The Reluctance To Support United

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Just thought I'd create this thread after the Sevilla game and reading some shocking posts afterwards.

There has been a massive swing back into the lack of actual support for United.

So much so we have people willing the FA to hand City the FA cup already or willing Brighton to beat us tomorrow as they have a better chance of beating City (truly a shocking comment, considering the last time Brighton played City).

We are still in the cup, massive game tomorrow, we sit well above the team we are about to play,
A team who have won three of their last five games, same as us, a team who just lost to Spurs for feck sake.

Have some faith, support your fecking team, we have beat City this season already, we can beat Brighton.

Moonwalker

A lot of your posts could be explained away with some ease, if your last name were Kind.

AndySmith1990

Support doesn't mean behave like a brainwashed cultist. It's possible to be critical and discuss things that can be improved and still be supportive of something/someone. Actual support is only relevant during matches anyway. Waving your pom poms about whilst posting on a forum means nothing and is only self serving

Champ

Support doesn't mean behave like a brainwashed cultist. It's possible to be critical and discuss things that can be improved and still be supportive of something/someone. Actual support is only relevant during matches anyway. Waving your pom poms about whilst posting on a forum means nothing and is only self serving
Does support mean actively encourage the opposition now yeah?

Never actually believe your team can actually win despite proving they can repeatedly throughout the season?

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Once the first whistle is blown everyone is supporting the team. Football fans moaning and groaning is nothing new or exclusive to our fanbase. We have a lot of legitimate reasons to be concerned with the current state of the season.

Nero

It's definitely one of the most negative fan forums on the internet. The self-loathing is incessant.

Moonwalker

I've always thought it's incredibly conceited to think anything written here, has an effect on anyone but the forum dwellers themselves, so you should post less hyperbolic negativity for the sake of our own sanity.

To the best of our knowledge, no one of import even reads this. It doesn't, therefore, count as support. At best it's just fandom.

Which is why, the constant, strenuous appeal for people to have the right opinions and be the right fans, is just as fatuous as the negativity it seeks to eradicate.

edcunited1878

Once the first whistle is blown everyone is supporting the team. Football fans moaning and groaning is nothing new or exclusive to our fanbase. We have a lot of legitimate reasons to be concerned with the current state of the season.
People rather not win so they can avoid losing in the future or just avoid it overall is just an abject mentality.

hobbers

Which is why, the constant, strenuous appeal for people to have the right opinions and be the right fans, is just as fatuous as the negativity it seeks to eradicate.
The old case of those who moan about moaners being even worse than the moaners themselves. Very true.

Pity any fan who can watch their team humiliated by Liverpool, toyed with by Newcastle, then piss away a 2 goal lead against some relegation candidate pensioners from a tinpot league, and still only post "positive" tripe.

pascell

Just thought I'd create this thread after the Sevilla game and reading some shocking posts afterwards.

So much so we have people willing the FA to hand City the FA cup already or willing Brighton to beat us tomorrow as they have a better chance of beating City (truly a shocking comment, considering the last time Brighton played City).

We are still in the cup, massive game tomorrow, we sit well above the team we are about to play,
A team who have won three of their last five games, same as us, a team who just lost to Spurs for feck sake.

Have some faith, support your fecking team, we have beat City this season already, we can beat Brighton.
They've decided to support Arsenal instead it seems.

Champ

I've always thought it's incredibly conceited to think anything written here, has an effect on anyone but the forum dwellers themselves, so you should post less hyperbolic negativity for the sake of our own sanity.

To the best of our knowledge, no one of import even reads this. It doesn't, therefore, count as support. At best it's just fandom.

A very reasonable response,

I just assume a Manchester United Forum would be full of people actively willing the team to do well.

Currently it isn't.we have people actively wanting Brighton to beat us tomorrow for example.

Criticism is one thing, wanting the opposition to win is most definitely not fandom, being a supporter or really a person having any vested interest in United in my opinion.

ScholesyTheWise

It's definitely one of the most negative fan forums on the internet. The self-loathing is incessant.
1) There aren't that many forums for fans of teams who've experienced such a dramatic fall from grace (tons of fans had no choice but to be accustomed to/spoiled by SAF, and they didn't ever have the chance to learn what it's like to support a team that doesn't do well)

2) At least some of the negativity [the constructed one, not the matchday knee-jerking] , is just being realistic to some. We're often shit, and our owners are shit. What can you say? Fans who can't also see the positives in United are annoying, no doubt.

The negativity you're writing about, which is over the top at times , is still easier to digest than t0p-re d - ism.

the type of fans who "support the team at all costs, never criticize, never do this and that" are the most unbearable.

Manncunian

Post as shite as your tag line
Surely his tagline may as well read “avid supporter of Vladimir Putin”?

And surely that’s a breach of forum rules/etiquette and therefore a permanent ban. I’ve seen people get banned for less. The fact they’re brazen enough to even put it, rather than just think it privately to themselves, is really quite something.

It’s a pretty abhorrent tagline. Or am I missing a joke?

Champ

The old case of those who moan about moaners being even worse than the moaners themselves. Very true.

Pity any fan who can watch their team humiliated by Liverpool, toyed with by Newcastle, then piss away a 2 goal lead against some relegation candidate pensioners from a tinpot league, and still only post "positive" tripe.
I'm not asking for positivity all the time, I'm asking for people to support their supposed supported team, stop wanting the opposition to win over us for feck sake.

Champ

Surely his tagline may as well read “avid supporter of Vladimir Putin”?

And surely that’s a breach of forum rules/etiquette and therefore a permanent ban. I’ve seen people get banned for less. The fact they’re brazen enough to even put it, rather than just think it privately to themselves, is really quite something.

It’s a pretty abhorrent tagline. Or am I missing a joke?
I do hope this is sarcasm,

My tagline is about fecking Eurovision :lol:

cyberman

There’s also shitting on everything at an enormous level after every set back as if the sky is falling in.
If you think I’m lying just pick a page from the top 4 thread and give it a read after another team wins and we haven’t even played yet.

Moonwalker

I just assume a Manchester United Forum would be full of people actively willing the team to do well.

Currently it isn't.we have people actively wanting Brighton to beat us tomorrow for example.

Criticism is one thing, wanting the opposition to win is most definitely not fandom, being a supporter or really a person having any vested interest in United in my opinion.
I'm sure most people on here want the team to do well. I haven't read any of these posts you are referring to, but I'd be shocked if they are not the tiniest minority.

The thing is, though, people cope with reality in different ways and express themselves in different ways. I'm sure noodlehair moans at the grocery as well. That's just how some people talk.

Which is why, the attempt to police these things, and bring about a some ever elusive utopian state, in which everyone would just think positively and optimistically, is as futile as it is tiring. Worse still, on occasion it assumes the form of very sickly authoritarianism.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

Posters on this forum were spitting feathers and doom mongering way back in the 07/08 season. You should have a look at the thread when City beat us in February around the 50th anniversary of the Munich disaster.

Drizzle

There’s also shitting on everything at an enormous level after every set back as if the sky is falling in.
If you think I’m lying just pick a page from the top 4 thread and give it a read after another team wins and we haven’t even played yet.
Yes but that's fine too. It's fine to overreact. It's football, emotions run high. It's not a problem. Stop making it a problem.

ScholesyTheWise

By the way, I do find fans wanting us to lose to Brighton in the cup a bit strange (didn't see such posts as of yet),
because I don't see a greater theoretical gain for us in losing rather than winning,
but I can totally relate and won't judge them.

I remember actively wanting United to lose in Moyes, LVG, or Mourinho's time with us,
when it was very very clear that the longer each of them stay, the more damage will be done.

It's been discussed to death and I don't want to derail the thread,
but yes, I and many others are of the belief that losing a football match can be better for our team in the long run. Shock horror.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Who wants us to actively lose tomorrow?

I think we will lose tomorrow, but I obviously want us to win... I can't imagine there's many actual fans that want us to lose though?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I know what you need to do. Create change.org petition

cyberman

Yes but that's fine too. It's fine to overreact. It's football, emotions run high. It's not a problem. Stop making it a problem.
It is when you’re trying to have a conversation when we’re actually doing well? That’s the thing, the team gets shit on even if we win. The team gets criticised a lot for losing a game that hasn’t been played yet.
There is no high from them. If we win tomorrow the woe are us crowd since the draw will simply jump into the final build up thread lamenting a loss that hasn’t yet again happened yet.
Im not saying pretend we’re great when we’re not but top 4 and a chance of two trophies was literally being played down last week by posters claiming we would finish 6th or 7th after the summer

Chief123

This is exactly what the posts were like in the pre-match Sevilla thread. Over confidence in us comfortably beating them because of how shite they were compared to us.

ScholesyTheWise

It is when you’re trying to have a conversation when we’re actually doing well? That’s the thing, the team gets shit on even if we win. The team gets criticised a lot for losing a game that hasn’t been played yet.
There is no high from them. If we win tomorrow the woe are us crowd since the draw will simply jump into the final build up thread lamenting a loss that hasn’t yet again happened yet.
Im not saying pretend we’re great when we’re not but top 4 and a chance of two trophies was literally being played down last week by posters claiming we would finish 6th or 7th after the summer
I don't get the set of fans who're annoyed when someone writes "Glad we won, at the same time, we were crap and I'm concerned about this and that".
This is perfectly fine, whenever it happens. Being happy with a result and also criticizing a performance should be something that's accepted on any platform.

Over the top, hysterical, toxic stuff - less so.
But then again these definitions are so subjective that you can't do much about it.
Just remind yourself that people's views can differ from yours massively, and move on.
Easier said than done, but needs to be said.

Manncunian

I do hope this is sarcasm,

My tagline is about fecking Eurovision :lol:
And how is anyone supposed to know this? Therefore it’s still in bad taste.

How is it even anything to do with Eurovision? Seems like a convenient excuse to have such a tagline and not get banned. It literally makes no sense with regards to Eurovision.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Hard to support players like maguire and sancho that have had chance after chance and continually let us down but are still getting paid over half million a week.

They serve up another turd show tomorrow no doubt.

Revaulx

Is the amount one is allowed to moan proportional to the length of time one has been a fan, or the proximity of one’s place of birth to Old Trafford? I was born 2.15 miles away and first went in 1970, so my Moan Allowance must be massive :cool:

Red00012

There’s criticism which is ok to an extent but then there’s the OTT negativity by more than a few posters which is just strange .
There is people on here wanting Brighton to beat us tomorrow so we might / mighnt lose to city in the final. Granted we won’t be favourites if we get to the final but there’s still a chance we could beat them and stop the treble as well as adding a 2nd trophy .

JagUTD

People having a go at the OP but there is definitely a bunch of United fans who are always negative. There are some here who fit that bill as well.

But sometimes, games like Sevilla make it impossible for even the most biased of fans to be positive. It was embarrassing and while we have excuses like fatigue, injuries and suspensions, you still expect better than whatever that shite was.

I'm all for calling out fans who entirely negative when it's not called for, but Thursday was justified.