The Referee Decisions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fully Fledged

Do you actually understand.. words? How is telling the players "either you do this or you will get booked" not literally deciding the outcome?

The only incident I can think of is Luiz Adriano getting banned for one game after scoring against FC Nordsjælland, when Shakhtar Donetsk scored following a dropped ball that everyone assumed Nordsjælland would get back. It raised a lot of debate as you'd think and the rules has been changed since then, as you can see in Laws of the Game. The change is:

In the outline summary of law changes the change is described as

There's no doubt in my mind why this change was made. The old rules were ambiguous because they didn't say anything about the outcome, whereas the new rules very clearly state the the referee cannot decide its outcome.
But he did. He clearly arranged that Mirallas was going to kick the ball. Presumably so that he would give it back to United. I know that didn't happen but it doesn't take away from the fact that he was clearly dropping the ball for Mirallas to kick.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
But he did. He clearly arranged that Mirallas was going to kick the ball. Presumably so that he would give it back to United. I know that didn't happen but it doesn't take away from the fact that he was clearly dropping the ball for Mirallas to kick.
Read my other posts, I already covered that. His mistake was assuming that Mirallas isn't a complete idiot.
That would be deciding the outcome. He can't force the players to do anything, but he can get a player from each side (preferably the captains) together and have them talk it out (and advice them, but that shouldn't be needed in most situations). If he had called over Barry and Carrick in that situation I guarantee that Barry would've kicked it to us. His feck up was not doing this - once he dropped the ball there's nothing he can do.

Fully Fledged

Read my other posts, I already covered that. His mistake was assuming that Mirallas isn't a complete idiot.
No my point is that if he can't dictate how the drop ball goes should not of insisted that Mirallas kicked it uncontested. That is dictating the result of the kick.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
No my point is that if he can't dictate how the drop ball goes should not of insisted that Mirallas kicked it uncontested. That is dictating the result of the kick.
He didn't really "insist" that Mirallas played it uncontested, he just assumed he'd do the right thing. Every United player did as well, otherwise one of them would've gone to contest it - no one was moving there, so the ref just restarted play. You could argue the United players fecked up as much as the ref did.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
@Ainu @Wowi It wasn't about suggestion that the ref effectively hindered our game on Sunday. I was arguing with the concept of him being major factor in destroying the spectacle. For me it were the two competing teams that haven't made it entertaining.
When the red card happened the onus was specifically on us to make it an interesting viewing, while Moyes' team got even more defensive. We weren't exactly flying recently and Sunderland are in relegation form. Those factors and the sending off should collectively take the places from 1-9 in fault/guilt/demerit/blame race in terms of killing the show. The one for Pawson is nr 10. It matters with what material the creator's dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.