The Rise Of Ruben Amorim

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That's a great question.

Jurgen Klopp is the answer. Other than him though...
IF Jurgen Klopp is the answer, then surely Pep is the actual answer?

And if they're the answer, then is Tuchel the actual actual answer? (depending on your definition of success I suppose)

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
When was the last time a manager jumped from a lesser league into success at a big club in a big league?

Not having a go by the way, just genuinely curious.
I am sure there are others in between but Jose went from the same league to a biggish club in Chelsea and found success.

On the other hand, AVB completely failed at Chelsea.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If we're including Spurs then Pochettino could also be mentioned, who achieved more at Spurs than Ange has. And we all know how well he got on at actual big clubs...
Poch didn't go to Spurs from a lesser league, he went from the same league.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Best we could’ve hoped for out of the candidates available.

Cross-career win percentage only bettered by Pep across all current managers, style reasonably similar to what we currently apply (vertical, direct, central overloads) albeit with a different formation.

Similar defensive issues too with wide open spaces on the flanks for opposition runners to exploit….

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Let's hope it's as utterly shit for you lot over the next 11 years as it has been for us :)
I mean, he could crash and burn AVB style which is always the risk - but this isn’t moyes we’re talking about here. A closer equivalent to that would’ve been going for someone like Southgate. Or Gerrard.

They’ve picked someone with the second highest win percentage (behind Pep) and a reasonable expectation that he can work with the players available looking at the data and respective playing styles.

Can’t say in all honesty that they haven’t done their due diligence even if he bombs.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
As much as the myth of Amorim excites me, I just can't look past the weak chin, girly arms and diminutive stature. He's not Klopp. :(

Conor

Bald Hag will do a better job than him next year if he's still in a job.

RuudTom83

Following Klopp could also help as the expectations would naturally be lower, plus the media are generally more forgiving towards Liverpool when they have one of their off years.

Those 2 combined would make the first year somewhat of a free pass.

Player wise Salah and VVD only have 1 year left on their contracts so those two could leave. But squad wise from a glance seem to be in a good place.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Following Klopp could also help as the expectations would naturally be lower, plus the media are generally more forgiving towards Liverpool when they have one of their off years.

Those 2 combined would make the first year somewhat of a free pass.

Player wise Salah and VVD only have 1 year left on their contracts so those two could leave. But squad wise from a glance seem to be in a good place.
If serious, we have some really good youngsters coming through which Ruben can make use of. Quansah, Danns, Koumas, Bajtectic, Tyler Morton (loaned out) and Bradley. In two years time some of them should be as established as Elliot and Jones have now become.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
When was the last time a manager jumped from a lesser league into success at a big club in a big league?

Not having a go by the way, just genuinely curious.
Well we have one that has been a massive, resounding success at United. But Ange after that.

RedRocket9908

I really dont understand why Liverpool are in for this guy, he really doesnt seem qualified to manage a club like Liverpool and may struggle with the huge step up.

Also Liverpool speaking to him at this point (if the claims they are are true) is a bit wrong as his current team are still in a title race and it could unsettle the squad and possibly cost them the title.

InfiniteBoredom

I really dont understand why Liverpool are in for this guy, he really doesnt seem qualified to manage a club like Liverpool and may struggle with the huge step up.

Also Liverpool speaking to him at this point (if the claims they are are true) is a bit wrong as his current team are still in a title race and it could unsettle the squad and possibly cost them the title.
Never get this line of thought. People get headhunted all the time across various professions, it’s on them to keep performing according to their labour contract, not the prospective employer.

The faux outrage from football fans about players/coaches being tapped up is tiresome, everybody does it, it’s part of the industry.

Pughnichi

Looks decent for Liverpool but following Klopp will be a struggle and players could easily down tools if they don’t approve.

Be interesting to see how some of the older players get on next season. VVD, Salah.

we clearly saw a dip from even our most experienced players. Was that desire or just age…or a bit of both. If Salah and VVD drop off slightly, Liverpool won’t be what we’ve come to expect from them

InfiniteBoredom

Frank Rijkaard (in between them) has a good shout.
I think the poster who asked that meant just the PL. If we apply it to other leagues then there’s been loads more. Heck, Pep/Zidane/Alonso are since they went from coaching B teams to winning trophies immediately.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I think the poster who asked that meant just the PL. If we apply it to other leagues then there’s been loads more. Heck, Pep/Zidane/Alonso are since they went from coaching B teams to winning trophies immediately.
He said "at a big club in a big league" so that's why I thought of Rijkaard. I excluded the ones like Pep and Zidane who came through the ranks of the club they had successes with as they didn't really come from a smaller league to begin with.

Even if you think all big leagues (Italy, Spain, England for me), there aren't that many who've successfully made the step from the likes of The Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Austria, Greece, ... Perhaps Van Gaal as well but he won the CL with Ajax before he went to Barcelona.

soapythecat

Fair play to Liverpool - I think they've got themselves a good manager there. Big, big shoes to step into but he's moving in a culture and set up that will only support him correctly. They are a well run club with a very good playing staff and youth set up. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
i don't want anyone bitching and moaning if he does well. "United should have got him" etc etc Looking at all the criticisms here, he is not well thought of.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
i don't want anyone bitching and moaning if he does well. "United should have got him" etc etc Looking at all the criticisms here, he is not well thought of.
That's not the impression I get from the last two pages. Who is criticizing him?

It's more that it's a risky hire because it's a huge step up from a top club at his home league to a massive club in a foreign country, with huge expectations, succeeding a manager like Klopp. He's unproven, that's basically the only criticism you can argue at this point. High risk, high reward hire imo but I'd rather go for someone with his profile than a dull hire where you know the lows wouldn't be extremely low but the upside is also capped because of the manager himself.

RedRocket9908

I dont think its that he is not well thought of, I think a lot of people just cant understand why he is being rayed so highly at this point and why Liverpool are interested when he is no more qualified for the job there than Steven Gerrard is.