The relative strength of the Premier League

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The problem with teams like Everton, Leicester, Wolves and Watford is that they will find it hard to compete in two competitions. None have played in Europe this season, and this has allowed them to focus on the EPL. Next season, 1 or 2 of them will be in Europe and they will find it hard to remain competitive in the PL. Teams really struggle to match the demands of the EL and EPL.

I can't see any of these teams trying to bridge the gap whilst playing in the EL.
Only 1 will be in europa I think. I can see Wolves getting to KOs as their style will be fine in europe compared to how someone like Burnley plays. Obviously need to baulk up the squad a bit but they've already attracted lots of quality so shouldn't be huge issue.

Paul_Scholes18

If Hazard goes from Chelsea without a top quality replacement, Spurs selling maybe Eriksen and not buying much and Arsenal maybe buying mediocre players then I think a smaller team could challenge for top 4.

Hopefully we improve enough to push for the title though, but that will probably not happen.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
If Hazard goes from Chelsea without a top quality replacement, Spurs selling maybe Eriksen and not buying much and Arsenal maybe buying mediocre players then I think a smaller team could challenge for top 4.

Hopefully we improve enough to push for the title though, but that will probably not happen.
Well Chelsea have already signed Pulisic, who is probably their replacement for Hazard. Though he isn't near as good as Hazard, he certainly has a high ceiling.

ExecutionerWasp001

Looking at the PL itself it is extremely poor. As of yesterday we had Spurs in 3rd place who had lost nearly a third of their games. Chelsea & Arsenal could take the remaining CL places having won just over half their games. We have a City side that is so financially doped that they are accumulating record points totals & have opposition teams parking the bus in both home & away fixtures. This same team can't make a dent in the CL.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Well Chelsea have already signed Pulisic, who is probably their replacement for Hazard. Though he isn't near as good as Hazard, he certainly has a high ceiling.
Pulisic will never be even half the player Hazard is.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Pulisic will never be even half the player Hazard is.
Well the early potential he showed he could be as good but his development hasn't been at that level in the last two years. He has that ceiling, whether he'll reach it in the long term is something different. Don't think he will personally.

debunkology

Marketing. The PL started earlier than everyone else and managed to establish big fan bases all around the world.
The Serie A was way ahead of the Premier League back in the mid 90s The EPL was still recovering from being banned from Europe and getting it's house in order. While Serie A was buying up the worlds best foreign talent. Even millions in England used to watch the Serie A in it's heyday when it was on mainstream TV on Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings.

The reason for the EPL's success, was because of the domestic TV rights. It's why the original big 5 (Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Everton, Tottenham) wanted to break away. Then the revenues of the English clubs skyrocketed.

People don't care about Wolves or Watford. They care about United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. It's not about parity, it's about having more teams with a big following, and those teams being good enough to sustain interest long enough to turn it into genuine fandom.
If you said that back in 1992, when the EPL started you'd say

"People don't care about Newcastle. They care about Liverpool (18 league titles), Arsenal (10), Everton (9), and United (7)

If you said that back in 1996,

"People don't care about Chelsea. They care about United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle.

If you said that back in 2008,

"People don't care about Man City, they care about United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Chelsea.

Anyone who is old enough to see the rise of Chelsea and Man City, would not underestimate any EPL club that has a backing. Man City went from third tier football to having a brand new stadium and winning the EPL within 10 years. Now they are selling 400,000 shirts globally every year. Yet 10 years ago they were not even near 5 figures.

The football landscape changes all the time. The only thing that seems to remain the same is that Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate La Liga.

24 clubs have won the English top division since it's inception. Only 9 La Liga clubs have won the Spanish top division since it's inception.
5 English clubs have won the European Cup since it's inception, only 2 La Liga clubs have won it.

It's the overall package that makes the EPL great.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The Serie A was way ahead of the Premier League back in the mid 90s The EPL was still recovering from being banned from Europe and getting it's house in order. While Serie A was buying up the worlds best foreign talent. Even millions in England used to watch the Serie A in it's heyday when it was on mainstream TV on Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings.
Serie A was fueled by sugar daddy money and never even tried to make money through big commercial revenue outside of the obvious shirt sponsorship deals. They woke up at the beginning of this decade when the investors stopped putting their own money in. Berlusconi's money dried up and Milan wasn't competitive anymore. Massimo Moratti spent almost a billion of his or his company's money until he matched the success of his father by winning the treble, the following year he stopped and Inter drowned in debt without a chance of getting back to the top level. Pretty much all success stories of Italian football are based on investors. Parma, Lazio are other obvious examples in the 90's. Italian football is still way behind the other top leagues when it comes to commercial success despite its wonderful history.

The Premier League's marketing campaign was entirely new and it took years for other leagues to even realise how brilliant that concept was. It also happened at the perfect timing with the Bosman ruling completely changing the game and giving the top leagues and the top clubs in those leagues an easy way to make use of that financial advantage.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's the overall package that makes the EPL great.
And i repeat: the vast majority of people don't give a rats arse about the overall package. They care about their team. You guys here on the caf, how many of you would follow the premier league if manchester united didn't play in it?

It's the same everywhere. Nobody gives a shite about how good wolves or watford are. The whole "the PL is good because everybody can beat everyone else" is a platitude, mostly made up by sky and parroted by fans. The truth is much simpler: United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are 4 of the 8 most followed and supported clubs in the world. Spurs are growing, and city, while not having that many fans, is an unfortunately entertaining madman's project, lead by famous names

And anybody with a big ownership backing can become a huge club. That's not limited to PL, PSG is proof of that

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Talking about Serie A, until only a few years ago didn’t the league collectively earn more TV money than La Liga if you added up the totals for all 20 clubs, when it was clear that La Liga was by far the stronger league?

The smallest La Liga clubs were only earning about 12 million euros a year which was disgraceful. I guess that showed how poor a job La Liga and many of their clubs did in terms of negotiating and marketing.

MysticRed

Supports
Liverpool
Talking about Serie A, until only a few years ago didn’t the league collectively earn more TV money than La Liga if you added up the totals for all 20 clubs, when it was clear that La Liga was by far the stronger league?

The smallest La Liga clubs were only earning about 12 million euros a year which was disgraceful. I guess that showed how poor a job La Liga and many of their clubs did in terms of negotiating and marketing.
It’s because the revenue distribution in la liga is massively weighted to Real Madrid and Barcelona allowing them to almost have their pick at top talent. Leaving the other clubs bean counting.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
And i repeat: the vast majority of people don't give a rats arse about the overall package. They care about their team. You guys here on the caf, how many of you would follow the premier league if manchester united didn't play in it?

It's the same everywhere. Nobody gives a shite about how good wolves or watford are. The whole "the PL is good because everybody can beat everyone else" is a platitude, mostly made up by sky and parroted by fans. The truth is much simpler: United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are 4 of the 8 most followed and supported clubs in the world. Spurs are growing, and city, while not having that many fans, is an unfortunately entertaining madman's project, lead by famous names

And anybody with a big ownership backing can become a huge club. That's not limited to PL, PSG is proof of that
Of course I would. We've been depressingly awful the entire season and yet I still find myself tuning in to watch the likes of Wolves and Everton play. Viewing figures actually back that up, too. It's been a decade since a team won the league back to back. We could well have our 4th different winner in 4 years. There are genuine battles going on for positions all over the place.

La Liga, in contrast, has had only 1 occurrence in 15 years that Barca or Madrid hasn't won it. Munich have won the last 6 titles, PSG 7 out of the last 8. Variety is the spice of life my friend. I don't know why there is this desperation to paint the league as poor or as the same as any other top league, because it isn't.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

I watch nearly every match I can from Sky, I’m a football supporter as well as a club supporter. That’s a pretty odd comment you made there to be honest, I know for sure I’m not the only one like me, there is a difference from being a club fan boy and a football supporter.

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Of course I would. We've been depressingly awful the entire season and yet I still find myself tuning in to watch the likes of Wolves and Everton play. Viewing figures actually back that up, too. It's been a decade since a team won the league back to back. We could well have our 4th different winner in 4 years. There are genuine battles going on for positions all over the place.

La Liga, in contrast, has had only 1 occurrence in 15 years that Barca or Madrid hasn't won it. Munich have won the last 6 titles, PSG 7 out of the last 8. Variety is the spice of life my friend. I don't know why there is this desperation to paint the league as poor or as the same as any other top league, because it isn't.

It’s simply fanboyism, Look at the clubs sitting 4th in other leagues Getafe in Spain, Frankfurt in Germany, St Etienne in France, Atalanta in Italy... it’s hardly the who’s who of top European clubs.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
My only criticism to the Premier League: with the budgets available, you guys really could have much better squads.

I think the excess of money created "laziness" and made clubs go for obvious targets instead of following the shortlists made by the Football Department.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
My only criticism to the Premier League: with the budgets available, you guys really could have much better squads.

I think the excess of money created "laziness" and made clubs go for obvious targets instead of following the shortlists made by the Football Department.
It’s the whole English teams are *forced* to play more. Selling clubs and agents know the money is there so the price is always inflated. Also the need for a work permit with non EU players is also a stumbling block. But yeah I agree the money should be better spent.

My only criticism of the PL is the failure by most teams to play their own youth talent and prefer to buy a foreign player. I’m actually glad to see young British players finially moving to other leagues.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It’s the whole English teams are *forced* to lay more. Selling clubs and agents know the money is there so the price is always inflated. Also the need for a work permit do non EU players is also a stumbling block. But yeah I agree the money should be better spent.

My only criticism of the PL is the failure by most teams not to play their own youth talent and prefer to buy a foreign player. I’m actually glad to see young British players finially moving to other leagues.
That only happened because EPL clubs, as soon as they got their hands on top dollar (or should I say pound), they started to follow the "Big Spender Game" that city and Chelsea started.
And that's why I said going for the obvious targets was "laziness" and only helps agents, because it starts bid wars and suddenly a guy from Toulouse costs 30M minimum.

About not investing on their academies: it's a worldwide problem. Bernardo Silva and João Cancelo had to leave Benfica to have regular first team football (our Football Department was quite poor back then), Eto'o was part of Real Madrid's youth teams and had to go for Mallorca to get into the first team, and the list could go on for pages.

That's why having a strong and organized Football Department is very important: they make the major plan and they know player x from the u19 team will get his spot in the squad in 2/3 years.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool

There is some element of that, but the English league has always been painted as the best/most exciting/whatever - a large part of that is just marketing.

Between 96-03 when Man Utd and Arsenal won every league and in Spain you had a bunch of winners including Deportivo and Valencia, the English league marketing team was still in full force - the English league was nowhere near the best (Italy), nor most exciting (Spain)

Same as between 04-10 when Chelsea and Manchester United swept the league trophies - at least it was the best league in the world during this time though.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
Also, this year there has been a genuine race. But when was the last real race? Leicester was exciting because it was Leicester, there wasn’t really a race. 13/14 maybe?

Since then Real Madrid/Atletico have often been within a win of Barcelona in Spain’s titles.

debunkology

There is some element of that, but the English league has always been painted as the best/most exciting/whatever - a large part of that is just marketing.
You can only market a product so much. But people ultimately tune in to watch FOOTBALL.

EPL games are just more exciting to watch than other leagues. It's that simple.

When the Serie A was king in the 1990s with the worlds best players, it wasn't as marketable because slow defensive football is not "marketable".

The product of the Premier League is the actual games themselves. That's what people care about.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Especially teams lower in the table. A lot of them have wage bills larger than clubs that compete for Europe in other leagues and are still terrible.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't know why there is this desperation to paint the league as poor or as the same as any other top league, because it isn't.
Nobody's painting the league as poor, because it isn't
I watch nearly every match I can from Sky, I’m a football supporter as well as a club supporter. That’s a pretty odd comment you made there to be honest, I know for sure I’m not the only one like me, there is a difference from being a club fan boy and a football supporter.
So question for both of you then: how many PL games not involving a top 6 did you watch this season? And do you remember which games?

And still relevant to the point: how many games in the domestic TV slots(so excluding the saturday 15 PM) didn't involve a top 6 this season?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
You can only market a product so much. But people ultimately tune in to watch FOOTBALL.

When the Serie A was king in the 1990s with the worlds best players, it wasn't as marketable because slow defensive football is not "marketable".

The product of the Premier League is the actual games themselves. That's what people care about.
Serie A and La Liga were the most viewed leagues in Europe. But back in the days, technology and economy were not so "developed" as today, so the money involved and the amount of people they could reach was very limited not only by technology, but also by the fact that Asian markets (wtih the exception of Japan) didn't had interest or financial conditions they have today. Not to mention USA market: back in the days US folks could care less about "soccer".

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Back when serie A was king serie A sides made more money from TV deals than PL sides.

People, for the most part, care about their team. And its rivals. Marketing, and the international success of manchester united, brought money to the PL. Then arsenal and chelsea and liverpool. Now city and spurs. It's a virtuous circle. Barcelona and Real Madrid for example up until a couple years ago, sold their tv rights individually, and made more money out of tv rights then the top PL sides(that is not the case anymore to my knowledge)

The quality of football or excitement of the league is a consequence, not the cause, for the PL being so rich

debunkology

Back when serie A was king serie A sides made more money from TV deals than PL sides.

People, for the most part, care about their team. And its rivals. Marketing, and the international success of manchester united, brought money to the PL. Then arsenal and chelsea and liverpool. Now city and spurs. It's a virtuous circle. Barcelona and Real Madrid for example up until a couple years ago, sold their tv rights individually, and made more money out of tv rights then the top PL sides(that is not the case anymore to my knowledge)

The quality of football or excitement of the league is a consequence, not the cause, for the PL being so rich

Domestic Football TV rights and their willingness to breakaway from the other 72 clubs in the Football league is the very reason why English clubs are rich. The first Premier League TV deal was a whopping £304 million back in 1992, what the Serie A could only dream of. Now worth £5 billion over 3 years.

Yes, people on the most part care about “their team”, that’s why the English second tier regularly gets more viewers in England than Spanish games not involving Barcelona or Real Madrid do in Spain.

There are over 92 professional clubs in England, which is ridiculous for a country of just 55 million. England being football crazy and the willingness to pay subscriptions is why the EPL is ultimately so rich. It's what made them rich in the first place.

Foreign fans are fickle. They change like the weather. Foreign fans need to be entertained first, then they “pick their team”, which is normally the one winning or a team containing a fellow countryman.

Like when Serie A sold it’s TV rights to channel 4 England in the 1990's for a pittance, people tuned in to watch Paul Gascoigne, Paul Ince, David Platt. But ultimately bored to tears by many games. The Serie A had all the glitz, glamour, best players, all the hype. Yet the games failed it, the crumbling stadiums failed it, the lack of attendances in games failed it. The overall package failed it.

Serie A had the opportunity to take over the world, but it didn't. Meanwhile La Liga still suffers from Barcelona and Real Madrid historically dominating.

As multi-millionaire Lee Loccca once famously said.

"When the product is right, you don’t have to be a great marketer.”

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I think it's really interesting that as the season has gone on and we're in the endgame, the top clubs look fecking terrible.

Tottenham/United/Arsenal and Chelsea are obviously flopping, but even looking at Liverpool and City they keep winning but the games are tough for them.

I think Wolves/Everton/Leicester/Watford will be so interesting next year. With the right signings they could be right up there.

Seems to be a bit of a lack of quality below them though. Can a team like Palace with players such as Wann Bisaka/Zaha etc kick on or not?

ivaldo

Between 96-03 when Man Utd and Arsenal won every league and in Spain you had a bunch of winners including Deportivo and Valencia, the English league marketing team was still in full force - the English league was nowhere near the best (Italy), nor most exciting (Spain)

Same as between 04-10 when Chelsea and Manchester United swept the league trophies - at least it was the best league in the world during this time though.
It has been, but doesn't affect what we have at this moment in time, which is what we are discussing.

Although we've had periods of dominance from some teams it's not remotely similar. Since 84/85 Deportivo has won it once, Valencia twice and A Madrid twice. Every other seasons it's been Real or Barca. In space of 7 years we could have more variance in winners than Spain has had in nearly 35.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

You can't market a turd and expect people to watch it. You can market the Russian league all you want, people still aren't going to watch it. You can also market the A-league or MLS all you want, even if it is in English and you still won't get people watching it.

And Spain has had 9 league winners in the entire history of their football league. England has 24, 6 just in the era of the PL.

I've never understood this argument tbh. If I'm a Nigerian, even if there is some great marketing telling me that the PL is the most exciting league. If I then tune in and find it as shit as people seem to think it will be, they wouldn't watch. They'd watch whatever league they do find exciting.

ivaldo

Nobody's painting the league as poor, because it isn't

So question for both of you then: how many PL games not involving a top 6 did you watch this season? And do you remember which games?

And still relevant to the point: how many games in the domestic TV slots(so excluding the saturday 15 PM) didn't involve a top 6 this season?
Comparatively so it is.

I don't remember the games, no. But then again I couldn't describe any of the games earlier this season we played in. I'd say there hasn't been a week gone by where I haven't watched a championship or premier league game without the top 6 playing. Often I watch several. Take a gander at the viewing figures of even the second division, or the attendence figures of the Championship for that matter, which was higher than La Liga last year. There's genuine interest well beyond the PL in this country.

The fact you're discussing the top 6, as opposed to the top 4, which would have been the case a few years ago, or the top two, which is the situation in La Liga, demonstrates the disparity between the two leagues. When the top 6 aren't playing one another, they'll be involved in over 50% of the games, so of course their involvement for TV is going to be high.

Classical Mechanic

For me, what really ended my interest in Italian football, along with the boring style, was the empty stadiums. It just kills a big part of the appeal for me. You can watch Championship games and the stadia and attendance is better than some Spanish and Italian top division game. Germany is the only country that beats the PL in this regard I think. The atmosphere over there throughout the league is probably the best.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool

To those people arguing you can’t market a turd, I disagree. But no one is arguing the Premier League is turd. It’s clearly a top league - but I do think you’re seriously underestimating a lot of factors here:
- timings (in particular to match the Asian market...Saturday and Sunday evening football)
- language (a decent amount of Asia/Southeast Asia speaks English)
- marketing (ties in to the above two)
- the increase in number of TVs at home and also the Internet age

It is certainly one of the most exciting leagues due to its end to end nature but the German league is nearly as fast and nearly as end to end.

To those arguing re: number of winners. Sure. I agree, but over certain seasons (7-10) there has been pure dominance in the English leagues (see two periods above), when the stance re it’s marketing hasn’t changed.
There’s also the shifting goals argument - “our league is the best even though our teams in Europe are crap because the top teams can be beaten by the smaller teams”
Except that argument doesn’t work when the top teams are notching up 100 points two seasons in a row or you have 3/4 semi finalists in two or three seasons (06-09) while also racking up quite a few poonra.

There’s no one single factor; it’s a multitude of the above and more. And most importantly it needed someone to realise its potential and execute that. Which happened. Some of the other leagues got left behind because they refused to move their times for instance.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
For me, what really ended my interest in Italian football, along with the boring style, was the empty stadiums. It just kills a big part of the appeal for me. You can watch Championship games and the stadia and attendance is better than some Spanish and Italian top division game. Germany is the only country that beats the PL in this regard I think. The atmosphere over there throughout the league is probably the best.
This is a good point. Notts County being relegated means that a team playing in the 5th division will have a 20'000 seater stadium that averages about 8'000. That's not far off some of the Serie A teams.

debunkology

To those people arguing you can’t market a turd, I disagree. But no one is arguing the Premier League is turd. It’s clearly a top league - but I do think you’re seriously underestimating a lot of factors here:
- timings (in particular to match the Asian market...Saturday and Sunday evening football)
- language (a decent amount of Asia/Southeast Asia speaks English)
- marketing (ties in to the above two)
- the increase in number of TVs at home and also the Internet age
EPL timings are never to purposely match the Asian market.

When the EPL started, All they did was copy the Americans. They changed from the tradition of playing on a Saturday, to also offering a game on a Sunday. They also offered "Monday Night Football" (Which is played at the very early hours in Asia).

However this change of tradition could only happen in England when it comes to football. The reason other countries do not change their traditional ways is because their stadiums would be empty.....The ones they actually fill normally that is, since other leagues have a problem with attendances.

English Premier League has the highest total attendance in Europe. The English Championship is third behind the Bundesliga. Bradford City and Portsmouth in 2017 had a higher attendance than 7 La Liga clubs in the same season. And they were playing in England's third division.

If this gives the EPL an advantage, it's more of consequence than marketing. Since the support by English fans is there no matter what. Not with other leagues.

And it's not like Asian fans cannot watch other European leagues at the weekend. There are plenty of games available.

As for language. That is a total nonsense. I've seen far more Serie A games and La Liga games over the years than the Bundesliga. And I can speak German but zero Italian and little Spanish. Language has no bearing on whether I'd want to watch a game of football.

Yes there are minor factors and the EPL happens to tick all the boxes. But the biggest factor is the football on display and the domestic fans. Other leagues don't have that, and that's why they aren't top dog.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Domestic Football TV rights and their willingness to breakaway from the other 72 clubs in the Football league is the very reason why English clubs are rich. The first Premier League TV deal was a whopping £304 million back in 1992, what the Serie A could only dream of. Now worth £5 billion over 3 years.

Yes, people on the most part care about “their team”, that’s why the English second tier regularly gets more viewers in England than Spanish games not involving Barcelona or Real Madrid do in Spain.

There are over 92 professional clubs in England, which is ridiculous for a country of just 55 million. England being football crazy and the willingness to pay subscriptions is why the EPL is ultimately so rich. It's what made them rich in the first place.

Foreign fans are fickle. They change like the weather. Foreign fans need to be entertained first, then they “pick their team”, which is normally the one winning or a team containing a fellow countryman.

Like when Serie A sold it’s TV rights to channel 4 England in the 1990's for a pittance, people tuned in to watch Paul Gascoigne, Paul Ince, David Platt. But ultimately bored to tears by many games. The Serie A had all the glitz, glamour, best players, all the hype. Yet the games failed it, the crumbling stadiums failed it, the lack of attendances in games failed it. The overall package failed it.

Serie A had the opportunity to take over the world, but it didn't. Meanwhile La Liga still suffers from Barcelona and Real Madrid historically dominating.

As multi-millionaire Lee Loccca once famously said.

"When the product is right, you don’t have to be a great marketer.”
That post is full of myths and to a certain extent full of arrogance, like we are the best and the rest of the world is shit.

Hulksmash

The Premier league was clever to let Investment in. Take for example Germany, who are also football mad but got behind because they are blocking Investors. Now the league is dying with Bayern winning every year

Last edited by a moderator:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The Premier league was clever to let Investment in. Take for example Germany, who are also football mad but got behind because they are blocking Investors. Now the league is dying with Bayern winning every year
But is the German league dying. I read that their clubs have the highest average attendance figures.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
And what myths were they exactly?

Please point them out.
La Liga, Serie A or overall packages but please feel free to post it. It’s entertaining to read. Adds value to the package. I guess you can sell it globally and go on for world domination.