The Referee Decisions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

manutd619

I thought it may be my red tinted specs that make me hate refs in our games

Watching the Man City v Chelsea game though I realised I actually hate Mike Dean, what a cnut

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought it may be my red tinted specs that make me hate refs in our games

Watching the Man City v Chelsea game though I realised I actually hate Mike Dean, what a cnut
Some of the fouls Costa did- one in the 1st half holding and tripping Delph and the one in 2nd half on Kompany- both bookable offences - and Costa gets away with both of them!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Read the rules you quoted yourself:

The ref fecked up when restarting the play in that he (like our players) assumed Everton would give us the ball, so he just dropped it for Mirallas. What refs usually do is talk to the players to make sure there's an agreement beforehand to prevent situations like this.
I know he cannot decide but it obviously wasn't a case of dropping the ball and having two players contesting for it. He clearly told Everton to kick the ball back. Mirallas didn't listen which could be considered as dissent by action or unsporting behavior.

manutd619

Some of the fouls Costa did- one in the 1st half holding and tripping Delph and the one in 2nd half on Kompany- both bookable offences - and Costa gets away with both of them!
Yeah it actually pisses me off what referees let Costa get away with to avoid coming across as booking his reputation or "its only costa that is expected"

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Our players were a bit gormless here. The rules were changed so: "the referee cannot decide who may contest a dropped ball or its outcome."

We just needed to contest it and get on it with it. Everton were clearly not going to be Corinithian about it, so we should have just competed for it.

You can take as many touches as you want from winning a dropped ball, but it has to touch two players before a goal can be scored, otherwise a goal kick or corner is given. This was again changed after there were a few occasions where a team "gave it back" to the opposition with a bit more zing than normal and the referee had no choice but to award the goal.
Loved Youngy's reaction, the tackle reminded me of Evra on Suarez 10 seconds after kick-off.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I know he cannot decide but it obviously wasn't a case of dropping the ball and having two players contesting for it. He clearly told Everton to kick the ball back. Mirallas didn't listen which could be considered as dissent by action or unsporting behavior.
That would be deciding the outcome. He can't force the players to do anything, but he can get a player from each side (preferably the captains) together and have them talk it out (and advice them, but that shouldn't be needed in most situations). If he had called over Barry and Carrick in that situation I guarantee that Barry would've kicked it to us. His feck up was not doing this - once he dropped the ball there's nothing he can do.

Getting to be a joke now the current standard of refereeing. In the Newcastle game a Newcastle player encroached on the area during their penalty, which should result in a retake. Instead the referee awards a free kick the other way. All the pundits and professionals are saying its ok, he made a mistake, forget it and move on!

He got the rule completely wrong, yet still no accountability :nono:

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I also loved how if he wasn't going to do it there were 3 other players converging on him to do the exact same things.
Yeah, a headless situation that could've ended up some of them taking out a teammate, kind of like Evra on Rio. Enjoyed it immensely though, that's what I want to see from our players.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Getting to be a joke now the current standard of refereeing. In the Newcastle game a Newcastle player encroached on the area during their penalty, which should result in a retake. Instead the referee awards a free kick the other way. All the pundits and professionals are saying its ok, he made a mistake, forget it and move on!

He got the rule completely wrong, yet still no accountability :nono:
That's an intolerable mistake by a ref.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That would be deciding the outcome. He can't force the players to do anything, but he can get a player from each side (preferably the captains) together and have them talk it out (and advice them, but that shouldn't be needed in most situations). If he had called over Barry and Carrick in that situation I guarantee that Barry would've kicked it to us. His feck up was not doing this - once he dropped the ball there's nothing he can do.
No it's not. What Mirallas did is textbook unsporting behavior and the ref can caution players for it.

Womp

idiot
What actually happened? The standard of refereeing has never been perfect but this season is nothing short of a joke. I'm yet to watch a match in the premier league this season that hasn't involved two or three very questionable decisions, at least.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
No it's not. What Mirallas did is textbook unsporting behavior and the ref can caution players for it.
Do you actually understand.. words? How is telling the players "either you do this or you will get booked" not literally deciding the outcome?

The only incident I can think of is Luiz Adriano getting banned for one game after scoring against FC Nordsjælland, when Shakhtar Donetsk scored following a dropped ball that everyone assumed Nordsjælland would get back. It raised a lot of debate as you'd think and the rules has been changed since then, as you can see in Laws of the Game. The change is:
old said:
The referee cannot decide who may or may not contest a dropped ball.
new said:
Any number of players may contest a dropped ball (including the goalkeepers); the referee cannot decide who may contest the dropped ball or its outcome.
In the outline summary of law changes the change is described as
Referee can not ‘manufacture’ outcome of a dropped ball
There's no doubt in my mind why this change was made. The old rules were ambiguous because they didn't say anything about the outcome, whereas the new rules very clearly state the the referee cannot decide its outcome.

Ashley R1+O

Currently 'trialing' (well pretty much straight up using) a VAR system in our home league the A-League. Blatant hand ball in the box, ref ran the game down field and out of play, draws a window in the air and calls for a video ref. VAR ref in the bunker watches 20 different angles, sees a hand ball and gives a pen, Bobô sinks it, 1-0 and we march onto what should be an invincible season (of course ironically it won't be, the loss came from some of the worst refereeing ever seen in the history of the league, one of the worst refs in the league bottling a blatant penalty in the dying minutes of the derby in which he claimed "he didn't see it" despite footage beamed round the world of him standing about 4 yards away and looking right at it).

First one ever using the system. I think it is the future but they have to make it quicker than that. Surely a video assistant referee can spot something that blatant in about 10 seconds while the play runs down field and blow it back straight away. Instead of going to a stoppage and calling for a window.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Today was a good example of not getting any obvious decisions wrong (red card was spot on) but still spoiling the game. Ridiculously fussy and seemed to forget the whole concept of playing advantage.
Considering the bookings he handed out during the game the red was appropriate, yeah. I thought Shaw's booking was very soft, but he stuck to that line so no complaints from me after the fact - a lot of refs could learn something from that part of his performance.

That free kick early on in our box where he wanted Romero to take it a fecking yard further back though - only because Sunderland fans were complaining. Such a needless waste of time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Considering the bookings he handed out during the game the red was appropriate, yeah. I thought Shaw's booking was very soft, but he stuck to that line so no complaints from me after the fact - a lot of refs could learn something from that part of his performance.

That free kick early on in our box where he wanted Romero to take it a fecking yard further back though - only because Sunderland fans were complaining. Such a needless waste of time.
Sums up his performance throughout. Got the decisions right but did his best to ruin the game as a spectacle.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Agreed. Think under a lot of referees it would have been no yellow for Shaw and Martial but a yellow for Larsson. The ref stuck to his standards even if bookings were soft. That said, the Martial one was total nonsense.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Sums up his performance throughout. Got the decisions right but did his best to ruin the game as a spectacle.
Indeed, I made a similar point regarding Dean a few weeks back. It seems like a weak point in general among English refs - some of them genuinely seem to enjoy getting a little time to catch their breath or whatever. I watched the Bayern Munich-Dortmund game yesterday and late in the game a Bayern player was offside - the Dortmund keeper took the free kick from where he stood (in the box, miles away from where the actual offside was given). The fans didn't seem to care about it and not a single player complained, and it helped get the game going right away. A lot of PL refs would've ordered a retake in that situation.

Agreed. Think under a lot of referees it would have been no yellow for Shaw and Martial but a yellow for Larsson. The ref stuck to his standards even if bookings were soft. That said, the Martial one was total nonsense.
Yeah, the Martial one was purely given based on GK and fan reaction. He couldn't have had any clue about what actually happened given how far away both him and his assistant was.

Cpt Negative

Martial's booking was nonsense, the only contact was made by the keeper on his follow through.
Pickford sticking his tongue out wound me up. Effectively admitting he play acted to get him booked.

Enjoy the championship

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
First half red cards usually spoil the games, even when they're right like in this instance. It wasn't the ref, we just weren't at our best today regardless of the final scoreline.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's kind of minor in the greater scheme of things, but his decision to book Martial one of the worst I've seen. Replays show he wasn't looking at the play - ie - he didn't see it himself. All he had was the crowd noise and a 'guess' of what happened.

And he booked a player on that. That's ridiculous.

Vashu

It's kind of minor in the greater scheme of things, but his decision to book Martial one of the worst I've seen. Replays show he wasn't looking at the play - ie - he didn't see it himself. All he had was the crowd noise and a 'guess' of what happened.

And he booked a player on that. That's ridiculous.
And a word from the linesman perhaps?

POF

The worst decision today was the free kick he gave Sunderland just after the red card. I don't think even he knew what it was for. It was almost as bad as the goal kick decision in the Everton game.

Vashu

Well that's what happened. Which has nothing to do with how good or badly we played.
When the game's gash anyway his own small contribution in amplifying the effect of a bad spectacle becomes much less relevant. Other than that yellow card for Martial I don't think Pawson should be annoyed with his performance. Basically you blame him, I don't. If Webb was refereeing today's match I don't think the overall level of it would be that much different.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When the game's gash anyway his own small contribution in amplifying the effect of a bad spectacle becomes much less relevant. Other than that yellow card for Martial I don't think Pawson should be annoyed with his performance. Basically you blame him, I don't. If Webb was refereeing today's match I don't think the overall level of it would be that much different.
You've lost me again. I'm not blaming him for anything? I'm saying he had a poor game. Unnecessarily fussy and didn't let the game flow. It's up for debate how big an impact his individual performance had on the spectacle as a whole but that's a separate discussion.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The worst decision today was the free kick he gave Sunderland just after the red card. I don't think even he knew what it was for. It was almost as bad as the goal kick decision in the Everton game.

wtf was that? :lol:
This is really incredible. I'd love to hear an explanation by the ref or anybody regarding this decision :houllier: .

The ref also booked Martial for being kicked by Pickford :houllier::houllier:

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Who's blaming the ref for our performance? :confused:
People generally have a hard time reading headlines on this forum. Anything is about everything according to some people. It's one of the things I really hate about this place - it's impossible to discuss refs after a loss without someone saying that you're only blaming the ref and not the team.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Pickford sticking his tongue out wound me up. Effectively admitting he play acted to get him booked.

Enjoy the championship
If you give people the opportunity to play act to get you in trouble then they will do so. I'm sure they'll point out that Ander was feigning some heavy contact for the red card while it looks like he only glanced him if there was any contact at all.

Golden Nugget

I felt he was awful - got the big call right but was effected by the crowd and started blowing for fouls and giving yellows for everything.

POF

This is really incredible. I'd love to hear an explanation by the ref or anybody regarding this decision :houllier: .

The ref also booked Martial for being kicked by Pickford :houllier::houllier:
The free kick was really odd. After sending Larsson off, the ball bounced off him to Pogba and I think he just blew his whistle because he didn't want that to happen. If anything he gave the free kick against himself.

I felt he was awful - got the big call right but was effected by the crowd and started blowing for fouls and giving yellows for everything.
Jose made a wise decision subbing off anyone on a yellow card. The players could play conservatively but even then you couldn't rely on Pawson getting the decisions right. I've not seen much of him before but he had a very poor game.

Golden Nugget

The free kick was really odd. After sending Larsson off, the ball bounced off him to Pogba and I think he just blew his whistle because he didn't want that to happen. If anything he gave the free kick against himself.

Jose made a wise decision subbing off anyone on a yellow card. The players could play conservatively but even then you couldn't rely on Pawson getting the decisions right. I've not seen much of him before but he had a very poor game.
Yeah completely agree in both cases. I've not heard or noticed him much either - but I remember him from 2 matches this season in which I felt he was poor for both. If he's only reffed us in two matches this season, then he's a very poor ref

Ainu

He's clearly not blaming him, he's pointing out he had a bad game and didn't let the game flow. It annoys me how any sort of criticism of a referee is invariably interpreted as an excuse for a poor team performance by someone. If you disagree with him, just say so and don't accuse him of blaming a ref for our performance. This thread is about refereeing performances and not about team performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.