Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Wing Attack Plan R

Exorcist 3 (1990)
This was excellent. Its a creepy, relatively fresh take on the possession genre with some great dialogue and performances. Slow moving, doesn't really show any gore or violence, using fast cuts and character reactions in its place, which just makes it more disturbing really. Some ropy effects that might take some people out of it but well worth a watch.
I hate that carp.
8/10 maybe more?
What did you hate?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
John Wick 4

CG Fights: The Movie

Soulless, vapid, pish. Bring back the visceral fighting from the first movie. The second struck the right balance between real action and fantasy. Now it's just mind numbing.

Lots of people said the movie felt like a slog to get through because of the amount of fights. I disagree. The problem is that most of the fights are clearly behind a green screen, much like the third movie, so I didn't give much of a shit about what droning nonsense was on screen.

3/10

Wing Attack Plan R

Taylor Swift Eras Movie.
I was not able to afford a ticket to the actual show, so this was my attempt to glean some of the magic, like a beggar licking the glass of the restaurant window.

Anyway, at our showing there were about two dozen girls dancing and singing the whole time. My complaint with the movie is they cut most of it like a music video. I wish they would have used more shots from within the crowd looking at TS, to get the mania of her fans. There were a lot of front row shots, but most people didn’t get that view, so I would have opted for a lot more wide shots and incorporating the video screens. The show itself was designed with lighting and effects to constantly dazzle because there are no edits when you’re in the crowd. I wish they would have put the camera way back and let the show run, but it’s almost like a music video with cuts every 3-5 seconds.

So it felt like an extended Performance at an awards show instead of a concert, which is maybe to be expected with 20 dancers and 4 backup singers. The best moments were the “unscripted” bits of stage banter where she shows the unguarded TS without any of the personas she adopts in song.

The U2 concert movie for Songs of Innocence did a much better job. This was fun but a little long and pointless. I don’t care for TS’s first 3 albums so I needed none of those songs. If this had been a standard tour showcasing her latest album, it would have leaned heavily on new material and probably included 7 or 8 back catalog tracks. It was visually impressive seeing the different eras represented, but the set list was a little exhausting as it didn’t have any cohesion. I’m sure the real stadium experience was incredible but I’m missing some of the visceral nature of being at a show with this.

6/10

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The Equalizer 3 - won't lie, I could probably watch Denzel Washington just stare into camera for about 20 minutes and I would be fine with it. Or him making his tea. His presence on camera is just something else.
As for the movie, it is better than 2nd installment which was a bit meh (the 1st one is easily the best). In this one, the scenery is brilliant and the story is cliché, but relatively fine. The problems are pacing especially in the 2nd part of the movie, lack of a great villain and well, lack of fighting for what you expect from such sort of movie. Not much, but few more brutal, action scenes to come out of it all. I thought John Wick has it way too much while the Equalizer went in another direction. If they could find a middle ground between the two of them that would be my cup of tea. But overall, Denzel is great and the movie is still fine and enjoyable for the most parts. 7/10*

*it gets extra point just for reuniting Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning 20 years after making what really was an action masterpiece - Man on fire

Wing Attack Plan R

The Equalizer 3 - won't lie, I could probably watch Denzel Washington just stare into camera for about 20 minutes and I would be fine with it. Or him making his tea. His presence on camera is just something else.
As for the movie, it is better than 2nd installment which was a bit meh (the 1st one is easily the best). In this one, the scenery is brilliant and the story is cliché, but relatively fine. The problems are pacing especially in the 2nd part of the movie, lack of a great villain and well, lack of fighting for what you expect from such sort of movie. Not much, but few more brutal, action scenes to come out of it all. I thought John Wick has it way too much while the Equalizer went in another direction. If they could find a middle ground between the two of them that would be my cup of tea. But overall, Denzel is great and the movie is still fine and enjoyable for the most parts. 7/10*

*it gets extra point just for reuniting Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning 20 years after making what really was an action masterpiece - Man on fire
Have you seen the earlier adaptation of Man On Fire? Scott Glenn, Joe Pesci, Jonathan Pryce, Brooke Adams, Danny Aiello, and Paul Shenar. It's much better than the Denzel version, and Scott Glenn is much better than Denzel. :P .

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Not a real review but something i wanted to share.

I dont know how but i could convince my girlfriend to watch all the fast and furious movies. She never watched a single one, I missed only one or two but never watched them closely together.

So some days ago we were watching the first movie and in the first scene they are chasing a truck when one driver decides to drive under the truck to get to the other side.
My gf looks at me and goes "Yeah sure, as if someone would do this."
I burst out laughing and tell her that she REALLY has no idea what she has signed up for haha.

Today we watched the 7th movie with cars jumping between skyscrapers, other action scenes that could also come out of Terminator and of course our muscle packed heroes that always make ridiculously manly comments. My gf is alternating between laughing and sighing in disbelief.
Im already excited for the space scene in the 9th movie.

10/10 experience, can recommend haha
Ahhh man I tried and failed multiple times.

The deal was: I watch all the Harry Potter and Twilight films and in return, she watches all the Rocky and F&F movies. I held up my end of the bargain first, watched both of her franchisees start to finish. She lasted until the 10 minute mark in Rocky 1 and gave up. I've been thinking I'm with the wrong person ever since.

Talking about F&F, I imagine a brainstorm for that to go like this:

"Ok guys, I want you to think of an amazing, high octane and exhilarating action scene... Got it? Ok, now add cars" :lol:

I truly love those films!

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Have you seen the earlier adaptation of Man On Fire? Scott Glenn, Joe Pesci, Jonathan Pryce, Brooke Adams, Danny Aiello, and Paul Shenar. It's much better than the Denzel version, and Scott Glenn is much better than Denzel. :P .
Saw the the white text :smirk: Was in my plans for some time now, will try to watch it soon.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I liked at the end of The Big Short how Gosling gets a check for $45 million. He says, “I know you’re judging me, don’t judge. It’s a lot of money, what am I gonna do?” I think that movie would not have worked without those wacky 4th wall things. I liked Bale in Vice but I like TBS better:
So I saw it again this evening, and yeah, it's the best of the three. You can't really fault it for anything. And yes, they absolutely need all the 4th wall things and other shenanigans, cause the story at its core is pretty goddamn depressing. Lose the wackiness, and you get a convoluted, more confusing, and more depressing Margin Call (which itself works because it keeps its story/setting really small in the context of something so huge). Seeing it again, I also realize there is plenty of reflection on the awfulness and real-world impact of it all, especially in the second half of the film.

So yeah, great film really.

Also, it's not just McKay that has an interesting career arch. I'd say the same for Steve Carell, who seemed a bit of a comedy one-trick pony at first, but actually has had some really good performances in very serious roles. I like seeing him in films.

Wing Attack Plan R

So I saw it again this evening, and yeah, it's the best of the three. You can't really fault it for anything. And yes, they absolutely need all the 4th wall things and other shenanigans, cause the story at its core is pretty goddamn depressing. Lose the wackiness, and you get a convoluted, more confusing, and more depressing Margin Call (which itself works because it keeps its story/setting really small in the context of something so huge). Seeing it again, I also realize there is plenty of reflection on the awfulness and real-world impact of it all, especially in the second half of the film.

So yeah, great film really.

Also, it's not just McKay that has an interesting career arch. I'd say the same for Steve Carell, who seemed a bit of a comedy one-trick pony at first, but actually has had some really good performances in very serious roles. I like seeing him in films.
Good call on Steve Carell. I thought he turned the corner in Crazy Stupid Love. There’s something hard to embrace about him unless he’s playing an inherently unlikable character. In The Big Short he’s got a bizarre personality so he’s likable.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Reptile (2023)

That was a surprisingly decent watch. Please more of this, Hollywood.

And Alicia Silverstone, damn.

Unam333

Saw X

Finally a good Saw installment. Haven't seen one for a while. This time it's more story driven. The kills are still very gory, but the emphasis is on the story and less on creative, absurd death traps.
This movie fits well in the whole Saw timeline. The actors did very well.

8.5 out of 10

Also posted it in the Barbie thread, but here you go:

Barbie

Finally watched it and the first part of the movie was surprisingly funny and enjoyable. The second part was quite bad and tedious and nothing like the first part.

Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling were ok as Barbie and Ken, but nothing extraordinary.

6.5 out of 10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
@berbatrick

How's that not what you want from Star Wars! I mean, any attempt to take Star Wars seriously has just gone wrong anyway. Let's go all-in on the Star Wars 1 vibe (yeah, what they currently call #1, not what's now #4), and just go for crazy funky funny shit!

Sweet Square

How's that not what you want from Star Wars! I mean, any attempt to take Star Wars seriously has just gone wrong anyway. Let's go all-in on the Star Wars 1 vibe (yeah, what they currently call #1, not what's now #4), and just go for crazy funky funny shit!
100% agree that it needs to move away from the taking itself seriously(The Andor series is the only genuine great thing they’ve made since the original trilogy).

But at least for me I’ve become so tired with the Ryan Reynolds self aware/reference comedy schtick. I can’t help but imagine the nightmare future of watching the digital corpse of Harrison Ford making the soy face while telling the audience he shot first.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
100% agree that it needs to move away from the taking itself seriously(The Andor series is the only genuine great thing they’ve made since the original trilogy).

But at least for me I’ve become so tired with the Ryan Reynolds self aware/reference comedy schtick. I can’t help but imagine the nightmare future of watching the digital corpse of Harrison Ford making the soy face while telling the audience he shot first.
:D

You can get that Shawn Levy without Ryan Reynolds though. ;)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Nice, be sure to give us the lowdown.
Saltburn

Knew nothing about this movie til two days ago when it was strongly suggested to me to catch it during the film festival here in Savannah. This was quite the spectacle that felt a touch too long, but that didn't really detract from the flick. Defo not for everyone. It will leave the viewer with some of the most ingrained memories of a couple of scenes that will be nearly impossible to forget ever. No clue if this film is like the director's previous (Promising Young Woman), but Saltburn will stand alone & make some people's 'Best of 2023' lists. Well worth the commitment.

8 / 10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Saltburn

Knew nothing about this movie til two days ago when it was strongly suggested to me to catch it during the film festival here in Savannah. This was quite the spectacle that felt a touch too long, but that didn't really detract from the flick. Defo not for everyone. It will leave the viewer with some of the most ingrained memories of a couple of scenes that will be nearly impossible to forget ever. No clue if this film is like the director's previous (Promising Young Woman), but Saltburn will stand alone & make some people's 'Best of 2023' lists. Well worth the commitment.

8 / 10
Seems interesting, and Barry Keoghan, so I'm in! (when it's released...)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Saltburn

8 / 10
Awesome, definitely checking this out on the big screen in a few weeks.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Old Dads

Bill Burr and his mates, with some Netflix funding, made an allegory about Cancel Culture, in a film available on-demand in nearly every living room on earth. I like him, but his tone-deafness is increasing at a similar rate to Ricky Gervais.

Bobby Cannavale's character being delusional about his age is the only reasonably entertaining part of this film.

2/10

Sweet Square

Night Tide(1961)

Everyone talks like they’ve had a head injury, it has jazz soundtrack and stars Dennis Hopper.

Good film

8/10

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Promising Young Woman

The Academy Award for Writing-winning movie from Saltburn’s Emerald Fennell came out in 2020. Having just seen Saltburn & enjoyed it, I felt compelled to watch this.

And I enjoyed it more than Saltburn. Far more cerebral than Saltburn & with more elongated twists & turns, it was quite satisfying.

It was fun watching Carey Mulligan be a sorta-bad girl.

8.5 / 10

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Host

Relatively short horror film at around an hour, filmed entirely on zoom during the pandemic.
The level of detail and suspense in this film is simple incredible. Scientist's have deemed it the scariest horror ever and it's easy to see why.
It puts you right in the middle of a seance that goes horribly wrong and doesn't relent with the scares.
One of the best horror films and possibly one of the best films I've watched in a long time..

9/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I was watching Midnight Express today, a 1978 movie about a William Hayes (from the US) that gets caught on a Turkish airport in 1970 trying to smuggle hash out of the country, and then gets thrown in prison, first just for a few years but subsequently his punishment is increased. The film is hence primarily about his life and mental state while in prison.

I have to say I was rather underwhelmed by the whole thing. First, we are clearly supposed to feel sympathy towards Hayes, but especially in the first half, that's rather difficult. He was smuggling drugs, so of course prison was a real risk. Also, his voiceover talks about his loneliness and how much he hates his prison life, but the actual scenes don't really portray that at all; they rather makes his prison life look pretty social.

It's easier to feel sorry for him when his sentence is prolonged, but the speech he gives in court again rather works again feeling sympathy. Also, the film constantly portrays Turks as corrupt, hypocritical, gross, unpleasant, and often downright vile and evil, which is really off-putting. (And which was later on also heavily criticised by the real Hayes upon whose story the film is based.)

Yeah yeah, Moroder's music is good and the film-making is quite alright overall; but it's hard to see past these issues I mentioned. 5/10

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Extremely unsubtle left-wing/revolutionary movies:

They Live: 8/10
The central plot point with the glasses is too famous, has permeated too much into pop culture, for it to make that much impact, but it was still cool to see. Combined with bloody unmerciful action, and a great ending,
where he ends that double-crossing bitch
, I really liked it.

In Time: 5/10
Unlike They Live, this is very restrained and unbloody, including an inexplicable scene where the hero doesn't finish off a prone antagonist. Also the main plot (kidnapping) is pretty dumb, her character doesn't make a lot of sense, and there's stupid plot holes too. The central premise that time is money is just ok rather than being great, and in most places the worldbuilding from it is also just ok. Some of the acting and delivery is off.
Goes from 3 to 5/10 for the cheesy dialogue delivered awkwardly ("nobody has TIME for that"), and the depiction of how mass redistribution is a problem for the system, not just morally but in basic function.

Watched the ending of V For Vendetta to complete a trio, forgot how much I loved that film.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Host

Relatively short horror film at around an hour, filmed entirely on zoom during the pandemic.
The level of detail and suspense in this film is simple incredible. Scientist's have deemed it the scariest horror ever and it's easy to see why.
It puts you right in the middle of a seance that goes horribly wrong and doesn't relent with the scares.
One of the best horror films and possibly one of the best films I've watched in a long time..

9/10
They did? Got a link?

Sweet Square

Passages

Was looking forward to this but in the end I was pretty disappointed. It’s definitely not a bad film but overall it was sort of meh. It does puts forward some interesting questions. Offering a insight into the neoliberal brain of viewing polyamory or love as a pick n mix.

Both the costume design and performances are brilliant. Franz Rogowski really puts in a shift as a massive arsehole(Reminded me of Michael Fassbender character in Shame).

It might be worth a watch as it’s only 90 minutes and well paced paced.

7/10

The Shining

It’s a classic. Also more evidence that Kubrick isn’t a cold hearted soulless director but someone with a great sense of humour.

10/10

Watched the ending of V For Vendetta to complete a trio, forgot how much I loved that film.
The ending is so good. With Natalie Portman giving a speech about the universalism of Leninism.