. The people who watch these type of films (Tringle, Time Crimes, etc) will figure out the plot pretty soon in but nevertheless a great watch. Solid 7/10 from me.
I'm a sucker for that type of flicks. Even when they annoy me greatly. Thanks.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Instant Family
A couple dive in over their head when they adopt 3 children. Thought this was really funny, touching and just an unexpected blast all round. Maybe it's because the two leads were very similar to me and my wife that we connected to the film so much 8/10

Triple Frontier

5 former special forces teammates get back together to rob a king pin. Their lives quickly spiral out of control. A very slow first act and a flat final act but boy the middle section amazing. Great characters, full of suspense, fun action. If the final act raised the stakes further, this could have been a classic 7/10

Shazam!

Aimed mainly at a younger audience, I found this superhero flick to be a breath of fresh air in that it didn't take itself too seriously but instead focused on the comedy elements of the main character discovering his powers. The film dragged once the villain got involved, who felt very one dimensional. The final battle scene was beyond stupid 6/10

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Just watched Prospero‘s Books. My second Greenaway movie. Stunning and beautiful film, incredible choreography and a mis en scene that words can’t describe.

Sweet Square

Just watched Prospero‘s Books. My second Greenaway movie. Stunning and beautiful film, incredible choreography and a mis en scene that words can’t describe.
If you haven't already watch The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover as soon as possible. Just a stunning film.

This and The Long Good Friday are both prefect encapsulation of Thatcherism.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
If you haven't already watch The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover as soon as possible. Just a stunning film.

This and The Long Good Friday are both prefect encapsulation of Thatcherism.
The Cook is the other one I’ve watched and it’s every bit as good. A shame I haven’t yet watched it on a big screen.
But I got to watch Prospero in cinema today and it really blew my mind.

By the way, Sacha Vierny must be one of the greatest cinematographers of all time.

Sweet Square

The Cook is the other one I’ve watched and it’s every bit as good. A shame I haven’t yet watched it on a big screen.

By the way, Sacha Vierny must be one of the greatest cinematographers of all time.

I watched it on a iPad. Can't image just how good it would look on the big screen.

:(

Hold on are you saying there are cinemas that don't just show comic books movies on a 24 hour loop, running 365 days a year(Well actually there are 2 weeks in December when they show the space wars movies)

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I watched it on a iPad. Can't image just how good it would look on the big screen.

:(

Hold on are you saying there are cinemas that don't just show comic books movies on a 24 hour loop, running 365 days a year(Well actually there are 2 weeks in December when they show the space wars movies)
They even show silent movies with livemusic. Watched Nosferatu and Sunrise this way.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
ShaZam - 7/10
Good fun film, if I was thirteen I'd give it 9/10.
If the "Super" short appearance at the end had actually been Henry Cavill, and they'd shown his face, I would have given the film an 8 or 9/10 haha, but the appearance of Superman was cool and hints at the future.

US - 6.5 or 7/10.
Not quite sure at the moment as I expected a bit more from the film. Worth a watch though and is pretty creepy at times.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Robin Hood (2018)
Reimagining of the old tale. Pretty flat, forgettable movie. Costume design was inconsistent, Mariane was a shlag, just boring. Only the action sequences saved it from being a complete shit show 4/10

Ocean's 8

feck me this was shite. If it wasn't bad enough having the main plot twist be ruined by the film poster or it being completely non-sensical, or having that fat shit James Corden in it, the film literally has zero tension or conflict or struggle. They just breeze through the film without a hitch. What a stupid mistake for a film about a heist! Shame considering it had a solid cast 3/10

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Is this the place to get movie recommendations or is it strictly reviews only? Feel like I've not seen an amazing movie in ages. Love crime, true events or thriller films, not really into horrors, heavy sci-fi or sports movies.

The thing that makes me adore a movie more than anything though is the production and/or soundtrack e.g. Tarantino films, Guy Ritchie films, films like Grand Budapest Hotel, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Submarine, Fargo etc.

Throw some suggestions my way!